Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2014   #2701
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Manziel has a killer pro day. Bridgewater has underwhelmed me and bortles is just okay.
Old 03-23-2014   #2702
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Lance Zierlein is doing a Top 3 QB in depth analysis series...

Johnny Manziel piece here for discussion: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...44#post2316744

and here: http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...johnny-manziel
Old 03-23-2014   #2703
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Lance Zierlein is doing a Top 3 QB in depth analysis series...

Johnny Manziel piece here for discussion: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...44#post2316744

and here: http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...johnny-manziel
good quote from article

When Manziel threw from the pocket, he complete 73.6% of his passes for 3,429 yards, 9.95 ypa and 27 TDs. Can Manziel scramble and hurt you with his feet? Absolutely, but to assume that his passing game primarily revolved around scrambling and making passing outside the pocket would be a mistake.

Exactly!!! Hate when people act as if he's just a runner and doesn't have conventional QB skills.
Old 03-23-2014   #2704
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 17795 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

damnit to hell, if Manziel were 3-4 inches taller it would have put this QB controversy to rest.
Old 03-23-2014   #2705
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN's Merrill Hodge says Manziel has "Bust" written all over him

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Hoge is a tool who has a propensity for making stupid statements.

But he is right about Manziel's pocket awareness. The kid consistently bails for no reason. Regardless of his arm talent he is still a run first QB. That's his mentality.
I don't think that's quite fair or truthful.

What I see is a guy who goes thru the first two reads and then looks to get gone. If those first two reads aren't there .... he's getting out of the pocket.

That isn't all bad because he does have great downfield vision on the run and when he breaks the pocket it puts pressure on the defense , someone who is in coverage is going to have to step up or he has the ability to make them pay.

He hasn't gotten to the point where he's routinely making 3-4 reads and looking for a check down .... but with his vision , I don't see why he cant take that next step. I really believe with the right coach this cat can be one of the games best.

Right now I'm "leaning" Manziel over Bortles & Bridgewater (In that order). I really want to see what he does at his pro day. The other two definitely didn't help themselves there.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Old 03-23-2014   #2706
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He hasn't gotten to the point where he's routinely making 3-4 reads and looking for a check down .... but with his vision , I don't see why he cant take that next step. I really believe with the right coach this cat can be one of the games best.
I try not to "blame" these kids for the offenses they're put in. It's not like the coaches bring their QBs in & say, "I think you're smart enough to run a full pro-style offense, we're going to run the Erhardt-Perkins offense." Or, I like your instincts & quick reaction, we're going to run Bill Walsh's WCO."

Spread coaches are going to run the spread, & it bears no meaning to the capabilities of the player.

There may very well not have been a third read. Still, over 70% of his big plays were made from the pocket, within the confines of the system. Tells me he's coachable, & that stuff he does outside the pocket... you couldn't teach that if you tried. It's natural to him. Like breathing.
Old 03-23-2014   #2707
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ACCURACY (INCLUDING ON THE MOVE)

I’ve heard questions about whether or not Manziel can beat a team from the pocket and to do that, he has to prove that he is accurate. Was he accurate from the pocket in college? Yes. Yes he was.

When Manziel threw from the pocket, he complete 73.6% of his passes for 3,429 yards, 9.95 ypa and 27 TDs. Can Manziel scramble and hurt you with his feet? Absolutely, but to assume that his passing game primarily revolved around scrambling and making passing outside the pocket would be a mistake.

NFL QBs must be accurate on the short to intermediate throws, and Manziel was just that. I went back and researched his throws from 6 - 15 yards and Manziel completed 65.7% of those passes including 66% on his intermediate sideline throws. The one area of concern, however, was that Manziel had 7 INTs on his 111 throws from this range.

MAKES NFL THROWS

This is one of the areas that some evaluators believe Manziel could struggle with on the next level. It isn’t necessarily the arm strength that is the knock here, it is the feel and the anticipation that tends to get him knocked. I’ve seen some of the anticipation issues with my own eyes as Manziel has waited for a window to come open rather than throwing to a spot. Is this coachable? It can be.

I also believe that many NFL offensive coaches are much more flexible than in the past and understand how to tailor offenses around what a QB does well rather than asking them to fit into “the norm” as we’ve seen in the past.

