Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-23-2014   #321
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
...I seriously doubt it'll drop that much, either way, he ran what the coaches were expecting to see.
I had him pegged at 4.65 and that's about what I expect his official time to be. It makes no difference to me. He could have run a 4.3 and I still wouldn't want to draft him. My stance is known. Good luck to him but on another team, I hope.

The Aggies that I have to deal with on a daily basis who have been telling me for weeks that he will run a 4.4 just made my Monday that much easier. This Manziel thing is going to play out just like it did with VY and it's going to be cumbersome the entire time for the rest of us.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #322
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Watkins first 40 attempt: 4.34 unofficial
Watkins second attempt: 4.37 unofficial
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #323
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _King_ View Post
I'm disappointed bridgewater chose not to run. Not a good look.
He'll run on his pro day (once he's taken all that weight off).
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #324
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Is it more competitive than the 39 actual college games he QBed in? It's just not going to make a difference in when and where he's drafted. The things we don't get to see (interviews, medicals) could make a difference.
I didn't say anything about more competitive. But it's a different kind of competitive since you are going up against people playing your same position. Did you play sports in highschool or college and go to some kind of drills camp? Or even inter squad workouts? It's competition. It's very good competition because you're measuring yourself against someone who does what you do which doesn't happen that often.

And the rest of your post is opinion and that's it. I don't know that it will, I don't know that it won't. But I could see a team marking it as a negative that he said he was going to do something but then opted out. Meanwhile you have manziel competing in at least some of the events.

Really you don't know what teams will take a guy off their board for anymore than anyone else. If two guys are close little things like that could sbsolutely matter.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #325
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Folks - you are looking at decisions by these guys' advisors.
Playoffs has an adviser?
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #326
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Bridgewater could have tested other than interview only (which he killed). Seems to be the most cerebral QB who is sticking to his game plan & carefully scripting what he does when he does it. Nothing wrong with that but hope O'Brian can land a veteran with experience, ready to go then develop talent @ QB position later in draft & take BPA early with first three picks.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #327
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
how can you call yourself the best qb then refuse to throw or run along with having the worst competition among Manziel and bortles?

and that's the guy you want leading your franchise?
You don't like RGIII, Andrew Luck, or Sam Bradford?

None of those guys threw at the Combine, either.

It's disappointing but it's not a big deal and it's to be expected.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #328
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Watkins second attempt: 4.37 unofficial
I really like this guy, but with Hopkins and AJ can't imagine how we could draft a WR with our 1.1 even though he's in the conversation along with Clowney and the 3 OTs as the best position prospect in the Draft.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #329
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
If he's noticeably smaller that won't be great either.

I'm fine with him running at pro day...throwing and all that stuff.

Really, had he not come out and said he'd run it wouldn't have rubbed me the wrong way.

I wouldn't say it's a major knock and never said that. But to me it's just not a good look.
Old 02-23-2014   #330
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I really like this guy, but with Hopkins and AJ can't imagine how we could draft a WR with our 1.1 even though he's in the conversation along with Clowney and the 3 OTs as the best position prospect in the Draft.
He'd help the team next year for sure. Watkins as a slot receiver would be a pretty big mismatch in every game.
Old 02-23-2014   #331
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He'd help the team next year for sure. Watkins as a slot receiver would be a pretty big mismatch in every game.
He didn't run a lot of routes over the middle at Clemson. I would play him outside and play AJ in the slot. AJ has lost a step so you can take advantage of his size and route running ability in the slot a lot like Baltimore and San Francisco did with Boldin the last few years.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #332
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
Not saying you're implying this, but if you take Watkins at 1.1 Hopkins is likely the third WR.

Not saying when all three are on the field Watkins wouldn't be the slot guy, but I'd doubt it.
Old 02-23-2014   #333
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He didn't run a lot of routes over the middle at Clemson. I would play him outside and play AJ in the slot. AJ has lost a step so you can take advantage of his size and route running ability in the slot a lot like Baltimore and San Francisco did with Boldin the last few years.
Either way, his presence inside or outside creates a mismatch that favors our offense.

Quote:
Not saying you're implying this, but if you take Watkins at 1.1 Hopkins is likely the third WR.

Not saying when all three are on the field Watkins wouldn't be the slot guy, but I'd doubt it.
I think you put whoever is best at each position at that position. Your #3 best receiver isn't automatically the guy you want in the slot.
Old 02-23-2014   #334
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
have they taken the wonderlic?

in terms of intelligence i think scoring high on wonderlic is better than scoring high on interviews which is basically nothing but a date situation where you lie about yourself to make yourself look better.

what are the wonderlic scores for bortles, manziel, and bridgewater?
Here are some of the highest QB Wonderlic scores...show me the great players among them.

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2005 Harvard 48
Greg McElroy 2011 Alabama 43
Jason Maas 1999 Oregon 43
Blaine Gabbert 2011 Missouri 42
Drew Henson 2000 Michigan 42
Bruce Eugene 2006 Grambling State 41
Hugh Millen 1986 Washington 41
Link
Old 02-23-2014   #335
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Nobody cares if TB runs a 4.8 or a 4.9, he's not a running QB. If he's lighter that would go against what he said in his interview that he was going to get back up to his sophomore playing weight at 222 lbs. We'll see.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #336
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

for me so far its: Greg Robinson, OT, 6050 332 then Sammy Watkins, WR, 6006 211 & Jake Matthews, OT, 6054 308. waiting on rest (DL, DB & LB to test).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #337
_King_
All Pro

Quote:
I think you put whoever is best at each position at that position. Your #3 best receiver isn't automatically the guy you want in the slot.
Not what I said.
Old 02-23-2014   #338
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not what I said.
I know, I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-23-2014   #339
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
for me so far its: Greg Robinson, OT, 6050 332 then Sammy Watkins, WR, 6006 211 & Jake Matthews, OT, 6054 308. waiting on rest (DL, DB & LB to test).
Right now, I'm leaning this way:
1. Watkins
2. Robinson
3. Matthews

We'll see how that changes.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014   #340
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Nobody cares if TB runs a 4.8 or a 4.9, he's not a running QB. If he's lighter that would go against what he said in his interview that he was going to get back up to his sophomore playing weight at 222 lbs. We'll see.
Will they really re-measure at the Pro day? (honest question)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read