Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-14-2014   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

From the article.
Quote:
Mallett had the reputation coming out of college of being an exceptionally talented athlete, but having some off-field baggage. He fell into the third round and was the seventh quarterback taken, despite the Patriots declaring that they had him as the highest-rated quarterback on their board, ahead of even Cam Newton (who went #1 overall that year), Andy Dalton, and others. He has thrown just four passes in his career, completing one for 17 yards and throwing an interception.
Interesting. The Patriots rated a 3rd round QB higher than four 1st round prospects.

Of course, that could just be Belichick-speak.
Old 02-14-2014   #122
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Take this with a grain of salt...
Quote:
According to NFL insider Gil Brandt, the Texans are reportedly trying to pull off a trade with the Patriots, as they look to send their second round pick for upcoming 2014 NFL Entry Draft to the Pats for the 6"6' pocket passer Mallett.
http://www.latinopost.com/articles/3...ots-roster.htm
So.. you've got Rick Smith on one side of the table & Bill Belichick on the other......

I don't think this will end well for us.
Old 02-14-2014   #123
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to lie. That little sports science deal on mallet got me kind if excited.

Not sure what to make of his game film though.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #124
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
From the article.
Interesting. The Patriots rated a 3rd round QB higher than four 1st round prospects.

Of course, that could just be Belichick-speak.
I think it's more of "Hey, if you want this guy, you better pony-up the picks!"

We have seen the Patriots and Eagles do this recently with Cassel and Kolb. They develop a mid-round pick into a decent talent, and then trade him away for a 2nd round pick and some throw-ins. There was even some talk a few offseasons ago of teams willing to give a 3rd for Mike Kafka. I think it's a great idea, especially if you have a coach with a good history of developing QBs.
Old 02-14-2014   #125
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 74123 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Why give up a high pick for Mallet, who is completely unproven, in the last year of his contract? Makes absolutely no sense at all to me when we can use a second of our own on a QB if we're not sold on Bridgewater or Manziel and have them under team control for awhile without a huge cap hit. Are we the only team who can't try to draft a freaking franchise QB in the NFL? Why are we only happy picking up other team's back-ups to start?

And if we trade for him and he's awesome, then what? We franchise him when we're in cap trouble? Alternately we can sign him after we trade for him but I doubt he'd want to do that without testing the market.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #126
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 224191 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
Why give up a high pick for Mallet, who is completely unproven, in the last year of his contract? Makes absolutely no sense at all to me when we can use a second of our own on a QB if we're not sold on Bridgewater or Manziel and have them under team control for awhile without a huge cap hit. Are we the only team who can't try to draft a freaking franchise QB in the NFL? Why are we only happy picking up other team's back-ups to start?

And if we trade for him and he's awesome, then what? We franchise him when we're in cap trouble? Alternately we can sign him after we trade for him but I doubt he'd want to do that without testing the market.
Look at the drafts when this is being contemplated. 2007 was JaMarcus Russell, Kolb, Beck, Stanton. Schaub was better than any of them.

There is no reason they can't do a new deal rather than running out his rookie contract and having to rely on the franchise tag. Hopefully it is a smartly structured deal if it happens. He's set to make $777k under his contract. Bump him to a contract without substantial dead money if he doesn't pan out - something like a $3 mil signing bonus, $2mil 2014, roster bonus 2015 and three more years on the contract.
Old 02-14-2014   #127
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It would be the same type of deal that we made with Atlanta for Schaub. It simply won't happen if there is not a contract in place with Mallett before the trade is finished. 2.1 is not a lot to give up if you think Mallett is better than any of the QB's in this draft (which I'm not sure he is).
JCTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #128
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 74123 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Alright guys, I guess it's not as stupid as I thought. I just don't think this dude can move around very much and is dumb as a box of rocks but I will once again have to put my faith that BOB knows what he's doing. I still think Bridgewater or Manziel would be better but I know f all about it.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #129
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

I don't care. As long as we get a good QB that can lead this team to a Super Bowl. I don't care if we draft him, trade for him, or coach up Keenum/Yates.
Old 02-14-2014   #130
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32528 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why give up a high pick for Mallet, who is completely unproven, in the last year of his contract? Makes absolutely no sense at all to me when we can use a second of our own on a QB if we're not sold on Bridgewater or Manziel and have them under team control for awhile without a huge cap hit.
If O'Brien has spent a year or two with Mallet, watched him practice, watched him interact with teammates & coachs, even watched him play quite a bit if only in a preseason environment, you eliminate much of the uncertainty that would always be there with any rookie QB. And obviously it also gives a coach the opportunity to eliminate a prospect, which apparently is no longer an option for O'brien. On the other hand, use a 1.1 on a QB and your franchise is saddled with that player indefinitely no matter how bad he might turn out to be. So if O'Brien likes Mallet, going ahead with him makes total sense IMO.
Quote:
Are we the only team who can't try to draft a freaking franchise QB in the NFL? Why are we only happy picking up other team's back-ups to start?
99.9 % + of QBs who ever lived are back-ups to Tom Brady.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

In 2006 I wanted to draft Vince Young. I would have been happy with Jay Cutler, but that would have been seen as a huge reach at 1-1.

