Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 03-20-2014   #1
JRingo
Rookie

Rep Power: 1977 JRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respectedJRingo is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston sports talk radio. 610 v. 790

Hope this is the right section. Who do you prefer? Can't stand Nick Wright in the morning. Don't really care how many cigs he smokes, his lib attitude and potty mouth. Like Koch and Kalu and it appears to me that 610 is trying to counter their success with Seth and Teddy 3 rings. Ted seems pretty arrogant to me. Really funny when all of these Guys try to act like experts on Basketball and Baseball. Just curious as to what others think...
JRingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #2
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston sports talk radio. 610 v. 790

I like pretty much the opposite of what everyone likes. I like 610 - the morning show, the 10-2 show, don't care for the afternoon show since josh left. Would rather listen to Charlie as long as he's talking about topics I care about. I like the afternoon show on 610 when Travis is there and I think they have dipped in ratings since josh left because They are adding Ted Johnson to the show and adding an extra hour.

I like the evening show. I like b straw too so I think it'll be a good listen. I like most of 610 except their afternoon show since josh left. Not a fan of Koch and Kalu. I mean...they are ok, but I can't listen to them daily.

My take on sports radio is maybe different from a lot of people because I have the radio on in my ear almost all day. When I'm getting read, on my way to work, at work, on my wY home, sometimes in the evenings. I listen to a lot of sports talk radio. Mainly 610.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #3
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Both 610 and 790 win. They're not Austin's 1300 The Zone.
Old 03-21-2014   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Can anyone tell the difference in voice from Matt Thomas to Charlie Palillo? They sound exactly the same to me.

I listen to both. Switch back and forth to avoid commercials and for times when they start talking about non-sports stuff, or playing some silly gameshow, or reading "strange" non sports news stories.

610 is much improved in the afternoons with Sean Pendergast. I still cant believe how long they let the Innes experiment go on.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #5
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80683 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

790 blows 610 away in every single time slot except the early afternoon when Jay Mohr is on 790.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #6
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I listen primarily to 610.

Josh was an idiot ... good riddance. Nick isn't far behind, but tolerable.

Sean and Rich are good, but mostly because of Sean Pendergast.

I also like Seth Payne. He and Sean should be paired in a prime slot.
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #7
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 112365 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the mornings its mostly 790. Wright and lopez do too many bits that just aren't funny to me. But they are Texans heavy so I do switch to them regularly. Afternoons I don;t like Seth Payne and his contrived anger. He's ok but not must listen to radio. I think Pallilo is very informed, but he just doesn't entertain me so I can't listen. All I know for sure is I am very happy about going into a football season and not have to hear Josh Innes and his lame schtick. I disliked him less over time, but during football season I don't want to listen to a DB fratboy.
Old 03-21-2014   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Love:
Lance Zierlein
Mike Meltser
Seth Payne
Charlie Pallilo
Sean Pendergast

Can't Stand:
Adam Clanton
Nick Wright
Greg Koch

So, I don't align with any particular station, or rarely with any particular show. I just kind of flip between stations as I get annoyed and/or the topics are compelling.
Old 03-21-2014   #9
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2738 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Love:
Lance Zierlein
Mike Meltser
Seth Payne
Charlie Pallilo
Sean Pendergast

Can't Stand:
Adam Clanton
Nick Wright
Greg Koch

So, I don't align with any particular station, or rarely with any particular show. I just kind of flip between stations as I get annoyed and/or the topics are compelling.
Put Meltser in the bottom category and I agree completely.
Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #10
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Hosts I cannot stand
Nick Wright
Jay Mohr (because he basically sticks to national stuff and is a fakeass Jim Rome, and I really dislike Jim Rome)
Rich Lord
John Lopez (Is he even on the radio anymore?)
Ted Johnson
Greg Koch

Hosts I can sit through without changing the dial
Matt Thomas
Sean Pendergast (although I really like him, I just cannot stand his co-host)
Adam Clanton (Mostly because I really like his co-host)
Seth Payne
Travis Johnson

Hosts that I make it a point to try and listen to
Charlie P.
LZ
Travis Rodgers (He is amazingly funny to me)
John Harris
N.D. Kalu (Which makes it really hard to listen to him because I think his partner isn't very good on the radio)
I guess that'd make me a 1560 fan but I usually end up listening to 790 while in my car (which really isn't that often). I think Charlie is the perfect host for my tastes, may be a bit dry, but very knowledgable. LZ and John Harris fall into the same category although some of Lance's humor seems eh. I think Travis Rodgers is the best funnyman of the group.

I'm still kind of sad that Wexler and Matt Jackson don't do radio right now in Houston they seemed like the perfect pair.
Old 03-21-2014   #11
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

LOVE Lance Z. His bit this morning, reading the Chronicle article about being #1 in morning ratings in a regal voice over the GoT theme music was great, especially his aside mentions of Clanton and the Matt Thomas call in.

