Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-05-2014   #21
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Post Combine Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Closer to Beckham than Evans:
A.J. Green
Pierre Garcon

Similar to Beckham:
Antonio Brown
DeSean Jackson
AJ Green is 6'4". Are you just saying that AJ Green has more skills and position/route knowledge than a guy like Evans? Can you clear this up for me please?

Last edited by TexansFTW; 03-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #22
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
AJ Green is 6'4". Are you just saying that AJ Green has more skills and position/route knowledge than a guy like Evans? Can you clear this up for me please?
I can almost guarantee you that Green had more skills and position/route knowledge when he came out. However, I think bah was going by weight with that one as Green weighs 9 lbs more than Beckham and 23 lbs less than Evans.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #23
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Look at the question in context. We are in the draft forum. It is on post combine rankings. The list obviously is not talking about FAs in the sense of NFL players who are no longer under contract due to expiration of their contract or release as none are listed.
Missed that. I look forward to the new category with the same name which will cause confusion.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #24
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's on tape and not debatable.
Well, everything's debatable. Especially things like route running and polish, which are subjective. Especially without coaches' tape.

Both will be rookies and both will have to learn the intricacy of the NFL WR position. It's pretty rare that a rookie wideout comes in and tears up the league. There have only been 3 rookies come in and gain over 1000 yards receiving over the past 10 drafts (Keenen Allen, AJ Green, Marques Colston). Their average height? 6'3".
Old 03-05-2014   #25
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well, everything's debatable. Especially things like route running and polish, which are subjective. Especially without coaches' tape.

Both will be rookies and both will have to learn the intricacy of the NFL WR position. It's pretty rare that a rookie wideout comes in and tears up the league. There have only been 3 rookies come in and gain over 1000 yards receiving over the past 10 drafts (Keenen Allen, AJ Green, Marques Colston). Their average height? 6'3".
Many previous rookie WRs have done pretty well. 1000 yards you're correct, but that doesn't mean many others haven't had success.

2012 - Blackmon and Hilton over 800 yards along w/ Gordon in a reduced season
2011 - Julio Jones 960 yards w/ 8 TDs
2010 - Mike Williams 964 w/ 11 TDs, etc.

I don't even know what we are talking about anymore, I will stop.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #26
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTexan View Post
MSR, someone please get him for me.
Done
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #27
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Both. Green is 6-4 but he has a very slender build like Beckham and he relies on his skills and not his size to make plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I can almost guarantee you that Green had more skills and position/route knowledge when he came out. However, I think bah was going by weight with that one as Green weighs 9 lbs more than Beckham and 23 lbs less than Evans.
What he said.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014   #28
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Maybe my wording there is too strong but you get the point. Nobody has watched both and come away thinking that Evans is more polished or a better route runner. It's clear as day to me. I don't have access to coaches' tape but I have a DVR and I know what I'm looking for.

Both will have to learn on the job, but Beckham is already a step ahead and faces less of a learning curve. The things he will have to do at the next level he has already shown he can do. Evans has not. That doesn't mean that he cannot learn but it is more of a projection.

Was it their height that got those guys their stats? Or was it their skills?

Colston has the best argument for his height. He was a virtual nobody until Drew Brees made him famous.

Green was the most polished WR to come out in quite some time, and the highest rated since Calvin Johnson.

Allen was the most polished WR in his draft class. He fell in the draft because a PCL sprain kept him out of the combine. At his pro day he didn't want to run the 40 because he said he was only 80% healthy. The scouts begged him to and he ran a 4.71. Dropped from a 1st round projection to a 3rd round pick because all of a sudden he had speed concerns.
Old 03-05-2014   #29
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

My (Mussop) mock off your list. I added a 4th and a 5th and a 7th for compensatory picks.

OLB 1st Jadeveon Clowney – South Carolina
WR 2nd Brandin Cooks – Oregon St
OG 3rd David Yankey – Stanford video
OT 4th Seantrel Henderson – Miami
QB 4th Aaron Murray – Georgia
DT 5th Daniel McCullers – Tennessee
DE 5th Taylor Hart – Oregon
TE 6TH Colt Lyerla – Oregon
DT 7th Mike Pennel – Colorado St-Pueblo
ILB 7th Andrew Jackson – Western Kentucky
Old 03-16-2014   #30
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, I'm really liking Troy Niklas: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/troy-niklas/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014   #31
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Man, I'm really liking Troy Niklas: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/troy-niklas/
Very underrated. Closest thing in this draft to Gronk, if that's what you're looking for.
Old 03-16-2014   #32
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 151960 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Very underrated. Closest thing in this draft to Gronk, if that's what you're looking for.
http://www.ourlads.com/nfl-combine-ratings/2014/

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read