In 2007, I'd have been happy with Brady Quin... but I didn't mind Schaub (who had a bit of a buzz about him from 2006) & Amobi (yup, I'm a homer).

In 2008, I didn't really care for any of the QBs. We didn't have a shot at Ryan... could have had Flacco. I haven't been a Flacco fan since he's been in the league, that Super Bowl run he had did impress me. Then there was 2013. We got Duane Brown in 2008. I'm ok with that. I don't believe Flacco would have won a Super Bowl in Houston with no Duane Brown.

In 2009, I didn't even think about QBs, but looking back, I'd have been happy with Stafford or Freeman. I think Kubiak could have won some games with Stafford/Freeman. That would have been nice. But we were married at the time. Cushing, our pick in 2009, won DRoTY twice that year.

2010, I'd have liked to taken a flyer on Colt McCoy. But the Browns took him in the third. We did get H-Town native Earl Mitchell though. None of the QBs from this class have done anything worth talking about.

2011, This was the year to get a QB. Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Collin Kaepernick. But there were a few duds in there too, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder. We did get Yates though. Mallet was also in this draft.

2012, even better than 2011. Andrew Luck, RG3, Russell Wilson, Foles, Cousins, Tannehill (kinda). Notable duds: Weeden

2013, more blah..... Geno Smith & Ej Manuel. Or Ej Manuel & Geno Smith..... probably really don't matter.

2014, supposedly better than 2013. Aaron Murray & Aj McCarron, two of the more prolific passers from the 2013 season are burried under the likes of Derek Carr, Taj Boyd, & Jimmy Garoppolo, & they aren't even the three "best" QBs in the draft.

Does sound odd that we're going to skip QB altogether in the deepest QB class in a long time.
Old 02-14-2014   #132
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe OB like what's on the roster at QB more than some people think.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #133
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think people are over-valuing Ryan Mallet's trade value. I don't think it would require 2-1 to get him. I think 3-1 would be enough, due to the deep QB class. Think about it from the Pats' standpoint. Whatever pick you give them, they are going to need to draft another backup QB, and this is the year to do it. The have 7 picks, and will likely spend one on a new backup QB, who will be heir apparent to Tom Brady, given the 4 year deal a rookie gets.

Now, if I'm the GM of the Pats, I'd say, let's find our next QB in this draft or next, because in 3-4 years, Brady will retire. Is Mallet the guy? Probably not, so if you can get 3-1 or 4-1 for him, do it. He's going to walk next season, and only give you a compensatory pick at best, and only if you don't sign some good free agents. Sell him while you can for at least 4-1, which is certainly better than the potential compensatory pick you get in return, and find a backup to start training. Maybe the Pats go QB in the 1st, and trade up to take a guy like Teddy or Bortles if they fall. Maybe they take a Murray, McCarron or Garapolo in the end of the 2nd. Who knows, but I know they have to be looking at QB very closely this year next.

If I'm the Pats, I'd take 3-1 for Mallet and not look back. 4-1 would be acceptable, but only on draft day, and only if no one else is biting. 2-1, absolutely, but only a fool would pay that much for him. If I'm the Texans, giving up 4-1 for Mallet would be fine, he's better than anything you will find at that point in this draft. 3-1 is a bit more difficult to say, but probably reasonable.
Old 02-14-2014   #134
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173360 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah they are valuable picks whose purpose is?
To be applied appropriately. If the Redskins can't get more than a 3rd round pick for a tested Kirk Cousins -- which is what I've been reading is the real world value today -- then that's the high bar for me. I don't think Mallett is a franchise QB secretly hidden away on the Patriots bench anymore than Matt Cassel was. But he might be our best bet for a season or two draft value wise.

This is a deep draft in a lot of areas. A 3rd rounder this year might be greater value than a 2nd rounder last year. If the Patriots think Mallett is all that, then lets do a prove-it deal -- conditional 2015 pick(s) based on some performance standard.

I must add that imo we have a lot of personnel changes to make in starters and more in depth. I don't see this as the quick turnaround project Mr. McNair does. Hoping I'm wrong, but...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read