Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2014   #881
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
And Schaub has zero incentive to renegotiate his deal IMO. And the Texans have zero leverage to make him do it.
I think there is one sales pitch they might sell him on. Tell him they will be taking one of the top 3 QBs at 1.1 but they do not want him to start the season. Tell Schaub he will get 6-8 games starting which will be his opportunity to audition for the league and show he is better than his off year and up his market value and chance for a starting job. Get him to reduce to an amount akin to Henne/Cassel which is what he could currently hope for and increase his odds to get more next year.

Not saying that is what they should do but I think there is leverage/incentive to work with.
Old 03-13-2014   #882
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Starting to feel more and more like Schaub is staying for 1 more season. Cut or traded after this season. Depending on who the rookie QB is, Schaub might not make it past 6-8 games as the starter.

Edit: Schaub will be 7 million in dead money 2015. Roughly 3.5 million less than what his dead money will be for 2014. Essentially what we are paying him to play this season.
Rumor is that the Raiders made a trade offer for Schaub, but I haven't heard anything about it since.
Old 03-13-2014   #883
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schaub is going to be traded.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #884
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well add that person to the list of people you disregard. No team is trading a 27 td, 2 INT QB over mobility idealism. The only way Folk is getting traded away is if he gets caught making conjugal visits to the HC or owners' house while they are out.
You mean like Hillis hitting on Josh McDaniels wife?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #885
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
You mean like Hillis hitting in Josh McDaniels wife?
fify
Old 03-13-2014   #886
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Rumor is that the Raiders made a trade offer for Schaub, but I haven't heard anything about it since.
From the Raiders Oakland Tribune beat writer
Quote:
Jerry McDonald @Jerrymcd

Like it or not, the veteran QB Raiders have most interest in at moment is not yet a free agent _ Matt Schaub of Houston.
1:30 PM - 12 Mar 2014 from California, US, United States
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #887
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21460 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
By the numbers

Houston 1-1 3000

ATL 1-6 1600
ATL 2-37 530
2015 2nd 190
Total 2320

Throw in the 2015 1st (420) and then we can talk at 2740.

I'm an advocate of picking up future picks at the current market discount whenever possible. I expect the discount to fall in the future.

ps Future picks derived from the value of the 16th pick of the next lowest round of the current year for 2015, two rounds lower for 2016, three rounds lower for 2017, etc.

I agree that we should ask for the 2015 1st, but my gut tells me they would balk at that price. So, wouldn't it make more sense to take less than fair value (if it's the best offer you can get from them), if it helps you to fill more needs than standing pat & taking Clowney only? I realize that Clowney is a rare talent, but so are JJ/AJ & together they couldn't get us there.

My concern is just that the #1 overall pick rarely gets traded because of the perceived value. In the scenario I proposed, we still draft a stud OLB, trade one 2nd round pick for a starting QB & pick up an extra 2nd round pick for our troubles for just passing on Clowney. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to be good value to me.

The Texan Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #888
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
My concern is just that the #1 overall pick rarely gets traded because of the perceived value.
I don't think a trade is likely still but one reason the #1 was rarely traded was the obscene contracts which have now been eliminated.
Old 03-13-2014   #889
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
People are getting antsy about Schaub getting cut.

But.

This is a horrible free agent QB market. At some point in the near future, some team is going to be very, very desperate for a veteran QB. When that happens, they're going to come crawling to us with some ridiculous offers.

We aren't under any time-pressure to get rid of him. With the pressure starting to build, we could be able to convert him into something.
I know a team desperate for a veteran QB......... They play in Harris County, TX.....
Old 03-13-2014   #890
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 6959 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think a trade is likely still but one reason the #1 was rarely traded was the obscene contracts which have now been eliminated.

I think the rams are in a better place to trade the pick, everyone waiting on us then they will get the calls

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #891
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

if Ol rick is good enough to snopp the raiders in giving up a pick rather the be a 5th or 4th for MAttt then man maybe he has turend it around and put his game face on

The raiders are not that dumb tho LOL why not just wait till hes cut

the pick what 7th they can get one of the top 3 QBS in the draft
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #892
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76315 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
May I ask where you heard this
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #893
PHILLYTEXANFAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 6959 PHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respectedPHILLYTEXANFAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
May I ask where you heard this

Wiki-leaks?!?!?

Your man... Pots and pans
PHILLYTEXANFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #894
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
I think the rams are in a better place to trade the pick, everyone waiting on us then they will get the calls
Everyone is waiting? Not one team would say, "Let's call the Texans to see if they would move out of 1-1"? Really?
Old 03-14-2014   #895
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 17553 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mike Glennon?

Even before FA started there was word on the street that Lovie Smith didn't have much faith in Mike Glennon being the starting QB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...smith-says-yes (Recent article about McCown signing)

Quote:
Smith inherited Mike Glennon from the previous regime and he never appeared to be onboard with the 2013 third-round pick out of NC State, even though Glennon fared well after taking over for Josh Freeman last season.
As a rookie he had 19 TD's and only 9 INT's. He fits BOB's prototypical QB and because of the random fall out with Lovie, we should inquire on him and see if they'd be willing to trade.

