Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-14-2014   #1
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are we rebuilding?

I know, after being the worst team in the NFL I guess most teams would be rebuilding. But I really believe last years nightmare was mostly due to a combination of QB play imploding, bad kicking and clueless coaching. Our team all in all was definetly good enough to make the playoffs if Schaub would`ve been able to keep his playing level from the previous year.

Now I know that going crazy in FA isn`t the way to go, and building through the draft makes a lot of sense. But with us not adding one "good" player while losing Daniels and Smith kinda looks like we are more in it for the future than the present. The salary cap went up significantly and with us probably getting rid of Schaub, we should`ve been able to get a great pass rusher or OT somewhere. But it seems like we are going for salary cap flexibility in the future more than we are going to make this team a contender soon.

Yeah, rookie QBs usually don`t give immediate success. But IŽd hate guys like Andre having to finish their career like that. And it felt like we were close before last season, it`s frustrating to think we are ready for 2-3 more crappy years.

Or am I reading the situation wrong?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we rebuilding?

Of course we're rebuilding. It was inevitable. Nobody is saying that we're rebuilding but we're clearly rebuilding.
Old 03-14-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 241555 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104402
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #4
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
I know, after being the worst team in the NFL I guess most teams would be rebuilding. But I really believe last years nightmare was mostly due to a combination of QB play imploding, bad kicking and clueless coaching. Our team all in all was definetly good enough to make the playoffs if Schaub would`ve been able to keep his playing level from the previous year.

Now I know that going crazy in FA isn`t the way to go, and building through the draft makes a lot of sense. But with us not adding one "good" player while losing Daniels and Smith kinda looks like we are more in it for the future than the present. The salary cap went up significantly and with us probably getting rid of Schaub, we should`ve been able to get a great pass rusher or OT somewhere. But it seems like we are going for salary cap flexibility in the future more than we are going to make this team a contender soon.

Yeah, rookie QBs usually don`t give immediate success. But IŽd hate guys like Andre having to finish their career like that. And it felt like we were close before last season, it`s frustrating to think we are ready for 2-3 more crappy years.

Or am I reading the situation wrong?

If the Jaguars were 2-14 last year, fired their entire coaching staff and had huge questions at defensive line, linebacker, QB, running back and offensive line, what would you say about them? Would they be rebuilding?

Yes indeed we are in full rebuild mode. There's no two ways about it.
Old 03-14-2014   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Meh!!

I don't believe this 2-14 team is actually a 2-14 team.

What I mean by that is that there is actually a lot of talent on this team.

Save the QB meltdown and the fact that the team quit on Kubiak there is talent here.

The question is:
Quote:
Are we rebuilding?

NO!! Re-tooling is more accurate. (And yes, there is a difference!)

Like Bill O'Brien is gonna let AJ get away like Steve Smith Leaving Carolina to the Ravens.
Old 03-14-2014   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Other than us, who else is out there rebuilding?

What have they done since FA started?

How does that differ from what we've done?
Old 03-14-2014   #7
CharloTex
Veteran

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 15991 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #8
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

This shouldn't be a full scale rebuild. We have good players at key positions and we have some great players in watt, Dre, Cushing, Duane brown. Some good young players. Some good starters.

The main thing we need is a qb.

I think the rest of the roster won't be extremely hard to fill in around what we have already.

If we hit on the qb then I think that speeds up the recovery even more.

I've said this in other threads, but I don't expect this to be a bad team next year. There isn't a team I'd consider to be dominant in our division. Titans and jags are meh...colts are beatable. Our division isn't that tough tbh.

Get some good quality bargain free agents. Draft well.

I expect to see a good team next year. Maybe catch some breaks and exceed expectations.

I don't expect to see a team struggling to keep the lights on.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #9
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

We are rebuilding and will continue to do so until we find competent qb play. I'll be thrilled with .500 next year.
Old 03-14-2014   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

For those who think this isn't a full scale rebuild, let's be honest here. Let's look at the talent (or lack thereof) on this roster. Let's take a look at the guys on our team who would likely be contributors for most teams in the league.

QB - N/A
RB - Foster (coming off injury, again)
FB - N/A
WR 1 - Johnson
WR 2 - Hopkins (solid rookie year)
WR 3 - N/A
TE - N/A
LT - Brown
LG - N/A
C - Myers
RG - Brooks (maybe a stretch but I think he's on his way)
RT - N/A

WDE - N/A
NT - N/A
SDE - Watt
WOLB - N/A
WILB - Cushing
SILB - N/A
SOLB - N/A
CB 1 - Joseph
CB 2 - Jackson
FS - Manning
SS - N/A

K - N/A
P - Lechler
RET - N/A

If that's not a sobering reality check then I don't know what to tell you guys. This team has been held together by it's top talent for a while now. And it's gotten to the point where those guys can't do it by themselves anymore and they need some help.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #11
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

If we have good qb play next season we will compete for division champ. If we don't have good qb play we will struggle.

