Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2014   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213938 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bringing Antonio Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I do hold it against him, how many parties have you thrown were somebody passed out, much less fell in a pool? I want a culture change and AS was part of a bad culture. Football certainly didn't come 1st for him and unless you're a great player it's time to move on.
The guy who died was a friend of Antonio's and a friend of the family. I'm sure A.S. was probably sick about it.

From this report it seems to me everyone had either retired from poolside and gone inside the house or left the party. Apparently this one person stayed outside by himself. Or went back out by the pool on the way to his car, tripped and fell in. Who knows.

And yeah, I've been to - and hosted - parties where folks have passed out and we had to "put them to bed" to keep them from driving home. But you cannot keep an eye on everyone. And you cannot really know everyone's limit.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #42
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like there is serious interest on the part of both parties.

Quote:
Veteran defensive end Antonio Smith had been very open about his desire to return to the Texans next season. But Smith, 32, has been aware that a 2-14 team may not have interest in resigning a lineman on the wrong side of 30. Add a new coach to the mix, and it seemed unlikely the Ninja would be back.

But on Monday Smith struck a surprisingly optimistic tone.

“I had a good conversation with coach O’Brien. Me and him just got a good feel for each other,” Smith said on Nate and Creight. “From what my agent tells me, the team and coach O’Brien really like me.”

Smith went on to say that his agent has had a few preliminary conversations with the Texans.

“They’re looking forward to trying to find a way to work something out.” Smith said.

After seeing the Miami locker room suffer a complete leadership breakdown, having a strong presence like Antonio Smith in the locker room would be an asset for a first year coach like O’Brien.
link
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #43
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Gotta love the inconsistency. AS is part of a bad culture for an off the field incident but you want the team to ignore any off the field issues in draft prospects or taking years off.
I didn't say that I was consistent. I don't think Smith is a player you can win with. I don't care for him personally either. He's part of a long standing problem in Houston. I feel the same way that I did about Winston.

Dave Smith's $$$$ put that $$$$ with Schaub/OD's $$$$ and get Soliai.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #44
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do hold it against him, how many parties have you thrown were somebody passed out, much less fell in a pool? I want a culture change and AS was part of a bad culture. Football certainly didn't come 1st for him and unless you're a great player it's time to move on.
This really isn't indicative of his character or friends. My girlfriend in college had a friend who died the same way as Smith's friend, and from what I knew, he was a pretty responsible dude. I've also attended and thrown countless parties where otherwise respectable people pass out or do crazy stuff. Hard partying is an indiscriminating American tradition.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #45
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Looks like there is serious interest on the part of both parties.

link
That's the interview I heard.

It sounded like it was a real possibility he'd be back. Seems like a lot of people wrote the possibility off.

I hope they can make it work. I like what Antonio brings to the defense.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #46
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Signing Antonio might have just gotten a little easier. Reports are coming out (I heard it on 610.) that the cap will be moved up to about 130 million.
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #47
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

On a team that has significant holes (I don't think the cabinet is as bare as many of you do but I acknowledge that we do have some serious deficiencies) you don't create another hole by letting a good player go.

Smith is a versatile, successful player and has an attitude and agression that I don't think we see enough of from the rest of the roster. You don't overpay for him but if he is close to reasonable he is a must sign in my book.

All of this stuff about the pool incident is garbage. Some guy was a jack ass at one of his parties, end of story.

Bottom line: AS has been very effective in almost every role he has been asked to play.

Why create a hole when we are trying to fill them?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

You are only going to get so many stars on your team. Antonio Smith is exactly what you want in the remainder - solid players right on the edge of pro bowl level performance. Guys like Smith and Jamie Sharper are the backbones of good NFL teams. You improve your team most by replacing weak sisters like McCain with guys like Smith, not by churning cheap bodies through positions filled with guys like him. You only get rid of guys like Smith if they demand payment like perennial probowlers.
Old 02-20-2014   #49
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Using Dwight Freeney and John Abraham as a barometer for re-signing Ninja I think it would take a 2 yr contract at approx $4mil cap hit each year.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #50
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Using Dwight Freeney and John Abraham as a barometer for re-signing Ninja I think it would take a 2 yr contract at approx $4mil cap hit each year.
And that would save us $5m to use elsewhere.
Old 02-20-2014   #51
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
And that would save us $5m to use elsewhere.
Not sure how that would save us $5 million since Ninja is a FA. By my calculations that would be an additional $4 million to the current salary cap.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #52
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand the no's on bringing smith back. If he can be had at a reasonable price, you make that happen.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #53
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Not sure how that would save us $5 million since Ninja is a FA. By my calculations that would be an additional $4 million to the current salary cap.
You are both correct.

It is an additional $4 mil on the current cap calculation which has too few players on it and will obviously get filled.

It is also a $5 mil savings over what that position cost to fill last season.
Old 02-20-2014   #54
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I didn't say that I was consistent. I don't think Smith is a player you can win with. I don't care for him personally either. He's part of a long standing problem in Houston. I feel the same way that I did about Winston.

Dave Smith's $$$$ put that $$$$ with Schaub/OD's $$$$ and get Soliai.
Dave's not here. (in your best stoner voice)

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #55
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are only going to get so many stars on your team. Antonio Smith is exactly what you want in the remainder - solid players right on the edge of pro bowl level performance. Guys like Smith and Jamie Sharper are the backbones of good NFL teams. You improve your team most by replacing weak sisters like McCain with guys like Smith, not by churning cheap bodies through positions filled with guys like him. You only get rid of guys like Smith if they demand payment like perennial probowlers.
I would rather sign a great player like Soliai using the $$$$$ saved from Schaub/AS and draft a solid player like Taylor Hart to compete with Crick for AS spot.

Getting difference makers with FA $$$$$ and filling in the holes with draft picks/vet min FA's is the way I would go.

Of course the Texans will probably do what most on this board want and re-sign AS. Therefore maintain mediocrity for another 3 yrs.
Old 02-20-2014   #56
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Dave's not here. (in your best stoner voice)
Brain fart
Old 02-21-2014   #57
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

How long has Ninja been in the league like 8 nine years

hes a few years away from retirement hes to old and gets payed 2 much

thanks ninja but u couldn't cut it in Arozina or Texas alla taking dis team to the Supperr ehhh AFC championship LOL set my bar kinda low

im thinking brien knows and told BOB look I need at least one year to fix dis mess kinda like a purge the terrible word Rebuilding year
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #58
HouTx11
Veteran

Rep Power: 4237 HouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respectedHouTx11 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jumping offsides before the Jags hailmary giving the Jags the yds needed to almost throw the ball to the endzone.
You are correct that did happen. As for the hailmary TD, the Texans should've already won the game had it not been for Joel Dreessen.
HouTx11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #59
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 57932 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are both correct.

It is an additional $4 mil on the current cap calculation which has too few players on it and will obviously get filled.

It is also a $5 mil savings over what that position cost to fill last season.
Good explanation. I almost said the same thing and then decided to read a couple of extra posts.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014   #60
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i would love to get antonio back. i think there are few more underrated players in the league, but as a 3-4 defensive end his contributions are mostly unnoticed. similarly, when you've got possibly the best defensive player since reggie white on the other side, being overlooked is going to happen. he's fun for the fans, and he's one of the vets that by all reports gives everything he can to help younger players. i don't see it happening though because he's in his twilight and simply going to cost too much to give a retirement contract to. i think he's one that romeo would love to keep however. the ninja can stack a double team, penetrate outside or in, and can play any position on the line.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read