Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-24-2013   #281
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Jeff DarlingtonVerified account ‏@JeffDarlington
Quote:
As has often been case with this story, many premature conclusions. Do not assume - by any means - that Incognito's career in Miami is done.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014   #282
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 347973 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: T Johnathan Martin headed for NFI list, may never return to the Dolphins

Here are Over 1,000 Text Messages That Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin Allegedly Exchanged
Quote:
Through a league source, The Big Lead has obtained the full transcript of over 1,000 text messages Incognito and Martin swapped between October 2012 and November 2013. The messages are what you’d expect from wealthy, young athletes: Incessant talk about partying, drinking, and chasing women. And there is plenty of bawdy back-and-forth banter that at times reads like a fraternity brother hazing a pledge. If Incognito was indeed tasked with ‘toughening up’ Martin – a question Dolphins coach Joe Philbin refused to answer in early November – did he cross a line? The text exchanges should offer some insight into the relationship between Incognito and Martin.

WARNING: Many of these text messages contain X-rated descriptions and explicit language. We redacted email addresses and home addresses, as well as photos and videos that showed the faces of others.
Old 02-04-2014   #283
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

The text messages between Martin and Incognito have been released (NSFW):

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/her....iaP4gxzO.uxfs

Nothing in it suggests that Incognito was bullying Martin. It's a bit vulgar, but it appears they were friends.
Old 02-04-2014   #284
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Edit: nevermind
Old 02-04-2014   #285
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

If that is the most damning evidence, I feel really bad that Incognito's name has been dragged through the mud. He is a stereotypical meathead, but he sure as heck isn't a bully from that information.

I had exchanges with guys at college that could be clasified as bullying far easier than any of those texts.

Last edited by mattieuk; 02-04-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Toned down
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #286
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I read every single text and there better be more to the story.
Old 02-04-2014   #287
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33473 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I read every single text and there better be more to the story.
That is what I'm thinking - however then I ask myself if Martin looked like someone who was being bullied or threatened during the text exchange, and even after the news broke he still appeared to be buddies with Incognito.

If Incognito was acting in a different manner in person, I would expect to see at least a tempering in Martin's responses.

From Martin's last responses, blaming it on the agent, I'm starting to wonder if he's been led down a path that he knew to be a gross exagerattion of the situation.
Old 02-04-2014   #288
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

To me this looks like Incognito had no reason to believe Martin would feel harassed, and Martin never asked him to knock it off.

And now I understand why the NFL was so quick to throw Incognito under the bus. I think this litany of texts is probably fairly common among players in the NFL and I don't think the NFL wants its players to have this kind of image -- using lots of racist and misogynist remarks in their exchanges. So it was easier to just paint Incognito as a virulent racist and bully -- as a rogue, the rare exception rather than the rule -- and hope the matter would go away, and wouldn't be seen as representative of a lot of NFL players.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #289
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieuk View Post
If that is the most damning evidence, I feel really bad that Incognito's name has been dragged through the mud. He is a stereotypical meathead, but he sure as heck isn't a bully from that information.

I had exchanges with guys at college that could be clasified as bullying far easier than any of those texts.
Half of the NFL might be stereotypical meatheads.
But so much of the media that's pushing this is to a large extent composed of semi-intellectuals who've never played football, certainly not played NFL ball, and have no idea what the real NFL culture is about. I mean their ignorance of the daily-life in the league for a player is utterly dazzling.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014   #290
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I got the feeling Martin joined a group of guys that he wasn't like. It was always about getting drunk, getting high, getting laid, strip clubs, etc. He was hanging with Aaron Hernandez's buddies and hard-scrabble guys like Incognito compared to going to the library and movies with Andrew Luck. I don't think he could hang... and didn't have a strong enough personality to chart his own course.

But there has to more about the team culture to this, imo. And the combination finally triggered something deeper in him that prompted his checking himself into a psych hospital.
Old 02-12-2014   #291
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Richie going scorched earth -- don't think it'll serve him well.

