Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-17-2014   #121
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
There are at least two approaches to GMs when it comes to personnel.

One approach is to make him responsible for evaluation and the securing of talent. This is the style most believe is the norm.

A second is to simply assign him the responsibility to secure the talent others have determined they need. This is a reasonable approach when your skills lean toward the accounting rather than the talent evaluation. This is what I believe we have in Rick.

This makes him an acceptable retention with a new coaching change which will simply give him different players to pursue which fit their evaluations of the best players for their system.
Seeing the cap problems the Texans have, if the GM is an accountant then the IRS should be calling soon.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #122
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
You have to tear down before you can rebuild!
It's past time for another rebuild. Hopefully this one will be done right.
Old 03-17-2014   #123
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Maybe it's a two year plan. I don't know but I am a little surprised so far.
I think this is likely a 2-3 year plan , much of it depending upon what they do with the QB position.

No sense spending big bucks in FA if you don't have a QB who can at the very least protect the ball and limit mistakes.

Right now , I think they locate a QB this season , allow him to settle in and develop while clearing the cap for the 2015 offseason to make some significant moves. What those moves ultimately are will depend upon what they have at QB , a play maker or a caretaker.

Woohoo , post #30K (wasted)

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #124
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think this is likely a 2-3 year plan , much of it depending upon what they do with the QB position.
and also depending on if they mortgage any 2014 Dead Money/Contracts and how much they mortgage. The less the better. Short term gain = Long term Pain!
Old 03-17-2014   #125
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
and also depending on if they mortgage any 2014 Dead Money/Contracts and how much they mortgage. The less the better. Short term gain = Long term Pain!
I'm pretty sure the moves, or lack thereof, have explained the Texans stance. Take the the hit now, get it over with and start next season clean. Pretty good stance to take I think. While we probably won't be contenders next season it sure paves a brighter future. Then again, WTH do I know?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #126
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm pretty sure the moves, or lack thereof, have explained the Texans stance. Take the the hit now, get it over with and start next season clean. Pretty good stance to take I think. While we probably won't be contenders next season it sure paves a brighter future. Then again, WTH do I know?
If you clean the books this yr and have a great draft, but a bad season there are worse scenarios for the future of the Texans.
Old 03-17-2014   #127
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited to see what BOB can do considering the turnaround he made at Penn State with far less resources.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
If you clean the books this yr and have a great draft, but a bad season there are worse scenarios for the future of the Texans.
I'm slow.

Can you tell me what needs to be cleaned off the books? Be specific.
Old 03-17-2014   #129
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
From my point of the view the Texans lack of moves (so far) have been involuntary due to lack of funds. At this point they really have no other option unless they resort to their old bad habits of mortgaging the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm slow.

Can you tell me what needs to be cleaned off the books? Be specific.
Specifically, the Texans need to manage their salary cap where they begin a new season with enough salary space to either resign their better free agents or replace them with equal or better talent, WITHOUT, I repeat, WITHOUT having to resort to restructuring contracts or spreading Dead Money to the future. As long as the Texans begin each year without enough salary cap to pay the 53 man roster they're at a competitive and financial disadvantage.
Old 03-17-2014   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Specifically, the Texans need to manage their salary cap where they begin a new season with enough salary space to either resign their better free agents or replace them with equal or better talent, WITHOUT, I repeat, WITHOUT having to resort to restructuring contracts or spreading Dead Money to the future. As long as the Texans begin each year without enough salary cap to pay the 53 man roster they're at a competitive and financial disadvantage.
So... specifically, which contracts are stopping us from doing that? Which ones do we have to cut this year?
Old 03-17-2014   #131
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So... specifically, which contracts are stopping us from doing that? Which ones do we have to cut this year?
If you cut/traded? Schaub and Foster and apply all dead money to 2014, the Texans would start the 2015 year $50 million + under the salary cap.

Removal of Schaub and Foster would increase salary cap space by $26 million in 2015.
Old 03-17-2014   #132
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The thing is that the Texans have / had several mid level type contracts in OD , Manning , Myers , Cushing along with several top paid types - Schaub , #80 , Ninja , Foster , D.Brown , JJo & Ed Reed.

AJ's contract is a killer because they have restructured it so damn may times pushing money forward. 7 years , 67m with ~20.5m or more guaranteed. He will account for almost $16m in cap space this season , 16m next season and 15m in the final year.

Cap hits for this season:

#80 16m
Schaub - 14m
Brown - 8.5m
Foster - 8.5m
JJo - 11.25m
Cushing - 5.5m
Myers - 7m
Manning - 6m
KJax - 4.335m

That's 81.m+ of cap space without factoring in OD's ~6.25m cap hit.

