Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2014   #641
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Tuitt is a promising draft choice. Just a little background. He had a Jones fracture diagnosed through screening scan tests performed at the Combine. If he opts to have it treated conservatively, there is a long recovery (as long as 4-5 months) with a 50% failure or recurrence rate. He will need to undergo surgery to minimize this from being the case (failure down to ~5-10%). Last year, following offseason "sports hernia" surgery, he ballooned his weight from his usual 300 lbs to 320+ lbs. He had hell trying to drop ~25 lbs for the Combine. Now if he undergoes successful surgery, an uncomplicated recovery would be ~8-10 weeks before he would see any return to the field, most likely as a blimp again. It's anyone's guess how long it will take him to get his weight down and then get his conditioning back up.
I've read he's already undergone the surgery, just before his pro day, and recovery was expected at 6-8 weeks. Hopefully just before the draft he might be able to test for teams. But I attribute this to why he would fall to us at 2-33.

Your post is the first to mention the 5-10% failure rate for the surgery, which would be a concern; and you have a longer range for the recovery, which would prevent him from maybe testing prior to the draft.

I am definitely being optimistic, here. But if Tuitt could fully recover from this injury, he would be a tremendous and unexpected talent at 2-33. I've read reports that the way teams began to "solve" Crennel's defense was to simply refuse to double the DE because the player didn't have the ability to - the word the writer used was "punish" - the offense for blocking one-on-one.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #642
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?! - [edit] Mallett?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-draft-clowney

Matt Miller substantiating the buzz now. Of course its still just a rumor, but pretending we make a deal for Mallet do you guys think they is a near lock for us to take Clowney at first overall?
I agree it appears this is probably the case. But there has been a few musings that Mack is a dark horse for the Texans at 1-1 and of course, the big boards now have Mack the second highest rated defensive player and overall at #3 (or tied at #3).

Mack's versatility is one of his assets. He can play with his hand down and can play both ILB and OLB. At Buffalo, he was their best player and they moved him all around to gain matchup advantages, just like we used JJ.

Plus, Mack is a model citizen and committed to football.
Old 03-09-2014   #643
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
One thing we know from Mallett's Arkansas days is most of his bad throws came when under heavy pressure. Although I would much prefer Clowney at 1.1 in this potential situation, taking care of our our line needs later, getting the #1 OT in the draft would make some sense towards building a wall around Mallett.
This is why I've got James penciled in at 4-97, although he may not be there. Unusual for a right tackle, James' strength is his pass blocking skills and his weakness is in his run blocking skills. His pass blocking skills grade out as first round talent, and some project him to left tackle for this reason, in which case he might could move up the boards into the third round. But he lacks training room strength as shown by his reps at the combine and this, during his collegiate career, transferred to his run blocking. I figure this is correctable with a few off-seasons in a professional weight room, but meanwhile he's an asset in pass protection.
Old 03-09-2014   #644
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Pats fans don't don't even think Mallet is worth pick #33 and don't expect that much. That's essentially a late 1st round pick so it would be borderline insane for the Texans to do that. I've seen some creative deals on their board though that make some sense. Swapping picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds....... or swapping picks in the 2nd and 4th rounds. Obviously I like the second scenario better, but I could get behind this since we get to theoretically keep all of our picks in this deep draft.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #645
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

if we do get mallet (whatever pick we give up 2nd or 3rd) we must trade down.
it would make this offseason as good as you can get.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #646
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9542 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Exactly, we trade down and if we get that same round pick as we would give for mallet, then that would mean we got Mallet for free. and we trade down to get Dee Ford or Anthony barr
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #647
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by honored82 View Post
Exactly, we trade down and if we get that same round pick as we would give for mallet, then that would mean we got Mallet for free. and we trade down to get Dee Ford or Anthony barr
You guys are saying we should trade down from 1-1, right?

The Pats specifically want that #33 pick for Mallet - which I think is too much for a guy with no stats. At least when we traded for Schaub he had shown some ability in real NFL starts. And he - Schaub - was clearly an upgrade over Carr. Can the same be said about Mallet; that he's clearly an upgrade over Keenum or Yates or even Schaub?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #648
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Just not getting where Mallett's play warrants the pick stinginess many are displaying. It especially makes no sense to me to say "well let's just get one of the the 3rd or later round QBs and let them develop." The guys falling to the 3rd and later this year are doing so because of their play to date. He has already done his bench sitting time to develop they would have to do. Mallett fell due to off field issues or he was a 1st round guy and there is nary a whisper of any problems since being drafted. His talent level is on par with the 3 QBs being considered at 1.1.

NFL.com draft prospect grades - Mallett 7.4, Bortles 6.4, Bridgewater 6.3, Manziel 5.9.

Link

If you can buy a $10k car for $5k you don't get hung up arguing $4k instead of $5k especially if the reason you are obsessing over $4k is because the current owner got it for $2k and you think he is looking for too much profit. It's classic penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 03-09-2014   #649
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

If OB likes Mallet as well as any QB in this Draft, eh's worth every penny of the 2.1 so to speak. andm it would free us up to make a trade with our 1.1 However it's difficult to see us trading our first round pick because there's no QB out there appealing enough to attract a suitor. However there's one scenario that could work: we could offer up our 1.1 say to a team with the 1.6 or 1.7 pick if they'd throw in an additional pick, but the exchange on the "Draft Value Chart" would look very unfavorable for the Texans. If we'd exchange our 1.1 with, for example, TB sitting at 7 for their first and second rounder, it would be
a 3000 point exchange for 'bout 2000 points. Personally I'd do it in a heartbeat given the tremendous depth of the Draft.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #650
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199937 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
I've read he's already undergone the surgery, just before his pro day, and recovery was expected at 6-8 weeks. Hopefully just before the draft he might be able to test for teams. But I attribute this to why he would fall to us at 2-33.

