Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-03-2014   #41
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft chatter/rumors/news

O'Brien at Pitt watching QB Tom Savage

Quote:
Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline · 25m
Houston Texas coach Bill O'Brien at Pittsburgh pro-day for QB Tom Savage...requested Savage throw specific routes at the end of workout
Old 03-03-2014   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez
Quote:
Even so, Savage was happy with his Pro Day performance. Met with HCs Chip Kelly & Bill O'Brien after his workout.

.@GoPittFootball QB Tom Savage only had 1 WR (Devin Street) for Pro Day. One WR couldn't go because of bad wrist; No other options available
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Kevin Weidl ‏@KevinW_ESPN
Quote:
Heard Donald sat on his combine #'s at Pitt's pro day. No surprise. Savage threw well. Impressive arm strength/accuracy, in cold conditions.
Gil Brandt highlighted Savage's arm at the Combine.

2014 Pro Days: Pittsburgh DT Donald continues climb
Quote:
Bill O'Brien of the Houston Texans made Pitt his first pro day stop as an NFL head coach. Four quarterbacks coaches and Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly were also in attendance according to Pitt's Sports Information Department.
Quarterback Tom Savage, who could be a late-round riser, went through a scripted workout of 100 passes. Savage (6-4, 228), has the arm strength to be at least a quality backup.

A two-time transfer, Savage said he patiently explains to scouts that his travels should not be a red flag. But his limited experience against FBS defenses do complicate Savage's evaluation. Savage, who also attended Rutgers and Arizona, said it doesn't have to be a negative.

"I've been in three different systems, probably four or five different offensive coordinators. I don't even know anymore I've been to so many schools," Savage said. "You kind of have to pick it up on the run. You have to learn on your own. At Pittsburgh, I had to walk on and earn my spot. I had to pick up the offense and learn it by myself. Being ineligible you can't offer to much to the team. You really have to grind in the film room and pick it up on your own, kind of like the NFL will be. There will be veterans that know the playbook. They're not going to slow down for some rookie."

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-03-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #43
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Please explain what skill set you are talking about?
Donald is an insanely explosive gap penetrator off the snap. He excels in one-on-one situations because he's quicker than the guy across from him and strong enough to disengage. He gets upfield fast and makes plays. You're talking about taking him out of those kind of situations (that he excels in) and putting him in situations where he has no experience. Playing OLB? Playing ILB? The biggest flaw in his game is his weakness against double teams and he's going to be a 3-4 DE? Running a fast 40 or doing a bunch of bench reps doesn't suddenly make him capable of playing certain positions.

You don't take a guy with an explosive first step and inside penetrating ability and move him off the ball or to the edge. You like the guy and want him on the Texans. No issue with that, I love the guy. But he doesn't fit with the presumed defense RC is going to run. You're trying to square peg him into the system because you like him. This is the same kind of thing that ruined Glenn Dorsey's career.

You can find ways to implement a guy like him into your scheme, but not at the cost of a 1st-2nd round pick. Do you really want to use a high pick on a sub-package and situation specific player or do you want to use it on an every down starter?

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #44
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Crichton is about 30 lbs light to play in Romeo's past Ds. The history of Romeo's DE's have usually been of the 300 lb variety. This is why I eliminated many some very good 260-270 lb DE in the early rounds of my mock draft.

Unfortunately, I would have loved to see Donald lined up opposite JJ Watt in Wade's D. I believe the two would have wreaked havoc. I think that Donald is the most like Watt of all DL in this draft.
I see Crichton playing an identical role as Hali/McGinest.

Donalad could become another Watt. I believe he has that kind of ability. Luckily he want be there at 2-1. He's a bad fit for RC's defense.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #45
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 49238 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I see Crichton playing an identical role as Hali/McGinest.
Elephant - Yeah, I guess he could. I hadn't given it much thought until now. I guess that is because Mercilus and Reed are starters on the depth chart.
Old 03-03-2014   #46
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How would you compare Kony Ealy to Tamba Hali?
Quote:
This is another guy people want to pigeon hole onto the DL. Do you not think he is athletic enough to playOLB?
This is interesting i have always looked at him as a DE or if he put on 10lbs a 34DE never as an OLB.

Im certainly not trying to pigeon hole him.
He has the athleticism and I have seen him drop back a couple of times throughout his college career so it shouldn't be a massive problem for him to move to OLB.

I never thought of the player in this regard but i like the idea, will definitely look into it more
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #47
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Elephant - Yeah, I guess he could. I hadn't given it much thought until now. I guess that is because Mercilus and Reed are starters on the depth chart.
Donald at OLB is interesting, he had a 1.59 10, that's impressive for 304. If he dropped to the 270 range he'd be crazy explosive
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #48
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Donald at OLB is interesting, he had a 1.59 10, that's impressive for 304. If he dropped to the 270 range he'd be crazy explosive
Isn't Donald closer to 285 than 304?

