Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if the Texans drafted your QB?
Yes... let them compete in camp 33 49.25%
No... under no circumstances do I want to see Matt Schaub in a Texans uniform 34 50.75%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2014   #61
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
It depends on what you're looking for. McNair stated he wanted a veteran QB on the roster, for whatever his reasoning. Most of us knew before FA started that Schaub would most likely be the best available & so far it has played out that way.

So what's next?

We can cut Schaub sign Vick (or whoever is left)... the $4M you saved for 2014 is gone. You're probably going to get the same net result from the QB position.

I've not once overlooked it & it's always been part of may argument.

Cut him now:
2014: $4M ($3,937,500)
2015: $17M ($13.5M)
2016: $19M ($15.5M)

June 1st:
2014: $10M ($10,937,500)
2015: $10M ($6.5M)
2016: $19M ($15.5M)

Cut 2015:
2014: ($0)
2015: ($6.5M)
2916: ($15.5M)

June 1, 2015:
2014: $0 (or whatever you negotiate through pay cut)
2015: $14M ($10M)
2016: $16M ($12M)

What I think people don't take into account is that the cap goes up in 2015 & 2016... & that the cap went up unexpectedly for 2014 (which might change everything).

Everybody would have been "ecstatic" if we had $27M in cap room this offseason.... well next year we've got that without cutting anyone (of course we still have to fill out 2014's roster to say for sure). & we're already $77M under the 2016 cap. That includes a $17M cap hit for Schaub in 2015 & $19M in 2016.
Corrections in BOLD.
This is just cap savings for Schaub and cap increases have no effect on how Schaub's contract affects the cap.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #62
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

What would you gain by signing Mark Sanchez over Matt Schaub?

I would take Schaub in a heartbeat
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Corrections in BOLD.
Then they've got it wrong at over the cap. If we cut him now, eat all the dead money in 2014..... $17M comes off our projected cap for 2015. $19M comes off for 2016. His salary + the prorated bonus is already calculated in our future cap.

Quote:
This is just cap savings for Schaub and cap increases have no effect on how Schaub's contract affects the cap.
Increases in the salary cap increases how much money we have available to build our team, which is the whole object of cutting Schaub.
Old 03-19-2014   #64
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 253700 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by handswarmer View Post
What would you gain by signing Mark Sanchez over Matt Schaub?

I would take Schaub in a heartbeat
How you doing handswarmer?

I've got to ask, because I'm far to lazy to actually find out for myself, what is the scuttlebutt about Kubiak's signing now that it's been a while? What do yall think he will do for you? Was this a good thing for yall? thanks.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #65
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 60634 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then they've got it wrong at over the cap. If we cut him now, eat all the dead money in 2014..... $17M comes off our projected cap for 2015. $19M comes off for 2016. His salary + the prorated bonus is already calculated in our future cap.

Increases in the salary cap increases how much money we have available to build our team, which is the whole object of cutting Schaub.
You're misunderstanding that column. It presumes the contract is in place through that year. Therefore, 2015 presumes $13.5M in salary and roster bonus plus $3.5M prorated signing bonus for a total of $17M and 2016 presumes 15.5M in salary and roster bonus plus $3.5 M in prorated signing bonus for a total of $19M. Earlier Cuts reduce the amount in that column by the accelerated accounting for the signing bonus depending on the type of cut.

Now increases to the Cap Limit do not affect the amount of cap savings by Schaub's contract, it does affect the management of the cap space by reducing the need to get under the cap.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #66
handswarmer
All Pro

Rep Power: 16431 handswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respectedhandswarmer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
How you doing handswarmer?

I've got to ask, because I'm far to lazy to actually find out for myself, what is the scuttlebutt about Kubiak's signing now that it's been a while? What do yall think he will do for you? Was this a good thing for yall? thanks.
I have been well, thank you for asking. Lots of snow up here this year so I was pretty busy plowing= made some serious coinage...LOL

Kubiak has kept a real low profile; hasn't been seen in the media since his introductory press conference. But I think he is pretty excited to work with Torrey Smith, Steve Smith from the Panthers, Dennis Pitta, Ray Rice and Joe Flacco. it will be interesting to see what sort of offense develops.

I posted a thread about Owen Daniels and it got moved because he is no longer a Texan...no biggie.

I am looking forward to our season.

But I do believe that Schaub is better than Sanchez...any day of the week.
handswarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
You're misunderstanding that column. It presumes the contract is in place through that year. Therefore, 2015 presumes $13.5M in salary and roster bonus plus $3.5M prorated signing bonus for a total of $17M and 2016 presumes 15.5M in salary and roster bonus plus $3.5 M in prorated signing bonus for a total of $19M. Earlier Cuts reduce the amount in that column by the accelerated accounting for the signing bonus depending on the type of cut.
I'm not misunderstanding it, that's how I see it. According to overthecap we currently have $27M available of the 2015 cap. If we cut Schaub & account for all the dead money in 2014, that number goes up by $17M, we won't have to pay his salary, any roster bonus, or the signing bonus allocation.