Your post is the first to mention the 5-10% failure rate for the surgery, which would be a concern; and you have a longer range for the recovery, which would prevent him from maybe testing prior to the draft.

I am definitely being optimistic, here. But if Tuitt could fully recover from this injury, he would be a tremendous and unexpected talent at 2-33. I've read reports that the way teams began to "solve" Crennel's defense was to simply refuse to double the DE because the player didn't have the ability to - the word the writer used was "punish" - the offense for blocking one-on-one.
Again, my main concern is not necessarily his acute recovery from the injury........it's his longer term ability to bring down his weight and regain his form.........certainly very questionable before the Draft.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #651
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He has already done his bench sitting time to develop they would have to do. Mallett fell due to off field issues or he was a 1st round guy and there is nary a whisper of any problems since being drafted. His talent level is on par with the 3 QBs being considered at 1.1.

NFL.com draft prospect grades - Mallett 7.4, Bortles 6.4, Bridgewater 6.3, Manziel 5.9.
That's true... it's not like he couldn't beat Brady Quin out for playing time.

I never saw that grade before... that's almost as high as Clowney 7.5 I can see passing a 7.5 DE to draft a 7.4 QB makes more sense than drafting a 6.3 QB instead.
Old 03-09-2014   #652
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

After tracking this Mallett stuff down, I can see Texans doing their due diligence gauging the market with Mallett before taking a run at Hoyer. I just don't see how Browns dump Hoyer in their situation.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
If Texans are going to try to trade for a QB, I think Browns Brian Hoyer would be the most likely target. Spent 3 years with Bill OBrien at NE.

I told you last week Texans wouldn't be signing Matt Cassel. And they won't be trading for Ryan Mallett, either.

Quote:

Link
Blaine Gabbert 8.4. No measurable for pocket presence.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #653
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll go ahead and stake this one out - I think trading a triscuit for Hoyer would be foolish. He's desperately trying to hang on in the league and we don't need to be his 5th team. He's not even lateral to Case Keenum.

I can only hope this is the Walrus' urge to stir the pot with dramatic statements and predictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Grades don't guarantee performance. That misses the point which was Mallett's on field value is higher than the QBs in this year's draft who folks want to get instead in the 3rd+ round in some sort of pick economizing measure.
Old 03-09-2014   #654
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't John McClain make a guarantee that the Texans would draft Reggie Bush back in 2006 ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #655
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
After tracking this Mallett stuff down, I can see Texans doing their due diligence gauging the market with Mallett before taking a run at Hoyer. I just don't see how Browns dump Hoyer in their situation.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Quote:
If Texans are going to try to trade for a QB, I think Browns Brian Hoyer would be the most likely target. Spent 3 years with Bill OBrien at NE.

I told you last week Texans wouldn't be signing Matt Cassel. And they won't be trading for Ryan Mallett, either.
"You" believe the Browns would trade up to draft Manziel, but don't believe they are ready to "dump" Hoyer for a high second?

Then you "believe" McClain.

Sorry Play0ffs, but you've gone off reservation on this one.

Quote:
You mean Blaine Gabbert graded higher, much higher than these three.... & people still want to take them with the 1st overall? 8.4... that would make these 6.4, 6.3, grades late 2nd round prospects at best.

Unless it's a really, really ****ty draft.
Old 03-09-2014   #656
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Didn't John McClain make a guarantee that the Texans would draft Reggie Bush back in 2006 ?
Over the past few years he has gotten increasingly melodramatic in his proclamations and doesn't even have a pretense of basing them on "unnamed sources" or "word from the inside" anymore.
Old 03-09-2014   #657
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Mallett's on field value is higher than the QBs in this year's draft who folks want to get instead in the 3rd+ round in some sort of pick economizing measure.
No doubt, Mallett was right there with Newton on physical QB traits and ahead on FB IQ.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #658
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I was never a fan of Mallett. Another in a long line of QB prospects who was overrated due to their size and arm strength.

I do admit that there are things to like about Mallett. But for me, the negatives always outweighed the positives. The biggest negative being that he was a consistent failure in the 4th quarter of games, which I documented in a post a couple of months ago when this idea first came up.

I also said at that time that it would take at least our #33 to get him, when many were thinking he could be had for our #65. NE has all the leverage in a deal like this, which I don't like. If O'Brien signs off on this then obviously I'm on board, but IMO Mallett is not a long term answer. And a trade like this would require a long term commitment, much like the Schaub trade did.

Mallett would be the best QB on this roster next year if we make no other changes, but he would just be the best of a bad group. Again, in my opinion. I see a potential franchise QB (yes, Bridgewater) at #1 who would be better in year 1 and better moving forward. That's what I'd do.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #659
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82375 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I would consider getting Clowney/Mallet/James/a Lb Likr Christian Jones then this has been a very good draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #660
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with your point. But, I don't think these grades are on the same scale. Clowney tops out at 7.5 this year, while there were 4 players in 2011 with 8.6 grades (Miller, Peterson, Green, and Darius).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read