Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2014   #821
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Who needs a guy like Mallett more? The team with Tom Brady or the team with Matt Schaub and Case Keenum?
psshh... hadn't you heard? Josh McCown is coming for a visit & you forgot, we got Yates...... The Patriots can keep their lousy back up.
Old 03-12-2014   #822
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

day 2 of F/a and Matty is still a Texan

so imam say MATT SCHAUB again MUHAHAHAHAH
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #823
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
There's so much draft smoke going on, you can't see a foot in front of you. The Texans will trade for Mallett. No they won't. The Texans like Bridgewater. I mean Bortles. I mean Clowney. Who the h-e-l-l knows? It's possible the Texans could trade out of 1-1 and still get a QB. It's too smoky to know anything for sure right now.

I still like Bridgewater the best. But I also like Manziel and Bortles. And Mallett makes sense. Whatever they decide to do, I like the Texans chances of coming out of this process with a QB for the future.
If you're guessing and the other teams are guessing, then Rick and the other FO folk are doing their job right.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #824
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who needs a guy like Mallett more? The team with Tom Brady or the team with Matt Schaub and Case Keenum?

We have more to gain from acquiring him than they stand to lose from letting him walk, which they know. Plus they likely get a comp pick if he leaves as a FA next year, because on the open market he will get a pretty decent deal, whether he deserves it or not. So yes, they have the leverage. And any trade would likely cost us at least our #33.
Thanks for the response. I forgot about the comp pick, but I'm not sure it would be much without playing time or salary. It's still bluster to say NE has all the leverage though. No one gets more than a one year wonder from NE.

By the numbers (which have been thoroughly discredited, but not replaced with a better substitute despite failed attempts).

2011 #74 220 points
2014 #33 580 points

Now deduct for a one year vs four year stint and very little playing time in three years. I just don't see the value.

2014 #65 (265 points) which is essentially a 2nd round pick in many other years should be more than enough. Otherwise, I'd pass.
Old 03-12-2014   #825
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
By the numbers (which have been thoroughly discredited, but not replaced with a better substitute despite failed attempts).

2011 #74 220 points
2014 #33 580 points

Now deduct for a one year vs four year stint and very little playing time in three years. I just don't see the value.

2014 #65 (265 points) which is essentially a 2nd round pick in many other years should be more than enough. Otherwise, I'd pass.
If we do it, then it's because OB thinks Mallet can be a starting QB in this league. That's the value. We don't do this trade at all if OB doesn't think he's a starter.
Old 03-12-2014   #826
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we do it, then it's because OB thinks Mallet can be a starting QB in this league. That's the value. We don't do this trade at all if OB doesn't think he's a starter.
He'd better be more than JUST a starter. Who really wants the 32nd best starter in the league?
Old 03-12-2014   #827
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The chart (a) was always a guideline and (b) has been questioned but hasn't been discredited one bit. In fact trades, including Griffin's, appear to be closely in line.

Quote:
2011 #74 220 points
What the chart is however is valuation for draft picks not players.
Old 03-12-2014   #828
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We have more to gain from acquiring him than they stand to lose from letting him walk, which they know. Plus they likely get a comp pick if he leaves as a FA next year, because on the open market he will get a pretty decent deal, whether he deserves it or not. So yes, they have the leverage. And any trade would likely cost us at least our #33.
At least #33? IŽd say NE would do that trade in a heartbeat. Mallet has potential - yes. And he has been sitting and learning behind Brady, yes. But there is a reason he fell to the 3d round. And unlike a draft pick, Mallet won`t be a cheap QB for long.

I am not against us trading for him - especially because Bob knows him. But I am against overpaying for him. I don`t think his marketvalue is that high, at least I haven`t seen any other team having any interest in getting him. We can still draft a QB with our first pick or the 33d. That QB will be cheap on the book for a couple of years and also have potential.

So IŽd say, give the #33 at most - even then IŽd like to get a 5th rounder back. And I am not so sure if our 3d rounder shouldn`t be able to do the trick as well. Mallet hasn`t had the ability to show anything so far...
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #829
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
But there is a reason he fell to the 3d round.
Off field drug/maturity issues which haven't recurred in 3 years.

Quote:
I don`t think his marketvalue is that high, at least I haven`t seen any other team having any interest in getting him.
There are reports the Patriots have turned down a couple previous 2nd round pick offers.
Old 03-12-2014   #830
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Rick offered to swap 2014 2nds and offered up a conditional 2015 3rd if that would get the deal done.

