Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 02-12-2014   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL 1st First Round Mock Draft of 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Do you actually think the debate will go away just because we actually draft someone, or because they play an entire career and retire? We're still debating the Mario Williams choice. Why do you think we won't be debating this choice for the next fifty years if the Lord tarries?
Only that we'll have our answer to question, "who will Texans select"

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #22
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Lions just cut ties with Burleson. I imagine if Watkins was to somehow fall to them they'd have a very difficult time passing over him.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
Lions just cut ties with Burleson. I imagine if Watkins was to somehow fall to them they'd have a very difficult time passing over him.
5 top 10 WRs in 11 drafts - aack.
Old 02-13-2014   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
5 top 10 WRs in 11 drafts - aack.
Speaking of which, if you were the Lions, what would you be looking to do with that first pick (tenth overall)?
Old 02-13-2014   #25
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Speaking of which, if you were the Lions, what would you be looking to do with that first pick (tenth overall)?
Greg Robinson - won't be available
Sammy Watkins - can't pass on him if he's there, but I doubt he will be
Justin Gilbert - #1 CB
Darqueze Dennard - #2 CB but less raw than Gilbert
Khalil Mack - they could also use LB help
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Greg Robinson - won't be available
Sammy Watkins - can't pass on him if he's there, but I doubt he will be
Justin Gilbert - #1 CB
Darqueze Dennard - #2 CB but less raw than Gilbert
Khalil Mack - they could also use LB help
good points. off my mock, take Watkins, never look back. if he's not available & Mack would be there, BPA or if Mosley is your cup of tea he should be there.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-13-2014   #27
beerlover
Site Contributor

In all team cases my focus was on addressing team need with best possible player. The better teams, already stacked, can just sit back & take value without recourse, high risk/high reward!

You know we get a ton of hits from other boards seeking knowledge, outside opinion, & when it comes to the draft, closer to the truth (at least that's the idea).

Would like to open this forum to outside opinion on your teams needs, dreams & coveted prospects as well. We're not here to make excuses for our beloved Texans, **** happens, but this fan base should no longer be considered as novice as results would suggest.

This board has grown & maintained a healthy , active group, comrades, fellow posters who are both passionate & knowledgeable, not just Texans but league wide. Making a intelligent, insightful pick for another team, without compromise is a sacrifice we do in the name of gamesmanship & betterment of our fellow NFL brethren, it's what we do in our pastime, just wanted to get that out there

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-13-2014   #28
AngryNateFTW
Veteran

Rep Power: 17553 AngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedAngryNateFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRingo View Post
Enjoyed your analysis here and comments. This may happen. Wonder if the Wyoming QB might also be a possibility at 33...
That throwing motion of his isn't worth the 33rd pick. Makes me sick. (Brett Smith)

To the OP, Like the Mock. It's either we go QB or Clowney at #1, I don't see any other way around it.

Want to see more from Garoppolo before drafting him at #33. Played VERY well in the East-West, fell back down to reality in the Senior Bowl. Not a deal-breaker for me, I just don't know if i'm quite ready to make him the #33 pick but he really impressed me at the East-West.

Between the 3 QB's that we might possibly take at #1, (if we don't go Clowney) i've got them rated like this:

1a.) Manziel
1b.) Bridgewater
3.) Bortles

If we take a QB at #1, (I would prefer Manziel but i'd take Bridgewater without blinking an eye) i'd like to take Ra'Shede Hageman NT/DE Minnesota at #33.

1. Manziel
2. Hageman

I really like that right there!

But if Garoppolo tests out well at the Combine and impresses while he's in Indy, i'd take your draft in a heartbeat!
AngryNateFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryNateFTW View Post
That throwing motion of his isn't worth the 33rd pick. Makes me sick. (Brett Smith)

To the OP, Like the Mock. It's either we go QB or Clowney at #1, I don't see any other way around it.

