Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2014   #2461
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
dissack is a huge Manziel fan and Corrosion likes Manziel best of the top 3. Y'all are off base.
I believe in honest evaluation. It wasn't as polished an interview as I would've hoped (you can be sure his advisers weren't thrilled and are polishing him for the one-on-ones).

To paraphrase the good doctor "He's not exactly MENSA material". That can be said of most great QBs though. I'm wondering if we'll get this year's Wonderlic results soon.

Bridgewater's is the Gold standard thus far among the top choices for interview.
Old 02-23-2014   #2462
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

4.63 and 4.56.

Very good numbers. He's in the kapernick wilson range which means his speed and athleticism are real and he can out run NFL defenses.

Looking at game film vs the best competition college football had to offer should have been enough for people but i digress....

I hope bob mcnair pulls rank on obrien and personally orders the selection of manziel. This franchise needs to be saved from cocky know it all GMs and head coaches.
Old 02-23-2014   #2463
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
4.63 and 4.56.

Very good numbers. He's in the kapernick wilson range which means his speed and athleticism are real and he can out run NFL defenses.

Looking at game film vs the best competition college football had to offer should have been enough for people but i digress....

I hope bob mcnair pulls rank on obrien and personally orders the selection of manziel. This franchise needs to be saved from cocky know it all GMs and head coaches.
Says the cocky know it all message board poster.
Old 02-23-2014   #2464
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
4.63 and 4.56.

LOL so McNair knows enough about football to be in charge of our draft but not enough to hire his own GM or HC? Sounds like this will end well for us...
Old 02-23-2014   #2465
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I believe in honest evaluation.
I was merely pointing out you and Corrosion are not Manziel haters as was being stated.
Old 02-23-2014   #2466
Lord Bills
Destruction

Rep Power: 2290 Lord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respectedLord Bills is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Says the cocky know it all message board poster.
if you are a message board poster, chances are you have a cocky know it all persona.

That's what message boards are for.

The difference is we are not running a football team so our cocky know it all attitude has no consequence unlike a cocky know it all GM and head coach who obrien seems to be judging what we know about him so far.
Old 02-23-2014   #2467
Lord Bills
Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
LOL so McNair knows enough about football to be in charge of our draft but not enough to hire his own GM or HC? Sounds like this will end well for us...
he's not picking some unknown kid off the street.

He's picking from Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater. Guys who are projected by everyone in the nfl to be the top 3 qbs and all top 10 overall talent.

as an owner, You listen to your head coaches, GM, what the nfl analysts are saying then you weigh all that and make decision if you choose to involve yourself. If I paid hundreds of millions heck billions for a sports team, i would want my opinion to be heard and matter.
Old 02-23-2014   #2468
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
if you are a message board poster, chances are you have a cocky know it all persona.

That's what message boards are for.

The difference is we are not running a football team so our cocky know it all attitude has no consequence unlike a cocky know it all GM and head coach who obrien seems to be judging what we know about him so far.
What do you know about either that makes you say they are cocky know it alls?
Old 02-23-2014   #2469
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
he's not picking some unknown kid off the street.

He's picking from Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater. Guys who are projected by everyone in the nfl to be the top 3 qbs and all top 10 overall talent.

as an owner, You listen to your head coaches, GM, what the nfl analysts are saying then you weigh all that and make decision if you choose to involve yourself. If I paid hundreds of millions heck billions for a sports team, i would want my opinion to be heard and matter.
And there's the difference between Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft.

If I paid billions for a sports team I would hire the best men possible to make the best decisions.
Old 02-23-2014   #2470
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I paid hundreds of millions heck billions for a sports team, i would want my opinion to be heard and matter.
I agree. It's worked out great for Jerryworld.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-23-2014   #2471
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If I paid billions for a sports team I would hire the best men possible to make the best decisions.
Unless you're a billionaire playing Madden.

Then you get in there and get your hands dirty like Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
Old 02-23-2014   #2472
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was merely pointing out you and Corrosion are not Manziel haters as was being stated.
Don't worry, we know each other too well for me to get butt-hurt over pre-draft stuff!

I don't hate any of the top three.

I think Manziel's biggest strength is also his biggest weakness...his improvisational skill.
Old 02-23-2014   #2473
Lord Bills
Destruction

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
I agree. It's worked out great for Jerryworld.
it has. dallas has a great fanbase. a great stadium. a great franchise. they have superbowls. who was the owner when they won the superbowls?

jerry jones. Id rather have an involved owner than an owner who is totally oblivious and just lets people he blindly trust run rampant which is basically what happened during the kubiak era.

That's even an extreme example you are trying to use to win an argument. I never said McNair should be as involved as jerry jones to the point of being the actual GM.

Be involved, do your homework, listen, then if you feel like you have to over rule the GM or coach, you step in and do it.

That's the mark of a great owner. Similar to what Les Alexander is. Cuban and jones are too involved, robert kraft is a great example of an owner who is involved but too much that it hurts the team.
Old 02-23-2014   #2474
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
it has. dallas has a great fanbase. a great stadium. a great franchise. they have superbowls. who was the owner when they won the superbowls?

jerry jones. Id rather have an involved owner than an owner who is totally oblivious and just lets people he blindly trust run rampant which is basically what happened during the kubiak era.

That's even an extreme example you are trying to use to win an argument. I never said McNair should be as involved as jerry jones to the point of being the actual GM.

Be involved, do your homework, listen, then if you feel like you have to over rule the GM or coach, you step in and do it.

That's the mark of a great owner. Similar to what Les Alexander is. Cuban and jones are too involved, robert kraft is a great example of an owner who is involved but too much that it hurts the team.
Guys like Al Davis and Jerry Jones were great for their respective franchises at the beginning. But then the game moved passed them and they had too much ego to bring in people smarter than they were to come in and make decisions.

There is nothing wrong with an owner who wants to be involved. But they have to understand where the line is. If you hire a guy to make decisions you can't step on his toes. There's a difference between blind trust and hiring people who you believe are up to the job and letting them make decisions. If they make bad decisions then you replace them.

I'm sure Kraft makes his opinions known. But do you think he overrules the people that he has hired to make those calls if they disagree?
Old 02-23-2014   #2475
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78460 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel with an official 4.68, 4th best at QB this year.

Not bad for a QB, but still kinda funny considering how many people thought he was blazing a sub-4.5

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-23-2014   #2476
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

The Rooneys tend to step back and let their front office and coaching staff run the show. Pittsburgh has done pretty well using that model.
Old 02-23-2014   #2477
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A - Dallas won SBs and was a dominate team for decades before Jerry Jones. Remember the whole America's team thing?

B - The SBs won while he was owner were before he started meddling.
Old 02-23-2014   #2478
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
B - The SBs won while he was owner were before he started meddling.
This. He started meddling because he wasn't getting credit for the titles. Jimmy Johnson was. So he fired Jimmy Johnson.

- The Immortal Bo
Old 02-23-2014   #2479
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Whatever they do, I guarantee none of us will see it coming.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014   #2480
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, because you never want the guys you hire to make football decisions actually make football decisions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read