Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-11-2014   #41
msbbc833
Veteran

Rep Power: 577 msbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respectedmsbbc833 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 6th round Ryan Griffin TE Uconn

Saw Ryan Griffin working out at the 24 hr fitness in Rice Village about 3 weeks ago. Went up to him and asked "Are you Ryan Griffin?" and he said yes, and asked my name and shook my hand. He was surprised that someone recognized him. Very friendly though and real nic. I asked him if he was trying to be TE2 this year, and he said "I'm trying to be TE1!". Wish him the best.
msbbc833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #42
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Was a big fan of Griffin in college and was pleased that we drafted him. I think he's the #1 TE on this roster within the next year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #43
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

OD is gone so he definetly is the #2 right now.
TE just became a major need for us.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #44
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really think people are sleeping on Griffin. He's better than Graham. But I agree that we need to look for another TE somewhere with OD gone.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #45
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I really think people are sleeping on Griffin. He's better than Graham. But I agree that we need to look for another TE somewhere with OD gone.
I agree. I really like Griffin as well. I think we should sign a vet in FA and draft a TE in the mid-rounds.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #46
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Better blocker, I agree. Better pass catcher, not yet imo
Old 03-11-2014   #47
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I agree. I really like Griffin as well. I think we should sign a vet in FA and draft a TE in the mid-rounds.
Griffin/Vet min Blocker/A.C. Leonard or Lyerla in the 5th = upgrading the TE position.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
OD is gone so he definetly is the #2 right now.
TE just became a major need for us.
TEs currently on our roster:
  1. Ryan Griffin
  2. Phillip Supernaw
  3. Brad Smelley
  4. Zach Potter

It didn't even take him a year, He's already #1
Old 03-11-2014   #49
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
  1. Ryan Griffin
  2. Phillip Supernaw
  3. Brad Smelley
  4. Zach Potter

griffin and a top 3/4 TE rookie will give us a good TE group for the future, not as bad then on first glance
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #50
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
  1. Ryan Griffin
  2. Phillip Supernaw
  3. Brad Smelley
  4. Zach Potter

The Texans must feel good with Supernaw, in that he was reported to have signed a 3 year exclusive rights contract. Somewhat surprising since he had a foot stress fracture which by further reports shows no sign of being surgically paired. Another big man with a foot fracture. But this one not surgically attended to.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #51
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 69681 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Texans must feel good with Supernaw, in that he was reported to have signed a 3 year exclusive rights contract. Somewhat surprising since he had a foot stress fracture which by further reports shows no sign of being surgically paired. Another big man with a foot fracture. But this one not surgically attended to.
Unless there is an unusual problem, a stress fracture shouldn't need repair. Just time to heal. It must be common in big men since they place so much stress on their feet. My son had one and never missed a beat. He wore a boot for a couple of weeks and that was that. There was no long term consequence.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there any guaranteed money with a EFA? I think Supernaw has an uphill climb for a roster spot, especially if they draft a TE and re-sign Graham.
Old 03-11-2014   #53
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do Supernaw and Quessenberry's injuries lend to any theories on equipment problems?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #54
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Griffin/Vet min Blocker/A.C. Leonard or Lyerla in the 5th = upgrading the TE position.
Is his nose still bleeding? Don't sound like a McNair guy to me. Not denying his talent at all but Mr. Mc has his standards and hasn't really shown a propensity to deviate from them too far. Is that a sound philosophy? I can't make that call but I believe he's decided what his standards are and has stuck pretty closely to them. Is that the best way to win? You're on record as saying "No".

I've listened to the talking heads though that say we're a "Model Franchise".

Back to your stance though, does that make a winning franchise? Short term I'd agree with you: NO. Long term, different answer.

Guess we'll both find out who's perspective is the right one in the LONGER RUN.

Hang in there steelb. This team will make you proud to be a fan.

Sooner or later.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Is his nose still bleeding? Don't sound like a McNair guy to me. Not denying his talent at all but Mr. Mc has his standards and hasn't really shown a propensity to deviate from them too far. Is that a sound philosophy? I can't make that call but I believe he's decided what his standards are and has stuck pretty closely to them. Is that the best way to win? You're on record as saying "No".

I've listened to the talking heads though that say we're a "Model Franchise".

Back to your stance though, does that make a winning franchise? Short term I'd agree with you: NO. Long term, different answer.

Guess we'll both find out who's perspective is the right one in the LONGER RUN.

Hang in there steelb. This team will make you proud to be a fan.

Sooner or later.
Mr. Mc has shown a propensity to make $$$$. He hasn't shown a propensity for having a clue as how to build a winner. Hopefully BOB can change some of Mr.Mc's philosophies on how to build a winner over the next 8 yrs (Atleast) that Mr.Mc will give BOB to try to turn this franchise into a winning franchise.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014   #56
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Is there any guaranteed money with a EFA? I think Supernaw has an uphill climb for a roster spot, especially if they draft a TE and re-sign Graham.
My understanding EFA is that they don't get signing bonus or anything that will count against the cap, but teams will give a few thousand either in an 'advance' or 'moving/living' bonus' for dudes to make through the off-season workouts and such. Same with the "futures" contract guys.

This is a I heard thing, versus I know thing, so I am open to being corrected and proven really wrong.
Old 03-12-2014   #57
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
According to Rotoworld:

12/27/2013: Signed a three-year, $1.335 million contract. 2014: $420,000, 2015: $510,000, 2016: Exclusive Rights Free Agent.

He has no signing bonuses. So it doesn't appear that anything is guaranteed. From Sportrac

Year........Base.....S. Bonus.......Misc......... Cap Hit..... Dead.....Guaranteed
2014........420,000-----0-----------0---------420,000------0------------0
2015........510,000-----0-----------0---------510,000------0------------0
2016........RFA
Old 03-12-2014   #58
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Unless there is an unusual problem, a stress fracture shouldn't need repair. Just time to heal. It must be common in big men since they place so much stress on their feet. My son had one and never missed a beat. He wore a boot for a couple of weeks and that was that. There was no long term consequence.
Stress fractures of nonweight-bearing bones such as the fibula are commonly treated nonsurgically. Stress fractures of the foot can and are many times treated conservatively........if you an accountant. Stress fractures of the foot in athletes.......especially BIG athletes are virtually always treated surgically to avoid the high complication/non healing/recurrence/progression to future overt fracture rate.
Old 03-12-2014   #59
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Do Supernaw and Quessenberry's injuries lend to any theories on equipment problems?
I brought that subject up last year, in light of all the ankle/foot/toe/lower leg(including calf strains) injuries. Somewhat suspect.
Old 03-12-2014   #60
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think Graham is coming back.

They signed that big TE, Still have Griffen...Cut OD...

I think they are going to draft another TE in this draft...
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read