Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2014   #21
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bringing Antonio Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYTEXANFAN View Post
So about 70% of the team.. Interesting take

Your man... Pots and pans
yup gotta do what u gotta do a clean Purge the colts did it and there first year went like 11-2
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #22
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like Antonio Smith, very underrated player for the Texans. I think he fit well in Wade Phillips 1 gap 3-4 system but I have yet to hear exactly what type of defense Romeo Crennel will be running. If it's a traditional 2 gap read and react 3-4 system, then I'm not sure Antonio fits that and he sure didn't like the 4-3 system we ran when he got here. Not to mention that we can get someone younger and much cheaper in the draft. I'd like to have him back, he provides stability and leadership, but only if the price is very advantageous to the Texans and if he can fit in Crennel's system.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #23
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
yup gotta do what u gotta do a clean Purge the colts did it and there first year went like 11-2
You're missing a few games in that record, but i digress.

There's a critical difference in the two situations that you've compared here. While Indy was completely dependent on Manning to maintain winning records before he went down and his team subsequently tanked, Houston was coming off back to back playoff berths on the arms of T.J. Yates and Matt Schaub (AKA NOT Peyton) before this abomination of a season occurred.

This organizational discrepancy points to the fact that there must be a substantially greater amount of inherent talent on this roster than you seem to have given Rick Smith credit for (and reasonably so, I might add, considering this past season).
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #24
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't understand some of you guys sometimes.

You keep saying we need more depth on the D, but you want to get rid of a very good player like Antonio.

Yes I agree that price needs to be right and we do not need to overpay. But he is a valuable member of this team.
Old 02-18-2014   #25
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 87983 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad you're not the GM.
Quote:
ehhh im with the purge most of the players from the 2-14 Nightmare so I say NO to bringing ninja back

I would say see ya to

66 Andrew Gardner OT
88 Garrett Graham TE
41 Jonathan Grimes RB
68 Ryan Harris OT
33 Greg Jones FB
39 Deji Karim RB
43 Elbert Mack CB
53 Joe Mays ILB
51 Darryl Sharpton ILB
94 Antonio Smith DE
74 Wade Smith G
44 Ben Tate RB

Restricted FAs
18 Lestar Jean WR
97 Terrell McClain NT
92 Earl Mitchell NT

pretty much all of yall Free agents this year except Braman

and then like see ya

7 Case Keenum
13 T. J. Yates

Running backs
28 Dennis Johnson

Wide receivers
17 Alec Lemon
82 Keshawn Martin
11 DeVier Posey
83 Rico Richardson
-- Mike Thomas

Tight ends

81 Owen Daniels

55 Chris Myers C
75 Derek Newton T

96 Tim Jamison DE
54 Mike Mohamed ILB
52 Jeff Tarpinian ILB
57 Justin Tuggle ILB

24 Johnathan Joseph CB
31 Shiloh Keo FS
38 Danieal Manning SS
21 Brice McCain CB

4 Randy Bullock K
9 Shane Lechler P
46 Jon Weeks LS
I'm glad you're not the GM. We'd be in worse shape than a new franchise.

ps You're OK with one of the players who should be on the bubble.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #26
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117377 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

As little depth as we have now?? Hell yeh resign him if the price is right. Even with him we need we need at least 3 more quality DL added through the draft and FA.
Old 02-18-2014   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
As little depth as we have now?? Hell yeh resign him if the price is right. Even with him we need we need at least 3 more quality DL added through the draft and FA.
While I agree, Smith has been a leader here for a long time and he has set a bad tone with his form of leadership. For Gods sake a guy DIED at one of his parties. How many people have died at one of your parties?

It's time to move on.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On defense all we need is JJ Watt. Maybe Cushing for a few games until he reinjures. Watt beats 5-team blocks to sack QBs before they can complete their drop backs.

On offense all we need is Johnny Football and Andre Johnson. Nobody can catch JFF scrambling and AJ beats box-4 coverages easily.

Winning!

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #29
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

On the one hand I'm very much of an AS fan, but on the other the more likely his return becomes then the less likely our drafting Clowney becomes, not that I necessarily expect us to draft him with our 1.1.
But popular and successful players who become FAs are always talking about coming back to their team, wanting to come back, how happy they are in the city with the fans and living in that city, blah, blah, etc.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #30
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
While I agree, Smith has been a leader here for a long time and he has set a bad tone with his form of leadership. For Gods sake a guy DIED at one of his parties. How many people have died at one of your parties?

It's time to move on.
I was unaware of this situation.

Link

Doesn't sound like any foul play was involved. Sounds like the guy passed out and fell in the pool, maybe couldn't swim. I don't think you should hold that against Smith.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I was unaware of this situation.

