Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2014   #61
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 119840 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ryan Fitzpatrick visiting Texans (signs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
never on the leverage of us keeping him
And while I would agree that we weren't going to keep him...it's now concrete.

There isnt the slightest chance to bluff. Theyre betting against someones cards AND THEY SEE THEM. Do you really think schaub follows shanny or goes for the $?

Our only leverage now imo is "gives us a 7 or we cut him."
Old 03-20-2014   #62
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
The proverbial hand has been tipped.
Quote:
With this signing (and the assumption that Schaub is gone one way or another), we could really be targeting a QB at 2-1 or 3-1 that we could groom while Fitz is starting.
The hand had been tipped by anyone watching a Texans game. They needed a young franchise QB. And really, you can't "target" a player at 2-1, much less 3-1. They can target a player with the 1st pick. Maybe they could trade down a few spots. But that's risky if you only like 1 QB.

This signing only surprises me that it was prior to Schaub being traded/cut. I guess Fitz had another offer and the Texans had to get the deal done. No matter, I had doubts that a deal could have been made anyway.

I see a lot of hating on Fitzpatrick, already. Why not give O'brien the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing and at least see the guy in a Texans uni before completely panning the signing?
Old 03-20-2014   #63
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's Ryan Fitzpatrick's first NFL game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8SA0XFPZB4

I've been watching Fitzpatrick since he's been playing at Harvard. He's a smart QB and certainly someone who can quickly learn OB's system. I like the signing.
Old 03-20-2014   #64
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
And really, you can't "target" a player at 2-1, much less 3-1. They can target a player with the 1st pick.
You can target a player at any freaking point in the draft you want. You have targeted players with almost every pick.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #65
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

So the same people who were complaining about us not making any moves are now complaining about the moves we are making?...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #66
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can target a player at any freaking point in the draft you want. You have targeted players with almost every pick.
I don't think a team is going to plan how they will proceed at QB hoping a guy will be available in the 2nd round. We'll see in 7 weeks.
Old 03-20-2014   #67
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33797 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Ryan Fitzpatrick an upgrade over T.J. Yates? If so then I like the move.
Old 03-20-2014   #68
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think a team is going to plan how they will proceed at QB hoping a guy will be available in the 2nd round. We'll see in 7 weeks.
They will if they don't see a guy at 1-1 worth the pick.

They might see a guy they like at 1-1. They may not.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #69
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Does Fitzpatrick bring with him a CURSE?

link

Now, message from Fitzpatrick to the Texans?

I'm not seeing the curse at all.. Bulger played his way out of a job. (See Schaub)

Palmer never recovered from his knee injury "fine" like the article says (he was never mentally the same), couldn't stay healthy, and threatened to retire in order to get out of Cincinnati. He flat out didn't want to play there any more.

Trent Edwards was always a hot steaming pile before Fitzpatrick ever came to town and the only reason why he became the Bills starter was because J.P. Losman was even a bigger hot steaming pile who couldn't stay healthy.

As far as Locker goes.. to suggest Fitzpatrick was a curse there is to also label Hasselbeck a curse as well, because just like Hasselbeck, the reason why Fitzpatrick started was because Jake Locker is made of glass and can never stay healthy.

So Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't a curse.. He's just always played on a team that didn't have a franchise QB who could lock up the position or played with a QB (Palmer) who was disgruntled and no longer wanted to play for the franchise. Ryan Fitzpatrick is what he's always been.. A journeyman back up QB and I don't think Houston is expecting him to be anything more than that.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-20-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #70
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
why would you say that? Think Raiders will just wait until he is cut? That would be a big risk, if Schaub decides to go elsewhere like Cleveland...

you may be right though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

There isnt the slightest chance to bluff. Theyre betting against someones cards AND THEY SEE THEM. Do you really think schaub follows shanny or goes for the $?