Now consider how many of their top players didn't contribute sh!t last season and you realize why they are in such bad shape cap wise.

Schaub , Foster , Cushing , Manning & JJo were all on the bench for significant amounts of the season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
If you cut/traded? Schaub and Foster and apply all dead money to 2014, the Texans would start the 2015 year $50 million + under the salary cap.

Removal of Schaub and Foster would increase salary cap space by $26 million in 2015.
Cutting Schaub alone would put us at $45M.... is this a "you don't pay running backs that kind of money" bad contract?
Old 03-17-2014   #134
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

One approach is to make him responsible for evaluation and the securing of talent. This is the style most believe is the norm.

A second is to simply assign him the responsibility to secure the talent others have determined they need. This is a reasonable approach when your skills lean toward the accounting rather than the talent evaluation. This is what I believe we have in Rick.

This makes him an acceptable retention with a new coaching change which will simply give him different players to pursue which fit their evaluations of the best players for their system.
Considering the cap as it is now, what makes you think Rick is a more "accounting" type? If that's the case still why not replace him with someone who has a better history of cap management?

I guess ultimately that's what's been so frustrating with Rick and Gary is at the end of the it's like a shell game figuring out who made the call on draft day or who signed off on a FA. Either way at least no one could deny the wheels came flying off last year.

Again my two hopes at this point remain this: one Rick had limited call at the end of the day on the draft and in FA. That with a new hopefully more capable staff the roster can be reshaped fairly quickly. Two, this next year is so bad McNair finally makes the call to sweep the rest of the FO out.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #135
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Considering the cap as it is now, what makes you think Rick is a more "accounting" type? If that's the case still why not replace him with someone who has a better history of cap management?
With the state of the team being what it is, how much cap space should we have, if he cap was being managed correctly?
Old 03-17-2014   #136
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The thing is that the Texans have / had several mid level type contracts in OD , Manning , Myers , Cushing along with several top paid types - Schaub , #80 , Ninja , Foster , D.Brown , JJo & Ed Reed.

AJ's contract is a killer because they have restructured it so damn may times pushing money forward. 7 years , 67m with ~20.5m or more guaranteed. He will account for almost $16m in cap space this season , 16m next season and 15m in the final year.

Cap hits for this season:

#80 16m
Schaub - 14m
Brown - 8.5m
Foster - 8.5m
JJo - 11.25m
Cushing - 5.5m
Myers - 7m
Manning - 6m
KJax - 4.335m

That's 81.m+ of cap space without factoring in OD's ~6.25m cap hit.

Now consider how many of their top players didn't contribute sh!t last season and you realize why they are in such bad shape cap wise.

Schaub , Foster , Cushing , Manning & JJo were all on the bench for significant amounts of the season.
Who put the team in this position? Who thought these contracts were a good idea?

Rick/Gary/Olson/Wade

Did Gary sign off on the offense contracts/(Schaub,Foster) did Wade sign off on defense? Was this Rick's idea or did Olson have to sign off on everything.

I'm just wondering what your opinion of the orgs financial team is?
Old 03-17-2014   #137
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well from here on out Rick has no more excuses if anything goes wrong its 100% on him
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #138
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm totally with you on this viewpoint; at least as it pertains to Smith's working relationship with Kubiak. Now whether Smith's role evolves from the guy who just fetches the players on the coaching staff's "grocery list" into the guy makes - or at least helps - create the grocery list under Bill O'Brien remains to be seen.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #139
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
is this a "you don't pay running backs that kind of money" bad contract?
Yes but also taking into consideration the Texans are rebuilding the OL implementing a new system which will likely involve most of a season learning curve. It took Alex Gibbs 2 years to fully implement the ZBS and for it to become as successful as it was. In addition I don't have the highest confidence in the Texans new OL Coach, Paul Dunn. Dunn was fired this year by Atlanta because the running game suffered under his tutleage. Dunn's OL gave up 44 Sacks Allowed and ranked in the Top 10 in QB Pressures. It all just makes prudent and responsible sense to me. Cutting/trading Foster after 2014 would only give the Texans $1 million cap relief in 2015 instead of the $9 million gained by doing the same this year.

Last edited by Texian; 03-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #140
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes but also taking into consideration the Texans are rebuilding the OL implementing a new system which will likely involve most of a season learning curve. It took Alex Gibbs 2 years to fully implement the ZBS and for it to become as successful as it was.
You like to only use portions of the facts.

1) the Texans were already a ZBS team when Gibbs got here but were not utilizing the cut block.
2) it didn't take two years for Gibbs to teach it. It took two years for the Texans to find a competent and healthy RB to run behind the OL.
3) you have no idea how extensive any changes may be to the running schemes.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read