Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2014   #2661
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ouch, someone has sand in their vagina. Dude doesn't know what a low profile is. That's a fact, not a smear campaign.
Nope. What most people don't understand is for logical and rational Aggies like myself and Htown, seeing this smear campaign and assassination on Manziel's character is absolutely sickening.

Being on the front lines of one of the biggest media harassment's of a college athlete is something that people outside of Aggieland will just never get. If you were sitting in our shoes and saw what we saw up close and personal, you would have a totally different view.

And please don't confuse the above with some irrational agenda for Manziel to become a Texan just because he also played for my alma mater. That is not it at all. I do not personally feel Manziel is the right choice for us at 1.1 nor do I think he is the best QB in this draft...

What I do feel strongly about is how all these sheeple have succumb to the E!SPN hype once again and now view Manziel as some lazy, drunkard, self absorbed, prima donna who never gave two **** about anything but himself. Which is 100% incorrect.

It hurts to see a kid who did so much for your school get berated and belittled by a bunch of worthless morons with a macbook and a blog.

Very few people want to talk about his merit as an actual football player. Instead everyone wants diss him for things like simply going to a charity even and putting on a shirt with his name on the back.

Sorry, but seeing this just pisses me off so much because how the media has pigeoned holed Manziel is just a sad microcosm of how our society today allows their televisions and phones dictate their perception of a person character...A person they have never once met in their entire life.
Old 03-06-2014   #2662
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Nope. What most people don't understand is for logical and rational Aggies like myself and Htown, seeing this smear campaign and assassination on Manziel's character is absolutely sickening....

....Sorry, but seeing this just pisses me off so much because how the media has pigeoned holed Manziel is just a sad microcosm of how our society today allows their televisions and phones dictate their perception of a person character...A person they have never once met in their entire life.
I hear what you're saying, and with that said...

Yet almost every Aggie I talk to HATES LeBron James. I get looking out for 'your own', but you're all hypocrites too. Sorry.

FWIW I back LBJ and JFF 100% (just not on the Texans).
Old 03-06-2014   #2663
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I hear what you're saying, and with that said...

Yet almost every Aggie I talk to HATES LeBron James. I get looking out for 'your own', but you're all hypocrites too. Sorry.

FWIW I back LBJ and JFF 100% (just not on the Texans).
What does Lebron James have to do with it? I'm an aggie and I hate him, but that's because I grew up around Cleveland.

Although if he left the Heat to come back to the Cavs, all would be forgiven and he would be seen as the prodigal son.
Old 03-06-2014   #2664
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Nope. What most people don't understand is for logical and rational Aggies like myself and Htown, seeing this smear campaign and assassination on Manziel's character is absolutely sickening.

Being on the front lines of one of the biggest media harassment's of a college athlete is something that people outside of Aggieland will just never get. If you were sitting in our shoes and saw what we saw up close and personal, you would have a totally different view.

And please don't confuse the above with some irrational agenda for Manziel to become a Texan just because he also played for my alma mater. That is not it at all. I do not personally feel Manziel is the right choice for us at 1.1 nor do I think he is the best QB in this draft...

What I do feel strongly about is how all these sheeple have succumb to the E!SPN hype once again and now view Manziel as some lazy, drunkard, self absorbed, prima donna who never gave two **** about anything but himself. Which is 100% incorrect.

It hurts to see a kid who did so much for your school get berated and belittled by a bunch of worthless morons with a macbook and a blog.

Very few people want to talk about his merit as an actual football player. Instead everyone wants diss him for things like simply going to a charity even and putting on a shirt with his name on the back.

Sorry, but seeing this just pisses me off so much because how the media has pigeoned holed Manziel is just a sad microcosm of how our society today allows their televisions and phones dictate their perception of a person character...A person they have never once met in their entire life.

This is why I don't ******* with ESPN. Its more MTV than sports. They are the original TMZ sports. Its all about eyeballs, they need more and similar to the Tebow thing, they know Manziel brings viewers who aren't necessarily into the game or the x's and o's. So they are going to give you Manziel outside of the lines as much as possible. Look Johny did this or that, then they'll have two talking heads debate over whether something he did or said can be completely construed left or completely construed right. We all need to realize that the dedicated sports fans matter little, they've got you looking and watching already, they need to create a buzz so that people who wouldn't know a nickel from a dime will watch.
Old 03-06-2014   #2665
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnny Manziel signs with Nike
Quote:
Financial terms were not disclosed, but sources told ESPN.com that it's a multiyear deal that will be the highest price paid for a rookie in this year's class...
Old 03-06-2014   #2666
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Just like any DC worth his salt should be able to field a potent defense with JaDeveon Clowney, I believe any good OC should be able to field a prolific offense with Manziel (Bridgewater too).

& as excited as you'd think a DC would be to get his "hands" on Clowney, I think OCs would be drooling to get their hands on Manziel. I know many don't believe his game will translate to the NFL (just like they worry about Clowney's work ethic), but that depends on the offense you design for him.

Just to be clear, I do not advocate taking Johnny Manziel with the #1 overall. But I can understand why some team would want to.

