Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-10-2014   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Gaine new Director of Pro Personnel

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-brian-gaine/
Old 02-10-2014   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Gaine new Director of Pro Personnel

He was in the running for the Miami GM job, then they went all stupid and he left. Rick Smith haters should love this.
Old 02-10-2014   #3
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It may seem like a surprise for Gaine to even be a candidate since he worked under Ireland in his six years with the team, but Gaine is more of a Bill Parcells protegé than an Ireland protegé. The University of Maine alum spent time on both the Giants' and Jets' practice squads before joining the Jets scouting department in 1999 under Parcells. He then joined Parcells in Dallas in 2005, and again jumped ship when Parcells joined the Dolphins in 2008.

Since then, he has served on both the pro and college side in the Dolphins scouting department. After earning a promotion to assistant GM in 2012, it was announced he would have a more active role in working with Philbin and his staff. If we are to take Ross at his word, the working relationship between Philbin and Gaine should be a point in his favor.

Gaine also has a head start on the Dolphins' scouting process for the 2014 offseason; he is already in Mobile, Ala., leading the team's operation at the Senior Bowl and serving as an interim GM of sorts...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-vacant-gm-job
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read several good things about this guy on Twitter.

I also saw this chart from PFF. I've questioned the "talent" we supposedly have for a while now. I think we have a small corps of good players, including 2-3 elite players. We aren't surrounding them with much, imo.

This chart kinda shows what Gaine and crew have to work with

Old 02-10-2014   #5
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 34380 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post

I also saw this chart from PFF. I've questioned the "talent" we supposedly have for a while now. I think we have a small corps of good players, including 2-3 elite players. We aren't surrounding them with much, imo.

All this chart said was:

Wade got too much credit for Watt, not HARDLY enough criticism for other picks.
Old 02-10-2014   #6
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This chart kinda shows what Gaine and crew have to work with...

click for larger

Added b/c Twing PNGs don't show for all browsers
Old 02-10-2014   #7
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99016 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that chart is pretty good and telling. The only thing I would change is that I think Mercilus is far superior to Brooks Reed, who should be bright red along with McCain, and I think it's hard to tell about Swearinger though I think he'll turn out to be a red after this season.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-10-2014   #8
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Where's the Ninja?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 108546 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
All this chart said was:

Wade got too much credit for Watt, not HARDLY enough criticism for other picks.
How does Wade get too much credit for Watt?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 322585 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Of course I've got to be the outlier.

I don't think our talent is that bad... I think we're closer to where we thought we were when "we" thought "we" were a Super Bowl contender.

Winning cures a whole lot of sht..... players we think are poor, will probably still be considered poor. Passable players may become "elite"

I'm with McNair, we're closer to 11-5 in 2014 than 2-14. The right coach & the right QB.... & a little bit of luck.
Old 02-10-2014   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Default Projected Lineups: Houston Texans

Projected Lineups: Houston Texans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Where's the Ninja?
Quote:
Houston’s assumed offensive and defensive lineups with unrestricted free agents removed can be seen in the following graphic.

Key:
- Player markers are colored per class on a five-step ‘Poor’ to ‘High Quality’ scale based on their overall performance and the league’s elite are marked separately in blue.
- Colored outlines suggest a potential change in class.
- Underlined players will be 30+ years old for the 2014 season.
- Red player names suggest injury risks.
Quote:
Roster Notes

- Because quarterback, Matt Schaub undelivered against expectations to such a degree, it may surprise some we have not rated him lower. He remains though a QB capable of very good individual games (i.e. week one)

- When he’s on the field, inside linebacker Brian Cushing has shown himself to be among the top players at his position but an alarming injury history keeps him just short of elite status.

- Edge rusher, Whitney Mercilus is looking more like a bust with each passing year, but high class performances (such as at home to Seattle and Jacksonville) still give room for hope

- Cornerback Brice McCain showed promise toward the end of the 2011 season, but fell to the point of being our lowest rated CB in coverage in 2013.

2014 Cap Situation

Assuming likely cap space of about $127 M in 2014, without doing a lot of work, they will be very close to that number this year. At this point it appears spending in free agency will at best be limited to one tier two or a couple of tier two free agents and the draft will be the major focus.

Potential Casualties

Letting Matt Schaub walk will save $4M but cutting anyone else that would make a dent could be counter-productive. By and large, the highest paid Texans are the best performers. I don’t, but they may, see the cost of Daniel Manning and Owen Daniels as too high. They can save $4.5M each by cutting them and with Shiloh Keo not a complete disaster at FS, in Manning’s case, it may be too tempting to pass up.

Opportunities from the Roster

David Quessenberry showed something in 189 preseason snaps (178 at LG and 11 at LT) before his injury, so he should have a chance to compete with Ben Jones at LG if the veteran, Wade Smith, is not brought back as expected. He may also be thrown into the mix with 2013 third-round selection Brennan Williams and Derek Newton at right tackle but those three together provide a highly tenuous strategy for the position which has been issue since Eric Winston’s release.
Old 02-10-2014   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Where's the Ninja?
That's a damned fine question; where is Antonio Smiff??

Edit:
...The assumption, I guess, is we will be letting him walk. I notice Wade Smith and Ben Tate are not listed either.

Can we get to other teams' diagrams? I'd like to see how the rest of the division projects...

Editing the Edit...
Back to topic: What the hell is this guy supposed to be responsible for anywho??

Last edited by ObsiWan; 02-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Editing the Edit...
Back to topic: What the hell is this guy supposed to be responsible for anywho??
Pretty sure he is the guy who assesses the Texans roster and the other players already in the NFL who might be available.

Basically this guy says who we should keep and who we should sign in FA.
Old 02-10-2014   #14
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

So does this mean Bobby Greier is no longer with the org?

If so, it's about time.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
So does this mean Bobby Greier is no longer with the org?

If so, it's about time.
Unfortunately, nope...

Bobby Grier Senior Personnel Advisor

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/front-office.html
Old 02-10-2014   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

As someone who's color blind, this chart isn't helping me much.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #17
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

Did not like that Mercilus pick. Just smh at that.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

I'm wondering who made this hire/how it went down...

Gaine has received some looks at being a GM and is pretty respected around the league as a scout, although I think he's a height, weight, speed guy.

And then this little nugget: Brian Gaine used to play for Kirk Ferentz at Iowa -- we all know OB flirted w/Ferentz's son Brian weeks ago.

With Gaine being in the Parcells/Belichick/Crennel tree I wonder how much input Rick was given on this?
Old 02-10-2014   #19
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
As someone who's color blind, this chart isn't helping me much.

Not a problem, here ya go...

Sucks ...errr, "Poor Starter"
- D. Newton, OT

Below Avg --> Adequate
- M. Schaub, QB
- D. Posey, WR
- B. Jones, OG
- W. Mercilus, ROLB
- J. Crick, DE
- B. McCain, DB
- E. Mitchell, NT
- B. Reed, LOLB
- D. Swearinger, SS

Adequate --> Solid Starter
- R. Griffen, TE
- O. Daniels, TE
- K. Jackson, CB

Solid --> High Quality Role Player
- D. Hopkins, WR
- B. Brooks, OG
- A. Foster, RB

High Quality or Elite (*)
- A. Johnson, WR*
- J. J. Watt, DL*
- D. Brown, OT
- B. Cushing, ILB
- C. Myers, OC
- J. Joseph, CB

Edit:
Forgot J.J.'s Elite asterisk and put Foster in a higher category than the article did.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #20
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 113798 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Chart really puts things into perspective. Would love to see how our depth adds up against other teams as well. IMO, the results would be just as bad or worse.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read