Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2014   #21
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235719 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis February 19-24, 2014

Regional Combine: Several pro prospects worthy of attention

By Lance Zierlein Special to NFL.com
Quote:
"Eat! Go get some money! Eat!"

That refrain (and numerous variations) were heard during drills throughout Saturday's Regional Combine in Houston as participants in each position group encouraged other participants who were there chasing their dreams of playing in the NFL.

Regional Combines are open to all players who are eligible for the 2014 NFL Draft but were not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, as well as players eligible for previous drafts who have never signed an NFL contract and players who have played professionally in some capacity but have been out of action for a period of time.

Here are noteworthy players and performances from Saturday...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #22
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Regional Combine in Houston on 2/8/14... any news?

Did anyone report on the regional combine held here this past weekend??

I know it's a longshot but it happens...
Link
Quote:
Earlier this year, NFL clubs signed players from all nine 2013 regional combines, and 29 teams currently have at least one regional combine participant on the roster. There currently are 118 players on rosters with regional combine experience.
Any word on walk-ons.

Oh and move this to the College/mock draft area if you guys think it fits better there.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235719 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
Quote:
To repeat what I said post-Mobile: Handful of decision-makers told me there could be a dozen players in this draft better than ANYONE in 2013
Old 02-10-2014   #24
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Re: Regional Combine in Houston on 2/8/14... any news?

I put those in the "big" combine thread since they're all run by National:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103995

LZ attended posted.
Old 02-10-2014   #25
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I didn't know one could be proven wrong or right in a combine. No, they can't, I just looked it up.
Gotta link?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #26
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Casey Pachall did not receive an invitation.

Quote:
The case for: His sophomore season in 2011, playing in the Mountain West Conference, was nothing short of spectacular with 25 touchdowns, seven interceptions and nearly 3,000 yards. ... Pachall stands 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, same as LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who is often described as having "prototypical" NFL size for the position. ... By the end of the 2012 season, he was the NCAA's No. 1-rated active quarterback in pass efficiency. In short, Pachall's talent isn't lacking.

The case against: In 2012, he left the team after four games, following a DWI arrest, for addiction treatment and missed the remainder of the season. ... Last year, after a broken arm cost him five games, he finished the season on the wrong side of the TD-INT ratio (6-10) and a career-low completion percentage (56.4). ... Based on appearances, what's gone right in Pachall's career happened before his arrest, and what's gone wrong has happened since.
I still think this guy has the tools and size to be an NFL starting QB down the road. Would be well worth a late round selection. Or you could see if he is interested in Houston as an UDFA.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #27
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Casey Pachall did not receive an invitation.

I still think this guy has the tools and size to be an NFL starting QB down the road. Would be well worth a late round selection. Or you could see if he is interested in Houston as an UDFA.
He will be interested in anyone that offers him a shot as an UDFA. Same way Collin Klein was interested. I'm interested in bringing in any and all of those stories to rookie mini camp, it never hurts to give someone a look.

Whether he makes a practice squad is another thing, maybe even a team, but doubtful.
TexansFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #28
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFTW View Post
He will be interested in anyone that offers him a shot as an UDFA. Same way Collin Klein was interested. I'm interested in bringing in any and all of those stories to rookie mini camp, it never hurts to give someone a look.

Whether he makes a practice squad is another thing, maybe even a team, but doubtful.
You mean the same way Collin Klein received several offers and was able to pick his team?
Old 02-11-2014   #29
TexansFTW
All Pro

Rep Power: 31116 TexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFTW is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You mean the same way Collin Klein received several offers and was able to pick his team?
Interesting that I was not aware of the plethora of offers he received.

I remember him being signed the same day the draft ended on a non-guaranteed tryout offer. That doesn't seem like he was picking and choosing to me if the deal he accepted pretty much sucked.

I also checked this out and saw no mention of all these offers, but maybe he was, and maybe I am just not aware. For this I apologize.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8460/collin-klein
Old 02-11-2014   #30
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Collin Klein hoped he would get selected in the NFL Draft, but when it didn’t happen the former Kansas State quarterback remained confident about his NFL future — for good reason.

Interested teams began calling as soon as the draft ended, and he was quickly presented with several quality options.

After evaluating them with his family and his agent, he decided to sign a free-agent contract with the Houston Texans.

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2013...#storylink=cpy
Link
Old 02-11-2014   #31
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Something I think they should do or maybe I should say wish they would do because it probably involves first amendment issues, but that's restrict disclosure of 40 yard sprint performances to only official times. The 40 is not really very important for most positions except a couple like the WRs & CBs.
So many times are released by the players' agents or others who have a vested interest/bias that the official times often get overlooked.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #32
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Klein was offered a spot by multiple teams as a TE and came to Houston because Kubiak would let him tryout at QB.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014   #33
TexansFTW
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Klein was offered a spot by multiple teams as a TE and came to Houston because Kubiak would let him tryout at QB.
I was pretty sure this was the case, but didn't want to create a petty argument. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2014   #34
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
I dont recall that being the case. Do you have a link or source so I can read up on it?
Old 02-12-2014   #35
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont recall that being the case. Do you have a link or source so I can read up on it?
This conversation came up months ago and I remember posting a link but I can't find it now. I just did a quick search and couldn't find it, and I don't feel like scouring the internet so maybe it doesn't exist anymore.

I do recall that the majority of NFL teams wanted Klein to workout as a TE at the combine and he refused, saying he would only workout at QB.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #36
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
i cant wait till manziel upstages blake freaking bortles and that cross dressing bridgewater.

watch manziel prove the haters wrong.

just watch.
At the combine? How? By looking better in shorts?

None of the 3 are going to throw, but hey if that's not important to you thats ok with me.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #37
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
i cant wait till manziel upstages blake freaking bortles and that cross dressing bridgewater.

watch manziel prove the haters wrong.

just watch.
I hope we draft Bridgewater and Michael Sam just to watch you explode.
Old 02-13-2014   #38
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I hope we draft Bridgewater and Michael Sam just to watch you explode.
Bridgewater should do his combine interviews in drag just to spite him.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #39
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28117 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineFan View Post
Bridgewater should do his combine interviews in drag just to spite him.
At least that would make the choice of who to draft at 1-1 one player fewer.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #40
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yep.

I think either kubiak or Klein himself commented on that.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read