Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-17-2014   #2121
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Teddy Bridgewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Where Strong was, "Excellent, just like we worked on in practice. If you're gonna chunk it, put it between our guy & the back of the endzone."
I hope I'm missing the sarcasm meter on this. He wasn't even facing forward until the release of the ball, that it landed where it did shows his obvious talent / feel, but is also a near miracle.

If you think they practiced running sidways and slinging it sidearm to the corner of the endzone, you've been smoking something not legal in TX.
Old 03-17-2014   #2122
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I prefer to call it "magic". Don't tell me you don't believe in magic.
That's it!!! TB's new nickname! Black Magic!
Old 03-17-2014   #2123
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I'm serious when I say I think there's a problem around weight and/or food for him.

He played last year ~190 lbs. and looked fine to me.
I personally have a problem with the "recent cold" explanation. The problem as I see it comes more likely from another angle.

He actually played last year at ~188. At the NFL Combine he weighed in at 214 pounds........26 pounds heavier. Then at the Pro Day, he's 208.........down 6 pounds from the Combine, but still 20 pounds heavier than last year's playing weight.

So this would be my concern. You know that because of all that was made of his light weight, pre Combine, he would have placed major concentrated effort to increase it.........much more on muscle weight training....and more lax on the aerobics.........and therefore on the conditioning/performance. It may have been a major reason for him not wanting to do anything at the Combine. Now for the Pro Day, the weight training would have to have been at least balanced out in order that it would not adversely affect performance..........performance for only ONE single outing. In adding back in more aerobics training, this could easily have accounted for his weight loss.

Now, during a NFL full season not only must your aerobics training activity be maintained, BUT it will naturally be INCREASED during playing time, not only during practices but especially regular game time.

And this is where I have a major question mark. With this anticipated shift in weight training:aerobics ratio, will Bridgewater be able to maintain the weight required playing in the NFL......and with it his mobility and strength.......and decent durability.

When we think of weight "problems" in new young NFL players, we typically think of players having problems keeping their weight down. However, just as concerning, if not more, is a player who cannot increase and/or maintain his weight at a level required to fulfill his role in the NFL.

As always, time will give us the answers. If holding the weight is a problem, for some fans, the answer cannot come too soon..........while for one team it may come too late.

EDIT: Playoffs pointed out to me that I listed weights incorrectly......I have corrected them accordingly. Thanks, Playoffs! The theory and conclusions remain the same.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2124
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
When we think of weight "problems" in new young NFL players, we typically think of players having problems keeping their weight down. However, just as concerning, if not more, is a player who cannot increase and/or maintain his weight at a level required to fulfill his role in the NFL.
Don't you think Bridgewater, at 21, will gain weight over time? Plus, he will be on a NFL nutrition program, year round. Wilson and Brees play around 205-210 lbs. If this is the biggest question mark concerning Bridgewater, I can't see it as stopping the Texans (or any other team) from drafting him.
Old 03-17-2014   #2125
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Hmm. "My boy"? Try again. Manziel is a likely boom-or-bust player in the NFL. Bortles is an unpolished project. Bridgewater is the most Pro-ready, but it's hard to tell where his ceiling lies.

It's not about bringing in Manziel as you say, it's about calling one off-schedule successful play a great throw and another one blind luck. Neither pass shown had the HC jumping for joy when it was let go. All three top QB candidates have had some "unconventional, yet successful" plays. Those plays will be much tougher sells in the NFL.

Anyone who can't tell that both plays had healthy doses of luck involved is seriously biased. I've seen the Cincinatti play to Copeland picked apart by dozens of sites, the word "prayer" comes up about 40% of the time.
Every play involves some degree of luck. One of those plays is luckier than the other, which is the basis of this entire conversation.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2126
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's it!!! TB's new nickname! Black Magic!
Oh no! I think you've just evoked dexman into the thread. Bad disaacks, bad disaacks!
Old 03-17-2014   #2127
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
A 5.9-5.6 is a second round pick..... solid back-up, possible starter

So for the group of QBs we're looking at, those grades say mid 1st to mid 2nd.... at least that's how I look at it. & they're close, as there isn't much separating them.