Or are we talking about Ealy here?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #49
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Or are we talking about Ealy here?
CBS had him at 304

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ficial-40-time

I didn't think he was that big either. I thought he was in the 280 range as well
Either way, he's not lean. If he dropped body fat, he'd become much more explosive
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
6'0 3/4", 285 ibs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #51
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2014/03/03/...-post-combine/
Old 03-03-2014   #52
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

Kind of wondering why OB would be in Pittsburg scouting a QB expected to be a very late round selection, if not a FA. But Pittsburg is not that far from the Buffalo Bulls pro day tomorrow. Crennel should be there also.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #53
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Kind of wondering why OB would be in Pittsburg scouting a QB expected to be a very late round selection, if not a FA. But Pittsburg is not that far from the Buffalo Bulls pro day tomorrow. Crennel should be there also.
Bortles > Mathews > Savage

all three fit what OB is looking to develop.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #54
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post

Which is?

What has OB himself actually said?

Smart?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #55
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Donald is an insanely explosive gap penetrator off the snap. He excels in one-on-one situations because he's quicker than the guy across from him and strong enough to disengage. He gets upfield fast and makes plays. You're talking about taking him out of those kind of situations (that he excels in) and putting him in situations where he has no experience. Playing OLB? Playing ILB? The biggest flaw in his game is his weakness against double teams and he's going to be a 3-4 DE? Running a fast 40 or doing a bunch of bench reps doesn't suddenly make him capable of playing certain positions.

You don't take a guy with an explosive first step and inside penetrating ability and move him off the ball or to the edge. You like the guy and want him on the Texans. No issue with that, I love the guy. But he doesn't fit with the presumed defense RC is going to run. You're trying to square peg him into the system because you like him. This is the same kind of thing that ruined Glenn Dorsey's career.

You can find ways to implement a guy like him into your scheme, but not at the cost of a 1st-2nd round pick. Do you really want to use a high pick on a sub-package and situation specific player or do you want to use it on an every down starter?
This is a scouting report on Hali.

Positives: Has a relentless motor and explosive quickness in pursuit … Shows good leg drive and lower body strength to plant, drive and redirect with no loss of acceleration … Has a sudden burst into the backfield and can slip off an offensive tackle's outside shoulder with his quickness off the edge … Shows the valid speed to pursue ballcarriers into the second level … Stays low in his pads to slip past some trash … All-out hustler who plays until the whistle … Solid wrap-up tackler who takes good angles in pursuit and uses his hands well to lock on, drag down and make the hit … Has a good understanding of blocking schemes and is an explosive hitter when he beats a block … Has the long arms needed to reach out, lock on and get a piece of the ballcarriers when chasing along the perimeter.

Negatives: Lacks ideal size and his frame is at maximum growth potential … Does not have the upper body strength to stack and control … Size issues come into play when working in-line, as bigger blockers simply engulf him and when trying to shoot the inside gaps, he can be ridden out by a strong lead block (see 2005 South Florida and Cincinnati games) … Gets into the backfield quickly, but sometimes over-pursues the play due to his reckless abandon (needs to play with better control) … Beats the blocker around the edge, but has to be more active with his hands to combat counter moves and double teams … Relies more on his burst and quickness to get to the quarterback, failing to use an array of pass rush moves (effective rip, but struggles with club moves and rarely uses a swim) … Does not have the loose hips or pass drop agility to possibly make a move to linebacker.

Hali lacks ideal size and is close to maximum growth potential on his frame. However, he has good lower body muscle definition to generate a strong base and a big bubble. He does not have good upper body muscle tone and has to rely on his outstanding initial burst and explosion to defeat blockers coming off the edge rather than generate a power charge. His best asset is his pursuit speed and agility. He shows good balance on the move and is very active with his hands to combat low blocks at his legs.

Hali is a disruptive force in the backfield. He has the ability to explode past blockers when he stays low in his pads and comes off the snap with good urgency. He has good instincts and awareness to locate the ball and knows where the quarterback is. He flows to the ball well in backside pursuit and has the sustained speed to attack ballcarriers along the perimeter.

He is better vs. the pass than the run, as he sometimes generates poor hand placement, which lets blockers get into his chest to lock on. He has a good change of direction burst from the outside, but gets washed out by the bigger linemen when trying to get through inside trash, thus the move from tackle to end two years ago. Still, he is very competitive and rarely will you ever see him shut down on a play, even when beaten.

His lack of size causes him problems trying to play off double teams, but he has the flexibility to escape with his lateral moves. With his long arm length, he needs to do a better job of protecting his upper body from getting stymied on initial contact, but he lacks the strength to be effective winning battles vs. the larger offensive tackles.

