Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who would be your #1 pick?
Clowney DE 23 21.90%
Mack OLB 3 2.86%
Bridgewater QB 40 38.10%
Manziel QB 16 15.24%
Bortles QB 6 5.71%
Watkins WR 3 2.86%
Matthews OT 4 3.81%
Robinson OT 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2014   #101
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would be your #1 choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
The price depends on how far down we are willing to move. Where does the elite talent drop off at?
Since all of the 8 players listed here received votes (with Mack only getting 1 vote, but also seeming to be Mayocks favorite), I guess you could say 8 - maybe you could even include players like Barr.

I like trading down for the right offer, but I am still a believer in Bridgewater and I would be very intrigued with Manziel. Overall I would only trade down, if we don`t believe in either QB. I donīt think any other player is worth keeping the pick (instead of a great offer) since we have great depth this season.

And I don`t really like Clowney. Sure, he is a physical freak and maybe a generational talent. But with the way he handles himself and never really giving 100%, I don`t like that. He can get by on his talent alone - and he will be able to get by on talent alone with the pros. But he will never be dominating if he doesn`t drastically change his work ethic and on the field energy. I don`t like to take that chance.

So trade the first pick for a great offer, if you don`t believe in either QB. If you do, I don`t care what the offer is, you take the QB. Right now Iīd say: take Bridgewater.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #102
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=LikeMike;2304384]Since all of the 8 players listed here received votes (with Mack only getting 1 vote, but also seeming to be Mayocks favorite), I guess you could say 8 - maybe you could even include players like Barr.

I like trading down for the right offer, but I am still a believer in Bridgewater and I would be very intrigued with Manziel. Overall I would only trade down, if we don`t believe in either QB. I donīt think any other player is worth keeping the pick (instead of a great offer) since we have great depth this season.

And I don`t really like Clowney. Sure, he is a physical freak and maybe a generational talent. But with the way he handles himself and never really giving 100%, I don`t like that. He can get by on his talent alone - and he will be able to get by on talent alone with the pros. But he will never be dominating if he doesn`t drastically change his work ethic and on the field energy. I don`t like to take that chance.

So trade the first pick for a great offer, if you don`t believe in either QB. If you do, I don`t care what the offer is, you take the QB. Right now Iīd say: take Bridgewater.[/QUOTE

Clowney will be a perennial double digit sack artist who never lives up to the expectations. Good but not great.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #103
klockWork
All Pro

Rep Power: 27534 klockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respectedklockWork is a quality contributor and well respected

The lack of quality from this year crops of QBs makes it easy for me to choose Clowney @#1.
klockWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #104
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Since all of the 8 players listed here received votes (with Mack only getting 1 vote, but also seeming to be Mayocks favorite), I guess you could say 8 - maybe you could even include players like Barr.

So trade the first pick for a great offer, if you don`t believe in either QB. If you do, I don`t care what the offer is, you take the QB. Right now Iīd say: take Bridgewater.
I had to double check who wrote this as it's verbatim how I feel! If OB see a QB he must have then I'm great taking him at 1.1. Outside of that I really want to trade down (like with CLE) and stockpile draft picks. Would take best available at #4 whether that's Robinson or Mack or hell even Clowney. Really want to be able to pick up another pick this draft and a 2015 1st with a trade down.

If we MUST stay at 1.1 I still like Bridgewater. But my mind is open and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #105
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I had to double check who wrote this as it's verbatim how I feel! If OB see a QB he must have then I'm great taking him at 1.1. Outside of that I really want to trade down (like with CLE) and stockpile draft picks. Would take best available at #4 whether that's Robinson or Mack or hell even Clowney. Really want to be able to pick up another pick this draft and a 2015 1st with a trade down.

If we MUST stay at 1.1 I still like Bridgewater. But my mind is open and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out
Quote:
I've said from the start that there is good qualities in all three of theses guys. If we pick one of them I'll be fine with the choice. If Obrian takes one it's going to be because he believes that particular player fits his system the best. If he takes Clowney I'll be fine with that too. Hell I'm cool with Watkins or Robinson. I can justify any of those picks.

IMO all these guys should be difference makers. I think it's silly to lock onto one of them and dog the rest. I'm happy as hell we are going to get one of them.
yep pretty much how i have felt for awhile.
Old 02-25-2014   #106
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12818 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

No sure thing at the QB position this year. So I voted clowney. Take mccarron 2.1 Look for a vet around the league to push a.j.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #107
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
Clowney will be a perennial double digit sack artist who never lives up to the expectations. Good but not great.
That's why he had 3.5 sacks last season against college competition !? So much for perennial .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by htowntexans1985 View Post
No sure thing at the QB position this year. So I voted clowney. Take mccarron 2.1 Look for a vet around the league to push a.j.
I fell off the McCarron wagon after watching him throw the other day .... Give me Garoppolo @ 2:1.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #108
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12818 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
fell off the McCarron wagon after watching him throw the other day .... Give me Garoppolo @ 2:1.

Fair enough. I'll admit I havent watched much of Garoppolo
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #109
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a trade down and pick Robinson (Who I voted for) or Clowney at 4. In the trade I want Cleveland's 2nd and a 2015 1st.

Garappolo or Murray would be my QB pick.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #110
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm starting lean that way too, but it just feels wrong considering our need at QB.

Watkins is the only guy that doesn't have any questions marks for me.
No ?'s on height? Only 6'1"?

If you're a short WR in the league you generally need a special QB to succeed. If you're being drafted in the top 5 you generally don't have a special QB.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #111
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What kind of cookies????
Why DARK Chocolate of course....

ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #112
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 255440 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
No ?'s on height? Only 6'1"?

If you're a short WR in the league you generally need a special QB to succeed. If you're being drafted in the top 5 you generally don't have a special QB.
How is 6'1" a short WR? Jeez ...
Old 02-27-2014   #113
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7556 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

In ten years 6 1 will be short for a corner.
Old 02-27-2014   #114
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In ten years 6 1 will be short for a corner.
Folks were saying that ten years ago.
Old 02-27-2014   #115
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still on the Bridgewater bandwagon, but I agree with some folks that there isn't a true clear #1 prospect in this draft. However, sometimes you gotta take a chance and get a guy who will develop into someone worthy of the #1 overall pick. There is no Andrew Luck, unfortunately, so we will have to take the guy who is most likely to become that franchise QB. I think it will be Teddy.
Old 02-27-2014   #116
jradMIT
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Folks were saying that ten years ago.
They were just ahead of their time.
Old 02-27-2014   #117
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 354011 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They were just ahead of their time.
Well, I guess you'll have that consolation 10 years from now.
Old 02-27-2014   #118
jradMIT
Veteran

not much consolation.
Old 02-27-2014   #119
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95464 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm still on the Bridgewater bandwagon, but I agree with some folks that there isn't a true clear #1 prospect in this draft. However, sometimes you gotta take a chance and get a guy who will develop into someone worthy of the #1 overall pick. There is no Andrew Luck, unfortunately, so we will have to take the guy who is most likely to become that franchise QB. I think it will be Teddy.
Same place I'm at. I could make a case for 7 guys to be the #1 pick. But in such a muddled group, QB is such a huge need that I can convince myself to go QB and Teddy is the one I happen to like the most.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #120
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 306681 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Rumor being floated around is close friends Falcons Thomas Dimitroff and Rams Les Snead already have a trade in place contingent on who the Texans select. Targets could be Clowney or Mack, if...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read