Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-21-2014   #121
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's racist!!!

Hey, if you can't beat 'em....

be honest now...
what do you think of Obsi O'Wan?
or maybe ObsiWalsh...

work with me here...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #122
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Here are the cheapest QBs from last year:

Code:
David Garrard	Jets	$1,000,000
Rex Grossman	Redskins	$960,000
Jon Kitna	Cowboys	$940,000
Dan Orlovsky	Buccaneers	$905,000
Seneca Wallace	Packers	$840,000
Luke McCown	Saints	$840,000
Jimmy Clausen	Panthers	$807,500
Matt Flynn	Packers	$715,000
Brady Quinn	Rams	$715,000
Colt McCoy	49ers	$702,500
Rusty Smith	Titans	$630,000
Joe Webb	Vikings	$508,129
Most of those would be fine for our purposes. They have all started NFL games, and they all cost 25% or less than what we are paying Fitz. If you need a QB with experience to coach up the rookie, then hire a QB coach that has played in the NFL. It's really not that hard. Rick is just pissing away money here, and in salary cap football, every dollar counts.
Maybe my math is trash, but if it's a two year deal with 4 mil. guaranteed that would mean he's getting 2 mil. a yr. how does those QB's salaries work to 25% less than what Fitz will get? If he manages to get the 3.75 with all the bonuses wouldn't that mean he exceeded expectations?

On the list you posted we've already had Grossman and Orlovsky on the Texans so how would they be fine for our purposes? BoB saw something he liked in Fitz otherwise he wouldn't have interviewed him.

It's salary cap football, only the money that counts against the cap counts. If he counts 3.35 mil. against the cap in 2014 I imagine his 2015 cap impact would be much lower.

I can live with this signing.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #123
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is the assumption that we have no leverage with Matt come from. Don't we benefit from waiting until June 1st to cut Matt? If another team wants him before the draft they will have to trade for him. Cutting him before then would not make any money sense.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #124
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Where is the assumption that we have no leverage with Matt come from. Don't we benefit from waiting until June 1st to cut Matt? If another team wants him before the draft they will have to trade for him. Cutting him before then would not make any money sense.
It depends on if the Texans want to reduce the cap hit this year and spread it out over next year as well. It actually makes more sense to me for them to take their lumps now and have no hit in 2015 when they will be ponying up all that money for JJ
Old 03-21-2014   #125
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's racist!!!

Doesn't count as racism when it's one sheep shagger to another.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #126
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I got this funny feeling that OB is planning on playing Fitzpatrick this season. I don't want to think that but I can't convince myself otherwise. Unless that QB (probably Bortles) comes in and grabs the reigns and runs away with the job I think our starter just got signed.

Why is there no smiley for "I think I just threw up in the back of my mouth a little?"
Old 03-21-2014   #127
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Other than Grossman and Flynn, none of those guys will be in the league next year. If "our purposes" are to remain the worst team in the league, OK. Otherwise, I think Fitz was the right way to go. I would have preferred spending a little more on Cassell, but it's not that big of a deal.
If we didn't sign Fitz to a two year deal, he'd be right with those guys next season. & if Dutchrudder would have raised the bar a bit in his chart, Fitzpatrick would have been on the list at $1.5M...... if the first year is for just 50% of the total value (which I'm sure it's not), we just gave him a 130% raise for what?

To make sure we're not stuck with..... Vick?
Old 03-21-2014   #128
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we didn't sign Fitz to a two year deal, he'd be right with those guys next season. & if Dutchrudder would have raised the bar a bit in his chart, Fitzpatrick would have been on the list at $1.5M...... if the first year is for just 50% of the total value (which I'm sure it's not), we just gave him a 130% raise for what?

See, I was all bummed out but that's just because I didn't see the bright side. Thanks for opening my eyes TK! When you put it that way it's actually.... no, wait it's just as bad. Maybe worse. Crap.
Old 03-21-2014   #129
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Maybe my math is trash, but if it's a two year deal with 4 mil. guaranteed that would mean he's getting 2 mil. a yr. how does those QB's salaries work to 25% less than what Fitz will get? If he manages to get the 3.75 with all the bonuses wouldn't that mean he exceeded expectations?
He might have gotten a $2M signing bonus with a $2M salary for 2014, giving him a $3M cap hit for 2014. There will be $1M dead money on next season & he'll probably stand to make $3M in salary, roster bonus, & incentives for a $4M cap hit, if he's on the team.

