Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-19-2014   #41
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Smith QB Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTexan Slim View Post
I was looking over the 790 blog and came across Jayson Braddock's assessments of QBs. He has a write up on QBs in rounds 2-7 here:

http://www.sports790.com/onair/the-d...ound-12053064/

In his evaluation, he has Smith as the number 1 rated QB coming out. I hadn't heard anything about this guy and found this another interesting option. I know he's another "talking head" but there has to be something to his assessment. He seems to have good size, mobility, and a live arm. I think we have to come away with a solid starting QB in this draft, and was wondering if anyone else has looked into this guy as an option.

Thoughts?
Jayson was out front on Colin Kaepernick, as well.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brett Smith, QB - Wyoming

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Watching the QB workouts, I couldn't help but think about the fact that QB Brett Smith is better than a number of QBs here in Indy #Snubbed
Old 02-27-2014   #43
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Nice in depth piece on the forgotten QB...

2014 NFL Draft: Wyoming QB Brett Smith Sees Beyond the Doubters
Quote:
As a draft analyst, one of the last quarterbacks on my list to scout was Wyoming junior Brett Smith.

Admittedly, I was none too thrilled to be watching film of a Mountain West quarterback with a losing record (17-20) and an omission from the NFL Scouting Combine on his resume. Yet, after a few games of resisting the urge to be incredibly impressed, I could hold my enthusiasm back no longer.

This is the time of year when most days are spent in a dark room watching tape until hundreds of NFL hopefuls have been identified and graded—each trying to not only convince an NFL team they belong, but perhaps subconsciously convince themselves as well.

The truth is, not a single young man out there training his butt off for a shot at the NFL really knows what the NFL is like.

It’s a place where hotshot All-Stars go to be humbled by an entirely new level of competition. It’s an unforgiving league that will weed out the weak faster than a pride of lions on the Serengeti.

So I watched another game of this odd-looking kid, and another. What the tape showed over and over again was a terrific competitor making plays all over the field with his legs, arm and very little help from a supporting cast.

It was as if someone took Johnny Manziel, put him on a team of castoffs, stretched him vertically and harnessed his manic playing style into a more controlled, steady burn. In his three years at Wyoming, Smith rushed for 1,529 yards and 20 touchdowns while throwing 76 touchdowns and 28 interceptions.

Keep in mind any Manziel comparison coming his way speaks more to his unique mobility and affinity for ad-libbing than anything else. Aside from that, it kept getting better.

One of the more impressive things about Smith’s makeup was his incredibly consistent..
Old 02-27-2014   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

tweets read bottom(oldest)-to-top

Matt Waldman ‏@MattWaldman
Quote:
I wonder if the same "bean-counter" tendency that befalls some evaluators victimized Smith in the way playing in SEC somewhat protected JM.

Brett Smith's intermediate range, pinpoint accuracy, and willingness to put it into tight windows is as good as anyone in this class.

I've seen enough to say that I know he can drive the ball and gain a little more velocity on deeper throws.

I've been waiting to say more about Smith until I saw a few more games because the Nebraska one wasn't enough.

Agree. RT @MikelSevere: @MattWaldman Love his pocket mobility, he moves in the pocket and finds windows to throw as good as anyone.

Brett Smith made some errors in the Texas game that were egregious, but the athleticism was even more apparent in that contest.

Although QB Brett Smith's game vs. Nebraska was his "big deal" moment. I was even more impressed with his Texas gm as a sophomore.

Quote:
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
@MattWaldman He was a junior, so that's why no All-Star Games, but absolutely perplexing how he didn't receive a Combine invite. Stupid.
If QB Brett Smith played at LSU or Georgia he'd be a household name. I agree w/a lot of what @Ryan_Riddle wrote in his BR piece.

Count me among those who don't understand why Wyoming QB Brett Smith wasn't at the Combine or an all-star game.
Old 02-27-2014   #45
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Quote:
Wyo's Smith will be be doing a lot of workouts in March

I wrote a very favorable report on Smith in the NFP in December 28th.

