Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014   #2281
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Unwise due to potentially inferred immaturity? The Texans brass will avoid him to show "who's boss"?

Then there's these snarky responses that makes it appear that anyone who even entertains that Manziel can actually play pretty good football and isn't all mouth is overlooking reality.
Wow, surprised to see your full on membership in the Manziel Defense League came through. But congratulations you managed to jump right into the defense of any comment no matter how small being directed his way if not 100% rosily endorsing everything he does and even if preceded by a positive.

Maybe you should save this rebuttal for when whether he actually plays pretty good football was part of the discussion.

But thank you for proving the snark was well earned.

...unwise but insignificant. ---- to the rescue.
Old 02-17-2014   #2282
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

All this tit for tat discussion about Manziel is why I have tried to stay out of the Case Keenum discussions. As a UH alumni, anything I say positive about Keenum is discounted because I'm a homer.

A&M people can't defend Manziel because they will also be labeled homers by a jury of their message board peers. And if any negative comments are made about Manziel, those people are labeled as haters.

There is no middle ground in these discussions.

We are among the "Them"
Old 02-17-2014   #2283
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
All this tit for tat discussion about Manziel is why I have tried to stay out of the Case Keenum discussions. As a UH alumni, anything I say positive about Keenum is discounted because I'm a homer.

A&M people can't defend Manziel because they will also be labeled homers by a jury of their message board peers. And if any negative comments are made about Manziel, those people are labeled as haters.

spot on & this is is exactly what i've tried to do....unsuccessfully i might add. Whether homers or haters, People see what they want to see for the most part.

I know from my end, i'm done commenting on all these guys until they actually play a down in the NFL...
Old 02-17-2014   #2284
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

EDIT: Just noticed you've been called out quite a bit while catching up on this thread. No need to beat a dead horse. Good stuff everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
He's alternately boasting about how terrific he is, then threatening the Texans brass if they pass on him with their top pick in the Draft. Hey, the kid has got a mouth that overloads his skinny little azz and he's sounding more and more like a jerk, which no coach wants on his team. He should just show up at the Combine and work out, then do the same at his Pro day, and keep his mouth shut unless he's asked a question by a prospective NFL employer.
Many have said things like this before JFF and many will say these things after. I find that when the others did it (if they were liked by media), it was because they were 'competitors', but if JFF does it, it's because he's a pompous jerk. Interesting...

Last edited by TexansFTW; 02-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2014   #2285
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Many have said things like this before JFF and many will say these things after. I find that when the others did it (if they were liked by media), it was because they were 'competitors', but if JFF does it, it's because he's a pompous jerk. Interesting...
Consider it in context. Manziel was also talking about how he wanted to get away from the Johnny Football image which he had created. This was an odd way to display that.

And just because disclaimers seem necessary on this, I went to Cal and have zero allegiance for UT or A&M AND I will be perfectly happy if the Texans pick Manziel.
Old 02-17-2014   #2286
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post

You don't even have to be an Aggie. If you say anything positive about Manziel, you're labeled a homer. I couldn't care less about Manziel or A&M. If you ask me none of these guys are worthy of the #1 overall pick & I think there is plenty of elite talent I'd rather take. Even trading down to 5 I wouldn't take any of these QBs.

But I will say this. Manziel is the only guy "special" enough to take above his grade. Like Cam Newton or Michael Vick.... or if you want to go with busts, Jamarcus Russell or Vince Young. They weren't drafted on their grade, they were drafted on the "excitement" they generated. Sometimes it works, kinda Cam & Vick. Most of the times, it don't... Vince, Jamarcus, Tebow

Last edited by thunderkyss; 02-17-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Changed the second Cam to Jamarcus
Old 02-17-2014   #2287
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Manziel, on the advice of trainer George Whitfield and agent Erik Burkhardt, won't throw at the combine or at the Aggies' pro day. This could be a mistake. Throwing to familiar receivers will demonstrate the skills to throw. but throwing to unfamiliar receivers demonstrates the ability to hit receivers under less than ideal conditions. Any QB can hang a tire in the backyard and learn to throw; but demonstrating the hand, eye and motor skills to hit a receiver in stride is much more difficult.
Old 02-17-2014   #2288
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
I had the misfortune of living in that city for a couple of years and I learned this make believe rivalry between the cities is completely one sided. People in Dallas don't even know about it or talk about it.
While I agree with what you said. This part right here I believe is incorrect. You probably asked people that don't watch or care about sports (or children) cause everyone from Dallas I know and talk to knows it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I prefer guys like AJ who keep their opinions mostly to themselves and just show it with their actions. I know that's a hard concept to understand in the 21st century. If someone is the strong-silent type they are automatically presumed weak until proven otherwise, just because they don't run their mouth.
This is your preference so it's totally cool with how you want to see this, but I just wanted to interject we did have a 'strong, silent type' at QB for a while and I prefer to have the brash passionate guy now.

