Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-15-2014   #21
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166327 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Strength of Schedule: The Texans will.........

"You are what your record says you are."
- Bill Parcells
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I didn't want to derail bah007's excellent MockDraft thread with silly talk about expectations of the 2014 Texans. But there were a couple of posts in that thread that were pretty much:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Bingo. Nobody else wants to say this out loud but I'm with you. This isn't a playoff team next year, in my estimation. Use our high draft picks in a loaded draft to build a long term foundation instead of trying to make this a quick fix with only a short term plan.
Which brings us back to strength of schedule.

I don't believe we are a "play-off" team. However, I do believe we have a chance to make the play-offs. Strength of schedule aside, the teams we're going to be facing have been pretty bad in recent years. We don't need a team full of All-Pros to beat them.
Home
  • Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Buffalo, Philly, Washington
Away
  • Jacksonville, Tennessee, Cleveland, Oakland, Dallas, New York

That's 12 winnable games... yeah, they're going to try to get better this off-season, so are we. We don't have to be better than the Patriots in 2014, just better than these 12.

On top of that, if Baltimore & Pittsburgh continue their slide, that makes 14 winnable games.

& I know it's foolish for me to think we can beat the mighty Colts with the future HOF QB Andrew Luck under center.... but those should be winnable as well.

Seven of the eight 1st/2nd round picks & high dollar FAs were on this team when they were the #2 defense in the league.

I know we don't know who our starting QB is going to be & that's a big piece of the puzzle of whether or not we're going to be able to win 9 of the 12 games in the "historically sorry" list. So I'm not saying we're going to win 12 games or anything like that.

I'm just saying the task before us is not as insurmountable as you'd think for a 2-14 football team. We may not be a play-off team in 2014, but we still have a chance to make the play-offs.
Old 03-11-2014   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

At this point, after the season we had and with the questions about who is going to be on and off our team and what our offense and defense is going to look like, I don't believe any game looks like a winnable game.

Not even the ones against the Jaguars.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #24
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Talking about SOS in March is pointless.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
At this point, after the season we had and with the questions about who is going to be on and off our team and what our offense and defense is going to look like, I don't believe any game looks like a winnable game.

If you're one of the guys who did not want O'Brien, or can't understand why Rick Smith is still here, or both... I understand.

imo, we'll know at the end of the season if we're on the right track or not. If we've got a losing record against the teams on our schedule, we picked the wrong dudes.

Bad teams help the other team win... if we're helping these bad teams win, we've got the wrong coach, front-office, & owner.
Old 03-11-2014   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you're one of the guys who did not want O'Brien, or can't understand why Rick Smith is still here, or both... I understand.

imo, we'll know at the end of the season if we're on the right track or not. If we've got a losing record against the teams on our schedule, we picked the wrong dudes.

Bad teams help the other team win... if we're helping these bad teams win, we've got the wrong coach, front-office, & owner.
I wanted O'Brien and I'm not a Rick Smith hater.

I'm just saying that at this point, I'm not ready to declare any game winnable. I don't even know who are on any of these teams, yet.
Old 03-11-2014   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wanted O'Brien and I'm not a Rick Smith hater.

I'm just saying that at this point, I'm not ready to declare any game winnable. I don't even know who are on any of these teams, yet.
They are all winnable every year. Too early to count them as probable wins.
Old 03-11-2014   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They are all winnable every year. Too early to count them as probable wins.
After last year, I'm starting at 0 and working my way up instead of starting at 16 and working my way down.

Old 03-11-2014   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
After last year, I'm starting at 0 and working my way up instead of starting at 16 and working my way down.

After watching the 2002 Texans handily beat the 10-5-1 Steelers with 47 yds of offense...they're all winnable.

Even last year the Texans were not getting their butts beat from start to finish. They were a short curly hair away from beating the SB champions.
Old 03-11-2014   #30
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this team is in a good position. I think we have more talent top to bottom than the Colts. I think what we need is for guys to be healthy.

We just need a QB and some good coaching. I think if we get that (IF) we'll be in contention for the play-offs and beyond next year easily.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #31
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 110127 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Seconded. Sure, they're all winnable, I agree with that too. But when I look at what the Texans are right here, right now, I'm good to A) snap a 14-game losing streak and A) get a winning streak going .....etc...etc. I begin with zero and go from there.
Old 03-11-2014   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Seconded. Sure, they're all winnable, I agree with that too. But when I look at what the Texans are right here, right now, I'm good to A) snap a 14-game losing streak and A) get a winning streak going .....etc...etc. I begin with zero and go from there.
I think we're being too Texans "centric" here.

Buffalo... are we saying they are without holes? I have no idea who they're going to put on the field, but it's Buffalo.

Oakland...

Tennessee.... as bad as we were last year, we still managed to beat them once.

Jacksonville, they swept us... but without Gabbert... yeah, they're pretty scary.

But you get my point. We don't play New England. We don't play Denver. We don't play Green Bay.

I'm not saying we should pencil in 12 wins & I don't have a problem with starting at 0. I don't think for a second we're going to field a play off team in 2014... but considering the teams we're playing, I'm not taking a play off berth off the table.

Doesn't make us a play off team, just taking advantage of a situation.
Old 03-11-2014   #33
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

It means nothing you don't know how good or bad teams are going to be in March. If you don't know your record accounts for 2 or 3 games.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read