Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-22-2014   #41
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ot... Og

Lewan looks great in shorts. I'll have to rewatch any of his tape that I can find. He didn't look this athletic to me during games.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #42
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81420 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Lewan looks great in shorts. I'll have to rewatch any of his tape that I can find. He didn't look this athletic to me during games.
He's more athletic as a run blocker than he is as a pass blocker. Not sure why.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #43
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
He's more athletic as a run blocker than he is as a pass blocker. Not sure why.
going forward vs going backward.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Xavier Su'a-Filo another who had a good day and it showed on tape.

Seantrel Henderson had a good day but his tape showed holes.

Cyrus Kouandjio had not so great day but tape shows otherwise.

Lewan sounds fine to me in this NFL.com interview, so I'm not so sure about earlier reports from the twitterverse about his questionable podium responses. Will have to chase that down.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #45
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Let's say that's true. There have been 11 OTs selected in the top 5 over the past 10 drafts. Here's the list:

To top it off, this is a deep OT class. So, there should still be quality OTs, especially those more suited to RT, available at 2-1. If you have a team that already has a QB (not the Texans), then a Robinson or Matthews might make sense. Maybe. The Texans don't have that QB. Yet.
To say this is a deep OT class & we can find a comparable prospect in the second... I don't have an issue with that. It's the kind of mindset I would like for the Texans to take into the draft.

What I don't want is for the Texans to think, "Well, we only need a RT, let's not look at the best of the best & focus on these guys over here."

I'd rather they look at it saying, "I need a CB, a safety, a QB, a pass rusher, an OT, & a WR. How can we get the best possible talents for each position. There's only one "A+" CB in this draft, 5 "A+" OTs, 4 "B" safeties, 6 "A" QBs, 3 "A+" pass rushers, etc... We can get that A+ CB with the first pick & still get an A+ OT, or A QB with the next pick.

I don't want them to think, "Well, we need a QB, so let's take the best A QB out there."

& it's not like I'm saying let's use our 1st on an OT..... it was brought up by one member, then marginalized by another. I felt the idea wasn't as far fetched as the marginalizing member made it out to be. I started this thread saying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So assuming we take a QB with that first pick.... or a DE, who should we be looking for on the offensive line. I want a guard & a tackle. If you're high on Quessenbery, that's cool, what OT do you think will be there in the 6th, 7th, UD....

Is there a guard with high upside that can be had in the 3rd or 4th? I'm good with using a second... just need to know who's out there, who's worth checking out.
Old 02-22-2014   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I saw a game of his where I wasn't really intending to look at him, I was looking at someone else, and I kept coming back to him because I thought he was doing a really good job.

Can't remember which game it was.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #47
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Cyrus Kouandjio had not so great day but tape shows otherwise.
Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Quote:
Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Quote:
I have late 1st round grade on Cyrus Kouandjio, but no way to tell if knee issue is genuinely something teams are worried about.
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Quote:
Re: Kouandjio RT @brentsobleski: Genetic. Brother has chronic bad knees
Greg Gabriel ‏@greggabe
Quote:
WAY to early to say Kouandjio drops a lot because of knee. Every team will look at it differently. He didn't miss time and that's important

Louis Delmas also flunked some physicals because of arthritic knees. He went at top of 2nd and became a top NFL safety
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Lucas: Officially a stress fracture in his left foot

Bad news for OT Cornelius Lucas. Foot injury, out of the NFL Combine, 6-8 week rehab schedule

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-22-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2014   #48
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To say this is a deep OT class & we can find a comparable prospect in the second... I don't have an issue with that. It's the kind of mindset I would like for the Texans to take into the draft.

What I don't want is for the Texans to think, "Well, we only need a RT, let's not look at the best of the best & focus on these guys over here."

I'd rather they look at it saying, "I need a CB, a safety, a QB, a pass rusher, an OT, & a WR. How can we get the best possible talents for each position. There's only one "A+" CB in this draft, 5 "A+" OTs, 4 "B" safeties, 6 "A" QBs, 3 "A+" pass rushers, etc... We can get that A+ CB with the first pick & still get an A+ OT, or A QB with the next pick.

I don't want them to think, "Well, we need a QB, so let's take the best A QB out there."

