Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-14-2014   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Nose Tackle Louis Nix

As are some of you, I am constantly searching for bits of info on players. Not much in this article about his actual progress but does go specifically into his meniscus surgery and offers eval from Matt Miller as second round pick. My concern is his weight (345) and if it is bone on bone.

Perhaps CNNND can offer input. Unless he can be said to be ready to play game one, I would not draft him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-the-nfl-draft
Old 02-14-2014   #2
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nose Tackle Louis Nix

Nix is a definite fit for Crennel's defense. In the 3 games I watched, Nix could not anchor and was easily blocked 1 on 1 by the OC or the OG.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Nix is a definite fit for Crennel's defense. In the 3 games I watched, Nix could not anchor and was easily blocked 1 on 1 by the OC or the OG.
Reading your posts are like reading emails from my 12 y/o brothers. Actually, that might be a little harsh... to my brothers.

EDIT-
badboy- I am very uncomfortable mocking Nix III to us at this point. That injury worries me, his weight history worries me, and the last couple games he played worried me.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #4
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Reading your posts are like reading emails from my 12 y/o brothers. Actually, that might be a little harsh... to my brothers.

EDIT-
badboy- I am very uncomfortable mocking Nix III to us at this point. That injury worries me, his weight history worries me, and the last couple games he played worried me.
apparently you must be infatuated with the girth....
Old 02-14-2014   #5
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
apparently you must be infatuated with the girth....
No idea what you are trying to say here. I clearly stated that I would not be comfortable taking Nix in the second.

I am curious as to why Nix is perfect for Crennel's defense since he can't (in your opinion) anchor and is easily blocked 1-on-1. What about that makes him a perfect fit?
Old 02-14-2014   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm so confused!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #7
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No idea what you are trying to say here. I clearly stated that I would not be comfortable taking Nix in the second.

I am curious as to why Nix is perfect for Crennel's defense since he can't (in your opinion) anchor and is easily blocked 1-on-1. What about that makes him a perfect fit?
I have no idea why my comment, that in the 3 games I watched I found Nix unable to anchor and was often blocked by 1 OG or 1 OC is the equivalent of a 12 yr old email, or worse insulting to 12 yr old emails. (maybe I am a 12 year old a heart)

Nix is a good fit Crennel's defense because the history of a Crennel defense starts with a two gap NG (usually a man of girth) which is exactly what Nix is. My opinion is not absolute. I think you will find that many more will disagree with my findings regarding Nix than agree. Many will also say that Nix did not play well the 2nd half of the season due to injury.

As to the "girth" comment, you will also find that many here think that BIG is better, regardless.
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2014   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Translation: he looks like a NT but doesn't perform like one.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Translation: he looks like a NT but doesn't perform like one.
So my question to Texian. How does a NT who cant take on 2 blockers fit in Crennel's defense that begins with a NT who needs to be able to take up 2 blockers?
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have no idea why my comment, that in the 3 games I watched I found Nix unable to anchor and was often blocked by 1 OG or 1 OC is the equivalent of a 12 yr old email, or worse insulting to 12 yr old emails. (maybe I am a 12 year old a heart)

Nix is a good fit Crennel's defense because the history of a Crennel defense starts with a two gap NG (usually a man of girth) which is exactly what Nix is. My opinion is not absolute. I think you will find that many more will disagree with my findings regarding Nix than agree. Many will also say that Nix did not play well the 2nd half of the season due to injury.

As to the "girth" comment, you will also find that many here think that BIG is better, regardless.
Not speaking for 65 but your post he referred to was bit confusing for me also as you said he was good fit then said he could not anchor which is a must in what we need. Seems to say a poor NT is what we need. Prior to injury he has slimmed to about 330 IIRC but probably ballooned to 350. Huge guys with feet/knee injuries regardless of sport (seen lots of this in basketball) cause me concern. I am looking at Tuitt as the second pick with or without trade down as he can replace Ninja and support NT at 312 lbs. I still like Carrethers 4-5th round.
Old 02-14-2014   #11
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:

I get that 2Gaps are the bigger guys. But they are also guys that you want to be able to anchor. Thus, if Nix can't anchor, then he is a poor fit for Crennel's D, regardless of his size.

Quote:
But I never did, so your post was asinine.
Old 02-14-2014   #12
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
So my question to Texian. How does a NT who cant take on 2 blockers fit in Crennel's defense that begins with a NT who needs to be able to take up 2 blockers?
Maybe you think he can, I might be wrong. Regardless, Crennel's history shows his preference for large tow gap NGs.
Old 02-14-2014   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Prior to injury, Nix regularly took on 2 blockers. His fat content is way too much but what got my attention during 2012 season and continuing up to tear was his willingness to follow the ball to sidelines. As he gains experience, he will save strength on some of those plays by adjusting his angles & remain in game longer.
Old 02-14-2014   #14
rmartin65
I'm Score

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Not speaking for 65 but your post he referred to was bit confusing for me also as you said he was good fit then said he could not anchor which is a must in what we need. Seems to say a poor NT is what we need. Prior to injury he has slimmed to about 330 IIRC but probably ballooned to 350. Huge guys with feet/knee injuries regardless of sport (seen lots of this in basketball) cause me concern. I am looking at Tuitt as the second pick with or without trade down as he can replace Ninja and support NT at 312 lbs. I still like Carrethers 4-5th round.
These 2 guys get it.

BB- I like Tuitt, but I think he is more of a DE in the 3-4. When we shift to the 4-3 though, he would make a good DT. I would be thrilled with him in the second. I like Carrethers too.
Old 02-14-2014   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You make no sense. You say he is easily blocked but he is perfect. Maybe it's all those years of reading Rob Rang.
Old 02-14-2014   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Tuitt is much like Watt. His best fit would be a 34 DE but he could spin down to DT on a four man line.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #17
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I get that 2Gaps are the bigger guys. But they are also guys that you want to be able to anchor. Thus, if Nix can't anchor, then he is a poor fit for Crennel's D, regardless of his size.

But I never did, so your post was asinine.
asinine, NO! Wrong, Yes!
Old 02-14-2014   #18
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Deleted bro!
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think Tuitt is much like Watt. His best fit would be a 34 DE but he could spin down to DT on a four man line.
6'6.5" 312 lbs 20 YOA with strong legs, good anchor and balance with quick feet/slide and balance seems perfect replacement to Ninja in what we think will be Crennel's D. His explosion and upper body strength as he focuses on his target are eye catching. Despite having to recover from off season hernia surgery (I now relate to that) and having to regain playing shape, he still had 7.5 sacks and 48 tackles this season.
Old 02-14-2014   #20
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Let me beak it down this way, I do understand that there are some 12 year olds who read this board (see what I did there). Nix is in the mold of a Crennel NG, his size matches ideally with Wilfork and Poe (former Crennel NGs). I do not know how effective Nix will be but from games I watched I am skeptical. I have explained what I saw in games that I watched. Me, personally I would pass on Nix. I am not sure he will as effective as Raji who I consider barely average and ordinary. However, there are many here who disagree with me and think Nix will be a solid NG.

Regarding Tuitt, I watched Tuitt in the same 3 games I watched Nix. In those games I noticed Tuitt played straight up and lost or played without leverage. To often Tuitt was taken out of the play by the opposing TE. Tuitt didn't appear to play with much strength. It will be interesting to see how Tuitt test at the combine, particularly his 225 reps, broad jump and vertical. I hope this clarifies my explanation, sorry for the confusion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read