Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-24-2014   #561
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: So .... Who's your QB in 2014 ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Jets supposedly interested in Josh McGowen.
Since we're bringing up Josh McGowen...
We're talking about McCown right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
still, a lot of people are talking QBs outside of the draft who are either over the hill or have almost no experience (see Mallet, Ryan -Less of a connection with O'Brian than McGloin).
I don't have a problem with your McGloin idea. But I don't understand the "almost no experience" thing with Mallet. "If" O'Brien were our coach 3 years ago, we drafted Mallet in the third (because at the time Matt didn't need immediate replacement) he'd be "ready" to start now & everything would have been going according to plan.

As it is, we didn't draft him. But OB did. It's almost, kinda, sorta the same thing. "We" were coming unglued waiting for Case to get his first start & he had less on-field time than Mallet, & less time understudying the starting QB.

Mallet's got size, arm, pedigree... everything you want, save NFL experience. I hate the if we do get him, it would mean we'll most likely give up our second & sign him to a starting contract... but not playing the last three years doesn't bother me one bit.... dang sure no more than it bothered the Packer fans who gave the boot to a living legend.
Old 02-24-2014   #562
Mr.Scarface
Rookie

Rep Power: 1714 Mr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respectedMr.Scarface is a quality contributor and well respected

Explain to me why you think Mallet is good? He has done SQUAT in 3 years.
Mr.Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #563
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
Doing squat behind Tom Brady means SQUAT.
Old 02-24-2014   #564
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Scarface View Post
I don't know that Mallet is "good" I'm comparing him to Case Keenum.

I'm not saying we should give a second for him & actually said if OB decides to get him, I hate that it will probably cost us our 2nd round pick & a starters contract.

Explain to me why you think I think Mallet is good. (<-- if that were a question, I'd have used a question mark).
Old 02-24-2014   #565
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I still can't believe Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were had as free agents. Ridiculous.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #566
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't know that Mallet is "good" I'm comparing him to Case Keenum.

I'm not saying we should give a second for him & actually said if OB decides to get him, I hate that it will probably cost us our 2nd round pick & a starters contract.

Explain to me why you think I think Mallet is good. (<-- if that were a question, I'd have used a question mark).
surely if we did get mallet its because OB pushed for it or at least endorsed it.
therefore i wouldn't be opposed to it because he clearly knows more about mallet than i do.

That being the case from what i see i would rather go with someone else in FA or the draft.

Mallets contract is a real nuisance for me
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #567
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

witfk know's? free agency must play a role otherwise Texans could be making another colossal mistake

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #568
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Patriots don't want a third for him then I tell them to kick rocks. That's the best I'm offering. O'Brien's been away for 2 years so he's guessing for the most part on his progress. I also understand that you want to get a player for a while if you give up a pick, but why is it a necessity to extend him right away?
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #569
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

no one I hope we tank hardcore !!!

look at jags did going into last year there QB's were

Gabberrt and CHad henne

yup that's who they were rockin with week 1 so they prob knew in there mind whats up LOL

so I say lets just roll with Keenum and Matt
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #570
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
If the Patriots don't want a third for him then I tell them to kick rocks. That's the best I'm offering. O'Brien's been away for 2 years so he's guessing for the most part on his progress. I also understand that you want to get a player for a while if you give up a pick, but why is it a necessity to extend him right away?
Personally I'm willing to offer two thirds. This year's & next. I'll even make next years a conditional depending on how Mallet plays.

If you're asking me about extending him, I explained. It's a gamble. If OB feels good enough to bring him in for a 2nd, I assume he expects him to play well enough to earn a starter's contract.... 8 to 10 million a year (which is not top QB money). They should extend him that contract now, rather than Mallet have a Kaepernick type year & have to pay him a Tony Romo type contract after 1 good year.
Old 02-25-2014   #571
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 36157 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I still can't believe Drew Brees and Peyton Manning were had as free agents. Ridiculous.
Brees? Really? I guess people forget about the Schaub-like career he had in San Diego along with the major shoulder surgery in the off season before NO signed him as a FA. He didn't beccome the Drew Brees that he is today until a few years into his Saints stint. At the time, he was a major risk. Luckily for NO, it paid off for them.

