Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if the Texans drafted your QB?
Yes... let them compete in camp 33 49.25%
No... under no circumstances do I want to see Matt Schaub in a Texans uniform 34 50.75%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2014   #41
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
LOL - and keep Keenum as the other backup. It will be fan on fan violence of epic proportions.

Sadly there are people out there that would love this to happen......

Old 03-18-2014   #42
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
The MBs and talk radio would be insufferable.
Quite a change from how it's been, lol.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I have this mental picture of Chris Farley and George Wendt in Texans gear saying "Fans of Texans nation and all Texas universities must band together, to ensure that such a conflagration never takes place"

I want it to happen. I'm convinced it must happen. think about it. The Houston Texans are in the unique position to make sure that THE epic battle of Texas University man-crush QB's takes place. They can pick all three of them up (already got one actually) and let chaos break loose!

LMAO!!! As an imaginary scenario, I love it!

However, as reality, I think I'd start paintballing every Sunday during football season.
Old 03-18-2014   #44
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 181446 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted no simply because he is not in the Texans future no matter how you slice it. Let him go and wish him the best. I would bet that I would really like Schaub if I had the chance to have dinner with him or whatever, no grudge here. I want to do what is best for the team and keeping him around is a waste of both the Texans time and Schaub's time.

The Lidge analogy is a pretty good one.
Old 03-18-2014   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I voted yes.

Something wasn't right last season, wasn't just Matt. Other QBs got off to a really bad start last season (didn't set any records or anything), Matt wasn't given an opportunity to work it out... to save face.

I'm not a Schaub fan. I'm not a Schaub hater, Like TexansBill says, it's the name on the front of the Jersey I root for.

I want to win, I want the Texans to win & I believe our best shot is a QB who has won games in the past, or a rookie who can beat that guy out in an honest open QB battle.

Even the most devout Matt Schaub hater has to admit, if he's honest, Matt is the best veteran QB available to us at the moment.

On top of that, I'm very interested to see Matt Schaub with an OC & HC like Bill O'Brien. If he brings that pedal to the metal, no quarter given, New England offensive mindset to Houston, we might be in store for some pretty exciting football.

No, I don't think there's a chance that OB is going to turn Schaub into Tom Brady, I don't think he has to. We've got Duane Brown, & Andre Johnson, & DeAndre Hopkins, & Arian Foster, & Jj Watt, & Brian Cushing. There is no reason for Schaub to have to put this team on his itty-bitty beedy eyed shoulders.

Now this is with the caveat that they draft our QB of the future. For me it's McCarron or Murray... but I won't be upset if they draft Bridgewater with 1-1, or Bortles, or Manziel..... or if they draft Tom Savage in the 5th or Garoppolo in the bottom of the first.

Now if they draft Logan Thomas in the 6th & only Logan Thomas, I'll be upset. But I won't say gripe about it unless he busts... if they draft a better prospect next season I'll forget about the flyer in 2014.

Lastly, if you look at the concepts OB talks about in his clinics you'll see it's very similar to what Schaub was doing under Kubiak. Granted, getting a QB familiar with OB & the system he ran/runs would have been ideal... Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallet, Brian Hoyer..... but it makes no sense to do it on anyone else's terms than ours, when we've got the next best thing (Schaub).

There is absolutely no way I would ever allow Matt Schaub to be on the roster of the team I love with a $14M cap hit... but I wouldn't put it past McNair. This will have no effect on our rebuilding efforts. We're not going to be spending money on any big named FAs...... doesn't make sense. We're going to draft as best we can. Next season there will be more cap room to add choice FAs to another strong draft class & make some noise in the NFL.
Old 03-18-2014   #46
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Re: Would you sign off on keeping Matt Schaub if...

Before I vote, is it financially "better" to keep him or to cut him?
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #47
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
It depends on how you want to spin it.
Old 03-18-2014   #48
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub might not be so bad without Kubiak's heel on his Adam's apple. He could audible out of a play if he saw the opponents were laying for it. Trade him if it's possible, but if not, it might be better to keep him on the roster for salary cap reasons.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #49
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 125380 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind keeping Schaub if his contract and our cap were compatible. He's lost his confidence and what mobility he had, but there's still a lot of knowledge he can impart on a rookie.

Unfortunately, carrying his cap figure means this team is going to be filling holes with cast offs and bargain bin gambles. That's not a season I'm excited to watch.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #50
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

competition is good for everyone!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

No!!! There's an old saying. You can't make the same mistake twice. The second time you make it, it's no longer a mistake, it's a choice.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #52
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I wouldn't mind keeping Schaub if his contract and our cap were compatible. He's lost his confidence and what mobility he had, but there's still a lot of knowledge he can impart on a rookie.