Another QB that will start to warm up is Wyoming's Brett Smith
NFL Prospect Focus: Brett Smith

Greg Gabriel for National Football Post
Quote:
Smith has adequate size at about 6’ 21/2" – 215. He is a good athlete with better than adequate speed for a quarterback. I would estimate his play speed at 4.7. He plays in a spread formation offense and never plays from under center. He is a poised, patient player and does a good job reading coverages and finding an open receiver. With his athleticism, he can keep plays alive with his feet and has good run skills. They run a lot of read-option type plays, and while Smith isn’t Johnny Manziel with the ball in his hands, he is an effective runner.

Smith has put up good numbers while at Wyoming. This year, he completed 63% of his passes for 3375 yards, 29 TDs and 11 interceptions. For his career, he has completed 751 of 1212 passes for 8843 yards and a 62% completion percentage. He has also thrown for 76 TDs and only 28 interceptions. Smith does not have the supporting cast that many top quarterbacks have, so those numbers are impressive.

I like that he is an accurate passer with good ball placement. He can throw the ball with velocity while on the run to either direction. He has the patience and poise to go through a progression and find an open receiver. He seldom forces throws. He doesn’t have a cannon, but his arm is good enough. His mechanics are good and he has a quick release. I did notice that his release is not the same with every throw. Also, he will not consistently set his feet before he throws. When he shows proper footwork, the ball comes out nicely.

I have seen Smith make all the throws that an NFL QB has to make. He can throw a deep out, slants, posts, and fades. He can fire the ball if necessary and can also throw with touch. Because he doesn’t have a bunch of 4.5 receivers catching his passes he can put a bit too much air under his deep balls. He can get...
Old 02-27-2014   #46
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Starting to think Smith might be a 3rd rounder to some team.
Old 02-27-2014   #47
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He doesn’t have a cannon, but his arm is good enough. His mechanics are good and he has a quick release. I did notice that his release is not the same with every throw. Also, he will not consistently set his feet before he throws. When he shows proper footwork, the ball comes out nicely.
I don't see what these guys are looking at. I watched the Nebraska game and the 2012 UT game, and Smith's arm is nowhere near NFL caliber. It looks like he's throwing a jump pass most of the time. I don't get the Manziel comparisons at all. More like a right-handed, poor man's Kellen Moore. Smith does not look like any NFL QB I'm familiar with. I see his ceiling as the CFL, floor as the Arena league.
Old 02-27-2014   #48
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't see what these guys are looking at. I watched the Nebraska game and the 2012 UT game, and Smith's arm is nowhere near NFL caliber. It looks like he's throwing a jump pass most of the time. I don't get the Manziel comparisons at all. More like a right-handed, poor man's Kellen Moore. Smith does not look like any NFL QB I'm familiar with. I see his ceiling as the CFL, floor as the Arena league.
lol, good stuff. Be careful though.

This guy is a feel good story, I hope he sticks on a team, but he's just another guy that will be forgotten about and denied support of him next season.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014   #49
obrien52289
Rookie

Default Brett Smith, QB - Wyoming

Bad version of a right handed Tebow
obrien52289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Quote:
John Football 4.68 RT @AllbrightNFL: Brett Smith 4.45 on his first 40
Eric Galko ‏@OptimumScouting
Quote:
Love him on Day 3...Pass on Manziel, Grab Smith in 4th. RT @AllbrightNFL: Brett smith 4.45 on his first 40
Not buying it.
Old 03-13-2014   #51
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Height: 6’3”
Weight: 205 pounds

Quote:
This kid may not look pretty in what he does, he may not have the best footwork or strongest arm, but when you watch close enough, you start to understand what makes this wiry warrior so intriguing.

Smith is a uniquely tough competitor with rare ability to deliver pinpoint accurate passes in the midst of chaos.