Richie Incognito ‏@68INCOGNITO
Quote:
I have no further comment at this time. Please contact my attorney Mark Schamel @WCSRtweet 202-857-4481

FACT: Jonathan Martin told me he thought about taking his own life in MAY 2013 b/c he wasn't playing well. Told me he felt worthless.

I apologize to all of the women out there that I offended with my text messages to my close personal friend.

I'm guilty of being a loyal friend and good teammate. I apologize for my poor language and rude remarks. I've never denied it.

Kenny Zuckerman from Priority Sports.... What do you have to say for your actions? Why did you release the VM. What was your goal ?

Jon Martin---you started all of this when Kenny Zuckerman released the VM to ESPN. The same VM we joked about with @brianhartline

Dear Jon Martin..... The truth is going to bury you and your entire "camp". You could have told the truth the entire time.

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-12-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2014   #292
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He's getting a little too brash here, but I think his patience is wearing a little thin. I still think he'd be better served by taking the high road like he's done in this whole situation. As crazy as it sounds I wouldn't mind the guy filling in at Left Guard for us this year. If Antonio is gone I don't see how it would be a problem.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #293
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
He's getting a little too brash here, but I think his patience is wearing a little thin. I still think he'd be better served by taking the high road like he's done in this whole situation. As crazy as it sounds I wouldn't mind the guy filling in at Left Guard for us this year. If Antonio is gone I don't see how it would be a problem.
As much as he has been painted as a bad guy, after reading those texts, I feel as though I would probably be talking a lot of stuff by this point as well if I were wearing his shoes.

Still wouldn't want him on the Texans he's been a problem at every NFL team he's been on.
Old 02-12-2014   #294
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Quote:
FACT: @68INCOGNITO. Pretty sure I broke the story on the texts of the voicemail, and Kenny Zuckerman had nothing to do with my reporting
Old 02-12-2014   #295
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As crazy as it sounds I wouldn't mind the guy filling in at Left Guard for us this year. If Antonio is gone I don't see how it would be a problem.
The Texans aren't going to invite that kind of controversy. You should know that by now.
Old 02-12-2014   #296
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 141560 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You don't see how having an unstable dumb animal that manages to get himself kicked off several teams would be a problem? Incognito is the epitomy of a meathead and dirty cheap shot artist. He uses those tactics to compensate for the mediocre abilities on the OL. No thanks Id rather the team try to find a better alternative than this bumb.
Old 02-13-2014   #297
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
You don't see how having an unstable dumb animal that manages to get himself kicked off several teams would be a problem? Incognito is the epitomy of a meathead and dirty cheap shot artist. He uses those tactics to compensate for the mediocre abilities on the OL. No thanks Id rather the team try to find a better alternative than this bumb.
I'm looking at the alternative....... I don't like Incognito as a person just as much as anyone else. But from my understanding he has been graded as an above average Guard in the league for a few years now. Is he dirty? Yes. Cheap shot artist? Has been known to be at least to our team. Is he better than what we have on the team right now and probably what we can afford? Probably.

Listen, when I said that I know that its not going to happen. I also wouldn't mind having Calvin Johnson play for us.
Old 02-13-2014   #298
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 80286 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotexan2 View Post
Would you invite him to camp just to give him a little

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

education?
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #299
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm looking at the alternative....... I don't like Incognito as a person just as much as anyone else. But from my understanding he has been graded as an above average Guard in the league for a few years now. Is he dirty? Yes. Cheap shot artist? Has been known to be at least to our team. Is he better than what we have on the team right now and probably what we can afford? Probably.

Listen, when I said that I know that its not going to happen. I also wouldn't mind having Calvin Johnson play for us.
An alternative to bringing Incognito or any other LG to start is to use our own LG, Quessenberry, who will be starting this year at LG.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #300
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
An alternative to bringing Incognito or any other LG to start is to use our own LG, Quessenberry, who will be starting this year at LG.
I like Ques and think he has "potential", but by no means am I convinced that he will be a viable option there after only seeing him for a limited amount of time. Anyone that is convinced of him right now feels that way only based on hope.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read