But it is a bit of revisionist history to imply that the Super Bowl winning big stats QB was what was on the market and the Texans were stupid to pass on him.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #572
BigBull
Veteran

Rep Power: 3761 BigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post

Not really guessing when the Texans new qb coach has been there.

Sent from the future...
BigBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #573
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull View Post
Not really guessing when the Texans new qb coach has been there.

Sent from the future...
It's kinda funny, when you think about it, all the ties we've got to the players in this draft/off-season

QB coach: New England's TE coach: Mallet
S&C coach: South Carolina: Clowney
Dj Swagg: South Carolina: Clowney
O'Connel: New England: Manziel
O'Leary: UCF: Bortles

I'm sure there's more & I'm sure something like that is always true. Don't know why I picked up on it this time.
Old 02-25-2014   #574
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77990 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Everyone trading picks and even more so , multiple picks, for Mallet do realize he is a free agent after this season right?

Why?
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #575
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Everyone trading picks and even more so , multiple picks, for Mallet do realize he is a free agent after this season right?

Why?
To get the guy you want now?

You do realize that is the case almost every time a trade gets made right?
Old 02-25-2014   #576
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77990 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
To get the guy you want now?

You do realize that is the case almost every time a trade gets made right?
Makes no sense. Trade picks now on a team that has numerous holes for ab guy you can get next season basically for no picks?

Insanity
Old 02-25-2014   #577
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 27227 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow! All of this talk about Ryan Mallet and trading high draft picks simply because OB might have had something to do with Mallet being drafted, and Mallet has been "learning" behind Tom Brady.

News Flash! Just because you hung out with Paul McCartney doesn't mean you wrote "Yesterday."

My philosophy was simpler and more effective, in my opinion (even if we are just talking out of are collective asses).

The Raiders are going to deal Terrelle Pryor or Matt McGloin and Dennis Allen wants a QB, sitting there with the #5 pick in the draft. I'd rather give up a 5th/6th round pick for Matt McGloin - who not only has shown to have been a steal - but also McGloin has had real one-on-one game time experience with Bill O'Brian at Penn State, not to mention more on-field experience than Ryan Mallet. McGloin is simply a safer bet, hypothetical or not, when it comes to familiarity with O'Brian and his system, which is NOT Patriots 2.0.

1.) Take Clowney 1.1, thus dropping other QBs to the Jags, Browns, Raiders. Fair!

2.) In the 2nd round we'll still have our pick of QBs in Garappolo, McCarron, Mettenberger, etc

Now we have 2 QBs to go along with Keenum, the best Defensive player in the draft, and we'll have our choice of OT/DT in the top of the 3rd.

Mallet = too risky, unbloodied, grasping at straws, crap contract, too high of a trade pick.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #578
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Makes no sense. Trade picks now on a team that has numerous holes for ab guy you can get next season basically for no picks?

Insanity
A - that loses his use this year and a year off his career. B - you can't guarantee you can get him on the open market next year whereas a trade means he's yours. C - the purpose of picks is ... to acquire players which is what a trade accomplishes.

Totally sane.

I guess the Niners were insane to trade for Anquan Boldin, the Patriots for Aqib Talib, the Chiefs for Alex Smith, etc.
Old 02-25-2014   #579
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
A - that loses his use this year and a year off his career. B - you can't guarantee you can get him on the open market next year whereas a trade means he's yours. C - the purpose of picks is ... to acquire players which is what a trade accomplishes.

Totally sane.

I guess the Niners were insane to trade for Anquan Boldin, the Patriots for Aqib Talib, the Chiefs for Alex Smith, etc.
The Niners and Pats didn't have a ton of holes and were contenders. Smith had shown something the prior year.

You want to send picks for a player who has done jack and squat in 3 years
Old 02-25-2014   #580
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
The Niners and Pats didn't have a ton of holes and were contenders. Smith had shown something the prior year.

You want to send picks for a player who has done jack and squat in 3 years
Every team has tons of holes and the Pats sure as heck did. They were filling a hole with Talib and they filled another hole with another trade to get Blount.

Sounds like you are attempting to run down trades because you don't like Mallett. Backup QBs rarely have an opportunity to show anything. It's not the same as being a backup RB like Tate.

Brett Favre was 0 for 4 with 2 INTs - turned out OK.
Steve Young went from slag to HoF sitting behind Montana.

And folks can hate this all they want but Schaub became a top third of the league QB pre-injury from being a backup.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read