Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-06-2014   #561
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: O'Brien & His Coaching Staffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
So basically we've got a college coaching staff for the first time coaching an NFL team. Anybody a little nervous about that experiment ?
I'll be nervous when they start doing stupid stuff.

At this point, they haven't had time to be stupid.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #562
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Our OC and DC are NFL vets at those very positions.
The DC is certainly a long-time NFL Vet coach, but the OC is also a rookie NFL HC. Then there's the DLine coach holdover from the Kubiak regime, but who else has NFL coaching experience on the staff ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #563
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The DC is certainly a long-time NFL Vet coach, but the OC is also a rookie NFL HC. Then there's the DLine coach holdover from the Kubiak regime, but who else has NFL coaching experience on the staff ?
Most of them:

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com...4-f854e4cc6749
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #564
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is Jim Leavitt?

Do you know Kris Richard?

How about Tyke Tolbert? Geep Christ? Al Holcomb? Mike Groh?

Does the fact that you have to Google them have any bearing on whether they're good at their job or not?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #565
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86936 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
O-Line Coach
QB Coach
ST Coach
Receivers Coach
RB Coach
Asst. Strength and Conditioning Coach

Throw in the fact that two of the assistants with no NFL coaching experience have NFL playing experience, and add in the three coaches you already mentioned, and hopefully there's enough NFL experience on board for them to find their way.

And echoing an earlier comment that some new (to the NFL) blood could be refreshing, consider that the asst. coach who may have generated the most excitement on this board (Mike Vrabel) has no NFL coaching experience, and the one who appears to have generated the most skepticism - if not out and out dislike - (Paul Dunn) has spent the past six seasons coaching the Atlanta Falcons.
Old 02-06-2014   #566
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Know what? Screw it!

Fire BOB! Bring back Kubiak!
DX-TEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #567
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Know what? Screw it!

Fire BOB! Bring back Kubiak!

You beat me to it. I was gonna post the same thing.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #568
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the way the defensive staff shaped up. I'm interested to see what Vrabel can do with the LB corps. That is, once we have them all. Butler seems to know what he's doing when it comes to secondary. From what I've read on him.

To me, the offensive staff is a huge unknown. I'm not too excited about the Dunn hire, but the rest are mysteries.

I just hope O'Brien's not biting off more than he can chew as an NFL newbie HC.
Old 02-07-2014   #569
Nitrofish
Pastafarian

Rep Power: 72899 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Nitrofish

Quote:
So basically we've got a college coaching staff for the first time coaching an NFL team. Anybody a little nervous about that experiment ?
Hey you guys wanted a fresh new staff, and I think you got it. Too late to back out now. The way the Texans played last year, I can think of a number of College teams who could have beat them, so things can only get better.

I think the bigger question is what does the staff look like and coach like in year 2 and 3. Anyone expecting a Super Bowl turn around this year is more than a bit optimistic if not delusional.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #570
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans are even half-assed next season you're not going to care where the coaching staff came from because it'll be an improvement over last year. Really the eye opening will probably come around this time next year, and if any of the coaching staff is let go because of their unit underperforming. I'm not very thrilled that O'Brien wants to be the OC and HC on his first gig, but having a guy like Crennel on the other side should give him some leeway in that regard.
Old 02-07-2014   #571
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5748 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

So, how many teams with a staff of NFL experienced coaches miss the playoffs every year? I don't need experience, I need results. I say more power to 'em.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #572
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Mike Vrabel might be, under the tutelage of Romeo Crennel, the long term answer for the DC position in Houston, according to NFL Insiders (ESPN)...
  • "Vrabel was the smartest player I've ever been around in my time in the NFL," Field Yates.

• "I could say without question that he, [Vrabel], was the smartest defensive football player I ever played with," Tedy Bruschi.

• He was known for his athleticism and leadership. He played with an edge, yet was perhaps defined by his intelligence. Holley wrote how coaches were continually surprised at the amazing recall Vrabel had of formations and tendencies of opponents.

