Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-13-2014   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 387845 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our New Schemes on Both Sides of the Ball Will Promote Adaptability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

False advertising I tells ya!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #22
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I believe that when assessing the 2 QBs' performances last season, many here tend to somehow overlook the fact that in the 1st 6 games that Schaub played to so poorly in, Foster (along with Tate) afforded him a GREAT RUNNING GAME. By the time Keenum was allowed to start, not only did he play with a shoddy OL with virtually no pass protection and pathetic D to go with it.........but Foster had "left the building" for good (and Tate was tattered)........and there was absolutely NOTHING LEFT OF THE RUNNING GAME.
That's a good point. I usually don't bother to say it, but it's true.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #23
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't believe they are ditching the rollover draw .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #24
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 65244 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
You seem to be more concerned that we have members of the team who can't control themselves than in getting better as a team. I wonder why? Do you subscribe to the theory that every team needs bad guys to win?
You got that judgement from one post? Nope, just offering a counterpoint and why limit scope of a search to choir boys? I'm sure everyone in the world has some degree of fault.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #25
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 95414 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
You got that judgement from one post? Nope, just offering a counterpoint and why limit scope of a search to choir boys? I'm sure everyone in the world has some degree of fault.
I'm more concerned with the reaction to the events. If they try to justify it or dismiss it, then I am more concerned. If they seem ashamed, then there's hope and I would be willing to take a little risk.

But an in your face goon is not someone I would want.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #26
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I was saying this all along, Kubiak took away what Keenum did great from him, he got in the boys head and told him to stay in the pocket. That was where Kubiak went wrong with Case, i;m sorry but if you throw 3 Long TDs to AJ in one game all outside the pocket then maybe, just maybe let the boy continue to do what he has been doing.
Old 02-16-2014   #27
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
I was saying this all along, Kubiak took away what Keenum did great from him, he got in the boys head and told him to stay in the pocket. That was where Kubiak went wrong with Case, i;m sorry but if you throw 3 Long TDs to AJ in one game all outside the pocket then maybe, just maybe let the boy continue to do what he has been doing.

Was watching the Super Bowl at a friend's house, and Russell Wilson made some spectacular play (can't remember which). One guy who was at the party, and is really knowledgable about football overall, got frustrated and said: "See there, Case was capable of things like that before Kubiak got his hands on him."

The guy seemed like a reasonable, rational person who knows about football, and not a fan boy at all.

I don't know much about Case, but, I agreed with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014   #28
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 16087 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Was watching the Super Bowl at a friend's house, and Russell Wilson made some spectacular play (can't remember which). One guy who was at the party, and is really knowledgable about football overall, got frustrated and said: "See there, Case was capable of things like that before Kubiak got his hands on him."

The guy seemed like a reasonable, rational person who knows about football, and not a fan boy at all.

I don't know much about Case, but, I agreed with him.

So, before Kubiak coached up Case (aka, when he was a starter at UH) he was capable of winning a SuperBowl. Start Case, Superbowl or bust.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #29
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Exactly.

In fact, you could have posted this in the "how did last season make you feel" thread.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #30
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
So, before Kubiak coached up Case (aka, when he was a starter at UH) he was capable of winning a SuperBowl. Start Case, Superbowl or bust.

Lol. Not sure where you got that from my comments. I was merely saying that a lot of people Case had potential until Kubiak started coaching him directly. I don't know either way, but, it wouldn't shock me if O'Brien keeps him around as aback-up.

houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #31
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
haha dont recall any of us saying that. But before kubiak coached him up he was throwing TDs instead of staying in the pocket taking 15 yard sacks like he did after Kubiak said in in the colts press conference game (you know the one he threw 3 TDs to AJ) that case needed to work on staying in the pocket. The kid listened to his coach.....
Old 02-19-2014   #32
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 8706 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
He didn't have much choice. Opponents learned to rush wide from both sides and keep him in the pocket. Then, thanks to a leaky OL, blitzes up the middle weren't picked up and there was no place to go except down.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #33
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegara View Post
He didn't have much choice. Opponents learned to rush wide from both sides and keep him in the pocket. Then, thanks to a leaky OL, blitzes up the middle weren't picked up and there was no place to go except down.
he had a choice, i can watch games now and tell u multiple times he should of left the pocket and had plenty of room to roam but he didnt. Early on he did, after kubiak stressed staying in the pocket he didnt. Pretty simple Kubiak is still trying to keep alive the old school pocket passer offense, the NFL is passed that. He was trying to turn Keenum into something he is not. Wrong thing to do !
Old 02-22-2014   #34
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 34200 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