Notice the word "might" kind of like the words "I bet" means I'm looking in my pumpkin crystal ball, so don't get your panties in a wad... it's just speculation, not like I slapped yer mama or nothing.
Old 03-21-2014   #130
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
My problem is that they just gave him 4 million of our future capspace. I don't mind the player, but what does Fitzpatrick give you that a minimum salary Case Keenum doesn't? Experience? Is that it? You could sign a number of older vets for minimum deals and save ~3.5 million. I don't even like Keenum much, but I don't think Fitz gives us a considerably better chance of winning games over him. Certainly not 4 million dollars worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's where I am. We could have signed Brandon Spikes and Brandon Browner for that money and rolled with Keenum.
I am not taking for granted, until OB has a chance to personally work with all the QBs in the preseason, that Fitzpatrick is going to end up being our starting QB at any time. We'll see.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #131
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I bet Rick Smith insulted Cassel with a one year 1.5M offer
If that's all it took for Cassel to be insulted then he didn't want to come here anyway.
That's why they call it negotiations. I make an offer that's as LITTLE as I think I can get away with; you counter with as MUCH as you can get me to write a check for. Then we go from there.
If Cassel wanted to be under O'Brien again and if O'Brien wanted Cassel here seriously enough then the parties would have negotiated to some middle ground.
Didn't happen.
Old 03-21-2014   #132
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I got this funny feeling that OB is planning on playing Fitzpatrick this season. I don't want to think that but I can't convince myself otherwise. Unless that QB (probably Bortles) comes in and grabs the reigns and runs away with the job I think our starter just got signed.
You may be closer to the truth than any of us would like to admit.
Old 03-21-2014   #133
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Or if we hadn't singed Fitz, seeking employment he would have applied for and been hired as the first former NFL football player who to be the president of Harvard university. We will never know if either one would have become a reality because he became employed by the Texans.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #134
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course he signed to be the starter at the beginning of the season - that`s why he got that kinda money. We probably will draft a QB, but our plan is probably to let him sit and learn at the beginning.

I am alright with this signing - the money is on the high side, but it looks like we weren`t gonna spend big in FA anyways. I do believe we "want" to have another sucky year with another high draft pick, and then spending big in FA the year after that. It is not what I would`ve done, but I can`t really argue with it either.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #135
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 104354 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
O'Brian plans to start him. Draft & develop somebody but not from 1st rd. If I remember correctly he can throw a decent deep ball. I don't know, its been a strange, strange year
Here are some of what fans who have seen him play are saying:

Quote:
Michael Joseph Stachitus Top Commenter Salt Lake City, Utah

As a Bills fan, I can tell you that Fitzpatrick is a pretty good game manager. Here are the problems with him (and there are a lot): He can't throw the deep ball to save his life, he is not terribly accurate either, and he is about as far as a clutch QB you can get. If the game is on the line, you can almost guarantee Fitzpatrick will screw it up. If it isn't a critical situation, though, he usually makes decent decisions and gets the ball out quickly and efficiently. He is a smart guy with no arm talent. He also does poorly under pressure (as in blitz situations), despite his quick release.
Yea, great signing. He is far and away better than what we already have. /sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Call me crazy, but I can get behind Fitz more than I can Schaub.
Ok, you're crazy dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
'Cause our Irish coach wanted an Irish QB...

in related news Andre Johnson and Arian Foster have filed papers to change their names to O'Johnson and FitzFoster
lol

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #136
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Of course he signed to be the starter at the beginning of the season - that`s why he got that kinda money. We probably will draft a QB, but our plan is probably to let him sit and learn at the beginning.

I am alright with this signing - the money is on the high side, but it looks like we weren`t gonna spend big in FA anyways. I do believe we "want" to have another sucky year with another high draft pick, and then spending big in FA the year after that. It is not what I would`ve done, but I can`t really argue with it either.
I like the signing. I don't think it is a bad idea to let Fitz start. History has shown that giving the rookie his time is more beneficial in the long run. We've seen Chandler/McNair, Favre/Rodgers, Flutie/Brees.
Besides, Fitzpatrick's resume has shown that he eventually starts anyhow and is not content with sitting the bench. This means even if he doesn't start, he's going to push the hell out of the starter.

On top of that, it really allows the Texans an opportunity to do a lot with that first pick. Say you go with Clowney, now you can get a 2nd round QB and not feel you have to start him right away. Or you can still get that #1 QB and still not feel you have to start him right away.

Our team didn't get worse with this signing. They got better. Despite how marginally better it may be.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #137
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I get the sense that Rick Smith could have found a way to sign away Andrew Luck for $1.45 and a toasted bagel and there would be people here upset about it. I'd rather have Fitz at what we signed him for than Keenum. He's at least won a game at Reliant in his career. He's a pocket passer that can learn the offense and work with rookie signal caller. You really want Keenum showing someone how to handle a pass rush?
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #138
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Here are some of what fans who have seen him play are saying:

Yea, great signing. He is far and away better than what we already have. /sarcasm

Ok, you're crazy dude.

lol
Get over it already.. The shtick is getting old.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #139
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I get the sense that Rick Smith could have found a way to sign away Andrew Luck for $1.45 and a toasted bagel and there would be people here upset about it. I'd rather have Fitz at what we signed him for than Keenum. He's at least won a game at Reliant in his career. He's a pocket passer that can learn the offense and work with rookie signal caller. You really want Keenum showing someone how to handle a pass rush?
Well, how old is the toasted bagel? We might need it.

Someone on 790 yesterday said that the Texans org is like a shell game. Nobody truly knows who makes what decisions. But I will make it simple for everyone. Gary Kubiak wasn't lying. Its on him.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think this team has and had talent on it. Were those Gary, or Rick decisions? Who knows. But I do know that the coach is responsible for the on field product, and it was flaming garbage last season.

I don't understand why people criticize Rick so much when they have no idea what he is responsible for. Cap mismanagement? We have so many stars on this team that its impossible to keep them all and stay under the cap. Some might say we were "all in" to win a superbowl the past couple of years. And you are going to fault Rick for trying to use all available resources? Some people just cant be pleased.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #140
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I am not taking for granted, until OB has a chance to personally work with all the QBs in the preseason, that Fitzpatrick is going to end up being our starting QB at any time. We'll see.
That makes it worse.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read