Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #141
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Interesting signing, but also concerning. I don't want RF starting ... ever. He is Matt Schaub 2.0

If they brought him in to get the drafted QB acclimated with NFL processes and act as a mentor from the professionalism perspective that's fine. Even if he had to come in for limited back-duty for some reason I wouldn't panic, but if we start him we are screwed.

One thing I do think this assures is that drafting JFF isnt going to happen. We are either going with Bortles if we take a QB at #1, or we are going in a different direction and grabbing a QB late in the first (if we work a trade), or with our 2nd pick.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #142
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
Interesting signing, but also concerning. I don't want RF starting ... ever. He is Matt Schaub 2.0
At the very least, he gives our rookie QB someone to beat in training camp other than Case Keenum.

He gives Case Keenum someone other than a rookie to beat out in training camp.

I'm not thrilled with the Fitzpatrick signing, but I'd feel better about a rookie, Case, or Tj starting if they had to beat out Fitz than just pulling each other's pud.
Old 03-21-2014   #143
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
At the very least, he gives our rookie QB someone to beat in training camp other than Case Keenum.

He gives Case Keenum someone other than a rookie to beat out in training camp.

I'm not thrilled with the Fitzpatrick signing, but I'd feel better about a rookie, Case, or Tj starting if they had to beat out Fitz than just pulling each other's pud.
This is pretty much where I'm at with this.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #144
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post

If they brought him in to get the drafted QB acclimated with NFL processes and act as a mentor from the professionalism perspective that's fine. Even if he had to come in for limited back-duty for some reason I wouldn't panic, but if we start him we are screwed.

One thing I do think this assures is that drafting JFF isnt going to happen. We are either going with Bortles if we take a QB at #1, or we are going in a different direction and grabbing a QB late in the first (if we work a trade), or with our 2nd pick.
He is Schaub 2.0 but at a much, much cheaper price to be a backup. I don't know if they expect Bortles to start right away or if they are gonna use RF for part of the season then give the keys to Bortles mid way...

Either way, this is becoming a very interesting off season...
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #145
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
He is Schaub 2.0 but at a much, much cheaper price to be a backup....
With Schaub we would have committed $14.5M towards the 2014 cap for the "veteran QB" position. At least $7M for 2015.

With Fitzpatrick we have $13.35M (or something like that) committed towards the "veteran QB" position..... $4.6M for 2015 at most.

Net savings about $3.5M
Old 03-21-2014   #146
edwardc5637
Rookie

Rep Power: 2228 edwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respectededwardc5637 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not happy with the way this is heading bringing in a bad QB to do what Schaub could have done then maybe drafting a QB this just makes no sense.
edwardc5637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #147
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78642 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc5637 View Post
Not happy with the way this is heading bringing in a bad QB to do what Schaub could have done then maybe drafting a QB this just makes no sense.
For half the money and to get rid of the stink from 2013

THINK
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #148
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc5637 View Post
He wore out his welcome with the masses. The fan backlash to seeing #8 trotting out on opening day would have been astronomical. Replacing him was a must.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #149
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
My problem is that they just gave him 4 million of our future capspace. I don't mind the player, but what does Fitzpatrick give you that a minimum salary Case Keenum doesn't? Experience? Is that it? You could sign a number of older vets for minimum deals and save ~3.5 million. I don't even like Keenum much, but I don't think Fitz gives us a considerably better chance of winning games over him. Certainly not 4 million dollars worth.
He's won more than zero games. He didn't have two decent halves of football followed by complete and utter incompetence. Keenum is garbage that wouldn't have had a shred of attention is he had played at Colorado School of Mines or Boulder Academy for the Hearing Impaired. He's a fringe player and you have to move on. Sign a more proven vet, draft a guy in rounds 2 or 3, and move on.
Old 03-21-2014   #150
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I got this funny feeling that OB is planning on playing Fitzpatrick this season. I don't want to think that but I can't convince myself otherwise. Unless that QB (probably Bortles) comes in and grabs the reigns and runs away with the job I think our starter just got signed.