In the Chronicle today was an interesting tid bit coming out of Indianapolis during OB's interview. The Texans will utilize TRAP blocking as well as zone blocking and power blocking. To effectively utilize trap blocking you need athletic, quick guards with nimble feet who can still hit with power when they get to their assignment. Quess should excel at this if kept at OG, having been used on trap plays from the OT position, in college. Brandon Brooks maybe not fit well in this blocking scheme.
Number19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #35
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
In the Chronicle today was an interesting tid bit coming out of Indianapolis during OB's interview. The Texans will utilize TRAP blocking as well as zone blocking and power blocking. To effectively utilize trap blocking you need athletic, quick guards with nimble feet who can still hit with power when they get to their assignment. Quess should excel at this if kept at OG, having been used on trap plays from the OT position, in college. Brandon Brooks maybe not fit well in this blocking scheme.
He's said that he doesn't want to be tied down to any particular scheme but rather, play all of them depending on the matchups.

But... except for when Gibbs was here, Kubiak also incorporated other blocking schemes in with the zone scheme. He had incorporated trap blocking into the zone.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I didn't see any direct reference to it in this thread, so I thought I'd put this here. If it's somewhere else (being that it was posted March 6) I apologize.

Pretty good stab at a look into the mind of Bill O'Brien, with some good videos to boot. A lot of the concepts appear to be similar to what we already do..... & he talks about playing fast, which I really like.

Quote:
Beyond O’Brien’s tendency to rely heavily on the cerebral capacity of his quarterbacks, he also has an affinity for personnel groupings that provide multiplicity and flexibility. The more things that the offense can do from one personnel package, the faster the pace they can run plays. If a player can do one role well, he might make the team; if he can do three roles well, he is a starter.
Quote:
"Whether it’s high school, college, or even the pros, you have to make sure that you have like five or six base concepts, and in those five or six base concepts you’ve got to be able to move people around. So you have to have different personnel groups in my opinion. So your backs, who are your best pass receiving backs? Who are your best pass receiving tight ends? Who are your quicker receivers?

But we’ve got to have about five or six concepts where the guys can move around within the concept and know what to do. Don’t worry about figuring out how we call routes, just know that we call a route at Penn State from the strength of the formation to the weak side of the formation."
Quote:
Bill O’Brien’s nigh unstoppable war machine in New England was a cold blooded killer that left team after team in its wake. When looking at an offensive arsenal in Houston that includes Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins, Arian Foster, Owen Daniels, Garrett Graham, DeVier Posey, and Ryan Griffin, it is not hard to get excited about the potentially astronomical numbers that could be put up this coming season. All Bill O’Brien needs to burn the AFC to the ground is a quarterback that is accurate, tough, is obsessed with football , and was taught how to read a defense before he ever cracked open his offensive play book.
Old 03-10-2014   #37
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I didn't see any direct reference to it in this thread, so I thought I'd put this here. If it's somewhere else (being that it was posted March 6) I apologize.

Pretty good stab at a look into the mind of Bill O'Brien, with some good videos to boot. A lot of the concepts appear to be similar to what we already do..... & he talks about playing fast, which I really like.

If a player can do one role well, he might make the team; if he can do three roles well, he is a starter.

Every time I read a description of the kind of player OB likes, I feel like James Casey will end up returning to the team.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Every time I read a description of the kind of player OB likes, I feel like James Casey will end up returning to the team.
I really don't know why Kubiak was so restrictive on how he used Casey. I thought when he put him in at FB it was really going to help us out. If the defenses played him like a FB (putting a LB on the field) we swing him out, to the slot, or out wide, you get a big body out of the box where we can still run or pass... if they play him like a receiver (an extra DB) we run the ball with him either at FB, TE, or split wide....

Kinda makes me think Casey, Tate, & Brandon Harris were all Rick Smith picks & not Kubiak picks.
Old 03-10-2014   #39
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I really don't know why Kubiak was so restrictive on how he used Casey. I thought when he put him in at FB it was really going to help us out. If the defenses played him like a FB (putting a LB on the field) we swing him out, to the slot, or out wide, you get a big body out of the box where we can still run or pass... if they play him like a receiver (an extra DB) we run the ball with him either at FB, TE, or split wide....

Kinda makes me think Casey, Tate, & Brandon Harris were all Rick Smith picks & not Kubiak picks.
It's because Kubiak was not a good head coach and he was too stressed to do things like that.

You might see more things that make sense in Baltimore offense now that his responsibilities have been narrowed.

Now he won't be as stressed having to worry about big and small picture problems.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #40
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9543 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

OB and his offense.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2014/3/...o-expects-from
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read