Every other position I can live with saying nothing, but I'd rather have Joe Namath and getting drunk trying to smooch on Suzy K vs Johnny U any day of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
His name dropping skills are quite impressive. But even more impressive is his ability to improvise and extend the name dropping to four more paragraphs. Scouts notice that.
lol, this dude definitely has some skill with words and obvious showmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Sometimes it works, kinda Cam & Vick. Most of the times, it don't... Vince, Cam, Tebow
lol. what?
Old 02-17-2014   #2289
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Incredible insight and analysis there. In case you haven't noticed, the #1 pick always brings a circus to town. We've seen two up close here in recent years. Perhaps you've forgotten?

You worry about a frito quote and manage to whiff on all the training. Explain to me again how O'Brien will be turned off by a guy that brought in a New England guy to teach him "his" offense.

The haters see nothing but macho bravado. Everyone else sees a kid doing his damndest to get drafted by a team in his own state.
I just got a phone call from Manziel's mom. She says for you to stop being such a mother hen.

Go back to the main idea of my post: "Manziel had nothing to gain by daring the Texans..." If you've ever been in competition with your peers for a promotion, you'd know that you're living under a microscope. There's as much a skill to knowing when to not say anything as there is to saying the right things. Criticizing Manziel on that isn't "being a hater," it's just good advice.
Old 02-17-2014   #2290
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
I just got a phone call from Manziel's mom. She says for you to stop being such a mother hen.

Go back to the main idea of my post: "Manziel had nothing to gain by daring the Texans..." If you've ever been in competition with your peers for a promotion, you'd know that you're living under a microscope. There's as much a skill to knowing when to not say anything as there is to saying the right things. Criticizing Manziel on that isn't "being a hater," it's just good advice.
A lot of Manziel's moves are pretty calculated at this point like most draft prospects. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was advised to say what he did.
Old 02-17-2014   #2291
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
A lot of Manziel's moves are pretty calculated at this point like most draft prospects. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was advised to say what he did.
Calculated? This guy is best known for running the Benny Hill Offense in college! He improvises everything, including that interview.
Old 02-17-2014   #2292
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Calculated? This guy is best known for running the Benny Hill Offense in college! He improvises everything, including that interview.
He's created a brand......... People may dislike him, but he's in the headlines of every sports show that comes on for a reason. He knew exactly what he was trying to say there. He can definitely be a brat, but he wanted to deliver a message going into the interview and he did just that. McClain wasn't granted access by his team for no reason. He recently signed with LeBron's team and that guy makes nothing but calculated moves.
Old 02-17-2014   #2293
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Wow, surprised to see your full on membership in the Manziel Defense League came through. But congratulations you managed to jump right into the defense of any comment no matter how small being directed his way if not 100% rosily endorsing everything he does and even if preceded by a positive.

Maybe you should save this rebuttal for when whether he actually plays pretty good football was part of the discussion.

But thank you for proving the snark was well earned.

...unwise but insignificant. ---- to the rescue.
And I'm surprised to see you in the full-on tear down Manziel club. You're the one making mountains out of molehills regarding his recent comments. Strangely, I haven't seen such vitriol from you regarding the other candidates.

Considering the only playing he's done thus far is pretty damn good by anyone's measure, what's your exact complaint on what's he's shown thus far? Please enlighten me on your "QBs who've shown more in college" discussion?

How about his "happy feet"? How about throwing off his back foot? How about his height? Durability? Anticipation? Blitz reading?

There's plenty to question about Manziel, this snarky bull**** is beneath you. How about honest evaluation of his play and style, rather than your presumptive "feelings" that he really hurt himself with his recent comments. (The pros have been awfully mixed on the reactions)

Manziel Defense League?