Cutting Schaub & eating all the dead money in 2014 frees up $17M of our 2015 cap & $19M of our 2016 cap.

Quote:
Now increases to the Cap Limit do not affect the amount of cap savings by Schaub's contract, it does affect the management of the cap space by reducing the need to get under the cap.
That's what I said.

People think we're cap strapped & have to clear all of Matt's future allocations, that's not true. If we thought we would need $50M to do whatever we thought we needed to do in 2015, & cutting Matt Schaub to clear that $17M off our books was going to get us there, we can now do the same thing by making him a June 1st cut saving $7M with the extra $10M we got from the Thursday night TV deal.

$17M is $17M doesn't really matter where it came from.

Would it be better to have $60M... sure. But if you thought we were in good shape with $50M, how can we be worse off with the same $50M + the best QB available in FA?

I understand people want to get away from Matt Schaub, but to go from Schaub to Sanchez, or Vick, or Matt McGloin isn't about "cap management" it's about hate.

We wanted to cut Matt Schaub this year to save $4M ($3.9m). The NFL just gave us $10M so that's not necessary anymore.

In this thread, I suggest you also get the QB you want in the draft & still "it makes more sense" to cut Schaub? I don't think so.

You've got your cap space, you've got you QB of the future, you can't name a better replacement for Schaub & you still want him gone?? (I don't mean you specifically)... something other than "what's best for the team" is guiding your decision making. Some folks are being honest about it & that's cool. Some guys are hiding behind whatever.... so whatever.
Old 03-19-2014   #68
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not misunderstanding it, that's how I see it.
You are doing it correctly. Marshall has found a new way to confuse the issue. The projected cap hit in 2016, etc. should not be offset by dead money paid now. It is all removed from the cap that year v. as it stands now if he was retained through that year.
Old 03-19-2014   #69
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh! I'm not sure about Bill O'Brien's style of offense is.

So, there can be a lot said for keeping Schaub for a year while the Texans 1st or 2nd round QB pick sits and learns.

On another note, I so dread this season. This team won't go 2-14, but it already has enough talent and leaders to go 8-8.

Apparently the Texans are good with 8-8

Old 03-19-2014   #70
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Meh! I'm not sure about Bill O'Brien's style of offense is.

So, there can be a lot said for keeping Schaub for a year while the Texans 1st or 2nd round QB pick sits and learns.

On another note, I so dread this season. This team won't go 2-14, but it already has enough talent and leaders to go 8-8.

Apparently the Texans are good with 8-8

The more I consider things, the more I'm coming around to this line of thought. CnD's opinion on the degenerative affect of the lis franc injury keeps me in check, though. It has proven spot on.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #71
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

this will be a pretty Meh season so IDK

the best we can hope for is to over achive and punch our ticket for a PS spot rather that be DIV or WC spot

in reality im thinking rather 8-8 or 6-10

so IDK if we keep schaub has long has we draft his replacement
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #72
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
The more I consider things, the more I'm coming around to this line of thought. CnD's opinion on the degenerative affect of the lis franc injury keeps me in check, though. It has proven spot on.
It's the off season, people forget, some deny.

But C-N-D's diagnosis was spot on and I haven't seen him change his stance on Schaub's prognosis. Until I see this it's time for Schaub to move on. Even if it's for pennies on the dollar.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #73
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Why do a lot of people seem to have like such a personal grudge mentality towards Matt Schaub ? OK, he had a terrible year and had a lot to do with us going 2-14, but some of you act as if it was all because of intentional acts by Schaub as if he actually wanted to sabotage our whole season ?
I doubt that he's around this Fall, but if the new HC surprises us, maybe even shocks us with a plan that includes Schaub this Fall, I'm with the coach.

Schaub was certainly part of the reason we won 2 games and responsible for some losses too. Case on the other hand just losses
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #74
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

No. Schaub is in Carcosa now. Nothing can be done for him, he's a broken man.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #75
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
No. Schaub is in Carcosa now. Nothing can be done for him, he's a broken man.
the Hotel in Mayalsia?

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #76
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1945 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all about letting the coach do whatever he thinks will work. Schaub, CK, trade for a vet, rookie draft pick....we hired the man so lets let him do his thing see what happens.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #77
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Good comparison on Delhomme. I just don't believe we'll see circa 2009 Matt Schaub again.

Only way I'd consider keeping Matt on this roster is a severe pay cut and understanding he'll be able to compete for the starting spot, but things will be unlikely to turn out him starting based on last year's disastrous season
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #78
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Sadly there are people out there that would love this to happen......

Are you kidding? It would be the most amazing meta trolling of the fanbase of all time. Hell it'll break most of the football fans into discernable "factions" in Houston and they may even prowl the streets at night looking for trouble Jets and Sharks style, with musical numbers and everything. Manziel's gang could be signing autographs on Westheimer whilst the VYFC could be selling sausage on the streets while the Keenum crowd hangs out over on Cullen Blvd furiously poring over stat sheets and comparisons to once great QB's of yore with their cries of "He's the one!".

The QB battle to end all training camp QB battles.

Last edited by b0ng; 03-21-2014 at 11:06 AM.
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read