Bridgewater: uncanny pocket awareness & accuracy

Bortles: elite size

Manziel: Play makah

McCarron:

Pros:Elite size, good accuracy, good decision making, high to middle football IQ, decent mobility, major conference, major program, played under bright lights & delivered more times than not.

Cons: Played with too much talent on his team on both sides of the ball (Manziel was only surrounded by elite talent on the offensive side of the ball, Bridgewater had no talent on offense, but played with the #1 defense in NCAAF)
Again, my grades don't shake out like theirs, but the grouping is closer to what I've got.
I think the thing is: the smallest things make all the difference in the world. Being able to read the defense 0.5 seconds faster than another guy could be the difference between a bust and a top 10 QB. Being able to stay calm with pressure up your face and still do the right thing is something else like that.

If you look at Bridgewater, you got football intelligence and instincts that are rare in college football. Other QBs like McCarron may also be smart, but they don`t have this high football IQ. Another thing about Bridgewater is his drive. He is a film and playbook nut who is guaranteed to always be the hardest worker. And a third thing would be his pocket presence. He can feel the rush, do little but very effective moves in the pocket and still do the right throw with a 300 pounds guy about to hit him.

People who love Bridgewater believe, that these 3 things are just about the most important things for a QB - and if you look at recent busts, it usually has something to do with either football IQ, his drive or his inability to deal with pressure.

People who don`t like Bridgewater don`t like his size and frame - and maybe some mechanical problems. And they are scared, that his lackluster competition didn`t expose his weaknesses. To me, a guy with his stats (and the extremely low number of INTs and fumbles, great completion percentage and a guy that has had his best games against the best competition is worth a long hard look...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2128
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a Long Azz Day for the Teddybots.....so let me throw you a bone, the absolute best Pro Day ever for a college QB was turned in by JAMARCUS RUSSELL.

Last edited by Texian; 03-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2129
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I think the thing is: the smallest things make all the difference in the world. Being able to read the defense 0.5 seconds faster than another guy could be the difference between a bust and a top 10 QB. Being able to stay calm with pressure up your face and still do the right thing is something else like that.

If you look at Bridgewater, you got football intelligence and instincts that are rare in college football. Other QBs like McCarron may also be smart, but they don`t have this high football IQ. Another thing about Bridgewater is his drive. He is a film and playbook nut who is guaranteed to always be the hardest worker. And a third thing would be his pocket presence. He can feel the rush, do little but very effective moves in the pocket and still do the right throw with a 300 pounds guy about to hit him.

People who love Bridgewater believe, that these 3 things are just about the most important things for a QB - and if you look at recent busts, it usually has something to do with either football IQ, his drive or his inability to deal with pressure.

People who don`t like Bridgewater don`t like his size and frame - and maybe some mechanical problems. And they are scared, that his lackluster competition didn`t expose his weaknesses. To me, a guy with his stats (and the extremely low number of INTs and fumbles, great completion percentage and a guy that has had his best games against the best competition is worth a long hard look...

Well presented and thought out. I DO agree but I'm still a bit concerned about TB's stature. Maybe he can put on the weight. I hope he can and maintain it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2130
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, this was a disappointing day for TB and his supporters, but as I've seen others mention throughout the day: what matters infinitely more than pro day/combine performance is game tape, the interviews, game tape, game tape, and game tape.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2131
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

HT.com edited highlights: http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-medi...b-dac4831593f1
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2132
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you saying McCarron doesn't have these traits? Saban would beg to differ with you. He called McCarron the best QB in college football.

Facts are McCarron and TB have many of the same strengths and weaknesses. The differences are the level of competition and the amount of talent that surrounded them. Considering how close they are in talent IMHO (Both on the field/off the field) give me McCarron at 3-1 over TB at 1-1. Not saying that I want either as the Texans QB of the future.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2133
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If you think they practiced running sidways and slinging it sidearm to the corner of the endzone, you've been smoking something not legal in TX.
Just saw it on the news... they're working on it.
Old 03-17-2014   #2134
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't you think Bridgewater, at 21, will gain weight over time? Plus, he will be on a NFL nutrition program, year round.
What are they feeding him at Louisville? Tofu & beans?

