Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 03-17-2014   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL W/Trade Down 2014 Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Seems like throwing away a 4th round pick. They are going to do something to address QB OR ride with what they have and pick up a future QB next offseason. Then you double up and do it again in the 7th. There are several folks who seem to want to churn QB picks every year and I think that is a waste. "Developmental" QBs don't develop if you turn the over constantly. Both Yates and Keenum are under contract cheap and better able to fulfill in if need be.

Other than that I like the selections a lot.
Texans have thrown away the 1st overall & two high second round picks, plus millions upon millions of dollars & you complain about throwing away a 4th & 7th rd. pick, really?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #22
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I like it a lot. However, I am concerned about both Oakland & Atlanta picking ahead of us. While Oakland is high on Watson at LT, there is a possibility they could take the more NFL ready Matthews to play LT instead of Bortles. Especially if they get Sanchez or Schaub in free agency.

Atlanta is the real wild card in that they want an OLB & mack would fill that need if they don't choose to trade up for Clowney. Who would be your second choice if Mack is gone? Please don't say Manziel. I cringe at the thought of us taking him.

Do you really think Cyrus will slide into the second round? Everything I've read has him going in the first, but there's always a surprise player or two that drops. So it's possible.

I love Bullough in the late 5th & did consider him in my mock, but felt Skov was too good to pass up.

I also agree with Infantrycak in regards to taking two developmental QBs. Maybe, one of the better CB's or FS's in the fourth would be a better choice.

Other than those concerns, I really like it. I'm also really starting to believe that we will trade out of the first pick this year. May can't get here soon enough.
Only reason Cyrus falls is because of medical which can be addressed & played to his strengths which would be right side or kick in as OG where sudden kick slide isn't as much every drop step snap. No way he can play LT given the circumstances but he is a plug & play RT & upgrade over what is currently on the Texan roster.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-17-2014   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans have thrown away the 1st overall & two high second round picks, plus millions upon millions of dollars & you complain about throwing away a 4th & 7th rd. pick, really?
I don't think the 2 2nds were wasted on Schaub and your boys will sit on the bench behind whoever they bring in to be the future starter so yes really I think they are wasted picks.
Old 03-17-2014   #24
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is under old value chart format, pretty sure that is no longer applicable. Thought about addressing this issue with an expert in field just don't have the time. Like I've stated, it's not going to cost a team like in the past to trade up unless there is a bidding war. Let's take Tampa out (according to TS) and Texans have two teams Jacksonville/Atlanta, both want Clowney I suppose you could duplicate the old value chart in regards to = value.
It is an old value chart, but one which reflects actual trades well if not future performance of draftees. That is why I would talk at a deficit of nearly 400 points, but not at 800.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #25
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I don't think the 2 2nds were wasted on Schaub and your boys will sit on the bench behind whoever they bring in to be the future starter so yes really I think they are wasted picks.
not so much the picks as much as the money. these are cheap late round rookie contracts. if O'Brian hits just on one that return drastically accelerate. I don't feel these developmental prospects are like penny stocks either, more like aggressive growth mid & small company, bringing right product that fits a need millions of people desire

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-17-2014   #26
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
not so much the picks as much as the money. these are cheap late round rookie contracts. if O'Brian hits just on one that return drastically accelerate. I don't feel these developmental prospects are like penny stocks either, more like aggressive growth mid & small company, bringing right product that fits a need millions of people desire
I understand the investment potential. I just think it would be better spent on ILB, S, C, WR, TE, RB who for some off field reason (including not having "ideal dimensions") has fallen below their on field performance. Happens every year and those guys if they pull their crap together because of the lesson of falling often step right back onto the field performing like the high round picks they could have been. So it isn't being risk averse, it is putting the risk where it will pay the most benefit if it works. For a QB to pay off in a similar fashion your main QB has to flop/get injured.
Old 03-17-2014   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I understand the investment potential. I just think it would be better spent on ILB, S, C, WR, TE, RB who for some off field reason (including not having "ideal dimensions") has fallen below their on field performance. Happens every year and those guys if they pull their crap together because of the lesson of falling often step right back onto the field performing like the high round picks they could have been. So it isn't being risk averse, it is putting the risk where it will pay the most benefit if it works. For a QB to pay off in a similar fashion your main QB has to flop/get injured.
can't address every need in one draft, sir. I did address ILB, OLB, OT/G, WR/RB/RET, DE, NT & doubled up on QB because I feel both will develop.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-18-2014   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I don't mean to be negative about the draft, I like the draft. I've just been studying Tampa for the texanstalk mock draft and trading down is something I thought about more than trading up. I also don't believe the whole "we may draft a QB" talk coming out of Tampa. Atleast not early on.
your early results are in from TTmock

for a pair of 2nds one this year & one next year still seems like a great deal Tampa, maybe not so much for Houston as JCTexan took Mack off the board. NCTexas took Barr with 8th pick so he could be an option but highest rated player #7 is Jake Matthews. Doubt many but Bruce fans would like trading down, bypassing Clowney or a QB then taking Jake but my mock is more grade driven. Will be interesting to see where Mosley gets picked up but doubt seriously if he is even a top 15 pick, IMO.

