Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-27-2014   #41
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 28119 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Only one like him in first round

A nice write up on Mosley:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...mosley-alabama

Quote:
C.J. Mosley stands at 6-foot-2 and 232 pounds. There isn't a linebacker in the college football who has displayed the type of high football IQ and instincts Mosley has on the field. He displays a great of ability to read the QBs eyes in pass coverage and hit his keys. He has a great ability to recognize route and understands down and distance situations incredibly well. In the run game Mosley uses his football IQ to diagnose the plays quickly and keep himself clean from blockers. He is incredibly disciplined in his reads and this could only be the result of excellent preparation and film study throughout the week.
He is definitely one I would be interested in if we traded down and others we considered were off the board. He's even good in coverage which would make it possible where he would be on the field more unlike all our other inside linebackers not named Brian Cushing. Gives us more diversity and he or Cush could slide outside when/if we use a 4-3 in this new hybrid approach. Depends on who stays and goes in the coming months (obviously).

Plus it would be nice to have insurance in case (knock on wood) Cushing did go down since when he does this team has looked inept on defense time and time again.
deucetx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Unfortunately, I think Antonio Richardson goes in the top 25 and James will go in the late 2nd (I have him as my #64 prospect right now). They are both severely underrated right now. I take Richardson at #33 no question if he is still there somehow. Franchise LT potential. James will be a very solid RT. If he's there at 3.1 I take him (unless the position has already been addressed by then).

Not really a fan of Cyril. Has potential but I hope he goes elsewhere.
Do you think A. Richardson could play RT for now eliminating need for James? I'm not sure & we cannot afford to stockpile players this year. I think James is solid & if Q is as good as I think, that wraps up the OL. Brennan Williams & a healthy Newton can spar over back up roles. I think Derek will be allowed at his rate of pay to at least get thru TC.
Old 01-27-2014   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

What are the thoughts on Trevardo Williams? Many liked him when drafted and he is a speedster.
Old 01-27-2014   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What are the thoughts on Trevardo Williams? Many liked him when drafted and he is a speedster.
Be interesting to see if Vrabel can get something out of him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #45
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Has a future as a situational pass rusher. I don't think he has the ability to be a full time player, he's not agile enough to play in coverage and he's not strong enough to play against the run. One trick pony. But that one trick is a pretty important one.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #46
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you think A. Richardson could play RT for now eliminating need for James? I'm not sure & we cannot afford to stockpile players this year. I think James is solid & if Q is as good as I think, that wraps up the OL. Brennan Williams & a healthy Newton can spar over back up roles. I think Derek will be allowed at his rate of pay to at least get thru TC.
Yes I think he could.

LT - Brown, Williams
LG - Quessenberry, Jones
C - Myers, Jones
RG - Brooks, Jones
RT - Richardson, Newton

That looks like a definite upgrade over last year.
Old 01-27-2014   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Has a future as a situational pass rusher. I don't think he has the ability to be a full time player, he's not agile enough to play in coverage and he's not strong enough to play against the run. One trick pony. But that one trick is a pretty important one.
I would like to see Tre alternate with Reed.
Old 01-27-2014   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yes I think he could.

LT - Brown, Williams
LG - Quessenberry, Jones
C - Myers, Jones
RG - Brooks, Jones
RT - Richardson, Newton

that is putting a lot of trust in Q a player we saw little of. If he isn't steak and potatoes we remain in same place as last season.
Old 01-27-2014   #49
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90207 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that is putting a lot of trust in Q a player we saw little of. If he isn't steak and potatoes we remain in same place as last season.
I have a lot of faith in Quess. He was my OL sleeper in the draft last year. Was ecstatic when we landed him. If he is fully recovered from his injury then I expect him to win the starting job easily.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #50
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Agreed. I have faith that he can beat out Jones, who I think is a natural C playing out of position at OG.

Quessenberry/Jones may not match Wade Smith's production in year one but moving forward I think it's a better option.

And I think Richardson is better on his first day of practice than Newton is ever capable of being.
Old 01-27-2014   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Agreed. I have faith that he can beat out Jones, who I think is a natural C playing out of position at OG.

Quessenberry/Jones may not match Wade Smith's production in year one but moving forward I think it's a better option.

And I think Richardson is better on his first day of practice than Newton is ever capable of being.
Thanks for response from you and WF. I also like Q from start but we had better be correct. If Richardson can play RT I could eliminate a 2nd pick from draft as I had Cyril #33 and James in 4th.

Old 01-27-2014   #52
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Also there will be a good handful of free agent guards if we want to plug one in there. No need to spend multiple high picks to solidify the line. Grab your BPA @ 1, then hopefully RT or TE @ 33.

As far as Mosley goes, I cant see a scenario where we trade down in his range. But who knows.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #53
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes I think he could.

LT - Brown, Williams
LG - Quessenberry, Jones
C - Myers, Jones
RG - Brooks, Jones
RT - Richardson, Newton

I think Brennan Williams can definitely be this teams starting RT. I also believe in Q. I also believe Wade Smith signs a team friendly deal as he'll be 33 next year and the Texans are the only team that took a chance on him as an NFL starter besides the Fins who drafted and released him.

He also has a nice house in Houston (Mizzou City) that I doubt he wants to sell to get a 1 or 2 year deal elsewhere. He can provide solid depth and provide the time needed for other guards to rise up and take what we drafted them to do.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
I think Brennan Williams can definitely be this teams starting RT. I also believe in Q. I also believe Wade Smith signs a team friendly deal as he'll be 33 next year and the Texans are the only team that took a chance on him as an NFL starter besides the Fins who drafted and released him.

He also has a nice house in Houston (Mizzou City) that I doubt he wants to sell to get a 1 or 2 year deal elsewhere. He can provide solid depth and provide the time needed for other guards to rise up and take what we drafted them to do.
I really like Williams and mocked him but need to be convinced he will be healthy, if yes then I take RT off my list of concerns. Wade Smith is not and has not been healthy for 2 seasons; he is gone. I think Q will start.
Old 02-03-2014   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

bumped thread to see if any comments after S.W. and the MVP LB?
Old 02-18-2014   #56
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 294395 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler
Quote:
Alabama LB C.J. Mosley has been one of the toughest evals this year...only because it's so tough to find holes in his game #NFLDraft
Old 02-18-2014   #57
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
bumped thread to see if any comments after S.W. and the MVP LB?
I am very tempted to say he would benefit the team more than any other non-QB. Was shocked to see a mock yesterday in which he fell to 17.
Old 02-18-2014   #58
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69514 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I am very tempted to say he would benefit the team more than any other non-QB. Was shocked to see a mock yesterday in which he fell to 17.
If he somehow fell that far I think I'd be willing to try and trade up...
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #59
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

my only concern is that he doesn't shed blocks every well. and in Roc's system the linebackers are the main penetrators of the o-line to get to the QB. Can he do that consistently against top level NFL talent? can he add weight and strength without losing speed? does he fit in our system? These are the questions i would be asking and trying to find answers for

P.s. i would have zero complains if we drafted him in the top 10 and could even make a case for taking him number 1
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #60
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: ILB CJ Mosley - Only one like him in first round

All Star Football Challenge was on ESPN2 earlier this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Only thing of interest to me was CJ Mosley outran Lache Seastrunk in an obstacle course type drill.
Which considering the below adds some "wow" to the above.

Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk: I know I can run faster than 4.3

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read