Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-25-2014   #581
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Dude, but what the heck is there to like about Ryan Mallet that makes him worth a 2nd round pick in a trade? I'm willing to bet that more backup QBs have fallen on their faces than carried their team to greatness. I'm talking since the inception of the NFL here, too, and not just cherry picking a few here and there.

I haven't heard a single righteous answer except for a small OB connection and he's a part of the Hoody Tribe. To me the guy is Jimmy Clausen, except without the snaps.
The only reason to like the idea of a Mallet trade is that OB would have to sign off on it. If he does, then we're assuming he knows something that we don't....

If OB weren't here, this wouldn't have much traction at all... actually, there isn't a whole lot of traction as it is. A few... & it's very few people have signed off on a deal. I think maybe 1 is ok with trading 2-1, most aren't.
Old 02-25-2014   #582
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, but what the heck is there to like about Ryan Mallet that makes him worth a 2nd round pick in a trade? I'm willing to bet that more backup QBs have fallen on their faces than carried their team to greatness. I'm talking since the inception of the NFL here, too, and not just cherry picking a few here and there.

I haven't heard a single righteous answer except for a small OB connection and he's a part of the Hoody Tribe. To me the guy is Jimmy Clausen, except without the snaps.
OK, putting aside the wisdom of trades generally and onto Mallett...

I think Mallett had 1st round talent but dropped in the draft due to (a) some immaturity issues such as a PI and recreational drug use and (b) the coaching change at Michigan. I don't view size as critical but he is as prototypical as you can get. He has demonstrated excellent study of the game and ability to explain the responsibilities, reads, route concepts, etc. better than most. He has a cannon for an arm. He was both prolific and careful with the football. He spread the ball rather than relying on a star receiver. He came from a pro style offense in the SEC. I put no significance to OB's familiarity other than him having more basis for an opinion. I am also not just trying to find someone from New England as I don't want Cassell. I do think being behind Brady, in a winning program and recipient of above average coaching will have benefitted him. I do think Belichick finding him to be the best QB in the 2011 draft and liking him enough to use the highest pick he has ever used on a QB in either Cleveland or New England weighs in his favor.

So that's my reasoning on Mallett without running down QBs who may be available at 2.1. Not trying to persuade you but you asked why I liked him.

Last edited by infantrycak; 02-25-2014 at 04:55 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #583
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

you can take the word "backup" out of the bolded and it would STILL be true. Numerically speaking, there's a very small subset of QBs, starter or backup, "since the inception of the NFL", that have ever "carried their team to greatness".

Bottom line: Every trade is a roll of the dice. Either you feel like rolling the dice or you don't.

Personally, I'd rather see O'Brien coach up who we have and use our picks to shore up other positions and make the team, as a whole, stronger.

But that's just me.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #584
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Personally, I'd rather see O'Brien coach up who we have and use our picks to shore up other positions and make the team, as a whole, stronger.

But that's just me.
You're not saying that you'd be fine if we didn't draft a QB in the first three rounds are you?

I honestly can't imagine that. I'm usually pretty even keeled..... but I think that would tip me over. We need to draft a guy, or bring in a ringer, like Mallet, or McGoin... or someone who might have a future in the NFL (I'm okay with Cassel, but we'd have to draft someone as well)

Keenum & Yates can not be our only shot at a future starting QB for this team.
Old 02-25-2014   #585
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You're not saying that you'd be fine if we didn't draft a QB in the first three rounds are you?

I honestly can't imagine that. I'm usually pretty even keeled..... but I think that would tip me over. We need to draft a guy, or bring in a ringer, like Mallet, or McGoin... or someone who might have a future in the NFL (I'm okay with Cassel, but we'd have to draft someone as well)

Keenum & Yates can not be our only shot at a future starting QB for this team.
well maybe I wouldn't wait until round 4 but the idea of having Clowney and then Van Noy and then the best OT on the board is more appealing than Bortles or Manziel

And QBs graduate every year so Keenum and T.J. aren't "our only shot at a future starting QB..." That's a bit of an overstatement.

But I'm a build up the trenches and the defense guy over having a rookie QB.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #586
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15
Quote:
FFFRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #587
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
well maybe I wouldn't wait until round 4 but the idea of having Clowney and then Van Noy and then the best OT on the board is more appealing than Bortles or Manziel

And QBs graduate every year so Keenum and T.J. aren't "our only shot at a future starting QB..." That's a bit of an overstatement.

But I'm a build up the trenches and the defense guy over having a rookie QB.
I wouldn't give up more than 3-1 for Mallett. But if I had to give up 2-1 ffor Mallett I would want a 4th back in addition to Mallett. then use a 4/5th to trade back into the 3rd. You would end up with 1-1, 3-1, 3rd traded for, 4-1

1.Clowney
2. Mallett
3. James
3. Daquan Jones
4. Zumwalt

Not bad in a deep draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #588
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15
This really intrigues me.
Old 02-25-2014   #589
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I wouldn't give up more than 3-1 for Mallett. But if I had to give up 2-1 ffor Mallett I would want a 4th back in addition to Mallett.
I wonder if they'd give us Mallet & Eddleman for 2-1.
Old 02-25-2014   #590
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
This really intrigues me.
Was he arrested again?

Old 02-25-2014   #591
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last few tweets of ryan mallett. interesting

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 18
"We can stay there until we figure it out"

Retweeted by Ryan Mallett
Nathan Fitch ‏@UNCLENATEFITCH Feb 18
"If one is loyal to a good cause gone bad, the loyalty must be ceased."

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 20
Folks don't know the half

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 21
Patience. It's coming.