“During his Patriots career, there was no player more respected for his football intellect and revered for his leadership by his teammates than Mike,” Belichick said in a statement Monday. “He was elected a team captain by his peers and is a player who I think everyone knew was destined to become a coach after his NFL playing career was over.

“Mike Vrabel is as well-suited for coaching as any player I have ever coached. He has a tremendous feel for people, players, coaches and what his team needs regardless of the situation. He is outstanding in his knowledge of the game, which contributed to his excellence as a player. I have no doubt Mike will develop tough, intelligent, fundamentally sound winners.”

• “He is a champion in every sense of the word and I’m confident all of these qualities will make him a great coach,” Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli said Monday. “I cannot overstate my respect for him as a person and a football player. If there were a Hall of Champions, Mike Vrabel would be a first ballot selection. ”
Who's in the dawg house???

Old 02-24-2014   #573
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, no doubt the grouping of Crennel, Kollar and Vrabel is pretty damn exciting.

You'd have to think we will see marked improvement out of the front 7 which should, consequently, make the secondary's life easier.
Old 04-14-2014   #574
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

JJ Watt ‏@JJWatt
Quote:
This is phenomenal. -> “@DoughertyDrew: Of course Bill Kollar wrestled a bear. This video http://bit.ly/1iOcmCR is worth your 3 minutes.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7zuHa0JWKE
Old 04-14-2014   #575
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was awesome.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #576
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was funny.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #577
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Yep, no doubt the grouping of Crennel, Kollar and Vrabel is pretty damn exciting.

You'd have to think we will see marked improvement out of the front 7 which should, consequently, make the secondary's life easier.
I'm excited to see what the LB corps is going to look like this season. Can you imagine the beast Cush will be with Vrabel coaching him?? I bet we see a drastic improvement across the board. Especially Reed. I see him moving inside and tearing it up.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #578
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That was fun to watch. Thanks for posting it!
Old 05-12-2014   #579
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
If Reed does finally make the move for good to inside linebacker, he feels confident under the supervision of Crennel and Mike Vrabel, the former All-Pro linebacker-turned-position coach.

They are pretty tremendous,” Reed said of Crennel and Vrabel. “They know a lot about the game. Not only that, they are great teachers of the game as well and they just want the players to learn and hold us responsible.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/ar...f-815a60155537
Old 05-20-2014   #580
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Or for [QBs coach George "Goose"] Godsey, who will get to be his own man under O'Brien.

"I think it's important as a leader, as the head football coach, that everybody knows what you want," O'Brien said. "But I'm a firm believer in (hiring) these guys to coach, to let them coach. They each have their own style, their own way of communicating. I had a great experience coaching (Godsey). He'll go down in Georgia Tech history as one of the best quarterbacks to ever play there. It was fun to coach him because he was a really smart guy, and then when he got into coaching, we obviously kept in touch and formed even more of a friendship. He's doing a good job out there."

Having most previously worked together on Bill Belichick's staff at New England in 2011 - O'Brien was the quarterbacks coach and Godsey an offensive assistant - they first got to know each other well after Godsey became Tech's starting quarterback in 2001 with O'Brien serving as the offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. It proved a productive partnership. Over two seasons, Godsey won 17 of 25 starts, leading the team to back-to-back bowls, and threw for 41 touchdowns, achievements that gained him a place in Tech's sports hall of fame.

Further, O'Brien inspired an interest in coaching for him. Godsey calls his boss "a role model." The way he interacts with Savage on the Texans' practice field probably looks much like the way O'Brien interacted with him back in the day in Atlanta.

"When Billy was coaching me, he was very demanding," Godsey said. "And he's demanding of me as a coach. He knows what he wants, and he's straightforward about it. Neither of us is going to sugarcoat anything. We're going to be straightforward with the players and let them know what they need to be doing."
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spor...QB-5488137.php

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read