Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 03-18-2014   #61
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reliant Stadium to be renamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Dude, Cardis is the name I was trying to remember! That place was ground zero for hard rock and metal bands back in the day. I've puked in that bathroom too many times to remember. Back before I know what limitations were, y'know?!

Very cool that you saw Diamond Darrell before Cowboys From Hell. I saw Pantera every time after that album, but by then they were playing bigger venues.
Right on brother!! BTW, I don't mean to denigrate Pantera by the "Glam" period they went through at Cardis, Thunders or BackStage...

BTW, Question?
WERE YOU OR WERE YOU NOT THAT NASTY MOFO THAT LEFT PUKE EVERYWHERE? CBGB's was jealous!!!
Old 03-19-2014   #62
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
But they are still taxes and could (and should) be used for general revenue, not a Billionaire's playpen.
Instead of fighting your way out of a wet paper bag it seems you are drowning in it
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #63
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Instead of fighting your way out of a wet paper bag it seems you are drowning in it
Nope. I just don't buy the argument that diversion of taxes payed by Hotel guests makes it not a tax subsidy for Billionaires. If you wish to think otherwise, then I'm not going to change your mind, but I would consider offering you beachfront property in Arizona because of Global Warming caused rises in sea levels.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #64
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Nope. I just don't buy the argument that diversion of taxes payed by Hotel guests makes it not a tax subsidy for Billionaires. If you wish to think otherwise, then I'm not going to change your mind, but I would consider offering you beachfront property in Arizona because of Global Warming caused rises in sea levels.

While taxes are being used for the stadium the tax you brought up is not paid in large part by local tax payers and that is the reason they choose to impose it the way that they do. Naming it Houston Tax Payers would be rather silly as they arent paying the tax and you would also miss out on added revenue to be collected by corp sponsorships. Also the billionaire you speak of doesnt own the stadium so you are off on multiple fronts.

Please tell me about this ocen front property you know of. I hope it is just as informative as your take on population flows in California, credit card companies practices or any of the other topics that you are missinformed on
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #65
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53394 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, Cardis is the name I was trying to remember! That place was ground zero for hard rock and metal bands back in the day. I've puked in that bathroom too many times to remember. Back before I know what limitations were, y'know?!

Very cool that you saw Diamond Darrell before Cowboys From Hell. I saw Pantera every time after that album, but by then they were playing bigger venues.
C'mon .... its Dimebag, not Diamond.

Cardis was awesome, so was the Abyss (Pantera played there once at least). Not even sure what rock clubs are out in H-town now. Is Backstage still there?
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375231 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Right on brother!! BTW, I don't mean to denigrate Pantera by the "Glam" period they went through at Cardis, Thunders or BackStage...
Man, no denigration at all. Pantera's history is what it is, and during the mid '80's when Pantera formed, they were just doing what most metalheads were doing.

And then Dimebag met James Hetfield, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Scourge made me copies of the early Pantera albums (pre-Cowboys), and Dime was always an amazing player. Hopefully Vinnie Paul releases a Pantera boxset one day with everything from their career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
BTW, Question?
WERE YOU OR WERE YOU NOT THAT NASTY MOFO THAT LEFT PUKE EVERYWHERE? CBGB's was jealous!!!
ummm....ummmmm....I plead the 5th! and make it a 5th of Jack Daniels! hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
C'mon .... its Dimebag, not Diamond.
You don't know your Pantera history. Liner notes of the original release of Cowboys From Hell lists him as Diamond Darrell.

Quote:
In 1994, Abbott dropped the nickname "Diamond Darrell" (after original Van Halen lead vocalist "Diamond" David Lee Roth,) and assumed the nickname "Dimebag Darrell."

Source

Dimebag – Stage Name Origins

Do we really have to explain this one? The legendary Pantera guitarist “Dimebag” Darrell Abbott first adopted the name of “Diamond” Darrell Abbott during the early stages of the band.

However, as Pantera began to emerge into a more aggressive realm of groove metal with 1990′s ‘Cowboys From Hell’ and the 1992 album ‘Vulgar Display of Power,’ “Diamond” just didn’t seem to fit the band’s developing sound. With that in addition to the guitarists affinity for the ‘Sweet Leaf,’ Darrell Abbott changed his nickname to “Dimebag” in 1994.

Source
I still have the issue of Guitar World when he asked everyone to start calling him Dimebag.
Old 03-19-2014   #67
kingtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53394 kingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedkingtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't know your Pantera history. Liner notes of the original release of Cowboys From Hell lists him as Diamond Darrell.

I still have the issue of Guitar World when he asked everyone to start calling him Dimebag.
I stand corrected sir ...
kingtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #68
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 375231 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtexan View Post
I stand corrected sir ...
It's all good, man. He'll always be Dimebag to me, too.
Old 03-19-2014   #69
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 162338 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe False Start isn't in on this conversation. Dude loves him some Dimebag.
Old 03-19-2014   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I would have preferred "Treasures Stadium."
And just like that we're back to repurposing the Astrodome!
Old 03-19-2014   #71
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 348793 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dave Zangaro ‏@DZangaro
Quote:
From NRG, here's an artist's rendering of what the stadium will look like once signage is changed. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjHrP7JCEAI1VGj.jpg
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #72
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 162338 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow. Damn thing's unrecognizable.
Old 03-20-2014   #73
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117888 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

All of this old bar/club nostalgia makes me pine for the Engine Room. Great metal bar that used to be on Pease.

Drove by it the other day and saw it abandoned. Got turned into a jazz club for a while.

The metal scene scuttlebutt a few years ago involved altercations with Lamb of God and the Dillinger Escape Plan with management. In reality, I'm sure it was their constant violation of the fire code and overselling that got them shut down.

Driving by the shell of the Meridian on 59 is always depressing.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read