To say his offensive line was porous would be an understatement. He was constantly under duress, dodging blitzes, shedding would-be-tacklers and running away from trouble, all while keeping his eye down the field and looking for an open target. Once found, a quick release and the snap of the wrist would send the ball whizzing through the air, landing masterfully between two defenders before hitting the receiver perfectly on the numbers.

This type of play would act itself out play after play and game after game.

When there was no receiver to be found, Smith had no problem tucking the ball in and running for huge chunks of yards in a similar way Johnny Manziel has become famous for.

Smith is a fierce competitor with good strength, elite toughness and outstanding poise. Unfortunately, he was egregiously overlooked and failed to receive an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine, despite declaring for the draft early after his junior year.

There is a real chance Smith is undrafted come May. But whichever team has the ability to see his potential, will not regret putting their faith in a little-known quarterback from the University of Wyoming.
Old 03-13-2014   #52
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
These stats are pretty interesting cause a lot of people dogging on Teddy B for his frame and being too skinny were all about this guy.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #53
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
These stats are pretty interesting cause a lot of people dogging on Teddy B for his frame and being too skinny were all about this guy.
TB was as low as 188 lbs. late in the year last season. Not really a concern now as long as his pro day goes well. TB is targeting 220+, but that's for another topic.

The outcry on Brett Smith was that he did not get a Combine invite.
Old 03-13-2014   #54
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd take him over JM.

Will not cost as high of a pick and he looks like he has more potential IMO.

But he's going to need some seasoning. Will throw some picks.

Honestly, out of the QB's I've watched he's my 2nd favorite. Carr would move down to third for me.

If we pass on TB, I'll be rooting for us to pick Smith up. He looks nice.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #55
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ryan Lownes ‏@ryanlownes
Eric Galko ‏@OptimumScouting
Not buying it.
I don't know about 4.45...But I would not be shocked based on his film...

But he looks more like a 4.5 guy based on what I saw. Definitely faster than Manziel.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL
Quote:
Brett Smith's official numbers: 6016 207, 10 inch hands. 4.51 official 40 time.
Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey
Quote:
Russell Lande ‏@RUSSLANDE
Quote:
@cecillammey - There is no doubt he should have been. He has a quick release, a strong arm & is one of most athletic QB's in the draft.
45 yards on the run to his right or left Brett Smith putting on a show at #gowyo pro day

After watching Brett Smith throw today, it further emphasizes my belief he should've been at the #NFLCombine

Brett Smith just hit Herron in stride at 55 yards #GoWyo pro day

Brett Smith showing an improved throwing motion at #GoWyo pro day over the top, still lightning quick
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline
Quote:
Brett Smith/QB/Wyoming also turning heads....surprising people with his arm strength...
Old 03-13-2014   #57
bhsman
All Pro

Rep Power: 15546 bhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respectedbhsman is a quality contributor and well respected

Question is, if the team was interested in him, at what point does he get drafted? Will he be a surprise second rounder, or would it be safer to grab him later? Not being invited to the Combine didn't stop us from drafting Brandon Brooks in the third.
bhsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Question is, if the team was interested in him, at what point does he get drafted? Will he be a surprise second rounder, or would it be safer to grab him later? Not being invited to the Combine didn't stop us from drafting Brandon Brooks in the third.
If you want him, don't get fancy, just go ahead and take him at 3.1.
Old 03-13-2014   #59
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsman View Post
Not sure he's a fit for OB, but he looks to me like a "better" JFF. Very good accuracy, just kinda ugly doing it like Philip Rivers was. He's a day 3 pick, imo.
Old 03-13-2014   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Reported Smith broad jumped 10'8", which I'm rechecking but if true would put him 3rd vs. all WRs at the Combine(!)

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey
Quote:
According to a source #Broncos have a private workout scheduled with #gowyo QB Brett Smith #NFLDraft

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read