Want to see more from Garoppolo before drafting him at #33. Played VERY well in the East-West, fell back down to reality in the Senior Bowl. Not a deal-breaker for me, I just don't know if i'm quite ready to make him the #33 pick but he really impressed me at the East-West.

Between the 3 QB's that we might possibly take at #1, (if we don't go Clowney) i've got them rated like this:

1a.) Manziel
1b.) Bridgewater
3.) Bortles

If we take a QB at #1, (I would prefer Manziel but i'd take Bridgewater without blinking an eye) i'd like to take Ra'Shede Hageman NT/DE Minnesota at #33.

1. Manziel
2. Hageman

I really like that right there!

But if Garoppolo tests out well at the Combine and impresses while he's in Indy, i'd take your draft in a heartbeat!
good stuff, thanks!

Escapability (if that is a real word?) from the pocket is really what I would like to see from next Texan signal caller, which describes Bridewater to a T. Absolutely horrified that a very well respected NFL crew of former scouts would rank him #10th overall prospect (superimposed under original mock draft) really? He possess everything you look for with exception of core strength which transcends to deep ball. Then all one has to do is think back to Brady when he came out of Michigan then you realize Teddy is miles ahead & with the former Patriot QB coach I don't worry as much or fear much downside from taking him.

Garoppolo is a bigger, stronger version of Case, I think they would make a nice tandem to lead this franchise forward with intimidating defense to fall back on (taking Clowney). His 66% Completion is every bit on par with big boys, 53 TD's & over 5,000 yards speaks volumes of productivity. All variables but a lot to like. I'll wager combine measurable will be close, very close in height, Jimmy will get him by 10 lbs weight wise, love to see complete workouts. If they release wonderlic scores, which doubt Teddy will kill it, this is something important to O'Brian. Brady scored something like 33, expect Bridgewater to exceed 40, but if Garoppolo does 33 or more that will help his cause. Russell Wilson had a 28 while Kaepernick scored 37.

In the end I like his footwork, his mechanics & release. Very hard, very difficult to rate QB's worth moving forward, position can sink or swim a franchise, hence the added value. Even I will admit there will be higher rated players available, now, but moving forward that is the question?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-13-2014   #30
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Do not want clowney. I am almost sure that he will be a five year rental. No way that the Texans are able to keep both watt and Clowney after his rookie contract.
Wrong

The Cap is going up significantly when the new TV deal kicks in. The CBA as it is right now allows for 5 large contracts.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm picking for the Lions and I like Ebron for them a lot.

Thoughts?

I doubt Watkins will be there at 10. If he is He's the pick.

Last edited by steelbtexan; 02-13-2014 at 11:22 PM.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #32
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
yes, agreed. that is problem with bypassing OT early, especially with twice as many teams needing tackles (takes two LT/RT) as franchise QB's. Texans sure needed a pair last season didn't they? one just ain't going to cut it unless you want your QB to lose his confidence, his job or suffer injury. only way to avoid this is plus offensive line protection & mobile QB, hence see emphasis on top rated QB's who have mobility in this draft.
That is why I would go Jake Matthews.
Quote:
STRENGTHS: Matthews is quick off the snap and uses his long, strong arms and good mobility to control his opponents when pass blocking. While perhaps not an elite athlete, he plays with the technique and tenacity to make his father proud, controlling opponents with good initial quickness, excellent knee bend and balance and terrific upper-body strength. Matthews is a terrific run blocker. Though athletic enough to surprise defenders with an occasional chop block or slipping out to the second level to nail a linebacker, he's at his best simply driving defensive ends off the ball and creating lanes for A&M's running backs to slice through. Once he gets his hands on his opponent, he exhibits an ability to dictate the matchup. Strong lower-half drive and displays a good understanding of leverage when he can establish low position against thicker defenders.
WEAKNESSES: Matthews can get himself in trouble when he stops moving his feet and his lack of elite foot speed and balance may limit just how high he can go on draft day. At times, he'll bend his arms and lock his knees when opposing a strong bull-rush and appears "light" occasionally in power-on-power situations.
COMPARES TO: Joe Staley, OT, San Francisco 49ers - Though Matthews won't blow anyone away with his athleticism, like Staley he's a sound technician with impressive toughness who exhibits no major weaknesses, and is tough to beat in both facets of the offense.
Clowney has maturity questions.
Any of the QBs we'd take at 1-1 have questions of their own. Is Manziel mature enough and/or big enough?
Is Bridgewater sturdy enough?
Is Bortles really all that good?
Too many questions for my tastes
Given Matthews bloodline, you know he has the work ethic. People keep drooling about what might be with Watt and Clowney on opposite sides of the D-line. I dream about how solid our O-line would be for the next 5-6-7 years with D. Brown and Matthews as bookend tackles and Myers in the middle.
Plus if your original mock is right, all the decent tackle prospects will be gone by the third round.