Yates + 4th or 5th for Glennon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDzn78MiYg (Highlights)
http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeglennon/2539275/profile (Stats)

I'd be interested.
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #896
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think a trade is entirely possible.

Say you trade back to 4 or even 6 , you are going to have one or more of the following to choose from -

Jadeveon Clowney
Greg Robinson
Jake Matthews
Blake Bortles
Teddy Bridgewater
Johnny Manziel
Sammy Watkins
Khalil Mack
Anthony Barr
Zack Martin

With all the need for QB's at the top even at 4/6 its quite possible you get the best prospect at his position .... and compensation for moving down. (I use QB#1-3 rather than actually rank them to avoid argument on that subject).

Scenario 1 - Trade w/ Cleveland

Cle - QB#1
Stl - Greg Robinson
Jaq's - QB#2

You are sitting @ #4 with Clowney , Mack , Barr , Watkins & one of the top 3 QB's.

Scenario 2 - Trade w/ Atlanta

Atl - Clowney
Stl - Robinson
Jaq's - QB1
Cleveland - QB#2
Oakland - QB#3

You are in good shape here too , tho you don't get a shot at a first round QB , there is loads of talent available , with the best player @ OLB , WR , CB & ILB still on the board along with multiple top tier OT prospects.

Earlier in the process , I would have wanted a kings ransom for the #1 overall , something like 4 , 26 , 68 + a future pick.

Now , after realizing what would be available to me , I'd still like that huge haul , but would settle for a bit less , maybe 4 & 26 or 4 , 35 & a future pick from Cleveland or something like 6 , 37 , 101 and a future pick from Atlanta.

None of those deals come close to what the Redskins gave to move up to #2 which was two #1's , a #2 and a future #1. to move 4(?) spots.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #897
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28118 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point is, I don't agree that there is much benefit in cutting him now vs. next year. Either way we are going to spend that extra 10-11 million on a vet QB contract. See Josh McCown 2 year deal.

And Schaub has zero incentive to renegotiate his deal IMO. And the Texans have zero leverage to make him do it.

It might be the best idea to keep Schaub for another year and give him the money, maybe he can turn it around and increase his trade value while giving our #1 pick more time to learn the NFL.

Its the size of his contract that have people resisting him.Gabbert is cheap. And young.
Perhaps I should have made this clearer. The extra ~$11M is for just 2014. 2015 would be an another $13.5M (Making it the equivalent of a ~$24.5M two year contract) and 2016 would be another additional $15.5M, (Making it the equivalent of a $40M three year contract)

Again, this is over the $10.5M in dead money we have to count against the cap.

I do not think it will take this much to get a backup since this is the price of a mid tier starter. But Schaub MIGHT be willing to negotiate on his non-guaranteed salary to reflect the price of a veteran backup and occasional starter.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #898
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28118 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think there is one sales pitch they might sell him on. Tell him they will be taking one of the top 3 QBs at 1.1 but they do not want him to start the season. Tell Schaub he will get 6-8 games starting which will be his opportunity to audition for the league and show he is better than his off year and up his market value and chance for a starting job. Get him to reduce to an amount akin to Henne/Cassel which is what he could currently hope for and increase his odds to get more next year.

Not saying that is what they should do but I think there is leverage/incentive to work with.
And the earth shakes as we agree on the sales pitch. Though the same could be told to Keenum with a much lesser hit on the cap and no need to renegotiate.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #899
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

Earlier in the process , I would have wanted a kings ransom for the #1 overall , something like 4 , 26 , 68 + a future pick.

Now , after realizing what would be available to me , I'd still like that huge haul , but would settle for a bit less , maybe 4 & 26 or 4 , 35 & a future pick from Cleveland or something like 6 , 37 , 101 and a future pick from Atlanta.

None of those deals come close to what the Redskins gave to move up to #2 which was two #1's , a #2 and a future #1. to move 4(?) spots.
Based on your expectations for what we receive for our 1.1, I have to tell you you aren't being realistic here Corrosion because there's no one in this Draft remotely comparable in value to RGIII. So those charts that say you can get this or that for your 1.1 based upon assigning various arbitrary point totals to the different picks are irrevalent this year, even with the changes to the CBA which makes the compensation scale less progressive and therefor the top pick less expensive in terms of cap than under the old CBA.
So you said you'd want Clevelands 1.4, 1.26, & 2.4 for our 1.1, right ? You need to tone down your demands/expectations and look at something more along the lines of getting just their 1.4 & 2.4.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #900
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Based on your expectations for what we receive for our 1.1, I have to tell you you aren't being realistic here Corrosion because there's no one in this Draft remotely comparable in value to RGIII. So those charts that say you can get this or that for your 1.1 based upon assigning various arbitrary point totals to the different picks are irrevalent this year, even with the changes to the CBA which makes the compensation scale less progressive and therefor the top pick less expensive in terms of cap than under the old CBA.
So you said you'd want Clevelands 1.4, 1.26, & 2.4 for our 1.1, right ? You need to tone down your demands/expectations and look at something more along the lines of getting just their 1.4 & 2.4.
I think you should probably reread his post, then read your response.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read