But damn... why couldn't this kid wait 'till after the draft? Nike isn't going anywhere.
Old 03-06-2014   #2667
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'd be interested in that, assuming we got Dallas' pick at #16. Romo currently has the majority of his contract tied up in signing bonus, which means he would only cost:

2014 $1,000,000
2015 $17,000,000
2016 $8,500,000
2017 $14,000,000
2018 $19,500,000
2019 $20,500,000

Only his 2014 salary would be guaranteed. 7.5m of his 2015 salary would be guaranteed if he's on the roster in 2015.

However, Dallas would incur about 40 million in cap acceleration from his signing bonuses, so it has no chance of happening.
DR, I KNOW you didn't forget who's at the wheel up there. It'll never happen, I agree. But as long as Jerrah is calling the shots, nothing would surprise me.

Just sayin'.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
Old 03-06-2014   #2668
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just like any DC worth his salt should be able to field a potent defense with JaDeveon Clowney, I believe any good OC should be able to field a prolific offense with Manziel (Bridgewater too).

& as excited as you'd think a DC would be to get his "hands" on Clowney, I think OCs would be drooling to get their hands on Manziel. I know many don't believe his game will translate to the NFL (just like they worry about Clowney's work ethic), but that depends on the offense you design for him.

Just to be clear, I do not advocate taking Johnny Manziel with the #1 overall. But I can understand why some team would want to.

But damn... why couldn't this kid wait 'till after the draft? Nike isn't going anywhere.
What's the difference?

Curious.
Old 03-06-2014   #2669
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
What's the difference?
Yeah, I'd be signing him to everything I could as soon as I could.
Old 03-06-2014   #2670
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yeah, I'd be signing him to everything I could as soon as I could.
Taking a page out of the Reggie Bush Adidas playbook.
Old 03-07-2014   #2671
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So much for keeping a low profile and only concentrating on football.

Johnny Manziel visits spring training; LINK

No real news here.

I mean, what's so news worthy about finding a hot dog at a ball park?

Old 03-07-2014   #2672
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
What's the difference?

Curious.
IMO, the only thing he "did" that would raise eyebrows off the field, was taking money for his autograph. He argued it down, was suspended for half a game, blah, blah, blah...

makes it seem like it's all about the money. This... makes it seem like it's all about the money. It's not like he had to leave school early so he could take care of his parents. It's not like he's married with kids of his own needing his support.

I wouldn't have a problem if it were Bridgewater, Bortles, or even McCarron who signed a dieal at this time. But Manziel is in a situation where this question was raised.
Old 03-07-2014   #2673
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 71957 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
This is why I don't ******* with ESPN. Its more MTV than sports. They are the original TMZ sports. Its all about eyeballs, they need more and similar to the Tebow thing, they know Manziel brings viewers who aren't necessarily into the game or the x's and o's. So they are going to give you Manziel outside of the lines as much as possible. Look Johny did this or that, then they'll have two talking heads debate over whether something he did or said can be completely construed left or completely construed right. We all need to realize that the dedicated sports fans matter little, they've got you looking and watching already, they need to create a buzz so that people who wouldn't know a nickel from a dime will watch.
TV Sports Networks have become the supermarket tabloids of Cable.
Old 03-07-2014   #2674
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
IMO, the only thing he "did" that would raise eyebrows off the field, was taking money for his autograph. He argued it down, was suspended for half a game, blah, blah, blah...

makes it seem like it's all about the money. This... makes it seem like it's all about the money. It's not like he had to leave school early so he could take care of his parents. It's not like he's married with kids of his own needing his support.

I wouldn't have a problem if it were Bridgewater, Bortles, or even McCarron who signed a dieal at this time. But Manziel is in a situation where this question was raised.
Just because you have money doesn't mean you don't have the right to pursue more, taking other people's stories into consideration when evaluating an individual is wack IMO.

What if someone poorer or in more need of a job applies for the same job you do, but they chose you for the job? Would you forfeit the job that you also need because they need it more? Hell no, this is America, Nike will find someone else if Manziel waits and has a bad scenario play out.

It's a smart move for Manziel. I'd be willing to bet that Nike scouts don't know as much as NFL scouts and if Manziel drops to pick #24 as Andy Dalton's backup then his earning power is now a fraction of what it was.

I would ink any deal as quickly as possible. His earning power now is greater than I foresee it ever being again.
Old 03-07-2014   #2675
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Having read the Manziel piece in Texas Monthly, this may well be his way of "making it on his own" financially.
Old 03-12-2014   #2676
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Warren Moon Claims Johnny Manziel Could Become Next Tim Tebow; LINK

Quote:
You’re talking about taking a guy number one overall in the draft and he’s 5’11. He didn’t really run that fast at the combine, only about a 4.6 which was closer to a 4.7, so you are talking about a small guy that’s not very fast in an NFL that’s big strong and fast. He likes to run around and make plays and he was able to do that in college. I just don’t know how well that’s going to transition into the National Football League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 03-12-2014   #2677
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57885 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

CollegeFootball 24/7 ‏@NFL_CFB 1m

Cosell: Johnny Manziel isn't what @HoustonTexans Bill O'Brien looks for in QB. http://on.nfl.com/1fwfswX
Old 03-12-2014   #2678
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Do not want. The more I think about it, the less I want manziel.
Old 03-12-2014   #2679
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Warren Moon Claims Johnny Manziel Could Become Next Tim Tebow; LINK
Absolutely stupid comparison.
Old 03-12-2014   #2680
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Absolutely stupid comparison.
Also makes no sense coming from Warren Moon.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read