IMHO, Matthews is the least risky pick in a definite position of need.... dire need.

Edit: I can't believe SteelB isn't singing "please pick Matthews" from the rooftops...
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I'm picking for the Lions and I like Ebron for them a lot.

Thoughts?

I doubt Watkins will be there at 10. If he is He's the pick.
I could see Ebron..... I also think Watkins is the best player in this draft & they'd be silly to pass on him if the first 9 teams did. But I don't think he'll be there.

They've got good talent on both sides of the ball & I really can't see that one piece that they're missing. They're a conundrum to me right now, which is why I asked.
Old 02-14-2014   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I could see Ebron..... I also think Watkins is the best player in this draft & they'd be silly to pass on him if the first 9 teams did. But I don't think he'll be there.

They've got good talent on both sides of the ball & I really can't see that one piece that they're missing. They're a conundrum to me right now, which is why I asked.
if Ebron moves higher that will also help pull Jace Amaro up as well. unless a team has a glaring hole @ WR a deep class will always push prospects little further down than expected but once a team selects one there could be serious run on them.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-14-2014   #35
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52391 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

In a Quarterback driven league, where the QB is the most important player on every team, where 7 teams in the top 11 picks are in desperate need of a QB, I think (3) QBs in the first 3-4 picks and (4) QBs in the Top 11 picks will be closer to reality.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

It's very possible that Greg Robinson will be the highest rated player on the Texans board as well majority of NFL teams when all is said & done. Raw talent with huge upside who demonstrated exceptional growth as player in one short season. He is a devastating power blocker, with long arms, massive lower body strength, in all the tape I watched was beaten only once & had no impact on the game or play. If Texans stay true to their draft board he in fact should be at the top. He would start on the right side, learn the ropes, develop then eventually replace Duane Brown left tackle. In the meantime OL woes are solved. Rams are just hoping Texans don't trade down so a team could move up & take him. Everybody is talking Clowney & the QB's, some Watkins but this kid makes the most sense, he is just such a riser & late bloomer.

Would like some feedback in regards to proposition of selecting Greg Robinson 1st overall. His draft grade #2 rated overall on most boards suggests at least from BPA standpoint he will be in discussion. The gap between him & Matthews will probably widen, post combine in the ALL underwear competition, but also expect him to look really fluid in drills & larger in measurements. If Clowney cannot interview well or questions remain about his health, he could slide just enough that Robinson could overtake him as consensus #1 overall prospect. I know this he will be rated higher than last years #1 overall draft pick, Eric Fisher as Joeckel was rated higher than his teammate Jake Matthews as a LT prospect.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 02-15-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2014   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would like some feedback in regards to proposition of selecting Greg Robinson 1st overall.
I don't think the Texans would take a OT at 1-1. But, it would be good to show interest, because you never know who might like the guy enough to trade up.

The way I'm looking at the draft right now is that I like all of the top QBs and I like Clowney. But, everyone of the QBs has cons, and Clowney does, too. So, I would like to see a trade down anywhere in the top 5. I'm OK with any of them, so the best thing is to maximize the pick and bring in as much talent as possible.