I don't care about the supposed holes we have right now. I don't agree with everyone's position listings and between young guys that are already here, FAs we'll sign and the draft I think we'll fill some holes with quality players. I also believe the coaching will be better.

So again, I expect this team to be competitive next year...if the find good qb play.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This is kinda what I was saying in another thread about winnable games.

I want to see what moves we make and I'm dying to know what our team is going to end up being. Because right now, I'm just seeing swiss cheese. We've got a few really great pieces, a few makeshift pieces, a few pieces that haven't been healthy and I don't know if we should count on, and... holes. Mostly holes.

I wasn't expecting us to make any huge splashes in FA. But I was expecting... something. Granted, a lot of the contracts that have been handed out so far are puzzling and more money that I think we should spend for some of these guys, but I'd like to at least be in the conversation for more of them.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Meh!!

I don't believe this 2-14 team is actually a 2-14 team.

What I mean by that is that there is actually a lot of talent on this team.

Save the QB meltdown and the fact that the team quit on Kubiak there is talent here.
Sure , there is a lot of talent on this roster , like many others they have some really good players. The difference is that this roster has more holes than a Peking whore house while the contenders / non-rebuild mode teams have many fewer questionmarks.

The meltdown really highlights how pathetic last years draft was , its hard to believe that a 2-14 team couldn't get its draftee's on the field over the scrubs that went 2-14 (injuries were part of it but talent , work ethic and character were bigger issues).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
For those who think this isn't a full scale rebuild, let's be honest here. Let's look at the talent (or lack thereof) on this roster. Let's take a look at the guys on our team who would likely be contributors for most teams in the league.

QB - N/A
RB - Foster (coming off injury, again)Pro Bowl
FB - N/A
WR 1 - JohnsonPro Bowl, All Pro
WR 2 - Hopkins (solid rookie year)
WR 3 - N/A
TE - N/A
LT - BrownPro Bowl
LG - N/A
C - MyersPro Bowl
RG - Brooks (maybe a stretch but I think he's on his way)3rd Year
RT - N/A

WDE - N/A
NT - N/A
SDE - WattDPOY, Pro Bowl, All-Pro
WOLB - N/A
WILB - CushingDROY(x2), Pro Bowl
SILB - N/A
SOLB - N/A
CB 1 - JosephPro Bowl
CB 2 - Jackson1st Round
FS - Manning
SS - N/A

K - N/A
P - Lechler
RET - N/A

If that's not a sobering reality check then I don't know what to tell you guys. This team has been held together by it's top talent for a while now. And it's gotten to the point where those guys can't do it by themselves anymore and they need some help.
Can't have pro bowlers & 1st rounders at every position. Especially considering we're going to be playing Buffalo, Oakland, Cleveland, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Dallas, Washington, Cincinnati, & Philly

& we play in the AFC & we play in the AFC South...

Granted, we won't fix all our problems in one offseason, we won't be very good, but we don't have to be, we just have to be better than the teams that have not had as much success as we have the past 5 years. (Kinda like I don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than you).

Andrew Luck, Reggie Wayne, & Ty Hilton won 11 games against a much more difficult schedule after the Colts were 2-14 the year before..

If we can fix half the holes this offseason, we'll be sitting pretty going into the 2015 off-season
Old 03-14-2014   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we can fix half the holes this offseason, we'll be sitting pretty going into the 2015 off-season after the Colts were 2-14 the year before.

I'd agree with that ..... Pending QB is one of the positions we "fix" and that fix is a legit NFL talent. Doesn't have to be Luck good , just Rivers / Flacco good (long term).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I'd agree with that ..... Pending QB is one of the positions we "fix" and that fix is a legit NFL talent. Doesn't have to be Luck good , just Rivers / Flacco good (long term).
Agreed. Some QBs make their WRs look better than they actually are. We've got two pretty good ones, one can make a QB look better than he is. His blind-side, whoever he is, will be protected & as long as Vince Wilfork is recovering from his achilles, & Chris Jenkins is out of the league, he'll be able to step up into the pocket.
Old 03-14-2014   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

So what's the difference between rebuilding & reloading?
Old 03-15-2014   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So what's the difference between rebuilding & reloading?
Winning and consistent success. Two things we don't know very well.

Have to build something before you rebuild. Is 2 playoff wins in our history something to rebuild or are we still building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #20
Dash
Rookie

Rep Power: 117 Dash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respectedDash is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure if rebuilding would be the smartest thing to do considering that it would be wasting another year of Andre Johnson and the final year (?) of JJ Watt's pre-extension contract.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read