Why is there no smiley for "I think I just threw up in the back of my mouth a little?"
This is one reason I think they might have someone in mind for rookie QB other than the top 3. They bring in Fitzpatrick knowing he's smart enough to get the system even if he isn't going to be great. He's able to at least start.

Then you draft a QB you're pretty sure you can develop but you don't know how fast. Sure, that might be Bortles or Bridgewater but it might be Garoppolo or Carr or someone else.

If your rookie QB beats out Fitzpatrick, great. If not, that's fine, too. If this rookie doesn't work out, then we'll probably be in a better position next year to draft a NEW rookie QB from (supposedly) a better crop of QBs.

Does this mean we might have a few years of suck if things go wrong? Yeah. But we had that anyway.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #151
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is one reason I think they might have someone in mind for rookie QB other than the top 3. They bring in Fitzpatrick knowing he's smart enough to get the system even if he isn't going to be great. He's able to at least start.

Then you draft a QB you're pretty sure you can develop but you don't know how fast. Sure, that might be Bortles or Bridgewater but it might be Garoppolo or Carr or someone else.

If your rookie QB beats out Fitzpatrick, great. If not, that's fine, too. If this rookie doesn't work out, then we'll probably be in a better position next year to draft a NEW rookie QB from (supposedly) a better crop of QBs.

Does this mean we might have a few years of suck if things go wrong? Yeah. But we had that anyway.
That's all I think this means - they don't want to have to start their choice for future starter immediately.
Old 03-21-2014   #152
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is one reason I think they might have someone in mind for rookie QB other than the top 3.
Initially, I felt the same way, but:

We WERE going to bring in a vet qb no matter what.

Be it fitz or whomever I dont think it has an impact on our #1 pick. Now had we traded for Mallet or made some kind of giant splash in another trade id agree.
Old 03-21-2014   #153
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

Be it fitz or whomever I dont think it has an impact on our #1 pick. Now had we traded for Mallet or made some kind of giant splash in another trade id agree.
Agreed. Fitz may start a few games, but in reality it has no bearing on what we do. BOB seems to be sold on who he wants at 1.1. Fitz may groom a guy picked later and get a few starts, but whoever we eventually draft, BOB will be all over them to get ready. This qb will be tied to BOBs legacy.
Old 03-21-2014   #154
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

Exactly. This move doesn't mean anything when it comes to our draft. You always want to have a vet, even if you're going with a QB at 1.1.

Carson Palmer had John Kitna. Eli had Kurt Warner. Leinart had Kurt Warner. Luck had Hasselbeck.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #155
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
BOB seems to be sold on who he wants at 1.1.

Can you explain why you think this is true? I haven't seen anything so far to say he is locked in on one player
Old 03-21-2014   #156
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Can you explain why you think this is true? I haven't seen anything so far to say he is locked in on one player
He walks out of Blakes pro day saying hes seen enough. He adds another vet qb and trades Schaub. He just seems like a guy who knows what he wants. I dont know who he wants, but to me BOB seems like hes ready at 1.1 JMO
Old 03-21-2014   #157
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21983 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He walks out of Blakes pro day saying hes seen enough. He adds another vet qb and trades Schaub. He just seems like a guy who knows what he wants. I dont know who he wants, but to me BOB seems like hes ready at 1.1 JMO

Yep. I think Bill knows who he wants and is ready to roll. Whether everyone else knows who they want is another issue, but, Bill has made his decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #158
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"He's seen enough" could also be translated as "This guy sucks." It really only means "Whatever I believed walking in here, I've already had confirmed." It doesn't say anything about what he believed going in.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #159
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah...I think we are taking Bortles too.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #160
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34103 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"He's seen enough" could also be translated as "This guy sucks." It really only means "Whatever I believed walking in here, I've already had confirmed." It doesn't say anything about what he believed going in.
So a guy scoring a 10 out of 10 from a HOF former QB would get a "this guy sucks" from our new HC? Hope not. Otherwise we made a bad hire. I think it is safe to say BoB likes Bortles. He has a history with BB's college coach and unless O'Leary told him BB was the real deal then BoB wouldn't have even been at the pro-day.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read