Of Manziel’s 37 TD passes this year, only 10 came from behind the line of scrimmage to five yards down the field - the classic dump and dash that we see in college. According to the STATS Ice data, Manziel had 27 TDs passes beyond 6 yards including 12 that were for 16+ yards.
More at the link.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...johnny-manziel
Old 03-24-2014   #2708
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191099 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I try not to "blame" these kids for the offenses they're put in. It's not like the coaches bring their QBs in & say, "I think you're smart enough to run a full pro-style offense, we're going to run the Erhardt-Perkins offense." Or, I like your instincts & quick reaction, we're going to run Bill Walsh's WCO."

Spread coaches are going to run the spread, & it bears no meaning to the capabilities of the player.

There may very well not have been a third read. Still, over 70% of his big plays were made from the pocket, within the confines of the system. Tells me he's coachable, & that stuff he does outside the pocket... you couldn't teach that if you tried. It's natural to him. Like breathing.
You make a good point , we really don't know what Manziel is asked to do as far as reads in that offense. Keenum was very good in it @ UH but really seems to struggle past a second read , but like Manziel has good vision once he breaks the pocket.

Really makes you think about his transition to the NFL ....

Old 03-24-2014   #2709
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Manziel posts video showing off slam-dunking skills
Quote:
Just three days before he will perform for NFL coaches and scouts at his pro-day workout, Johnny Manziel posted an Instagram video of himself dunking basketballs...

http://instagram.com/jmanziel2

Brandt: Johnny Manziel will surprise teams at his pro day
Quote:
I think Manziel came to Texas A&M as a running-type QB, but quickly became a very good passer. I've said many times that he reminds me of Hall of Famer Fran Tarkenton when he played in the NFL, only I think Manziel has better athletic ability.

I will be at Manziel's workout Thursday and feel that people will be surprised at how well he passes that day, both in terms of accuracy and also when they see his arm strength.

Manziel is going to be an outstanding NFL player for many years, for three reasons: He's one of the great competitors of all time out of college; he's an exceptional athlete; and he has the ability to bring your team from behind and win games when you're hopelessly out, like he did against Duke in this year's Chick-fil-A Bowl.

This guy is something special, and I'm excited to watch him in person Thursday.

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-24-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2014   #2710
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 03-24-2014   #2711
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder if Brandt even knows that is not a regulation goal?
Old 03-24-2014   #2712
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB
Quote:
Browns GM Ray Farmer passing on attending Johnny Manziel's pro day. http://on.nfl.com/1kYlc37
Browns taking Manziel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Wonder if Brandt even knows that is not a regulation goal?
Ha! Fooled me... didn't even think of that.
Old 03-24-2014   #2713
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Don't know if you looked at the video but he throws down a 360 (almost) dunk .... as well as a couple others.

Old 03-24-2014   #2714
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Don't know if you looked at the video but he throws down a 360 (almost) dunk .... as well as a couple others.
He looks pissed off that he didn't dunk that. Maybe he can dunk.
Old 03-24-2014   #2715
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
He looks pissed off that he didn't dunk that. Maybe he can dunk.
Go watch the video on his instagram posted above .... he throws down some nice dunks.

Old 03-24-2014   #2716
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 222777 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Go watch the video on his instagram posted above .... he throws down some nice dunks.
I'd be more willing to buy that was a regulation goal if wasn't one of those adjustable jobs.
Old 03-25-2014   #2717
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That goal is not set at 10 ft. Looks like about 9ft.

If he could do 360's and dunk like that on a 10ft goal there is 0 chance he goes for that rinky dink lay up and miss it in front if a big crowd like that. It's manziel. He would've thrown one down for the fans.
Old 03-25-2014   #2718
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
That goal is not set at 10 ft. Looks like about 9ft.

If he could do 360's and dunk like that on a 10ft goal there is 0 chance he goes for that rinky dink lay up and miss it in front if a big crowd like that. It's manziel. He would've thrown one down for the fans.
Who cares , he's not gonna get paid to dunk basketballs.

Old 03-25-2014   #2719
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who cares , he's not gonna get paid to dunk basketballs.
You're the one that kept posting about his dunking skills.

Who cares? You do.
Old 03-25-2014   #2720
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
Manziel workout Thur starts at 11a. He'll have WRs Travis Labhart, Derel Walker & Mike Evans + RB Ben Malena w him. O/U for NFL folks: 125
Quote:
"If you watch some of his games, obviously, he's a very exciting when he breaks the pocket and he runs,'' O'Brien said. "But if you watch the Ole Miss game, he might have hurt his ankle early on and he came back. And he threw from the pocket in that game. If you watch him, he's going to be able to do a lot of different things.

"So, yeah, I think he's sustainable.''
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-pick/6866199/

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-25-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read