Of course, that's easier said than done. But the Texans should at least attempt to work the draft.
Old 02-16-2014   #38
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think the Texans would take a OT at 1-1. But, it would be good to show interest, because you never know who might like the guy enough to trade up.

The way I'm looking at the draft right now is that I like all of the top QBs and I like Clowney. But, everyone of the QBs has cons, and Clowney does, too. So, I would like to see a trade down anywhere in the top 5. I'm OK with any of them, so the best thing is to maximize the pick and bring in as much talent as possible.

Of course, that's easier said than done. But the Texans should at least attempt to work the draft.
thanks!

It's a good discussion. Greg Robinson could just be the highest graded player in this draft when all is said & done. Texans biggest hole was actually OT. It's not a terrible idea or pick. Robinson with Brooks would be elite & right side could go from worst to best in one year

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-16-2014   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
thanks!

It's a good discussion. Greg Robinson could just be the highest graded player in this draft when all is said & done. Texans biggest hole was actually OT. It's not a terrible idea or pick. Robinson with Brooks would be elite & right side could go from worst to best in one year
I originally wanted an OT with the first pick. Some thought it was because Matthews was from A&M.... I couldn't care less. If Robinson is the best OT, I'd take him. Well... right now I'm thinking Watkins is going to be the best player in this draft...

But I wouldn't have a problem taking Robinson. We play two offensive tackles, pushing Duane Brown can't hurt us, & if something were to happen to the big guy, we're still covered. With the new CBA, it's not going to hurt us cap wise, 4~5 years from now, we'll make a business decision.

I'd love to dominate on the OL. I'd love to have a league leading run game, & T.O.P. allowing our defense to sell out whenever they get on the field, get us the ball back.

Robinson in the first, Amaro in the second, Garopollo/Murray/McCarron in the third.
Old 02-17-2014   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
I originally wanted an OT with the first pick. Some thought it was because Matthews was from A&M.... I couldn't care less. If Robinson is the best OT, I'd take him. Well... right now I'm thinking Watkins is going to be the best player in this draft...

But I wouldn't have a problem taking Robinson. We play two offensive tackles, pushing Duane Brown can't hurt us, & if something were to happen to the big guy, we're still covered. With the new CBA, it's not going to hurt us cap wise, 4~5 years from now, we'll make a business decision.

I'd love to dominate on the OL. I'd love to have a league leading run game, & T.O.P. allowing our defense to sell out whenever they get on the field, get us the ball back.

Robinson in the first, Amaro in the second, Garopollo/Murray/McCarron in the third.
I keep catching myself starting to explain how Rick Smith must earn his keep & find a trading partner but need to stay focused on discussing prospects as they lie. Let's put it another way, Texans cannot afford to miss with 1st overall pick, it's worth a lot either way. Robinson is a safe pick with a huge upside that fills priority need. doubt Amaro will still be there #33? they can probably get CJ Fiedorowicz in 3rd, he's a better blocker anyway just more of a plugger but still has excellent hands, pair these two picks together & Texans can completely repair their maligned OL. The 2nd round selection if we're still talking BPA could very well be WR, that doesn't hurt next QB chances for success either. Have some real good ones here, Allen Robinson, Penn State who O'Brian knows very well, the LSU law firm of Beckham & Landry, all three worthy & great NFL prospects. Can Texans wait until the 4th rd. to select a QB? If they address this need in free agency they just might. So based off tape, very Bradyesque coming out of Michigan, is Jeff Mathews, Cornell, 6030 225. Very impressed with his mechanics, intelligence & feel he is just the type of young developmental QB O'Brain can mold into a franchise player.

That's first four picks plus free agent signing to ignite Texan offense. Texans should also gain a couple compensatory (non-trade-able picks) that's five picks for the defense. NT, OLB, ILB, DB, DE. I could make those selections as well but won't bore you, feel like I'm getting long winded & beer is talking to me again

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read