Unfortunately, carrying his cap figure means this team is going to be filling holes with cast offs and bargain bin gambles. That's not a season I'm excited to watch.
This. Let's not forget that he's had two solid seasons and had a major down year. Eli, Luck, RGIII, and many more had down years as well. Perhaps a change in coaching staff may help him (but fan's booing him certainly didn't help).
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Voted Yes, because my QB is developmental in need of mentoring, if Matt could agree to that plus a more cap friendly contract.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #54
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted a third option - Yes, but only if the Texans also sign Mark "Buttfumble" Sanchez.

Geez.
Old 03-19-2014   #55
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

just ask yourself can matt schaub stay healthy for 16+ games and lead the the Texans to the SB ...?????? rather it be this year or in 2015 ..????

if the answer is no and the % is highly it will be NO cus he has not done it yet then whats the point in keeping him ..???

how about dis we get TWO !! QB's in the draft anyone down with that ..????
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #56
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Cutting him saves $3,937,500 against the cap. This is his salary of $10M and his Roster bonus of $937,500 minus his remaining post 2014 signing bonus of $7M.

Designating him as a June 1st cut saves $10,937,500 against the 2014 cap, but costs $7M against the 2015 cap so it essentially just moves $7M in cap space from the 2015 cap back to the 2014 cap.

Financially, you then have to offset that with his replacement.

For more details, see:
http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...QB&Team=Texans
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
If you think that we're not going to be signing any mid-level free agents this offseason, what are you missing out on?

If we have a strong draft this offseason, save our money, cut Schaub next season, add a second strong draft class & your mid-level FAs, we're better off, no?
Old 03-19-2014   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Cutting him saves $3,937,500 against the cap. This is his salary of $10M and his Roster bonus of $937,500 minus his remaining post 2014 signing bonus of $7M.

Designating him as a June 1st cut saves $10,937,500 against the 2014 cap, but costs $7M against the 2015 cap so it essentially just moves $7M in cap space from the 2015 cap back to the 2014 cap.

Financially, you then have to offset that with his replacement.

For more details, see:
http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...QB&Team=Texans
But if he plays this year, we don't get the $3.9M savings against the cap (which we most likely won't be using anyway). Make him a June 1, 2015 cut & save $14M next year & $16M in 2016.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 03-19-2014 at 08:06 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #59
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
But if he plays this year, we don't get the $3.9M savings against the cap (which we most likely won't be using anyway). Make him a June 1, 2015 cut & save $10M next year & $16M in 2016.
If he plays this year under his existing contract, he makes an additional $10,937,500 above his pro rate share of the signing bonus ($3.5M). Then making him a June 1st cut next year splits his remaining $7M signing bonus between 2015 and 2016.

While this is possible, it is not optimal.

First, Schaub is not worth the additional ~$11M for one season if he's not at least borderline elite. I think he could still be, but it's becoming much less likely with every season his production falls.

Second, deferring cap space hits are rarely good for anything other than putting a team near the top over the top for a brief time because it borrows from the future.

One thing which often gets overlooked is the cap space saved by eliminating the salary and Roster bonus payments in 2014, 2015 and 2016. We get hung up on the signing bonus shenanigans because of the June 1st designation.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Second, deferring cap space hits are rarely good for anything other than putting a team near the top over the top for a brief time because it borrows from the future.
It depends on what you're looking for. McNair stated he wanted a veteran QB on the roster, for whatever his reasoning. Most of us knew before FA started that Schaub would most likely be the best available & so far it has played out that way.

So what's next?

We can cut Schaub sign Vick (or whoever is left)... the $4M you saved for 2014 is gone. You're probably going to get the same net result from the QB position.

Quote:
One thing which often gets overlooked is the cap space saved by eliminating the salary and Roster bonus payments in 2014, 2015 and 2016. We get hung up on the signing bonus shenanigans because of the June 1st designation.
I've not once overlooked it & it's always been part of may argument.

Cut him now:
2014: $4M
2015: $17M
2016: $19M

June 1st:
2014: $10M
2015: $10M
2016: $19M

June 1, 2015:
2014: $0 (or whatever you negotiate through pay cut)
2015: $14M
2016: $16M

What I think people don't take into account is that the cap goes up in 2015 & 2016... & that the cap went up unexpectedly for 2014 (which might change everything).

Everybody would have been "ecstatic" if we had $27M in cap room this offseason.... well next year we've got that without cutting anyone (of course we still have to fill out 2014's roster to say for sure). & we're already $77M under the 2016 cap. That includes a $17M cap hit for Schaub in 2015 & $19M in 2016.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read