Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-10-2014   #101
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Hoyer/Ryan Mallet ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Throwing the ball away may have been the best decision. They might have seen a good throw that his receiver dropped. So his stat line may not mean... well, I think it means next to nothing.

To me, the Preseason is about seeing how well players have taken to the system. 20% completion 8 INTs & no TDs would hold less importance to me, than why he turned in those numbers.

Is he comfortable, is in control of the huddle, the offense. Is he making the right reads, the right throws, the right non-throws. Was it a bad play, how did he handle it? Is he seeing what he needs to see & how is he handling what he sees.... even if the answers are not what I want, then it's, what is it going to take to fix it.

Did we try to fix that last week?

Is there anything we need to be doing less of, anything we need to be doing more of... bottom line, can I win with this guy?
The only thing I was trying to point out with his stat line was that he had negative plays. They could have all been drops or throw aways, I don't know. However, without them, you can't objectively assess his QB play.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #102
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
However, without them, you can't objectively assess his QB play.
Hahahahahaha you said objectively.

New to the board?

Old 02-10-2014   #103
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41207 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Hahahahahaha you said objectively.

New to the board?

haha I've been a member since 2007. Slow learner I guess.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #104
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
haha I've been a member since 2007. Slow learner I guess.
I admire your optimism.

Perhaps you should just be like this....

I think it is the boards MO
Old 02-10-2014   #105
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
The only thing I was trying to point out with his stat line was that he had negative plays. They could have all been drops or throw aways, I don't know. However, without them, you can't objectively assess his QB play.
I was not disagreeing with anything you said. My comments were in addition to yours.
Old 02-13-2014   #106
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Hoyer just became a reasonable possibility after his #1 supporter with the Browns was fired -- Mike Lombardi.

And I guess you could say this opens up Patriots a bit to trade Mallett with the option of acquiring Hoyer again to backup Brady... ?

All assuming the Browns draft or acquire another starting QB.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014   #107
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Heck, why don't we throw Brock Osweiler in the group too. We've seen about as much as him play as Mallet.

Old 02-13-2014   #108
gohogs14
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 gohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respectedgohogs14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Hoyer just became a reasonable possibility after his #1 supporter with the Browns was fired -- Mike Lombardi.

And I guess you could say this opens up Patriots a bit to trade Mallett with the option of acquiring Hoyer again to backup Brady... ?

I was thinking if they traded Mallett that they'd bring Cassell back, guess they could do either
gohogs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #109
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohogs14 View Post
I was thinking if they traded Mallett that they'd bring Cassell back, guess they could do either
Why? Neither are the future of New England, I think they've made that pretty clear.

They'll draft a guy, see if they like him. If they do, they'll keep him. If they don't, they'll move on.
Old 02-14-2014   #110
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmmmm

Quote:
Ryan Mallett ‏@Ryan_mallett_15 · 11h
Hello Houston! First time here not playing ball.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #111
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why? Neither are the future of New England, I think they've made that pretty clear.

They'll draft a guy, see if they like him. If they do, they'll keep him. If they don't, they'll move on.
They haven't expressed a judgment on either one. You can't keep potential starting quality QBs around forever as backups without paying them an egregious amount which can't be justified with a cap so you get value for them and get another cheap backup.
Old 02-14-2014   #112
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282041 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Hmmmmm
Ryan Mallett and the Minnesota Vikings

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vi...erback-options

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-14-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-14-2014   #113
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maybe... but I doubt the Texans would be interested in Hoyer. The Browns have 3 QBs under contract next year, Weeden, who is paid for in guarantees, Jason Campbell, who can be cut outright for 3.25m in savings, and Hoyer who is a cheap contract at 1.25m in 2014.

I think Campbell will be cut, they will draft a QB, and that QB will "compete" with Weeden and Hoyer in camp.

The Browns do have about 40-50m in cap space this offseason, so they could make some other moves in free agency to fill needs, and spend picks on trading up to #2 to get Johnny Football. Who knows, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they trade up for Derek Carr....
Old 02-14-2014   #114
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

There's a little movement around Mallett, but nothing worth noting yet that I see...

Weslye Saunders ‏@Wes_Saunders88 Feb 7
Quote:
CT scans & X-rays at 1am. at the hospital w/ @Ryan_mallett_15 and @MarkIngram22 talkin abt where we might end up #NFLCombine2011 #flashback

Take this with a grain of salt...

Quote:
According to NFL insider Gil Brandt, the Texans are reportedly trying to pull off a trade with the Patriots, as they look to send their second round pick for upcoming 2014 NFL Entry Draft to the Pats for the 6"6' pocket passer Mallett.

"O'Brien likes big QBs. I could see #Texans trying to trade w #Patriots for Mallett, going diff direction in draft," NFL Insider Gil Brandt posted on his Twitter account.
http://www.latinopost.com/articles/3...ots-roster.htm

Last edited by Playoffs; 02-14-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2014   #115
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer drafting bridgewater, but I won't be upset with mallet. It would certainly open up the options in the draft from my perspective.

Maybe trade for mallet and then take clowney. If u can get a franchise qb and a guy as talented as clowney I think you have to consider that.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014   #116
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I would not give our 2-1 for Mallett/Hoyer, and would have to think hard about our 3-1. Those are valuable picks in this deep draft.
Old 02-14-2014   #117
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would not give our 2-1 for Mallett/Hoyer, and would have to think hard about our 3-1. Those are valuable picks in this deep draft.
If the coaches believe he's a franchise qb a second round pick is nothing to them.
Old 02-14-2014   #118
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah they are valuable picks whose purpose is? - to acquire players. If you acquire a player with 1 then I fail to see the objection other than you believe the QBs who will be available at 2.1 are clearly superior. The fundamental reality for the Texans is by draft or trade a QB MUST be acquired with one of the 1st two picks. This FA class is a non-starter as an alternative.
Old 02-14-2014   #119
_King_
All Pro

On second thought...i wouldn't even take clowney...I move down a little and take Kyle van noy. He'd quickly expose merciless and brooks reed as frauds.
Old 02-14-2014   #120
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They haven't expressed a judgment on either one. You can't keep potential starting quality QBs around forever as backups without paying them an egregious amount which can't be justified with a cap so you get value for them and get another cheap backup.
In the post I was replying to, the poster mentioned that instead of going after Hoyer, he figured the Patriots would be more interested in bringing Cassel back.

I'm thinking like you... instead of paying either guy to stick around, they'll draft a cheap back up. That guy may or may not be the future starting QB for the Patriots. But Hoyer & Cassel definitely are not.

They may not have said as much (is that what you mean by not passing judgement), but they've clearly moved on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read