& it's not like I'm saying let's use our 1st on an OT..... it was brought up by one member, then marginalized by another. I felt the idea wasn't as far fetched as the marginalizing member made it out to be. I started this thread saying:
Good strategy overall but one has to wonder how those needs are prioritized. Do they think that CB is a greater need than OT. Do they think that QB is a greater need than pass rusher or CB or OT? That prioritization will determine how we spend our picks; when we can gamble that the CB or OT we need will be there if we skip him and go QB or pass rusher. Further, when we "gamble" like that where can we afford to miss out? Will it hurt more to miss on a top tier OT at the expense of grabbing a top tier pass rusher. Will it hurt more to grab one of the few top tier CBs knowing that we'll have to settle for a 2nd tier QB?
I don't know.
Curious to see how other folks rank our needs and how much leeway they think there is at each position of need.
YOu know I've been singing the song of Matthews at 1-1. Maybe we can get away with a 2nd tier OT if we go Clowney or some QB at that spot.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014   #49
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Kouandjio RT @brentsobleski: Genetic. Brother has chronic bad knees
His brother has suffered through multiple knee injuries. I found that he was diagnosed as having problems related to patellar subluxation. It would be quite unusual to see this be diagnosed as "congenital" form so late. These are usually diagnosed before 6-7 years old and addressed surgically quickly before it can lead to significant adulthood problems. You can see this condition develop secondarily in knock-kneed adults that have put on large amounts of weight. Arie definitely looks knock-keed.

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014   #50
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Short shuttle great OL drill...

Ikard, Gabe 4.37

Leno Jr., Charles 4.40
Bitonio, Joel 4.44
Su'a-Filo, Xavier 4.44
Paradis, Matthew 4.46
Groy, Ryan 4.47
Matthews, Jake 4.47
Urschel, John 4.47
Lewan, Taylor 4.49

James, Ja'Wuan 4.56
Schofield, Michael 4.57
Martin, Zack 4.59

Boffeli, Conor 4.61
Richburg, Weston 4.63
Stone, James 4.63
Johnson, Wesley 4.64
Mewhort, Jack 4.64
Swanson, Travis 4.65
Bodine, Russell 4.66
Britt, Justin 4.69

Larsen, Tyler 4.70
Turner, Billy 4.71
Henderson, Seantrel 4.77
Jackson, Gabe 4.78

Edwards, Kadeem 4.82
Halapio, Jon 4.83
Richardson, Cyril 4.83
Thomas, Brandon 4.83
Kouandjio, Cyrus 4.84
Feiler, Matt 4.86
Harrison, Jonotthan 4.86
Robinson, Greg 4.86
Yankey, David 4.86
Dozier, Dakota 4.89

Moses, Morgan 4.95

Fleming, Cameron 5.00

Fulton, Zach 5.16
Old 02-26-2014   #51
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We had one of the best QBs in the league at that time as well. He was taken in the 3rd round of the NFL draft. The Seahawks just won the Super Bowl with a QB they selected in the third round.
You should really stop trying to compare us to the Seahawks thinking we can easily replicate that. Every now and then a legendary defense forms and they have wild success no matter who is under center.

Be it 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucks, or 2013 Hawks. It's generally not very sustainable and very rarely replicated. You keep chasing this pipe dream you will end with shattered dreams and lots of 'what if's'.

You want to build the best OLine in football and think you can just plug in any Yahoo at QB you will find yourself in the position of the Redskins (3 wins with 3rd best OL), Browns (4 wins with 5th best OL), or Vikings (5 wins with 6th best OL). Great QBs make great offensive lines. Great coaches compensate for poor OLines. You can't have everything, ask Cleveland AKA Trenches.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ne-rankings/4/

In 2012 the Eagles were the worst OLine ever to many people. In 2013 under a new coach and a smarter QB no one says a word about them. Same can be said for the Bears. If you only focus on protypical features you are Al Davis, and the game passed him by and he doomed a faithful fan base to many years of heartache and sadness.

Moving on...

One of the best Guards in FA is Richie Incognito, dude was a Pro Bowler and a beast. There was reason he was a team captain. We need to bring him in for the pennies he will demand and have Q and Williams and a 4th/5th rounder (my pick is JuWuan James) compete for that RT job.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #52
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
You should really stop trying to compare us to the Seahawks thinking we can easily replicate that. Every now and then a legendary defense forms and they have wild success no matter who is under center.

Be it 2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucks, or 2013 Hawks. It's generally not very sustainable and very rarely replicated. You keep chasing this pipe dream you will end with shattered dreams and lots of 'what if's'.

