Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-19-2014   #121
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL
Quote:
I think the Texans should take Mack, Clowney or Robinson at No. 1 overall. Stay away from the QBs. #AskRiddick
= Louis Riddick
Quote:
As executive:
Washington Redskins (2001–2004) (Pro scout)
Washington Redskins (2005–2007) (Director of pro personnel)
Philadelphia Eagles (2008) (Pro scout)
Philadelphia Eagles (2009) (Assistant director of pro personnel)
Philadelphia Eagles (2010–2013) (Director of pro personnel)
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #122
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 40233 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

mack @1 wouldn't be a reach, IMO.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #123
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
mack @1 wouldn't be a reach, IMO.
Funny how opinions change over time.

I was saying that a couple of months ago and nobody (or very few) agreed. Now it's a pretty common, or even popular, idea.

A few years ago, nobody would touch a LB at #1. With the new rookie wage scale I think you can afford to take the best player period.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #124
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I was saying that a couple of months ago and nobody (or very few) agreed. Now it's a pretty common, or even popular, idea.

A few years ago, nobody would touch a LB at #1. With the new rookie wage scale I think you can afford to take the best player period.
Well, to be fair, you are usually ahead of the pack with prospects, especially smaller school guys. A couple of months ago the only thing I knew about him was his name and his position.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #125
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans even suck at sucking. Every time they have the 1st pick it seems like the 1st pick isn't worth having.

At this point I am more on board with taking Clowney (if there are no trade options).

While I am afraid he might turn out to be a Mario Williams (work ethic wise), he has a lot more potential that MW ever did. Also I think JJ Watt might push him to work hard.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #126
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 298525 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Even if he might have to play @ RT?
Old 03-19-2014   #127
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109412 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Whoever makes the biggest positive impact on the team should be the pick, regardless of what position they play.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #128
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes. Because of the impact he'll have solidifying our line. Because he'll be one injury away from playing LT. And with the new rookie wage cap, it's reasonable.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #129
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Virginia Tech
Quote:
There was a good crowd on hand at pro-day for Virginia Tech, including San Francisco 49er head coach Jim Harbaugh, Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly, and the team's defensive coordinator, Bill Davis.

Word from pro-day was maligned quarterback Logan Thomas looked terrific. Scouts on hand said Thomas has a wealth of talent and proved as much today. While there were a few poor throws, he was accurate for most of the workout and it was an improvement from his combine performance. Thomas seemed to struggle with his accuracy rolling to his right, as passes seemed to get away from him, but for the most part the reviews have been very positive. Unconfirmed reports have Harbaugh going to lunch with Thomas and his quarterback coach George Whitfield after the workout. Regardless of whether the report is true, I'm told Harbaugh showed a lot of interest in Thomas.
Cornerback Kyle Fuller stood on his combine numbers, but stood out in position drills, catching everything thrown to him. I'm told prior to the workout, Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Bill Davis made a point of introducing Fuller to the teams head coach, Chip Kelly.
Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm
Quote:
One longtime offensive coach texted me on Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas' pro day effort today: "Just ok at best"

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-19-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2014   #130
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A. With the new rookie wage scale I think you can afford to take the best player period.
It definitely made the dynamics of taking a non-QB easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
At this point I am more on board with taking Clowney (if there are no trade options).

While I am afraid he might turn out to be a Mario Williams (work ethic wise), he has a lot more potential that MW ever did. Also I think JJ Watt might push him to work hard.
If we did draft him, I'd be hanging my hat on that hope.
Old 03-19-2014   #131
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
If we did draft him, I'd be hanging my hat on that hope.
Me too. The possibility definitely makes Clowney more attractive.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #132
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
...Logan Thomas, David Fales two other draftable QBs with pro days as well as the guy from UCF.
Sleepy QB David Fales' pro day: http://www.sjsuspartans.com/sports/m...031914aaa.html
Old 03-20-2014   #133
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Always crazy seeing how high these guys' draft stock increases once the pass rush is no longer coming.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #134
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 246198 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand that Fales missed only 1 pass.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #135
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Eric Edholm ‏@Eric_Edholm
Quote:
Louis Nix on Mike Tomlin: "I heard he liked big thighs." #NDProDay #steelers

