Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-09-2014   #21
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free agent Ben Tate: 'I'm an elite running back' in NFL

Tate's a very good running back, but I don't think he's an elite back. And these days most teams don't require an elite back to be successful. Sure the Seahawks have Lynch but their system is geared towards a heavy run game. Adrian Peterson is the best back in the league but what have the Vikings done recently? Most teams these days use a 2 or 3 back rotation because it's efficient. Tate may be the de facto starter with whatever teams he signs with, but it won't surprise me at all if he's back to splitting carries with another back.
Old 03-10-2014   #22
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not sure where all this better runner than Foster stuff is coming from. Tate's vision is not near as good and his cut back decision making is not as good as Foster's. He isn't as fast as he thinks he is and commonly presses the stretch trying to get the forward edge when he should cut back into clear field on the back side as they play is designed to leave open.
Agree!! Foster's vision is what made him a very good RB. I hope he's still able to use it

Tate just doesn't have the vision of Foster. He'll bang it rather than look for the cutback or any sort of running lane.
Old 03-10-2014   #23
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Agree!! Foster's vision is what made him a very good RB. I hope he's still able to use it

Tate just doesn't have the vision of Foster. He'll bang it rather than look for the cutback or any sort of running lane.
Tate has superior long-speed, has a better "burst", and is a more potent "thumper" than Foster, otherwise he's got nothing on him as a runner.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Tate has superior long-speed, has a better "burst", and is a more potent "thumper" than Foster, otherwise he's got nothing on him as a runner.
Sure he does. Must be why he busts off so many more long runs than Arian. Oh wait, % of runs over 20 yds:

2.69% - Tate
3.27% - Foster

And let's not forget Tate coughing up the ball 2.1% of carries v. .88%.

I like Tate but other than a narrow margin in top speed he isn't as good as Foster.
Old 03-10-2014   #25
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85909 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a solid back, but nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #26
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember people used to say Tate could start for 30 other teams and would be an elite back when he got his chance.

I never agreed with that.

Sometimes in particular instances Tate has run better than Arian. Tate should have been given the rock. But overall he's not as good as Arian was when Arian was at his best.

But Tate has to say this. He has to plant it in other teams' minds that he's a feature back because that's the only way he'll get any kind of decent contract. RB's are seen as somewhat fungible so Tate saying he's an elite back is just him selling himself as a feature back.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #27
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Quote:
One GM today on free-agent RBs: "That position needs its own union. We treat our equipment people better than we treat our running backs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Tate has long been hated around here and I don't understand it. I hope he gets paid, just not by us. Good luck to him.
Kinda ironic as we move towards a style he's better suited to(imo) he's moving on.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #28
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
And I'm King of the Potato People!
Well...I am El Presidente y Generalisimo de la Republica del bario del Segundo.

"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #29
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never seen Tate leave potential HoF defenders grasping for air and looking like fools.

I vividly remember Foster doing this to the Steelers a couple of seasons ago. He made both Troy Polamalu and James Harrison (iirc) look like rookies in the open field trying to tackle him.

I'll give Tate his due, but let's not get emotional about it. He's a solid back, and obviously has a lot of self-confidence, but he has never been close to the talent that Arian Foster displayed in his prime.
Old 03-10-2014   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year, he was a liability in Pass Pro. He almost got the QB killed a few times.

I thought he was great as a change-up to Arian but as the lead back, not so much. So I agree with some other posters that he's going to get out there and then find himself platooned again somehow.

I remember watching the Hey Rookie show when he was drafted. He was ticked other RBs were taken before he was. He was moping around and sulking. While I think it's good that a player think a lot of themselves, I'm not sure he's out-grown that childishness.

With all that said, I hope we pick up a really good replacement for him in the draft and I wish him all the luck wherever he ends up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #31
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a huge liability in pass coverage and coughs up the ball all too often, but hey, best of luck from us wishywashy fans.
Old 03-11-2014   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance87 View Post
That burn was ice cold.

Dood played with broken ribs for us though, much respect.
You know, the cynic in me is certain that the "dood" played with broken ribs for his next contract and not for the Texans.

I try not to listen to him (the cynic in me) because he affects my enjoyment of the "game" but he's right when he calls it a business and he's right about why Ben Tate answered the bell last year when he was hurting.
Old 03-11-2014   #33
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
In 2011 Tate had almost 1000 yards as a backup and this past year he had > 700 with just 7 starts so he's a very talented back and a better pure runner than Foster ever was.
And Tate was refreshingly candid on responses to media interviews, somebody who never said crap like "I love the city, hope I can finish my career in Houston." He had some real bad luck when it came to his injury in his rookie year, I wish him the best the rest of his NFL career.

Yeh but he's wishy washy..........

Props to the dude for playing with broken ribs, even if he was doing it for his next contract and not for the Texans. I'm still a little bitter about being called a fair weather fan, but maybe that's just me.
Old 03-11-2014   #34
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but Tate hasn't done squat in his career. I can't believe anyone is still talking this guy up at this point. I used to be a big Tate guy and I was dead wrong. The guy can't stay healthy and damn sure can't stagy consistent. Elite RB? Puuullleeeaaase!!! Tate can take his ass to whatever team he likes and under achieve over there, and then he can complain about the fans who boo his ass after the game like he did here. Hopefully he lands on the Jets and can learn what it's like to deal with really harsh fans.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #35
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Sorry, but Tate hasn't done squat in his career. I can't believe anyone is still talking this guy up at this point.
These same guys are probably belly-aching about paying Foster when we did. Surely they're dying to pay Tate after one injury free season out of 4.

$20M guaranteed.... $6M/yr.
Old 03-11-2014   #36
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
$20M guaranteed.... $6M/yr.
I'm going to guess more like $7 mil ($5 mil signing bonus and 1st year salary) guaranteed and about $4 mil/yr - 4 year deal.
Old 03-14-2014   #37
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yup. Arian Foster's "running him into the ground" year was 21.9 cpg.

Tough killing off myths though.
Those 3 years he touched the ball 24.77 times when you include receptions. That's one area of the game where Tate can't help you as much.

Good luck to Tate. I hope he signs a big contract, has a great season, and the league awards us a 3rd round pick.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read