I wish I could stand Charlie Palillo, but he's hard to listen to day in and day out, so I switch over to 610 mainly for Sean Pendergast.

Like ND, hate Koch. Koch is a homophobic, misogynistic old putz. HATE Jay Mohr. I wish 790 put local talent on instead of this Jim Rome wannabe. He's like Jim Rome with bad morning zoo sound effects. I'd rather listen to Pawnee's Crazy Ira and The Douche.

I don't mind MAD radio...I listen to them instead of Mohr occasionally if I want to listen to something while I'm working.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #12
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Lance z and johnny harris get into football x's and o's better then anybody else for me.

Charlie p's the grounded logic who rarely says something stupid. Problem is he doesn't say anything brilliant either. I can only handle him in moderate doses.

I hate john lopez and Prendergast has entertaining moments but...if I was a fan I would've listened to 1560 while he was there. Meltzer's neurotic as hell. I like Kalu. Indifferent on Koch. Lord is calming while being an overbearing pc conscious driven talking head. He's ok as a #2 but is best suited complementing another personality.

Overall i'd say I spend more time on 610 then anywhere else...
Old 03-22-2014   #13
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 2577 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

740-810 i listen to 790 except when they start talking about rockets. then i switch over to 610. ill listen to 610 over 790 whenever john mcclain is on.

pm. charlie pallilo, except when he has mchale on. then i switch to 610.

cant stand nik wright talking about his fat wife all the time. he doesnt know much about sports either.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #14
klockWork
Veteran

Rep Power: 17856 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer 790 because they're a more pure sports talk radio. 610 goof around too much and when they stray to off-sports topic they take forever to get back on topic. The other day there was an interesting segment about Schaub's contract. The segment lasted about 8 minutes. They spent only 1 minute talking about it and the remaining 7 minutes was about the lint in Lance pocket. Lame.
klockWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I prefer 790 because they're a more pure sports talk radio. 610 goof around too much and when they stray to off-sports topic they take forever to get back on topic. The other day there was an interesting segment about Schaub's contract. The segment lasted about 8 minutes. They spent only 1 minute talking about it and the remaining 7 minutes was about the lint in Lance pocket. Lame.
I'm a 790 guy with Seth and Mike mixed in and a little Teddy occasionally at night.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is that 1560 could've whooped everyone's ass in this market, but David Gow and Chris Larson EFFED it all up!!
Old 03-24-2014   #17
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32969 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm a 790 guy with Seth and Mike mixed in and a little Teddy occasionally at night.
You wear a Teddy at night? Little too much info ...
Old 03-25-2014   #18
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Used to be able to tolerate John Lopez, but his contention this morning that speed traps were necessary was ridiculous and ignorant. What a total tool.
Old 03-25-2014   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like The Blitz on 97.5 FM. Those two dudes are constantly cracking me up, and even amuse me when they are not talking about sports. Heck, they even make it entertaining to hear about sports that I'm not interested in. I know their style is not for everyone, but it works for me.

Behind that, I enjoy the N.D. Kalu/Greg Koch. I get what some folks don't like about Koch, but that's kind of his appeal to me. He's rough around the edges and very unpolished, so you often get a perspective that comes from the gut and has not been cleared by corporate.

I like Charlie P. He's dry, but dude rarely puts up with idiot calls. I cannot take too much of his baseball talk, though. He's a purist and I'm a hater. MLB could cease to exist and I would simply not care.

The Seth Payne show is fun. He's another unpolished athlete, often wondering out loud if he's in over his head. You get a good perspective of both pro football and insight into the early years of the Texans. I could hang out with that guy. He just seems real and not full of himself.

Lastly is Teddy "3 Rings" Johnson. I see that he's joined Rich and Sean Pendergast, which could be an interesting dynamic. I think Pendergast is quickly becoming a favorite for me. I remember his epic calls in Jim Rome's Smack Off over the years, but never got to hear him on 1560 because of their weak-assed signal. Now that I get to hear him regularly, he really shows a depth in intelligence, witty comments, and some just funny insight that has been really enjoyable.

As far as those I don't like, Josh Penis is gone!! Yay! Now if they could just jettison that Nick Wright doofus. I'm not a big fan of Lopez, but he's bearable, I guess. But add him with Wright, and I'd rather listen to white noise than waste any time getting aggravated with their blather.
Old 03-25-2014   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

MEH!! I love "the Cablinasian" but I can not fathom to listen to him alongside Rich Lord!! Lord is my most detested radio personality in this town!

I am glad that 1560 brought Travis Rodgers back from 11:00 to 1:00. At least they got that right whilst effing up everything else!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read