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 3h
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #592
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wonder if they'd give us Mallet & Eddleman for 2-1.
Edelman is not the Pats to give. He is UFA.
Old 02-25-2014   #593
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Brees? Really? I guess people forget about the Schaub-like career he had in San Diego along with the major shoulder surgery in the off season before NO signed him as a FA. He didn't beccome the Drew Brees that he is today until a few years into his Saints stint. At the time, he was a major risk. Luckily for NO, it paid off for them.

But it is a bit of revisionist history to imply that the Super Bowl winning big stats QB was what was on the market and the Texans were stupid to pass on him.
You misunderstood me. I'm not upset with the Texans for passing on the guys, I'm just thinking about how crazy it is that MVP caliber QBs where at one point available for purchase. Just funny how things turn out. .
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #594
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Last few tweets of ryan mallett. interesting

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 18
"We can stay there until we figure it out"

Retweeted by Ryan Mallett
Nathan Fitch ‏@UNCLENATEFITCH Feb 18
"If one is loyal to a good cause gone bad, the loyalty must be ceased."

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 20
Folks don't know the half

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 Feb 21
Patience. It's coming.

Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 3h
Quote:
Jeff Long ‏@jefflongUA · 4h
“@Ryan_mallett_15: FFFRRREEEEEEEDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM !!!!!!!” Just watched that this past weekend! One of the best scenes! Hope u R well
I think he is just watching braveheart.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #595
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21346 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I think he is just watching braveheart.
the kitten implied to not take this too seriously
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #596
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Alright here it goes...

Matt Cassel starting QB for the 2014 Houston Texans...

Texans decide that the QB's in this draft are not worth the 1st overall so they take the Seahawk approach and decide to build a smothering defense...

They trade back with Cleveland and get Clowney @ #4

They take....wait for it...Aaron Murray in the 3rd-4th round to sit behind Cassel and learn the system. Murray will be the starting QB for the Houston Texans come 2015.

Let the flaming commence....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #597
Rozelle
Rookie

Rep Power: 599 Rozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respected

If O’Brien and Smith believe Mallett can be their franchise QB, then trading for him makes the most sense. True O’Brien hasn’t been around Mallett the past couple years, however coach Godsey has. They should have a good feel there. I would not think the Texans would want to give the 2.33 for Mallett, that’s too much. Under the new draft structure the 2.33 has become very valuable. If they can’t get him for a three, they can look at trading back and getting a two as part of the package compensation, and use it on a Mallett trade.
By trading down you’ll likely miss out on Clowney, but not sure Texans want to invest a top five pick, some $15-$20 million guaranteed on a player with questionable work habits. How hard is he going to be willing to work once he gets all that coin? Sure you’ll have Watt and Cushing to push him, but will he respond? WTS… I’m sure the Texans brass has a pretty good feel for Clowney after they interviewed him at the Combine.
If looking for defense, better option may be trading down say with Minnesota at the 1.8 and draft a guy like Khalil Mack. Something like this would land them Mallett (2nd round pick from trading down) and Mack for the 1.1 and… likely another pick or two. While you’re not getting the freakish athleticism of a Clowney, you may be getting a better all-around football player and locker room presence. If you don’t like Mack there or if he isn’t available Justin Gilbert will be on the board. Like what I’ve seen and heard from O’Brien, he has a good track record at the QB position in terms of development. Whatever they do, they need to get it right.
Rozelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #598
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozelle View Post
If O’Brien and Smith believe Mallett can be their franchise QB, then trading for him makes the most sense. True O’Brien hasn’t been around Mallett the past couple years, however coach Godsey has. They should have a good feel there. I would not think the Texans would want to give the 2.33 for Mallett, that’s too much. Under the new draft structure the 2.33 has become very valuable. If they can’t get him for a three, they can look at trading back and getting a two as part of the package compensation, and use it on a Mallett trade.
By trading down you’ll likely miss out on Clowney, but not sure Texans want to invest a top five pick, some $15-$20 million guaranteed on a player with questionable work habits. How hard is he going to be willing to work once he gets all that coin? Sure you’ll have Watt and Cushing to push him, but will he respond? WTS… I’m sure the Texans brass has a pretty good feel for Clowney after they interviewed him at the Combine.
If looking for defense, better option may be trading down say with Minnesota at the 1.8 and draft a guy like Khalil Mack. Something like this would land them Mallett (2nd round pick from trading down) and Mack for the 1.1 and… likely another pick or two. While you’re not getting the freakish athleticism of a Clowney, you may be getting a better all-around football player and locker room presence. If you don’t like Mack there or if he isn’t available Justin Gilbert will be on the board. Like what I’ve seen and heard from O’Brien, he has a good track record at the QB position in terms of development. Whatever they do, they need to get it right.
Would you be willing to draft Clowney 1-1, draft an OT like Morgan Moses 2-1, then trade a 3-4 to get a 2nd rd pick and use the 2nd rd (Pick 20) pick to get Mallett?
Old 02-26-2014   #599
Rozelle
Rookie

Rep Power: 599 Rozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respected

I think teams feel the 1.1 needs to be a player with a high floor, high ceiling and minimal risk. I don't see that with any of the QBs or with Clowney. Obviously the interview process is very important, I think especially in Clowney's case. How well or how poorly he interviewed, we simply don't know.

How well Romeo and the gang feel Clowney fits, not sure of that either. They may say he fits great and all that, but who know how much is just draft talk. Clowney seems to best suited as DE in a 40 front. With what I've seen and heard so far from Clowney in terms of his interviews and such, it would be very difficult pulling the trigger at the 1.1. But it's still early.

I think Watkins, Matthews and Robinson are much safer 1.1 picks. Texans are vested in Duane Brown long term, doubt they want to go OT at 1.1

Unless they fall in love with one of these QBs, or Clowney erases any doubts, I see them trading down.
Rozelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #600
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater.

They don't over-think it. Take the best QB in the draft.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read