You want to build the best OLine in football and think you can just plug in any Yahoo at QB you will find yourself in the position of the Redskins (3 wins with 3rd best OL), Browns (4 wins with 5th best OL), or Vikings (5 wins with 6th best OL). Great QBs make great offensive lines. Great coaches compensate for poor OLines. You can't have everything, ask Cleveland AKA Trenches.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ne-rankings/4/

In 2012 the Eagles were the worst OLine ever to many people. In 2013 under a new coach and a smarter QB no one says a word about them. Same can be said for the Bears. If you only focus on protypical features you are Al Davis, and the game passed him by and he doomed a faithful fan base to many years of heartache and sadness.

Moving on...

One of the best Guards in FA is Richie Incognito, dude was a Pro Bowler and a beast. There was reason he was a team captain. We need to bring him in for the pennies he will demand and have Q and Williams and a 4th/5th rounder (my pick is JuWuan James) compete for that RT job.
I agree with most of this.

However drafting Garappolo/Murray/Mettenberger isn't just plugging in any old QB. These guys have as much talent as the top 3 guys. IMHO The only reason they may be available in the 2nd/3rd rd is (Garappolo, small school guy) (Mett/Murray, injuries.) In fact I will go out on a limb and say Mett/Murray have stronger arms/do better on the wonderlich/played in pro style offenses than, or like your boy TB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #53
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That wasn't the point of that post.
Old 02-26-2014   #54
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I agree with most of this.

However drafting Garappolo/Murray/Mettenberger isn't just plugging in any old QB. These guys have as much talent as the top 3 guys. IMHO The only reason they may be available in the 2nd/3rd rd is (Garappolo, small school guy) (Mett/Murray, injuries.) In fact I will go out on a limb and say Mett/Murray have stronger arms/do better on the wonderlich/played in pro style offenses than, or like your boy TB.
Fair enough and that is your right and I respect your rights. 'Merica!

I don't see anything sustainable or special in those guys. In the right system (A Seahawks/49ers/Cardinals) type system I think they can play QB at the NFL level. Almost every other situation I see them as flame outs and journeyman until their time in the league is over.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair enough and that is your right and I respect your rights. 'Merica!

I don't see anything sustainable or special in those guys. In the right system (A Seahawks/49ers/Cardinals) type system I think they can play QB at the NFL level. Almost every other situation I see them as flame outs and journeyman until their time in the league is over.
Same could be said about the top 3. Although like Garappolo/Mett/Murray I think one of Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater will become a franchise QB. The other 2 on both levels will be Romo/Dalton/Palmer type QB's.
Old 03-02-2014   #56
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Cyrus Kouandjio... are you interested if he falls to 2-1? Or are you not interested because of the arthritic knee?

Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Zack Martin, Cyrus Kouandjio, Morgan Moses, Antonio Richardson. What are the odds of one of these guys being there at 2-1? I'm drawing the line at Zack Martin, I think those 4 are excellent OT prospects, I'm worried about Cyrus' knee & I think Moses & Richardson are very good prospects.

I'd be open to taking a QB in the first, if I could get one of these guys in the second.
Old 03-02-2014   #57
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cyrus Kouandjio... are you interested if he falls to 2-1? Or are you not interested because of the arthritic knee?

Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Zack Martin, Cyrus Kouandjio, Morgan Moses, Antonio Richardson. What are the odds of one of these guys being there at 2-1? I'm drawing the line at Zack Martin, I think those 4 are excellent OT prospects, I'm worried about Cyrus' knee & I think Moses & Richardson are very good prospects.

I'd be open to taking a QB in the first, if I could get one of these guys in the second.
I'd pass on Kouandijo at 2:1. 3:1 probably take a punt.
Old 03-02-2014   #58
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I'd pass on Kouandijo at 2:1. 3:1 probably take a punt.
Because of the knee? The poor combine? Or you never really liked him to begin with?
Old 03-02-2014   #59
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Because of the knee? The poor combine? Or you never really liked him to begin with?
The knee. I like him as a prospect had him at 30 on my big board but don't want to invest good draft picks in a guy who could be a walking time bomb.
Old 03-02-2014   #60
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
The knee. I like him as a prospect had him at 30 on my big board but don't want to invest good draft picks in a guy who could be a walking time bomb.
Yep,

I would have to pass on him after the B.Williams fiasco.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read