Hali is best when given room to roam. He has an excellent closing burst and the redirection skills to make plays working down the line. He shows very good acceleration when dropping off to level two and showed in 2005 that he greatly improved his pass rush burst and rip-and-swim moves. He is an all-out hustler who can make plays in space on a consistent basis. He gets a quick push off the snap and while he certainly needs to shed better, he comes off the edge with good urgency.

In the past, Hali would burst into the backfield and get too reckless in his pursuit, getting taken out of the play. He showed better angles shooting the gaps as a senior, but his size and lack of upper body strength still make him a liability working around the pile. When he moves inside as a situational pass rusher, offensive tackles are quick to engulf him.

His all-out hustle will make him a very effective edge rusher, but only if given a free lane to the quarterback. Considering that offensive linemen are bigger, stronger and more physical at the pro level, a team will have to strongly consider if Hali is worth using a first-round draft pick on. He might be best served playing in obvious passing situations only. With little room for additional growth on his frame, "what you see, is what you get" here.

Tell me that doesn't sound like they are describing Donald. Minus a few of the negatives.

Here is what Roc did with Hali in KC.

Summary: When Romeo Crennel took over the defense in Kansas City, he wisely schemed Hali to match up against the open side where he exceled at Penn State, and it led to a surge in production that has carried into his sixth season. What he lacks in speed he compensates for with his relentless pursuit and effort. A versatile performer, Hali moved from defensive tackle to end in college and proved he could transition to OLB in the Chiefs' new defense, traits that endeared him to a new regime and led to a whopping extension in the offseason.

Now tell me what Hali had coming out that Donald doesn't. Donald is faster and uses his hands better and is stronger. He had better numbers in every single event they did at the combine. I think Crennel would use him exactly like he did Hali in KC. I know it won't happen but I have no doubt Donald could do it and do it well.
Old 03-04-2014   #56
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

quick cut to the chase - from a source bout close as I can find to OB both in New England & Penn State.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index...bortles_i.html

Quote:
1. Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: Of all the quality attributes Bortles has — size, athleticism, arm strength — familiarity is his biggest asset to the Texans. O’Brien’s mentor, George O’Leary, tutored Bortles at UCF, and together they soundly beat O'Brien's Penn State team last season. Bortles’ flaws are largely correctable, which fit right in with O’Brien’s strengths as a coach. Bortles has Pro Bowl potential with that kind of tutelage.
guess this would count as chatter/rumors/news

damn you Texain.

anyway Bortles is currently graded as #5 prospect overall & 2nd QB after Bridgewater according to NFLDRAFTSCOUT. 6-5 232

actaully I see that he has Savage graded just ahead of Mathews, 13th & 16th QB's respectively, so should have reversed the arrows. Savage is 6-4 228 Mathews 6-4 223. Both posses the frame, intelligence & arm OB likes. Just saying those last two may go sooner than expected & that the Texans will be the ones pulling the trigger. As for Bortles, Smith has to prove his mettle & maximize the #1 overall selection value, so I'm thinking a trade down with Cleveland, Oakland or Atlanta may be in the offing.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Both posses the frame, intelligence & arm OB likes.
If OB likes arm strength I am not sure why Bortles would be high on his list, although I guess he could figure it is fixable.
Old 03-04-2014   #58
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

so the texans have met with bortles, mettenberger, savage and now a rumour comes out about us looking at brock osweiler. all are above 6.5 interesting???
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #59
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
This is a scouting report on Hali.
Quote:
Positives: Has a relentless motor and explosive quickness in pursuit … Shows good leg drive and lower body strength to plant, drive and redirect with no loss of acceleration … Has a sudden burst into the backfield and can slip off an offensive tackle's outside shoulder with his quickness off the edge … Shows the valid speed to pursue ballcarriers into the second level … Stays low in his pads to slip past some trash … All-out hustler who plays until the whistle … Solid wrap-up tackler who takes good angles in pursuit and uses his hands well to lock on, drag down and make the hit … Has a good understanding of blocking schemes and is an explosive hitter when he beats a block … Has the long arms needed to reach out, lock on and get a piece of the ballcarriers when chasing along the perimeter.

Negatives: Lacks ideal size and his frame is at maximum growth potential … Does not have the upper body strength to stack and control …

Tell me that doesn't sound like they are describing Donald. Minus a few of the negatives.
Biggest difference to me is that Donald is an inside player. I think there should be some drop off when you're taking a DE & converting him to OLB, even if he'll be primarily rushing the QB.

There should definitely be a hit when converting a guy from DT to OLB.
Old 03-04-2014   #60
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We are not going to get any solid information from the Texans as to what their draft strategy will be. All we have are clues. Scouting prospects expected to go that deep, likely a third day pick, shows that the organization definately is considering options other than a QB at 1-1. But beyond this, which is not unexpected, is the clue that we may not take QB until the third day.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read