The thing is in my mind Mallett is worth a mid 2nd rder. Wonder if Rick could trade 3-1 and a 5th to move up to the mid 2nd and trade for Mallett. This trade is going to probably have to wait because of these kinds of scenarios. A trade down to pick up a mid 2nd and a 4th to get Mallett is also a possibility. However all of this will go down on the night between day 1 and day 2 of the draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #831
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I wonder if Rick offered to swap 2014 2nds and offered up a conditional 2015 3rd if that would get the deal done.

The thing is in my mind Mallett is worth a mid 2nd rder. Wonder if Rick could trade 3-1 and a 5th to move up to the mid 2nd and trade for Mallett. This trade is going to probably have to wait because of these kinds of scenarios. A trade down to pick up a mid 2nd and a 4th to get Mallett is also a possibility. However all of this will go down on the night between day 1 and day 2 of the draft.
There is a report something along the lines of the Pats saying 2.1 and us saying 3.1 + something was the current stage.

I see no reason to connect this to draft day trades. I don't think many GMs would risk losing a trade for a QB they wanted waiting on making a 1.1 trade happen. That sounds pure fan to me. I certainly hope Smith is haggling for the best deal he can get but getting caught up in 2.1 v. 2.15 for a guy you hope will lead your team for the next decade would be foolishness IMO. That's a general comment, not a Mallett comment.
Old 03-12-2014   #832
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mark "the sanchize" Sanchez
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #833
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, it's looking like a very strong possibility Schaub will remain a Texan this year.

With a horrible FA crop and a draft without a QB that can step in right away it's hard to determine what other route there is to take

I haven't much of a desire to see Schaub back, but our options don't look very appealing
Old 03-12-2014   #834
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Honestly, it's looking like a very strong possibility Schaub will remain a Texan this year.

With a horrible FA crop and a draft without a QB that can step in right away it's hard to determine what other route there is to take

I haven't much of a desire to see Schaub back, but our options don't look very appealing
What's the point of keeping Schaub? What can he do that Case, Tj, & some rookie can't do? Win football games?

How many games do you think we're going to win with Matt Schaub?

Is that worth paying the man another $10M??
Old 03-12-2014   #835
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 20662 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's the point of keeping Schaub? What can he do that Case, Tj, & some rookie can't do? Win football games?

He could help us get another 1st pick next season.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #836
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm having issues with our 2014 quarterback. i dont like the free agent options. i dont like the draft options - at least within the first couple of rounds. i dont like the trade options.

i'm cautiously optimistic about seeing if keenum can be our guy, but that's not a great option either.

so ... i dont like our options this year and am agreement with (steelb?) that next year is the time to strike. i'd go into this year basically "as is". i'd see if keenum or yates has something that o'brien likes, and draft a middle/late round project as well as a UDFA since this year's class is untalented but exceptionally deep. maybe we'll hit gold, but we probably wont. instead i'd flesh out our options and establish the direction of o'brien's team - and attack the missing piece (qb) next year when we have a more definitive view of what we want and a better pool to choose from.
Old 03-12-2014   #837
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:

Why do you care about the $10 mil? It ain't your money and only $3.625 is the impact on the cap which is all that should matter to fans.
Old 03-12-2014   #838
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First off, I don't have much faith in any of our QBs, much less a rookie. So we're kinda screwed either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why do you care about the $10 mil? It ain't your money and only $3.625 is the impact on the cap which is all that should matter to fans.
Which would be spent on his replacement, and then some
Old 03-12-2014   #839
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He said he's starting to believe more & more that Schaub will be here iin 2014. I'm just trying to help him think it through. Bob, Bill, & Rick are going to have to decide what they are going to get from Matt Schaub in return for $10M of new money, & if it's worth it.

So I asked the question.... what can Schaub do that Tj & Case cannot.

I can't think of anything other than wins so I jumped there with the second question. If you can think of another reason to give Schaub $10M, by all means do so.

Then the final question.... is it worth it to them?
Old 03-12-2014   #840
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
So I asked the question.... what can Schaub do that Tj & Case cannot.

I can't think of anything other than wins so I jumped there with the second question. If you can think of another reason to give Schaub $10M, by all means do so.
He can mentor a hell of a lot better than either of them. That is something McNair mentioned when talking QBs - that they wanted a vet even if they drafted a QB 1.1.

Look, I don't want them to keep Schaub but it isn't unreasonable from the Texans' perspective (other than fan considerations).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read