I guess I'm a member of the Bortles, Bridgewater and Clowney Defense leagues as well. They've all got pro and cons, but like the silly attacks on Bridgewater for a halloween costume, this latest barrage is overblown.
Old 02-17-2014   #2294
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in the grand scheme of things what manziel said in the interview may be looked at by some as a positive, others as a negative. (When I say "some" I mean the people that actually matter...the ones making the picks)

Personally, seems kind of insignificant to me. Already knew manziel has a little wild in him. He's brash...a but cocky. Not necessarily negative traits in a ball player.
Old 02-17-2014   #2295
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
While I agree with what you said. This part right here I believe is incorrect. You probably asked people that don't watch or care about sports (or children) cause everyone from Dallas I know and talk to knows it exists.
Ummm, no. I grew up there. Sorry but Houston has always been an afterthought to Dallas except for a tiny minority of people. About the most you are going to get is condescending contemptuousness that there is some big rivalry.

Quote:
And I'm surprised to see you in the full-on tear down Manziel club. You're the one making mountains out of molehills regarding his recent comments.
Really, calling something "insignificant" is tearing down and vitriol? Wow.
Old 02-17-2014   #2296
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really, calling something "insignificant" is tearing down and vitriol? Wow.
You stated it was "unwise, but will probably be insignificant". If it doesn't matter, then explain the unwise part?

Let's not act like that's your only anti-Johnny statement in here. Including the snark for reference.

Quote:
Consider it in context. Manziel was also talking about how he wanted to get away from the Johnny Football image which he had created. This was an odd way to display that.
Quote:
Yup, you're right. Anyone who even entertains the idea of a discussion of anything related to Manziel having even the remotest pittance of a chance of being considered less than perfection is clearly a hater.
Quote:
Something else being missed in these examples is they mainly came after being successful or at least after the draft not before. Like I said before, doubt it affects anything but it wasn't smart. It was also very odd right when he was trying to be "more mature than the whole Johnny Football thing."
This one is for context of the response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
If Bridgwater or Bortles would have given that exact same interview it would have been received totally different. .
Quote:
Sure is easy to knock down imaginary enemies
Quote:
But congratulations you managed to jump right into the defense of any comment no matter how small being directed his way if not 100% rosily endorsing everything he does and even if preceded by a positive.

Maybe I'm simply confusing your abundance of snark for vitriol.
Old 02-17-2014   #2297
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You stated it was "unwise, but will probably be insignificant". If it doesn't matter, then explain the unwise part?

Let's not act like that's your only anti-Johnny statement in here. Including the snark for reference.

Maybe I'm simply confusing your abundance of snark for vitriol.
From an outsider it looks like you're a little bit too sensitive about Manziel. Worse has been said about all the top prospects in this class.

I don't care for what Manziel said. I don't see any positive way to spin it. I don't think it will eventually hurt him but it's more likely to hurt than help.

I like that kind of attitude up to a certain point. But you have to be able to turn it off at times.
Old 02-17-2014   #2298
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
From an outsider it looks like you're a little bit too sensitive about Manziel. Worse has been said about all the top prospects in this class.

I don't care for what Manziel said. I don't see any positive way to spin it. I don't think it will eventually hurt him but it's more likely to hurt than help.

I like that kind of attitude up to a certain point. But you have to be able to turn it off at times.
I can buy that. I don't understand how you can't possibly see a positive spin though. (Showing the fierce competitor, showing the determination that won him a heisman, keeping the chip on his shoulder as motivation, etc.)

I've heard more positive and negative spin on this than I thought possible from a short interview. As with most things, I expect it affirms the pre-determined belief of those listening either way.
Old 02-17-2014   #2299
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Is unwise vitriol? I am not the only one who didn't think the comment was his best move. Is everyone who doesn't think it was the perfect thing to say slinging vitriol?

I don't think it was a smart thing to do and tried to provide context about why it went counter to his other stated purpose of moving away from JF as an image. I didn't make that up, he did. I really can't believe that you can't see his comments may be considered less than ideal by some. I love how you keep leaving off that I first said I liked his having gotten advice from an OB connection.

Quote:
Now you are just missing the boat. The snark was not directed at Manziel. It was directed at fans who cannot tolerate any word spoken against him at all. That's not his fault and certainly isn't directed at him.

Quote:
You know better than this. I have a long record of disdain for IF arguments across the board dating to long before Manziel graduated HS.
Old 02-17-2014   #2300
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Gwall said it best. Apparently there is no middle ground. I've been labled a Teddy B Lover because I don't like Bortles, accused of calling people who I disagree with "Manziel Haters", Manziel lover, Bortles hater......... I would love it if the the draft was this weekend to be done with all of this. Bortles really will be a bust though for anyone who cares to know. Just my inner Bortles "hater" coming out.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read