IMHO I believe Schaub's agent has already been in touch with every team interested in a starting QB and has gauged the interest and signing dollars if Matt is not traded. And Schaub signs with the team with the most $$$.
Old 03-20-2014   #71
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitzpatrick??? Hmmm....is Bill O'Brien, Josh McDaniels? Hmmm...is the Texans plan to have the #1 draft pick two years in a row? Hmmm...
Old 03-20-2014   #72
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 6383 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post

If I were Matt Schaub, late in my career with an opportunity to go to a team in an offense I know versus an unfamiliar offense on a bad team, I'd likely go with the sure thing. Sometimes looking at the money up front isn't smart. It's not like the biggest contract is guaranteed to pay the most. Think about that.
Old 03-20-2014   #73
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm not seeing the curse at all.. Bulger played his way out of a job. (See Schaub)

Palmer never recovered from his knee injury "fine" like the article says (he was never mentally the same), couldn't stay healthy, and threatened to retire in order to get out of Cincinnati. He flat out didn't want to play there any more.

Trent Edwards was always a hot steaming pile before Fitzpatrick ever came to town and the only reason why he became the Bills starter was because J.P. Losman was even a bigger hot steaming pile who couldn't stay healthy.

As far as Locker goes.. to suggest Fitzpatrick was a curse there is to also label Hasselbeck a curse as well, because just like Hasselbeck, the reason why Fitzpatrick started was because Jake Locker is made of glass and can never stay healthy.

So Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't a curse.. He's just always played on a team that didn't have a franchise QB who could lock up the position or played with a QB (Palmer) who was disgruntled and no longer wanted to play for the franchise. Ryan Fitzpatrick is what he's always been.. A journeyman back QB and I don't think Houston is expecting him to be anything more than that.
Whether you call it a curse or not, it is interesting that those playing ahead of him never enjoyed any long term success.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #74
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this signing. Fitz is better than any QB we have on the roster now, if we assume Schaub is gone.

If Oakland trades for Schaub I would think they'll give us a 2nd or, more likely, a 3rd. If Rick is any kind of a GM he should be able to leverage Cleveland's interest to force a decent offer from Oakland. From everything I've read, Oakland really wants Schaub. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Schaub's agent is working on a revamped 2 year contract with Oakland that would include a fair amount of guaranteed money/bonus.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #75
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, at least he won't kick our ass again.... Rams 33-27 OT win in which, BTW the Texans were up big (24-3 Texans at half)

Addition by subtraction. ;D
Old 03-20-2014   #76
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Not an Earth shattering signing, but as speculated the Texans would sign a veteran qb. I don't think it necessarily makes them a shoe in for QB 1.1. In fact I'd say it opens up options. However, there's no way around it, you need a legit QB to win consistently in the NFL. Fitz isn't anything more than a capable stop gap starter.

If it was up to ME, take the best you figure Bortles and Bridgewater then run with them.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #77
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I like this signing. Fitz is better than any QB we have on the roster now, if we assume Schaub is gone.

If Oakland trades for Schaub I would think they'll give us a 2nd or, more likely, a 3rd. If Rick is any kind of a GM he should be able to leverage Cleveland's interest to force a decent offer from Oakland. From everything I've read, Oakland really wants Schaub. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Schaub's agent is working on a revamped 2 year contract with Oakland that would include a fair amount of guaranteed money/bonus.
If Smith gets a second or third for Schaub he will already be deserving of GM of the year...
Old 03-20-2014   #78
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Appears that OB got to see Fitzpatrick start 6 games against the Patriots in his time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
If Smith gets a second or third for Schaub he will already be deserving of GM of the year...
of the decade!

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-20-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #79
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 385172 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
Fitzpatrick on his role "We'll see how that plays over the offseason Coach O'Brien and I have similar views and beliefs about (offense)."

Fitzpatrick "I want 2 show how hard I work. That's the same approach I've had for 9 years. I like to be dependable. I'm in a good situation."

Fitpatrick "I hoped to finish my contract with Titans. You never want to get kicked to the curb, so to speak, but this is a great opportunity."

Ryan Fitzpatrick "I met with coach O'Brien, and I like what he's going to do with the offense and the direction (Texans) are going."
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26
Quote:
"The way that (Bill O'Brien) thinks about the game, it was a really impressive thing that I felt like I meshed well with."

"Being exposed to so many situations in my career,being able to lean on that is something that will continue to help me in my career"

Texans QB Ryan Fitzpatrick:"It seems like it's going 2 be a pretty special place & (Bill O'Brien) is going to be a special guy to play for"

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-20-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I'm not seeing the curse at all..
It was a joke.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read