Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2014   #721
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

How about taking the draft discussion to the draft forum?
Old 03-09-2014   #722
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans need 2 OLB's, NTs, and corners...IMO these are the texans biggest needs defensively.

Our OLB's stink. Wasn't ever a fan of the Mercilus pick up, but I was willing to give him a chance. His book still isn't closed, but I would not be looking to trot him back out as a starter next season.

I'd like to see joe mays brought back. I think he could be a serviceable LB and STer. He misses tackles at times but overall he's a hard nosed player.

McCain needs to go. I'd like to see Harris get one year under crennel. I think our corners and safeties have good talent overall. I think the coaching overall became stagnant here and it made a lot of the guys look worse than what they are. Both sides of the ball.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #723
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
How about taking the draft discussion to the draft forum?
spoil sport
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #724
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
Texans need 2 OLB's, NTs, and corners...IMO these are the texans biggest needs defensively.

Our OLB's stink. Wasn't ever a fan of the Mercilus pick up, but I was willing to give him a chance. His book still isn't closed, but I would not be looking to trot him back out as a starter next season.

I'd like to see joe mays brought back. I think he could be a serviceable LB and STer. He misses tackles at times but overall he's a hard nosed player.

McCain needs to go. I'd like to see Harris get one year under crennel. I think our corners and safeties have good talent overall. I think the coaching overall became stagnant here and it made a lot of the guys look worse than what they are. Both sides of the ball.
Repped

I liked the Mercilus pick. I have a friend from Illinois that told me it was a great pick. Looks like your right.

Agrred McCain has to go. I would like to fill that position with a vet min FA and draft a guy in the 4th rd range. Anytime Shilo Keo is starting at FS I would have to disagree with you on the talent level in the secondary. Agreed about the coacing getting stagnant.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 03-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #725
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Clowney is not suited to be a 3-4 DE especially for Crennel.
Not what was being bandied about at the Combine: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...44#post2309844
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #726
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Not what was being bandied about at the Combine: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...44#post2309844
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of getting clowney?

You're going to have watt and clowney, the two most talented players on defense, playing two gap DE spots?

That doesn't pass the sense test.

If we trade for mallet or just take a qb later and pick clowney I'd hate to see he and jj watt as two gap DE's.
Old 03-09-2014   #727
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Seriously people. Draft talk in the draft forum.
Old 03-09-2014   #728
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Clowney should be our QB this season.
Old 03-09-2014   #729
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I appreciate your research.

Mallett is still better than any 1-1 QB in this draft at 2-1. 10-3 means he had to show some kind of leadership qualities. No offense to you, but if BOB wants Mallett he must have seen something in him that you don't. BOB's job is on the line. I trust his judgement regardless of which QB he selects. Maybe Mallett has matured and improved in these areas.

Maybe McNair is turned off by the way Mallett speaks and told BOB Mallett isn't Texans worthy. I knew McNair was going to find a way to get me to stop using the BoB moniker. LOL (Bill O'Brien)
I think Mallett is basically Bortles a few years down the road except that Bortles can win you a game in the fourth quarter and Mallett can't. I would take Bridgewater or Bortles at #1 before I would trade #33 for Mallett.

Outside of those two I agree. I don't think much of Mallett but I think he would be better than the rest of the QBs in this draft, regardless of what round you could get them in.

With that said, as soon as we fired Kubiak I said I wanted O'Brien to be our next coach. Never thought that would happen but it did. I think he will be an excellent coach and I will stand behind whatever decisions he makes until he proves that his judgment can't be trusted.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #730
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Mallet removed his location of Foxsboro MA off his twitter.

DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #731
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post

It's happening?
Old 03-09-2014   #732
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Probably going home for a few weeks.
Old 03-09-2014   #733
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114521 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Probably going home for a few weeks.
To Texarkana.....just a few hours drive from Houston!

[

DUN DUN DUN!
Old 03-09-2014   #734
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

I always said this was a possibility....

I think O'Brien would rather have someone that can run his system right now than wait for a rookie QB to learn it....

May cannot get here fast enough....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #735
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:

I'm twitter ignorant. Is that really Gronk asking if he got traded to Oakland because he was flying out to California?

Side note - just realized his nickname is Big Tex.
Old 03-09-2014   #736
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm twitter ignorant. Is that really Gronk asking if he got traded to Oakland because he was flying out to California?

Side note - just realized his nickname is Big Tex.
No, that's just some guy using the name. Look for the blue checkmark. It means certified
Old 03-09-2014   #737
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He flew out to California.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #738
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
That was on March 6th.

Now stop raining on my parade!
Old 03-09-2014   #739
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Oakland?
Old 03-10-2014   #740
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

Outside of those two I agree. I don't think much of Mallett but I think he would be better than the rest of the QBs in this draft, regardless of what round...

... and I will stand behind whatever decisions he [O'Brian] makes until he proves that his judgment can't be trusted.
I baffles me how this thread has turned into a suck off for a guy like Ryan Mallett who hasn't taken any meaningful NFL snaps, plus all of this trust in OB, when trust (at least to me) has to be earned and not just granted, especially after Kubiak.

I'm not knocking you; and I've heard some good points about Mallett, but that this has turned into a Mallett thread when there's dudes with much more upside like Kirk Cousins who can be had for a draft pick (who has seen PLENTY of NFL action, by the way) and Matt McGloin who can also be had for a lower draft pick, after playing pretty well behind a crapola Raiders team. I won't fail to mention that McGloin was also OB's boy at Penn State, where they game planned together as Head Coach and starting QB. I can't help but to think there's a synergy there, over anybody else at the moment.

Anyway, look at this from a very simplistic angle: Give a 2nd for Kirk Cousins who was holed away to get a future draft pick and has played some damn good NFL ball, or give a 2nd for Ryan Mallett, who was also holed away for a draft pick, but has done little more than pass Bill O'Brian in the chow line?

I realize that Mallett is not your guy, specifically - you've said it - but I'm just saying that there are more logical options which to use our draft picks.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read