Big crowd at Notre Dame for pro day

March 20: Bethune-Cookman, California (PA), Fresno State, Hawaii, Kent State, Middle Tennessee State, Notre Dame, San Diego State, Stanford, Tennessee State

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Quote:
Y'all feel that shake out in California? RT @NDSportsBlogger: Louis Nix runs the 40 at #NDProDay https://vine.co/v/MhlFbTdlZqh
Rob Rang ‏@RobRang
Quote:
ILB Shayne Skov pulled his hamstring on Monday in prep for Stanford's Pro Day today and won't be working out. Will have his own on April 21.
Bigger crowd at Missouri pro day... ???

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjLuzIJCUAA9yjz.jpg

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-20-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2014   #136
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

TSV: LOWERING THE BARR
Quote:
“But he had ten sacks this year…”

I saw this tweet this week, not just once (and I’m paraphrase-twitter-ing), “Why are people off the Anthony Barr bandwagon?” When I saw a similar tweet on the All-American UCLA OLB more than a couple of times, I did what I always do. I put the film on…
Had Barr declared early in 2012, he probably would’ve gone third over Dion Jordan to Miami in what many thought was a weak draft. But this draft isn’t quite that way. Barr’s athleticism is attractive, but Buffalo’s Khalil Mack has athleticism and nasty and a full complement of “wrecking shop” skills.

South Carolina edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney is freakish and he DID get doubled/chipped most of the season. With three top QBs, a couple of solid prospects at tackle and the aforementioned edge rushing freaks, Barr should fall behind them due to the problems outlined above. If it’s been a little shocking to see Barr’s name take a hit lately, now you know -- if you didn’t already, of course.
UCLA LB Anthony Barr: I'm the perfect NFL draft prospect
Quote:
"I'm not just going to be a guy rushing the quarterback," Barr told Jim Rome on Thursday. "I can drop, I can play the run, and I can play off the ball, on the ball. I'm a smart football player. I can understand the game, the nuances of the game. All those things combine to make me the perfect prospect."

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2014   #137
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Really great piece on how other prospects jump off the tape while watching targeting another player...

12 exciting 2014 NFL draft prospects hidden behind bigger names
Quote:
The star: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
The understudy: Kelcy Quarles, DT
The star: Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
The understudy: Storm Johnson, RB
The star: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
The understudy: Martavis Bryant, WR
The star: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
The understudy: Michael Schofield, OT
The star: Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
The understudy: Jordan Zumwalt, OLB, UCLA
The stars: Louis Nix III, DT; Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
The understudy: Prince Shembo, OLB
The star: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
The understudy: Eathyn Manumaleuana, DT
The star: Timmy Jernigan, DT; Lamarcus Joyner, CB; Telvin Smith, LB/S
The understudy: Christian Jones, ILB
The star: Antonio Richardson, OT, Tennessee
The understudy: Ja’Wuan James, OT
The star: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
The understudy: Antone Exum, CB
The stars: Tre Mason, RB, Auburn; Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
The understudy: Jay Prosch, FB; J.C. Copeland, FB
Old 03-20-2014   #138
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Quote:
Two team scouts had Kony Ealy at 4.56-4.61 on his 2nd 40 attempt. That's moving. #MizzouMade @EalyKony
No idea what the official will be, that's ridiculous.

Quote:
Ealy ran in the mid-4.6s on Thursday, a vast improvement over the 4.92 time from the combine. One report had Ealy timed at 4.57 seconds, which would be a personal record.
Old 03-20-2014   #139
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

No idea what the official will be, that's ridiculous.
Can he play OLB ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #140
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Can he play OLB ?
No.

He's too fast.

Have to play him at safety.

This was all a joke.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read