Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-20-2014   #101
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Greg Robinson's arm length- 35 inches, 320 lbs., 6'5"

Cyrus Kouandjio- 6'6 3/4 322.

Jake Matthews at 6'5/308 lbs with 33 3/8" arms and 9 7/8"

Taylor Lewan measured in at 6'7/309 pounds with 33 78" arms. 9 1/4" hands.

Stanford OG David Yankey- 6'5 5/8 315 with 34 inch arms

USC's Marcus Martin -- 6'3 3/8 320 with 34 inch arms...can play all 3 interior spots

Eric Ebron 6'4 3/8 250

ND TE Troy Niklas 6'6.5" 270…“Chiseled” was the word

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins measured in at 6-5.5, 262 pounds. 33 3/4" arms, 80" wingspan

Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro. He just measured in at 6-5 3/8, 265 lbs.

TE Richard Rodgers arrived at 6'4/257 lbs with 32 5/8" arms and 10 1/8" hands.

Jerry Ricecake 7'3" (with hair) 196 lbs.

Quote:
Gil Brandt ‏@Gil_Brandt
Quote:
4 TEs measured under 6-3 but no one under 6-2. #NFLCombine

Only 2 OL had arms under 32 inches.:#Alabama OG Anthony Steen (30 1/2) and Utah St. OC Tyler Larsen (31 1/2). #NFLCombine

6 OL had 35-inch or longer arms led by Luke Lucas (36 3/4). Alabama's Cyrus Kouandjio had 2nd-longest arms (35 5/8)

CSU OC Weston Richburg 1 of 4 players under 300 lbs. Came in at 298, lighter than you'd want. #NFLCombine

19 OL measured 6-5 or taller. Tallest: KSU's Luke Lucas (6-8 3/8). Lewan came in at 6-7 1/8. Matthews 6-5 1/2, 308 -looked great.
**chatter**

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Quote:
Spielman said #Vikings have eight or nine QBs on the docket for private workouts before the draft.

Vikings would love to trade back from the No. 8 pick, in part because they think there is depth at the QB position in this draft.
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
Quote:
If the NFL draft were today, the Texans would take...Blake Bortles: That's what I'm hearing.

Johnny Manziel 40 time prop bet line set at 4.45 per @bovadaLV. Sammy Watkins line at 4.32

Name I keep hearing a lot of buzz about is C.J. Mosley. One team source flat-out told me I had him rated too low (No. 16 overall)
Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Sua-Filo: "I've been told I'm a guard. But I feel like I can play tackle and be good at it."

Talking to people in Indy who I trust, I get the sense that Bortles and Manziel are the favorites for No. 1 pick. Still very early though

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-20-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #102
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The author should be taken out and crunched for this...
Quote:
If that were to occur, it won't matter much if the "chip" on Manziel's shoulder was a Frito, Dorito or Tostito. Hate to Ruffles anyone feathers, but rather than Lays down, why not show some Pringles and compete?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #103
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

I've tried to make a half dozen post w/ info on the Combine. Playoffs is always quicker on the draw.

BTW Playoffs you're doing an outstanding job updating draft info and what's happening at the Combine. Thank You! The message board will not allow me to give you all the reps you deserve.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #104
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post

BTW Playoffs you're doing an outstanding job updating draft info and what's happening at the Combine. Thank You! The message board will not allow me to give you all the reps you deserve.
Too true
Old 02-20-2014   #105
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139289 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've tried to make a half dozen post w/ info on the Combine. Playoffs is always quicker on the draw.

Repped him for ya. Good stuff Playoffs.
htownfan32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #106
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131162 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Repped him for ya. Good stuff Playoffs.
Hes been awesome. I wouldve repped him a half dozen times by now if I could.
Old 02-20-2014   #107
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

...Playoffs..?
Playoffs...??
Who IS that guy anyway?

Even Roger wants to know...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #108
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 393216 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh, wow, thanks guys. Aggregating/posting draft news educates the draftnik in me. I learn a lot from doing it, and like informing the discussions here on TT about what I consider the most important draft in Texans history. Deepest draft in 10+ years, and we're in the first slot. MSR to those I can't bump.
Old 02-20-2014   #109
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

2013 NFL COMBINE: WHAT TO LEARN FROM EACH DRILL

Quote:
10 (and 20) Yard Split
This might be one of the most telling and unfortunately most forgotten numbers of the entire NFL Combine. While the 40 time is the "sexy" time, only the running back/wide receiver position would ever run 40 yards straight, and even those two positions rarely get that 40 yard space without contact. The 10 yard split shows the explosiveness off the snap from a 3 point stance for the offensive/defensive lineman, which is basically the only valuable part of the drill for those positions. As for the position players, being able to quickly get to a players top speed is crucial for receivers exploding to their first cut, while defensive backs need that explosiveness after they flip their hips and run.

40 Yard Time
The 40 time does have some merit in terms of value for all position. Obviously for the position players, it's a testament to raw speed, something that really is essential to play in the NFL and can not be overlooked. However, for the other positions, you can get more out of watching how these prospects actually run: Is it smooth? Is there wasted motion? Do the prospects times drastically drop off after the 20 yard times? Those are really what to get out of the 40 time.

Bench Press
For all linemen, impressing the bench press is a must for the offensive and defensive linemen, and an impressive showing for any other position is notable because it shows dedication to the weight room as well as raw power and strength. Also to keep in mind, prospects with longer arms will generally do less because of the weight to push the farther distance.

