Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2014   #101
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yessir. It was in fact his first game as a pro... Certainly it was his best EVER!!

That said, it stung a lot, but didn't he beat the Texans as a Buffalo Bill also?

I dunno man, I'm shootin' from the hip.
Won with Rams 2005 - 117 qb rating.
Lost with Bengals 2008 - 48 rating
Lost with Buffalo 2009 - 41 rating
Lost with Buffalo 2012 - 83 rating
Won with Tacks 2013 - 65 rating.

Overall v. Texans: 2-3 with a 73 rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan_joe View Post
I think as an organization the Texas pretty much know next season is a transition year and they'll take a QB next season, be it Winston, Mariota, Hundley or whoever.
So the Texans are writing off two seasons right now? I wouldn't bet on it.
Old 03-20-2014   #102
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm fine with this signing, I would have been OK if O'Brien wanted to retain Schaub as his staring QB for 2014 because it's the new HC for the Texans and he deserves the benefit of the doubt during his rookie year, a honeymoon with the fans (atleast this one) if you will for awhile. Gotta sit back and see where his decisions take us, McNair is doing just that and he's got a lot more riding on O'Brien than any of us do.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #103
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 130870 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The 2005 Texans were 2-14 (we've come a long way). The defense was a bottom feeder in most categories. It was eight and a half years ago, a long NFL career, statistically speaking. I'm so impressed.

The good news is I don't know exactly what the Texans have in mind so I wait.
Old 03-20-2014   #104
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 226555 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Harvard guy stuck around the NFL for this long. Impressive.
Old 03-20-2014   #105
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 78643 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Call me crazy, but I can get behind Fitz more than I can Schaub.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #106
Vance87
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77198 Vance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respectedVance87 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Call me crazy, but I can get behind Fitz more than I can Schaub.
That's because he hasn't done anything awful to the team yet.
Old 03-20-2014   #107
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
O'Brian plans to start him. Draft & develop somebody but not from 1st rd. If I remember correctly he can throw a decent deep ball. I don't know, its been a strange, strange year
My problem is that they just gave him 4 million of our future capspace. I don't mind the player, but what does Fitzpatrick give you that a minimum salary Case Keenum doesn't? Experience? Is that it? You could sign a number of older vets for minimum deals and save ~3.5 million. I don't even like Keenum much, but I don't think Fitz gives us a considerably better chance of winning games over him. Certainly not 4 million dollars worth.
Old 03-20-2014   #108
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306641 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
My problem is that they just gave him 4 million of our future capspace. I don't mind the player, but what does Fitzpatrick give you that a minimum salary Case Keenum doesn't? Experience? Is that it? You could sign a number of older vets for minimum deals and save ~3.5 million. I don't even like Keenum much, but I don't think Fitz gives us a considerably better chance of winning games over him. Certainly not 4 million dollars worth.
That's where I am. We could have signed Brandon Spikes and Brandon Browner for that money and rolled with Keenum.
Old 03-20-2014   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I bet Rick Smith insulted Cassel with a one year 1.5M offer, OB chewed his asz, so when Fitzpatrick came around he blurted out two years 7.5M (which is what he should have offered Cassel)...... then OB chewed his asz out again.
Old 03-20-2014   #110
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I bet Rick Smith insulted Cassel with a one year 1.5M offer, OB chewed his asz, so when Fitzpatrick came around he blurted out two years 7.5M (which is what he should have offered Cassel)...... then OB chewed his asz out again.
I'll bet OB beat Rick Smith with a My Little Pony while chewing his asz out the second time.

But my other crystal ball says pumpkins.
Old 03-20-2014   #111
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My problem is that they just gave him 4 million of our future capspace. I don't mind the player, but what does Fitzpatrick give you that a minimum salary Case Keenum doesn't? Experience? Is that it? You could sign a number of older vets for minimum deals and save ~3.5 million.
I'm not sure who these older vets that are playing for minimum deals are. Names? As to why not just Case, I think Fitz brings in a different dynamic into the meeting room and the practice field. He's seen a lot of things the rookie and Case haven't. That's going to help. And Fitz comes in knowing that he's not going to be the man long term. The rookie will be comfortable coming to him for advice.

