Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

View Poll Results: Who would be your #1 pick?
Clowney DE 23 21.90%
Mack OLB 3 2.86%
Bridgewater QB 40 38.10%
Manziel QB 16 15.24%
Bortles QB 6 5.71%
Watkins WR 3 2.86%
Matthews OT 4 3.81%
Robinson OT 10 9.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2014   #81
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would be your #1 choice?

I'm as confused now as I was going into the combine........ My head's all tied up like a pretzel! I got a pretzel in my head!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #82
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I'm as confused now as I was going into the combine........ My head's all tied up like a pretzel! I got a pretzel in my head!
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #83
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well , the two guy's Im most interested in skipped parts of the process.

I do find it funny that some around here stated that Manziel is off their list for deciding not to throw .... but haven't made the same statements after Bridgewater did the same as well as skipped .... everything but the 40.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #84
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Well , the two guy's Im most interested in skipped parts of the process.

I do find it funny that some around here stated that Manziel is off their list for deciding not to throw .... but haven't made the same statements after Bridgewater did the same as well as skipped .... everything but the 40.
I would have liked to see everyone compete, but its still so early in the process. The problem is that none of these guys has really separated themselves from the pack and likely won't before the draft.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would have liked to see everyone compete, but its still so early in the process. The problem is that none of these guys has really separated themselves from the pack and likely won't before the draft.
I used those exact words a couple months ago .... they still hold true.

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom to one of these teams that falls in love with that 's 40 time and take an OT with the first rounder , then pick up one of the second tier of QB's in Garoppolo , Mettenberger or McCarron (In order of preference) and still have a pick or two to spend elsewhere.

Say we trade with Cleveland for 4 , 26 , 35 & 71.

#4 - Robinson or Zack Martin
#26 - C.J. Mosley
#33 - David Yankey
#35 - Garoppolo
#65 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste (CB Nebraska)
#71 - C.J. Fiedorowicz

That fixes a whole lot of problems in a hurry.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-25-2014   #86
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting To lean towards Robinson. And this after I argued with Badboy that you don't take a RT with number one.
Old 02-25-2014   #87
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom to one of these teams that falls in love with that 's 40 time and take an OT with the first rounder , then pick up one of the second tier of QB's in Garoppolo , Mettenberger or McCarron (In order of preference) and still have a pick or two to spend elsewhere.
^^^ this

a month or so ago i was hoping by this time i would have a pretty concrete opinion on my number 1. unfortunately I'm still not there yet and I'm not sure if ill get there by the time the draft comes around.

Ideal scenario is trading down
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #88
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm starting To lean towards Robinson. And this after I argued with Badboy that you don't take a RT with number one.
word of advise, never argue with BB he will beat you down

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #89
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm pulling for everyone really but man crush has to go to big Greg Robinson. Love his passion, feel for the game, upside, work ethic, intelligence, movement skills per position, fills huge roster void, bpa, road grader, mauler, size & strength elite for position, tandem with Brooks awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5EGl-iz4_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqn4CS-AmAs

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-25-2014   #90
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Remember when I got crucified way early in the process when discussing Matthews @ #1 for the same reasons ?!

Take a look at my post just a few above this one ....

Quote:

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom to one of these teams that falls in love with Clowney's 40 time and take an OT with the first rounder

I just haven't been able to find any separation between Bridgewater & Manziel while both have significant bust possibilities that make them a huge risk @ #1 and by the numbers , they aren't that far ahead of the second tier

I'm right back where I started .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-25-2014   #91
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
yeeessss... join us....

We must fix the trenches
Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #92
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Im to the point where I'd trade back a few spots for a kings ransom....
I'm starting to wonder if there is a player in this draft worth a king's ransom. If there isn't, what's plan B?
Old 02-25-2014   #93
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because we might start him at RT doesn't make him a RT. Just 4 years ago we were talking about the Badass that is Brian Cushing & how we wanted him to be a Texan forever. Then last year we're discussing what a mistake it was to extend his contract.

NFL... right?
Old 02-25-2014   #94
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
yeeessss... join us....

We must fix the trenches
Search your feelings, you KNOW it to be true
What kind of cookies????
Old 02-25-2014   #95
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Just because we might start him at RT doesn't make him a RT. Just 4 years ago we were talking about the Badass that is Brian Cushing & how we wanted him to be a Texan forever. Then last year we're discussing what a mistake it was to extend his contract.

NFL... right?
There are several points that make it easier to swallow drafting a OT. New wage scale, need, his potential, longevity of position, importance of position, the fact that Brown had his worst year since his rookie season last year and the fCt that he is at worst tied for being the best prospect in this draft.

And yes IMO he starts immediately at RT and is Browns future replacement.
Old 02-25-2014   #96
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I must admit, after watching and listening to more of Clowney I'm becoming less impressed.

Having said that, I'd still take him, Watkins or one of the two T's over any of the QBs. I think Mack is even moving up closer to the group.

I'd be ok with grabbing any QB O'Brien likes at 2.1. Just no QBs at 1.1 please.
Old 02-25-2014   #97
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
And yes IMO he starts immediately at RT and is Browns future replacement.
I don't doubt that. But if they have a true competition, depending on what ever our new offensive "system" without a system is... who's to say Brown's the best fit at LT?

I'm a Duane Brown fan, don't get me wrong. But I know there are better LTs in the league (may not be many) & there will be better LTs enter the league every year... at least OTs with the ability to be better.

I agree with everyone else, if we're drafting a guy with a ceiling of RT, we shouldn't take him with the #1 overall pick. But if this guy has potential to be a LT, a franchise LT... yeah, you take him.

Granted, if there were a franchise QB there I'd take him instead. But next to QB, a franchise LT will make this team better than any other position available.. jmo of course.
Old 02-25-2014   #98
beerlover
Site Contributor

the key word in this title thread is "your" #1 choice, not necessarily what Texans, Rick Smith or Bill O'Brian will do. rest assured, they will not select Robinson #1 overall. if Rick Smith is unable to work a trade down, he needs to be fired, real talk. If Texans are unable to trade down just watch St. Louis turn that pick into another extra first & still grab Matthews.... Texans need a QB, just don't see maximum value taking Bridgewater (my top QB choice) #1 overall.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-25-2014   #99
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
if Rick Smith is unable to work a trade down, he needs to be fired, real talk. If Texans are unable to trade down just watch St. Louis turn that pick into another extra first & still grab Matthews...
Yeah, I'd just take the stance of getting the same compensation as a team would give for the #2 if I can't get a bidding war.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #100
mussop
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yeah, I'd just take the stance of getting the same compensation as a team would give for the #2 if I can't get a bidding war.
The price depends on how far down we are willing to move. Where does the elite talent drop off at?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read