Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2014   #261
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Potential Free Agents

oh, and HOW the F is denver doing what they are doing in FA?
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #262
cstyle42
Veteran

Rep Power: 5283 cstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respectedcstyle42 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
oh, and HOW the F is denver doing what they are doing in FA?
They are taking risk doing whatever it takes to have the best roster possible. Texans must be preparing to pay JJ Watt only... we have made a lot of mistakes obviously but not signing one big impact free agent is unacceptable for the situation we are in right now.
cstyle42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #263
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
so i thought the plan was to pick up 3 starters in fa and 2-3 starters in the draft.
what are we doing? maybe were planning on getting 6 starters in the draft?
We are going all-in on Rick Smith's excellent drafting this year apparently. We're f*&^*^.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #264
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

well take Sproles off the list, he just traded to the Eagles...

talk about finding the golden ticket for his talent...
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #265
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

In addition to Steve Smith I hope the Texans take a look at Brandon Browner.
Old 03-13-2014   #266
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

NT Cam Thomas (Chargers)
NT Terrance Cody (Ravens)
ILB Brandon Spikes (Pats)
CB/KR Javier Arenas (KC)

Would this be realistic with the Texans cap?

Raji ain't exactly lighting the market on fire, but he would cost as much as the four above combined.
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #267
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
In addition to Steve Smith I hope the Texans take a look at Brandon Browner.
Browner should be relatively inexpensive considering his 4 game suspension. He's supposedly visiting the Redskins (Politically incorrect) today. I don't have a link to this though.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #268
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

What's the point in signing free agents if you aren't going to compete this year? The only people we have any business signing are offensive players to help protect our new QB. Get a RT for cheap once the first wave of free agents has passed, then look at a blocking TE for cheap, and a backup RB that can pass protect well.
Old 03-13-2014   #269
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
What's the point in signing free agents if you aren't going to compete this year? The only people we have any business signing are offensive players to help protect our new QB. Get a RT for cheap once the first wave of free agents has passed, then look at a blocking TE for cheap, and a backup RB that can pass protect well.
They have to fill out the roster and it isn't going to all be through the draft. But I agree generally which is why I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals. Spikes is another one. I expect them to look at some of the non sexy but still upgrades at RT as well.
Old 03-13-2014   #270
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They have to fill out the roster and it isn't going to all be through the draft. But I agree generally which is why I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals. Spikes is another one.
You think Steve Smith and Brandon Browner will be cheap for us? I don't. I could see either of them taking a bit less money to be on a team like NE, Denver or SF because they want to be on a contender. But if they are coming to Houston, they are coming because we bid the highest. We might be able to snag some "prove-it" 1 year guys, but they won't be much of a factor given our outlook.
Old 03-13-2014   #271
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
You think Steve Smith and Brandon Browner will be cheap for us? I don't. I could see either of them taking a bit less money to be on a team like NE, Denver or SF because they want to be on a contender. But if they are coming to Houston, they are coming because we bid the highest. We might be able to snag some "prove-it" 1 year guys, but they won't be much of a factor given our outlook.
I said nothing to indicate cheaper for us. I don't think either one is going to get an expensive contract from anyone. Steve Smith is about to be 35 and is going to get his 1st non #1 contract. Browner is 29 and coming off an eight game suspension. His market value will be well below his talent level. Spikes is a two down LB which isn't a problem for us if Cushing is healthy and is coming off attitude problem reports. He falls in the prove it category and would be a large upgrade for us.
Old 03-13-2014   #272
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if you could get Browner on a 3 yr 10-12 mil type deal?
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #273
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I wonder if you could get Browner on a 3 yr 10-12 mil type deal?
I'm thinking even cheaper than that. 3 year, $6-8 mil. If he wants, 2 years $5 mil (2 & 3).
Old 03-13-2014   #274
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
I said nothing to indicate cheaper for us. I don't think either one is going to get an expensive contract from anyone. Steve Smith is about to be 35 and is going to get his 1st non #1 contract. Browner is 29 and coming off an eight game suspension. His market value will be well below his talent level. Spikes is a two down LB which isn't a problem for us if Cushing is healthy and is coming off attitude problem reports. He falls in the prove it category and would be a large upgrade for us.
You said "I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals." I'm saying I don't think SS or BB will be cheap for the Texans. We don't have much money to play with right now, and I doubt Steve Smith will come here unless we are the highest bidder. I think Smith will get an offer of about 5m APY for a couple years from a contender. I don't think he would choose the Texans unless we make a much higher offer in the 7m+ range.

Browner might come here if the Texans are interested, but I highly doubt that he passes McNair's character test. New regime though, so who knows. I'd like to have him for sure.