Vertical Jump
The vertical jump is the best indicator of lower body strength, and it's a more practical football-related test of that lower body strength than a squat is for the linemen and linebackers. While it also shows the same lower body explosiveness for receivers and defensive backs, it's an essential skill set that showcases in air ball skills and the ability to get vertical.

Broad Jump
As with most combine tests (as you've probably noticed), the broad jump once again tests for explosiveness. Its standing still, only using legs to drive you body forward in the air. The most important aspect of the drill, however, is that the player needs to stick the landing with balance for it to count. This explosion-to-balance combination is crucial for pass rushers and bigger bodied receivers to control their length/weight and balance while using their strength.

3 Cone/"L" Drill
The "L" drill is a test of two main aspects that are crucial for almost any position: Change of direction without losing balance, and continuing to accelerate through cuts/turns. The drill basically is a five yard sprint, then a sharp cut right, followed by a five yard sprint to the next perpendicular cone, where the runner loops around, accelerate to the middle cone, and then cut back to the starting point. This is beneficial to see how well a position player can cut without wasted steps and without losing any burst, while also showing how a pass rusher can stay low and balanced while staying smooth and powerful in the rushes.

Short Shuttle
The short shuttle is simply exploding five yards to the right, then explode ten yards back to the left, and finish back to the original starting point. The lateral quickness aspect of the drill is obviously important to positional players, showcasing balance and decisive steps while utilizing their quickness. For the bigger linebackers and linemen, it's more about the ability to not slow down but more just plant and bend ability for these bigger athletes.

Other Numbers to Note:
  • -Hand size (for QB, WR, OL, and DL)
  • -Arm length/wingspan (for WRs, OL, and any outliers at other positions)
  • -Wonderlic Scores (for all positions, especially QBs, looking for outlier numbers)
  • -Flexibility ratings (not given out to public, but useful for NFL teams to test athletic upside)

Position Drills to Note:
  • -Passing drill for QBs (focusing on vertical control, drop quickness to release)
  • -Vertical pass catching for WRs (see depth perception, ability to finish deep catches)
  • -Gauntlet drill for WRs (evaluate quick body direction change, reliability in hands)
  • -Kick slide drill for OL (especially for OTs, see if they can get depth and stay balanced)
  • -Rip/Swim Bag Exchange for DL (see if DL can stay in athletic position, transitioning between bags)
  • -Coverage drops for LBs (see how each linebacker opens initially, shuffles, and flips hips)
  • -Vertical coverage for DBs (see jump timing, ability to stay tight on WRs, hands and ball skills)
Old 02-20-2014   #110
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to add to the Playoffs back-patting. He does a fantastic job of adding value to the forums during the offseason.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #111
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I have to add to the Playoffs back-patting. He does a fantastic job of adding value to the forums during the offseason.
Agreed! He's beaten the ticket on my phone several times.

Quote:
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout

Quote:
If the NFL draft were today, the Texans would take...Blake Bortles: That's what I'm hearing
That's what I've told everyone at my office for a month now. There's no substitute for beating the new HC team right in front of him.
Old 02-20-2014   #112
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

These tweeting fool & their "sources" about what they're hearing is turning into a joke. 1 guy at the same combine hears that it's manziel...another just now is hearing it's Bortles...

I'm patiently waiting for the tweet from the jagwagon that says his sources tell him it's Clowney.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #113
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Okay, Height/Weight/Other measurables are now being updated on NFL.com here:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Sort by position, click on "Analysis" to see the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
These tweeting fool & their "sources" about what they're hearing is turning into a joke. 1 guy at the same combine hears that it's manziel...another just now is hearing it's Bortles...I'm patiently waiting for the tweet from the jagwagon that says his sources tell him it's Clowney.
Exactly what you want if you're the Texans... mass confusion/disinformation on what you're going to do forces teams that fall in love with a guy to make offers.

Quote:
Arkansas C Travis Swanson said a #Browns scout asked him at Senior Bowl "to name all the things I could do w/ a single brick in 1 minute."

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-20-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2014   #114
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Teddy measures in at 6"2.5 and 219 pounds, runs a 4.68 40

Manziel comes in at 6' on the dot and weighs at 211, runs a 4.59 40
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #115
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Teddy measures in at 6"2.5 and 219 pounds, runs a 4.68 40

Manziel comes in at 6' on the dot and weighs at 211, runs a 4.59 40
& right on que, Teddy obliterates any notion of his possible frailness & lack of athleticism....only 8 tenths of a second behind Manziel.
Old 02-20-2014   #116
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
& right on que, Teddy obliterates any notion of his possible frailness & lack of athleticism...
My bad, should have been more clear that those were my guesses haha
Old 02-20-2014   #117
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Are these Heights and Weights actual, yet? Because they're showing Bridgewater as 6'3" and 205#.

the Link
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014   #118
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
My bad, should have been more clear that those were my guesses haha
oh...lol
Old 02-20-2014   #119
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Okay, Height/Weight/Other measurables are now being updated on NFL.com here:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/participants

Sort by position, click on "Analysis" to see the updates.
2014 NFL Combine Results and Data Google Docs spreadsheet updated regularly:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...any=true#gid=8

THE SIDELINE VIEW'S OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE WATCHING GUIDE

Buy NFL Combine Gear: http://shop.houstontexans.com/NFL_Co.../highest_price

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-20-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2014   #120
matts290
Veteran

Looks like all TE, OL and PK have official measurements in.

Matthews measures at 6"5, 308 with 33 3/8 inch arms and Greg Robinson measures in at 6"5, 332, and 35 inch arm.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read