And the guaranteed money is $4 million. Not $29 million. $4 million in a $133 million cap is not a huge deal. Especially for a team that has decided not to make a big splash in free agency this year.
Old 03-20-2014   #112
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's where I am. We could have signed Brandon Spikes and Brandon Browner for that money and rolled with Keenum.
I am pretty meh on the whole thing...Fitzpatrick is signed at the going rate for 30 year dudes who you really don't want starting more than a couple of games. but then again I think keenum's upside is Ryan Fitzpatrick and his reality less than that.
Old 03-20-2014   #113
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
I am pretty meh on the whole thing...Fitzpatrick is signed at the going rate for 30 year dudes who you really don't want starting more than a couple of games. but then again I think keenum's upside is Ryan Fitzpatrick and his reality less than that.
Agreed with you and Lucky that it isn't a big deal. Not my preference but it is what it is.
Old 03-20-2014   #114
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Agreed with you and Lucky that it isn't a big deal. Not my preference but it is what it is.
I may be biased, but Ryan Fitzpatrick was never given the opportunity to really shine. He's always played for mediocre teams. Fitzpatrick may not be a gunslinger, but he's someone who can start for an NFL team and still win. I wasn't convinced of that when I saw Case. With Case, I saw a QB who couldn't read the blitz and as a result took unnecessary sacks.

Fitzpatrick can get you a win if you don't need him to throw 40+ passes a game. He's a smart player, can make some plays with his legs and avoid unnecessary sacks. I don't think it's a bad signing. At this point, I'd say he's easily the best QB on our roster, which is not saying much, but I believe he's as good fit for whatever system OB wants to put into place. Fitzpatrick is obviously not a long-term solution, but he's a decent starting QB so we can use the draft to fill other needs on the team.
Old 03-20-2014   #115
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm not sure who these older vets that are playing for minimum deals are. Names? As to why not just Case, I think Fitz brings in a different dynamic into the meeting room and the practice field. He's seen a lot of things the rookie and Case haven't. That's going to help. And Fitz comes in knowing that he's not going to be the man long term. The rookie will be comfortable coming to him for advice.

And the guaranteed money is $4 million. Not $29 million. $4 million in a $133 million cap is not a huge deal. Especially for a team that has decided not to make a big splash in free agency this year.
Here are the cheapest QBs from last year:

Code:
David Garrard	Jets	$1,000,000
Rex Grossman	Redskins	$960,000
Jon Kitna	Cowboys	$940,000
Dan Orlovsky	Buccaneers	$905,000
Seneca Wallace	Packers	$840,000
Luke McCown	Saints	$840,000
Jimmy Clausen	Panthers	$807,500
Matt Flynn	Packers	$715,000
Brady Quinn	Rams	$715,000
Colt McCoy	49ers	$702,500
Rusty Smith	Titans	$630,000
Joe Webb	Vikings	$508,129
Most of those would be fine for our purposes. They have all started NFL games, and they all cost 25% or less than what we are paying Fitz. If you need a QB with experience to coach up the rookie, then hire a QB coach that has played in the NFL. It's really not that hard. Rick is just pissing away money here, and in salary cap football, every dollar counts.
Old 03-20-2014   #116
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
At this point, I'd say he's easily the best QB on our roster, which is not saying much, but I believe he's as good fit for whatever system OB wants to put into place.
He is an OK placeholder. If the prices were equal and fan opinion is disregarded I think it is debatable he is better than Schaub as is - both high end backups who can start a few games if needed. If Schaub regained even first three quarters of 2012 performance it isn't close.
Old 03-21-2014   #117
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is a terrible contract. Why the hell would we give 4m to Fitzpatrick? What does he do that nobody else at vet minimum can do?
'Cause our Irish coach wanted an Irish QB...

in related news Andre Johnson and Arian Foster have filed papers to change their names to O'Johnson and FitzFoster
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #118
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of those would be fine for our purposes. They have all started NFL games, and they all cost 25% or less than what we are paying Fitz.
Other than Grossman and Flynn, none of those guys will be in the league next year. If "our purposes" are to remain the worst team in the league, OK. Otherwise, I think Fitz was the right way to go. I would have preferred spending a little more on Cassell, but it's not that big of a deal.
Old 03-21-2014   #119
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
'Cause our Irish coach wanted an Irish QB...
That's racist!!!

Old 03-21-2014   #120
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here are the cheapest QBs from last year:

Code:
David Garrard	Jets	$1,000,000
Rex Grossman	Redskins	$960,000
Jon Kitna	Cowboys	$940,000
Dan Orlovsky	Buccaneers	$905,000
Seneca Wallace	Packers	$840,000
Luke McCown	Saints	$840,000
Jimmy Clausen	Panthers	$807,500
Matt Flynn	Packers	$715,000
Brady Quinn	Rams	$715,000
Colt McCoy	49ers	$702,500
Rusty Smith	Titans	$630,000
Joe Webb	Vikings	$508,129
Most of those would be fine for our purposes. They have all started NFL games, and they all cost 25% or less than what we are paying Fitz. If you need a QB with experience to coach up the rookie, then hire a QB coach that has played in the NFL. It's really not that hard. Rick is just pissing away money here, and in salary cap football, every dollar counts.
For all those complaining about Fitzpatrick, has it occurred to any of you that maybe OB sees something in him that he feels he can coach up? You don't give out $7 million contracts with $4 million guaranteed to someone that's going to just sit on the bench.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read