Quote:
Wilson and Brees play around 205-210 lbs. If this is the biggest question mark concerning Bridgewater, I can't see it as stopping the Texans (or any other team) from drafting him.
Russell Wilson is 3 inches shorter... Brees is 2 inches shorter.

Look at it this way..... 110, 115 don't look bad on a 5'7" 5'8" female. Now if she was 4'10"... different story.
Old 03-17-2014   #2135
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

The hypocrisy here is hilarious. Two identical plays other than where the ball is placed. Of course it could be said that Manziel made a good play considering he lofted the ball in the direction of his elite, 6'5" WR with a 37" vertical. Takes a hell of a QB to be able to elude defenders like that and still be able to recognize where his big play WR is AND be able to get the ball to him.
Old 03-17-2014   #2136
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The hypocrisy here is hilarious. Two identical plays other than where the ball is placed. Of course it could be said that Manziel made a good play considering he lofted the ball in the direction of his elite, 6'5" WR with a 37" vertical. Takes a hell of a QB to be able to elude defenders like that and still be able to recognize where his big play WR is AND be able to get the ball to him.
I don't even know where to start with that comment. Identical plays? No, not at all. One is a toss up in the middle of the field following an unnecessary scramble. Manziel has an OL get pushed back, but the OL holds the block. He then spins around unnecessarily into pressure. Teddy had a free defender in his face. Manziel tosses it up in the middle of the field. Teddy lofts it toward the corner of the endzone. Multiple defenders have a shot at intercepting Manziel's pass. No defender has a shot at intercepting Bridgewater's pass. I guess ball placement is now not important or something?

Anyway, it's one play and an unfair comparison. Manziel has made similar plays to that one by Bridgewater. This is not one of them though and the attempt to call them identical is befuddling. It's interesting how some people see one thing and others see another.
Old 03-17-2014   #2137
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Like I said, Bridgewater fans seem to believe he has an uncanny ability in these three areas... & none of the QBs at the college level come close. He is the only QB who made adjustments, calls, & audibles at the LOS. He is the only one who stood tall in the pocket, or navigated the pocket with finesse. & nobody else even looks at game film, or study the play book, or know where all his receivers are going to be.

Quote:
They've all got "great stats" But Murray, Mettenberger, & McCarron played in their pro system, studied their playbooks, watched defensive film against SEC competition. Yards, TDs, INTs... those numbers are more a symptom of their situation. Look at percentages & ratios & these guys (I'm not sure about Mettenberger) performed at a very comparable level to Bridgewater, against better competition.
Old 03-17-2014   #2138
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't you think Bridgewater, at 21, will gain weight over time? Plus, he will be on a NFL nutrition program, year round. Wilson and Brees play around 205-210 lbs. If this is the biggest question mark concerning Bridgewater, I can't see it as stopping the Texans (or any other team) from drafting him.
I was told that he was throwing balls with a "downward" motion. When someone overbulks their upper arm, this can limit flexion of the elbow (hand can't touch shoulder), resulting in short-cocking the throw...........the ball's trajectory goes straight down. Try tightly wrapping a 2 inch thick bandage around your upper arm, and then try flexing and throwing a football.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014   #2139
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Kinda cool. He looked good... not too thin. If you told me he weighed 214, I wouldn't have known the difference.

I'd have liked to have seen the unedited version. I want to see him throw the out routes, the deep outs, the 9, the fade..... from the pocket. Not a lot of those routes on youtube, or any other "film".... If y'all have seen them, let me know.

In that highlight, there was a couple of out routes that he threw well, with plenty of zip... on a rope.
Old 03-17-2014   #2140
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I was told that he was throwing balls with a "downward" motion. When someone overbulks their upper arm, this can limit flexion of the elbow (hand can't touch shoulder), resulting in short-cocking the throw...........the ball's trajectory goes straight down. Try tightly wrapping a 2 inch thick bandage around your upper arm, and then try flexing and throwing a football.
Makes sense. I think he is suffering from a little anxiety about his weight. Whether that's due to an inability to maintain additional weight or due to the reported concerns on him, it's not a good look. I'd prefer him say that he has been in the midst of trying to add maintainable weight and his weight has been fluctuating during that process, rather than him make up something about an illness.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read