Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2014   #301
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Selection 1.11: JJ Watt DE Wisconson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Chapman View Post
Speaking on the bold area of your post. Doing that with Watt will follow with a disgruntled player that sits out during training camp etc.
Yes, but during that time you negotiate his 4 year extension with a BIG signing bonus and you can prorate it starting in the "5th year" of his rookie deal. Thus reducing his caphit over time by throwing a few million of his signing bonus into that year.
Old 03-03-2014   #302
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
(this discussion should probably have its own thread, but whatever)...
You're right, my bad... here the new topic:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104286
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #303
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
A Storm is a Brewing...First round picks from the 2011 draft class are in for a rude awakening
Quote:
Simply put, a system that was advertised as a way to reward players who perform has instead turned into leverage against the players.
( By request, deserves its own topic.)

Leverage isn't leverage unless you use it. We should offer him a "reasonable" contract now, pay him well, just not in the overpaid Mario Williams neighborhood. I'd give him $24M signing bonus (Mario got $19M & only $25M guaranteed) & guarantee the next three years of salary, $1M, $6M, $6M (another $13M)....... Overall value of the 6 year deal would be ~$60M. He gets 40% of it up front, 60% guaranteed ($37M).

I'm willing to do 5 years for $60M, I'm willing to go as far as $74M for 6. Either way, if he's worth it I'm looking to renegotiate in 2018 anyway.

So I'm looking at anything from $10M/yr (this is where we start) to $12M/yr. Which is less than the $16M/yr of Mario's contract. But I'm putting 26% more money in Jj's pocket right off the bat. & he's guaranteed 50% more.

The offer won't change next year, & it won't change after 2015 when he's a free agent. He can take the money now, or risk injury, or two sub par seasons in a 2 gap 3-4.
Old 03-03-2014   #304
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Leverage isn't leverage unless you use it. We should offer him a "reasonable" contract now, pay him well, just not in the overpaid Mario Williams neighborhood. I'd give him $24M signing bonus (Mario got $19M & only $25M guaranteed) & guarantee the next three years of salary, $1M, $6M, $6M (another $13M)....... Overall value of the 6 year deal would be ~$60M. He gets 40% of it up front, 60% guaranteed ($37M).

I'm willing to do 5 years for $60M, I'm willing to go as far as $74M for 6. Either way, if he's worth it I'm looking to renegotiate in 2018 anyway.

So I'm looking at anything from $10M/yr (this is where we start) to $12M/yr. Which is less than the $16M/yr of Mario's contract. But I'm putting 26% more money in Jj's pocket right off the bat. & he's guaranteed 50% more.

The offer won't change next year, & it won't change after 2015 when he's a free agent. He can take the money now, or risk injury, or two sub par seasons in a 2 gap 3-4.
Can I have some of what you are smoking?
Old 03-03-2014   #305
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Me too. I just need a little pinch for a '1 hitter'.

Standing by....

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #306
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Me too. I just need a little pinch for a '1 hitter'.

Standing by....

NO!! But I have a connect!
Old 03-03-2014   #307
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you saying you would offer Jj more than $12M/yr now, or you're going to make him play out his rookie contract, plus the team option 5th year before you offer him an extension?
Old 03-03-2014   #308
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying you would offer Jj more than...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014   #309
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 381485 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you saying you would offer Jj more than $12M/yr now, or you're going to make him play out his rookie contract, plus the team option 5th year before you offer him an extension?
I am saying $10 is an insult, $12 is not going to happen and going all Trump on him with refusing to increase as the market rises is a recipe for failure so pass the brownies if you think that is going to work.
Old 03-03-2014   #310
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I am saying $10 is an insult, $12 is not going to happen and going all Trump on him with refusing to increase as the market rises is a recipe for failure so pass the brownies if you think that is going to work.
I'm offering a bigger signing bonus than Mario got, I'm offering more guaranteed money than Mario got. I'm willing to guarantee him $37M (heck, I'll make it an even $40M), I'm offering an average salary of $12M, I can start putting that money in his pocket today.

He can say no. That's his prerogative. Instead of putting $25M in his mattress, or he can take his $120K game check to the bank each week. If he gets hurt & is no longer the player he is now...... he may not get such a deal in the future. If the NFL "catches up" to him & his production declines... he may not get such a deal in the future.

I'm making it pretty clear my ceiling is $12M/yr, if he turns it down now, he'll turn it down at the end of the 2015 season. I'd much rather trade him before the 2015 season before I pay him more than $12M/yr. There will more than likely be a line of teams who'd be more than happy to pay him more than that.

I'm banking on it. Especially if we draft Clowney.
Old 03-04-2014   #311
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

In addition to all the other problems and reasons this has less of a chance of happening than me being made Pope, you need to take another look at Mario's contract. Through the 1st 3 years of his contract (2014) he will have received $51.9 mil so $1.9 mil more than JJ would make in the 1st 5 years of your contract proposal.

But carry on.
Old 03-04-2014   #312
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
In addition to all the other problems and reasons this has less of a chance of happening than me being made Pope, you need to take another look at Mario's contract. Through the 1st 3 years of his contract (2014) he will have received $51.9 mil so $1.9 mil more than JJ would make in the 1st 5 years of your contract proposal.

But carry on.
So be it. I've drawn my line in the sand. I put a dollar amount on what I'm willing to pay Jj Watt. Anything more than that, to me is overpaying & a mistake. If the Texans want to make that mistake, nothing I say is going to change that.

Like I said to start, what's the point of having leverage if you're not going to use it?
Old 03-04-2014   #313
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112130 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So be it. I've drawn my line in the sand. I put a dollar amount on what I'm willing to pay Jj Watt. Anything more than that, to me is overpaying & a mistake. If the Texans want to make that mistake, nothing I say is going to change that.

Like I said to start, what's the point of having leverage if you're not going to use it?
What's the point of drafting the best defensive player in the league if you're not prepared to pay him like it? You gonna trade him because he refuses to be low balled?

It doesn't matter if Mario's contract is ridiculous. Watt is a better player than Mario and his representation will be looking to be compensated in a similar manner. $12 mil a year is a slap in the face. The franchise tag for a DE is $13.1 mil.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014   #314
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
It doesn't matter if Mario's contract is ridiculous. Watt is a better player than Mario and his representation will be looking to be compensated in a similar manner. $12 mil a year is a slap in the face. The franchise tag for a DE is $13.1 mil.
Mario will never realize $16M/yr.
Old 03-04-2014   #315
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
You're right. He is about to finish three years at $17.3/yr in his pocket.
Old 03-04-2014   #316
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Short of Mario voluntarily agreeing to a pay reduction, please give a scenario where it's even possible he doesn't realize $16M/yr.
Old 03-04-2014   #317
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Short of Mario voluntarily agreeing to a pay reduction, please give a scenario where it's even possible he doesn't realize $16M/yr.
They'll ask him this year or next to restructure.
Old 03-04-2014   #318
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That doesn't address my question. Many restructures don't impact dollars - only timing, and I specifically excluded taking a pay cut. So I ask again...
Old 03-04-2014   #319
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Restructuring will mean he gets the money in his pocket faster, possibly with the promise of more money above his current contract.
Old 03-04-2014   #320
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
That doesn't address my question. Many restructures don't impact dollars - only timing, and I specifically excluded taking a pay cut. So I ask again...
Maybe I spoke too soon. Looking at the cap, they can easily afford it. But just because the Bills does it, doesn't mean we should.

"We" didn't want Mario on this team with an $18M cap hit, regardless how many sacks & TFL he produced.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read