Link

Doesn't sound like any foul play was involved. Sounds like the guy passed out and fell in the pool, maybe couldn't swim. I don't think you should hold that against Smith.
I do hold it against him, how many parties have you thrown were somebody passed out, much less fell in a pool? I want a culture change and AS was part of a bad culture. Football certainly didn't come 1st for him and unless you're a great player it's time to move on.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #32
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do hold it against him, how many parties have you thrown were somebody passed out, much less fell in a pool? I want a culture change and AS was part of a bad culture. Football certainly didn't come 1st for him and unless you're a great player it's time to move on.
Gotta love the inconsistency. AS is part of a bad culture for an off the field incident but you want the team to ignore any off the field issues in draft prospects or taking years off.
Old 02-18-2014   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would like to see Antonio back. Given his age, position and performance I think he can be an above average performer for another 3 years. I think Antonio knows if he goes for the highest dollar contract he is likely to not complete it and end up bouncing trying to get to those 3 years so will be very interested in a contract for 3-4 years he believes he can play out - say something in the 3 years, $13.5 mil range and that would be in the Texans best interest as well. But who knows.
My thoughts, as well. Plus he's a leader, which is something the new coaching staff will need in their first year.
Old 02-18-2014   #34
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I do hold it against him, how many parties have you thrown were somebody passed out, much less fell in a pool?
These people are adults. It's not Antonio's job to hold hands with every guest and make sure they know their limits.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #35
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 31941 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I would like to see Antonio back. Given his age, position and performance I think he can be an above average performer for another 3 years. I think Antonio knows if he goes for the highest dollar contract he is likely to not complete it and end up bouncing trying to get to those 3 years so will be very interested in a contract for 3-4 years he believes he can play out - say something in the 3 years, $13.5 mil range and that would be in the Texans best interest as well. But who knows.
Pretty much my feelings. He's a good player. Not great but still effective. Hell, he's been our only 'other' consistent pass rusher. I do wish he would maintain his running lanes a bit better but that could come with the proper scheme/coaching. He plays hard all the time, is a leader and gives the team some attitude so would like him back with a reasonable cost of course. Plus, this isn't Madden. You can't just let every single piece go but a handful and expect progress. You have cap space and limited flexibility and we already have little to no depth. In today's NFL where injuries happen at an obnoxious rate you need depth so if you have someone solid you should probably hold onto them if possible.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #36
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21216 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't believe the Colts turned over that much of their roster. They replaced poor QB play with very good QB play, added a few pieces and were right back where they were before Manning went down.

Getting better QB play, getting some help in the secondary, and adding quality depth at a few positions and there is no reason the Texans can't be back in the playoffs next year.

I'm a firm believer that the Richard Sherman pick 6 lost the year for us. One play changed the season. Schaub doesn't throw that and we win that game. His confidence isn't destroyed, the team doesn't crater. Every game after that one plays out differently. That means that Cushing doesn't take the shot to the knee against KC. We don't lose 14 straight to end the season.

We have holes. A few big ones and some depth issues. Every team has a few issues. Seattle has an advantage because they have a cheap starting QB on a cap friendly contract. Let's see how they do in 2 years when they have to give him a big contract.
TexanBacker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Tone back in a heart beat, but not for the $ he's been getting paid.

I'd go 3 years 10.5 maybe
Old 02-18-2014   #38
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your man... Pots and pans
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I don't believe the Colts turned over that much of their roster. They replaced poor QB play with very good QB play,
The Colts had 23 players who were on both the season ending 2011 roster and the opening day 2012 roster. That's 57% turnover. Obviously players on IR at the end of 2011 who were back at the beginning of 2012 could skew that percentage up a bit, but by almost anybody's definition, it was high turnover.

That said, Norg's list is ridiculous.

LINK
Old 02-18-2014   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I really like Antonio Smith, very underrated player for the Texans. I think he fit well in Wade Phillips 1 gap 3-4 system but I have yet to hear exactly what type of defense Romeo Crennel will be running. If it's a traditional 2 gap read and react 3-4 system, then I'm not sure Antonio fits that and he sure didn't like the 4-3 system we ran when he got here. Not to mention that we can get someone younger and much cheaper in the draft. I'd like to have him back, he provides stability and leadership, but only if the price is very advantageous to the Texans and if he can fit in Crennel's system.
On same page, most know I have advocated letting him go as don't think he will return for reasonable $ but if he will AND O'brien thinks he fits system (sort of surprises me) then that would allow us to use a high pick other area. I have Notre Dame's Stephon Tuitt with our second pick. If Ninja is signed we could go RB with Hyde in second. Foster remains huge question for me.

Cap: A much lower deal brings a starter back, offers more cap and frees up a pick; that is hard to argue. Still trying to fit Smith into system especially since when he came here he did not want to be a "plug line" DT but wanted to go for QB IIRC.
Old 02-18-2014   #40
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
I don't believe the Colts turned over that much of their roster. They replaced poor QB play with very good QB play, added a few pieces and were right back where they were before Manning went down.

Getting better QB play, getting some help in the secondary, and adding quality depth at a few positions and there is no reason the Texans can't be back in the playoffs next year.

I'm a firm believer that the Richard Sherman pick 6 lost the year for us. One play changed the season. Schaub doesn't throw that and we win that game. His confidence isn't destroyed, the team doesn't crater. Every game after that one plays out differently. That means that Cushing doesn't take the shot to the knee against KC. We don't lose 14 straight to end the season.

We have holes. A few big ones and some depth issues. Every team has a few issues. Seattle has an advantage because they have a cheap starting QB on a cap friendly contract. Let's see how they do in 2 years when they have to give him a big contract.

actually they did if u look at there roster pre and post manning

look we can just look a star name value look were that got us

and u do realize a team only consist of 53 players so if we do purge its up to BOb and rick to find the best young talent the hidden undrafted gems to make up that 53

its not like purging is a bad thing esp coming off a 2-14 season

Kubes did it in 2005-06

so if not this year I bet next year BOB will do the same esp if his job is on the line like if we go like

6-10 this season
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read