Spikes is definitely an option because he's in our price range. He will probably get some offers for 1.5 - 2m APY, and that's the kind of money we can spend.
Old 03-13-2014   #275
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

There's obviously two different camps in this thread.

1) Those that think we can still compete for the SB next season, so we need to be signing starters in FA... instead of losing them.

2) We're not going anywhere next season, so focus on developing young guys... and make sure we have the cap space to lock up Watt for a long time.

Depending on which camp you sit, you're either pissed or ok with how FA has gone thus far.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #276
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I think it depends on what kind of window you're looking at. Signing Demarcus Ware for 3 years doesn't make sense for us, because most believe we won't be a Super Bowl contender for 3 or 4 years.

But if they can get a starting RT for $5M/yr for the next 4 or 5 years.... why not? Or even a smart ILB to play next to Cushing & provide a viable option if Cushing isn't who we need him to be.

I appear to be in the minority. My goal is to be the next 2-14 team to go 11-5. Our schedule favors it, not just the SOS, but the pedigree of the teams we'll be facing.

I know we've got holes all over the team & the biggest question mark at QB. But we're two years removed from scoring 26 ppg & last year we were still in the top 7 for yards gained. I believe we've got 3/5ths of our OL figured out, put some big bodies up there that can play & we've got a good shot at 30ppg.

Not easy to do, but I think we can make a good run at it & get into the play offs.
Old 03-13-2014   #277
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 25s

Garrett Graham agrees to deal Texans.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #278
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They have to fill out the roster and it isn't going to all be through the draft. But I agree generally which is why I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals. Spikes is another one. I expect them to look at some of the non sexy but still upgrades at RT as well.
I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but, once Cassel resigned with the Vikings, RT should have gone to the top of our list of veteran FA's to sign. We should've been looking to sign one of the best young players available for that position, even if it cost the lions share of our FA cap money. There were several very good RT's available this year. Do we really won't to protect our franchise QB (once we find him) with a 2nd tier RT? Maybe I'm a simple minded man, but that seems to me to be the most obvious answer. Or, since he hasn't been waived, have the new coaches found the flaw in Newton's game & feel they can fix it? I just don't understand the front offices thinking.

Maybe I should just go & not come back until preseason.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #279
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
You said "I am suggesting guys who can be had cheap and on short term deals." I'm saying I don't think SS or BB will be cheap for the Texans. We don't have much money to play with right now, and I doubt Steve Smith will come here unless we are the highest bidder. I think Smith will get an offer of about 5m APY for a couple years from a contender. I don't think he would choose the Texans unless we make a much higher offer in the 7m+ range.
I think your numbers are too high. He is coming off a contract as #1 which averaged $7.5 mil per year. He was due $4 mil this year and was cut...and is still going to receive $3 mil from them no matter what contract he signs. They are paying $3 mil cash and $2 mil in additional cap hit to get rid of him. I think there are only a couple teams like Seattle who just lost Tate who he will offer any significant discount to (maybe NE if they have any cap left after Revis). Other than that it is all highest bidder. I think his highest bidder market is around $4 mil. 32 year old Wes Welker signed for $6 mil/yr.

Quote:
Browner might come here if the Texans are interested, but I highly doubt that he passes McNair's character test. New regime though, so who knows. I'd like to have him for sure.
I have always believed the "Texan's worthy" stuff was more fan mythology rather than reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but, once Cassel resigned with the Vikings, RT should have gone to the top of our list of veteran FA's to sign. We should've been looking to sign one of the best young players available for that position, even if it cost the lions share of our FA cap money. There were several very good RT's available this year. Do we really won't to protect our franchise QB (once we find him) with a 2nd tier RT?
It isn't good policy to force priority of needs without consideration for what is available. I mentioned RT as something to look for in free agency. That doesn't mean willy nilly fling money. We can live with a 7 rated guy for $3 mil/yr if the 8 rated guy wants $8 mil/yr. Either one is a huge upgrade on a 1 rated guy.
Old 03-13-2014   #280
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
I have seen how it unfolds the past 8 years. 2 playoff appearances. That's it. That is poor to mediocre track record at best. I was thinking like y'all are here last offseason. I am not fooling myself again with this franchise.
I prefer to think that the one year where the clock struck midnight on Schaub and turned the whole season into a pumpkin is the outlier.

Capers/Casserly regime took this team from expansion to almost .500 in four years before their 2-14 season.

Smith/Kubiak regime takes this team back to .500 and on to division winner with playoff appearances before their 2-14 season.

In both cases, there was clear solid progression followed by one horrible season dictated in large part by awful QB play.

What exactly about the Smith/OB regime makes you think they won't get this team back to a division winner and on to a SB contender?
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read