06(06) Atlanta Falcons (JCTexan) Kalil Mack - LB - Buffalo
07(07) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (TexansSeminole) C.J. Mosley - LB - Alabama
08(08) Minnesota Vikings (NCTexan) Anthony Barr - LB - UCLA
09(09) Buffalo Bills (Blake) Jake Matthews - OT - Texas A&M

But thanks for your input TS

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-18-2014   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

for a pair of 2nds one this year & one next year still seems like a great deal Tampa, maybe not so much for Houston as JCTexan took Mack off the board. NCTexas took Barr with 8th pick so he could be an option but highest rated player #7 is Jake Matthews. Doubt many but Bruce fans would like trading down, bypassing Clowney or a QB then taking Jake but my mock is more grade driven. Will be interesting to see where Mosley gets picked up but doubt seriously if he is even a top 15 pick, IMO.

In the TT Mock I got my top rated CB for the Lions. But I kinda wish I would've made a slight reach for Shazier. That guy is a playmaker and CB is much deeper than OLB in this draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
In the TT Mock I got my top rated CB for the Lions. But I kinda wish I would've made a slight reach for Shazier. That guy is a playmaker and CB is much deeper than OLB in this draft.
Dequeze Dennard is a good fit for the Lions, nice pick.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-18-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The only way I can see they do that, is if OB absolutely does not like Yates & Keenum.

I don't have an issue either way, you drafted the way you did for your reasons & I can see OB not liking Keenum... but Yates seems like a Bill O'Brien guy to me. More so than Keith Price.
Old 03-18-2014   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 149849 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Tampa Bay makes the call ...
I am pretty much open to any trade that gets us out of 1-1 and increases our picks. As always appreciate your thought & efforts! Mack is a very good LB but I just think OLB not this high a priority in 2014. Would not groan however. I love Tuitt & mock him at 26 with a trade down happening with Browns; could be there at #33 but as I was correct long time ago saying Ninja was gone, he'd be perfect fit & can also play NT. Kouandijo and Daquan off my board, health of the first and poor play every time I watched Jones.

I have mocked Savage & like his skills/size but think he will be 7th/UDFA. As you & I have previously discussed, I am on board with Bullough.
Old 03-18-2014   #33
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My point still stands that trading their 1st and two 2nds isn't worth moving up for a player that plays at their deepest or second deepest position. That trade gives Tampa Clowney, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder, 7th rounder. It leaves them with 4 draft picks, only two higher than a 5th rounder, and takes their 2nd next year. If I'm Tampa, no thanks.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 03-18-2014 at 02:08 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
It is an old value chart, but one which reflects actual trades well if not future performance of draftees. That is why I would talk at a deficit of nearly 400 points, but not at 800.
OK, I got a response back from Matt McGuire, involved Walter Football, which was one of the few free draft sites when I started. He told me he actually talked with a scout from the Ravens who told him that "teams make up their own TVC's every year in the offseason". He went on further saying "the TVC that the media uses to gauge trades now is outdated, but what the media thinks doesn't matter anyways. Only die-hards care about stuff like that".

So I guess we have a few die-hards around here. Hate how secretive they've become but oh well.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 03-19-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2014   #35
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
My point still stands that trading their 1st and two 2nds isn't worth moving up for a player that plays at their deepest or second deepest position. That trade gives Tampa Clowney, 3rd rounder, 5th rounder, 7th rounder. It leaves them with 4 draft picks, only two higher than a 5th rounder, and takes their 2nd next year. If I'm Tampa, no thanks.
well I respect your opinion. I don't think you can have too much of a good thing, & this would be a great situation for Jadeveon, surrounded by some talent, fast track, time to develop without all they hype & pressure to be the savior. But consider this, how about trading up for a QB? Changes my picks, true, doesn't change who I had Texans targeting Mack, & if Clowney slides so will Khalil, just saying.

received another email, very surprising from Matt McQuire, you may know of him, done some draft work on free website, Walter Football. I'm not making this up but thought you & others might enjoy this & I quote:

Quote:
And I also agree that top draft picks being limited on their earning power now gives a more balanced TVC. Watch out for a lot of trades this year high in the Draft. I think Tampa is going to move up for Bridgewater/Bortles/Manziel after declaring Josh McCown as the franchise savior (yeah right).

The QB market in the Draft seems to be cooling down but that's always B.S. Any time there are several highly rated QBs teams always spend high picks on them...then again, there are reasons why teams like the Texans are the Texans and teams like the Raiders are the Raiders.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 03-19-2014   #36
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Trading up for a QB would make a little bit more sense, assuming Lovie isn't bluffing about wanting to draft one high. Glennon had a good rookie year (19TDs 9INTs). I still can't figure out why they would give up on that.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #37
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90121 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Trading up for a QB would make a little bit more sense, assuming Lovie isn't bluffing about wanting to draft one high. Glennon had a good rookie year (19TDs 9INTs). I still can't figure out why they would give up on that.
Seemingly every coach wants their own guy in place. That way, if the ship goes down, at least it's going down with their guy at the helm.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read