Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-10-2014   #521
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blake Bortles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
My biggest issue with Bortles, other than the competition level, is that he's only been doing it for 2 years.

Do you really know a player, watching him from afar, after 2 years? I know George O'Leary was high on him coming out of highschool & has been his coach for the last two years & O'Brien has history with O'Leary, so yeah he can get the scoop from the man... & I would have to think that's exactly what happened if we draft Bortles.

But I'd still be weary.

I agree guys are falling in love with his size and what could be as in projection, when production should always be paramount in evaluation. Its just too big of a risk.
jradMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #522
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradMIT View Post
I agree guys are falling in love with his size and what could be as in projection, when production should always be paramount in evaluation. Its just too big of a risk.
His size, his arm and his ability to run are just added bonuses. The real upside of Blake Bortles is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected, along with his ability to deliver in pressure situations. In 2013, Bortles orchestrated (6) 2nd half come from behind victories. Of those 6 victories, 4 were won in the last possession or game winning drives. That is Montana and Bradyesque.

This is what you need to know about Blake Bortles, game winning drive in Louisville vs Teddy Bridgewater and the #1 Defense in College Football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHSYdNv2C4

2013 Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayD9_uCz4K0
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #523
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
His size, his arm and his ability to run are just added bonuses. The real upside of Blake Bortles is his ability to remain cool, calm and collected, along with his ability to deliver in pressure situations. In 2013, Bortles orchestrated (6) 2nd half come from behind victories. Of those 6 victories, 4 were won in the last possession or game winning drives. That is Montana and Bradyesque.

This is what you need to know about Blake Bortles, game winning drive in Louisville vs Teddy Bridgewater and the #1 Defense in College Football: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsHSYdNv2C4

The only game that he led a comeback in that was impressive to me was Louisville. Some may say Penn St. too, but the Nittany Lions lacked a lot of talent this year. His numbers in the Temple game overshadowed the fact he wasn't very good for most of the game against a terrible Temple Owls team. I watched the majority of that game for betting purposes and couldn't believe how bad they played. It took a miracle one handed catch for them to win.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #524
jradMIT
Veteran

Rep Power: 7120 jradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respectedjradMIT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nobody is denying how good he can be but will he get there? What is consistent in the assessments on him is how raw he is, his anticipation and ability to throw receivers open. Things he will have to progress significantly with to be successful at the next level. I just don't think you can take a guy that is considered raw with the 1-1, you are betting that he will progress and its just too big of a risk.
Old 02-10-2014   #525
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nobody is denying how good he can be but will he get there? What is consistent in the assessments on him is how raw he is, his anticipation and ability to throw receivers open. Things he will have to progress significantly with to be successful at the next level. I just don't think you can take a guy that is considered raw with the 1-1, you are betting that he will progress and its just too big of a risk.
Let me put my own words in my own mouth. I am betting on the fact that in almost every dire circumstance that required the innate ability to produce in desperate situations, Bortles delivered. I don't think the Texans will pass on Bortles at 1-1. However if they do, it could very well go down as the biggest mistake the Texans have ever made in the history of the club.
Old 02-10-2014   #526
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

The bars are open pretty early I see.
Old 02-10-2014   #527
jradMIT
Veteran

Quote:
Let me put my own words in my own mouth. I am betting on the fact that in almost every dire circumstance that required the innate ability to produce in desperate situations, Bortles delivered. I don't think the Texans will pass on Bortles at 1-1. However if they do, it could very well go down as the biggest mistake the Texans have ever made in the history of the club.
Hedging your bets some?
Old 02-10-2014   #528
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll agree with Texian a bit here and it's the only reason I'm entertaining the thought of Bortles at 1:1. The guy is just so calm and collected when the game is on the line... and he delivers. The moment is not too big for him and that's what I want in a QB. Take that crucial "intangible" and add in O'Brien's connection to O'Leary and his offensive/QB mindset - I would be a supporter.

I feel like he's more raw than Bridgewater and won't be as positive an impact as early. I feel like Bridgewater's floor is a middle of the road game manager (a good thing), I think his ceiling is a top calibre QB in the league after Brady/Manning (a great thing). I think Bortles floor is much lower and could never pan out to be a QB we really rely on but I think his ceiling is just as high and he could be a franchise type. He's a much riskier selection to me. But I like him and feel better about his long term potential than the other QBs outside Teddy.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #529
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
The bars are open pretty early I see.
Not that difficult to understand. Texans are at the same crossroads they were in 2002. In 02 not much was expected. 14' is a different story. Do they make the same wrong decision of 02' and return to a decade of misery or do they get it right and contend for the next decade?

Quote:
Hedging your bets some?
I couldn't have been more emphatic in my statements. Either I am Right or Wrong. No hedging here. Let me put it this way for you. The biggest mistake in Texans history would be not drafting Bortles.
Old 02-10-2014   #530
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I couldn't have been more emphatic in my statements. Either I am Right or Wrong. No hedging here. Let me put it this way for you. The biggest mistake in Texans history would be not drafting Bortles.
Or taking Devier Posey over Russell Wilson in the 3rd rd...

Jk
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #531
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans are at the same crossroads they were in 2002.
Wrong. Nothing is the same.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #532
jradMIT
Veteran

Quote:
Not that difficult to understand. Texans are at the same crossroads they were in 2002. In 02 not much was expected. 14' is a different story. Do they make the same wrong decision of 02' and return to a decade of misery or do they get it right and contend for the next decade?

I was being sarcastic, no waiver in you.
Old 02-10-2014   #533
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how calm and collected Bortles is in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. That's his best attribute. His size is a plus. His mobility is a plus.

What I don't like about him is that he is often bringing his team from behind because he put them in a hole.

Against South Carolina he lead a furious comeback that just came up short. Without his three turnovers they probably win, especially since South Carolina played the last three quarters with their backup QB.

His game against Memphis was atrocious. And he certainly didn't win the game. In the final 2:05, his defense forced three turnovers and scored two TDs win the game by 7.

For all the hate Bridgewater gets about his performance against Houston, Bortles was even worse. He had two turnovers and his defense and running game won the game for him. In the second half he had a whopping 59 total yards.

Against USF he had three more turnovers and his defense kept him in the game long enough for him to come back and hit the winning score. Fittingly, his defense forced another turnover immediately after to seal the game.

At his best, Bortles is a franchise QB who will absolutely win you games single handedly. At his worst, he will absolutely lose them for you.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #534
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Wrong. Nothing is the same.
Having the #1 pick in the NFL Draft is the SAME as having the #1 in the NFL Draft.

Quote:
I was being sarcastic, no waiver in you.
I thought that you might be but apparently I wasn't totally sure.
Old 02-10-2014   #535
matts290
Veteran

Rep Power: 18116 matts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respectedmatts290 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Having the #1 pick in the NFL Draft is the SAME as having the #1 in the NFL Draft.
Except 2002 was our inaugural season as an expansion team, definitely quite a bit different than the situation we are in now.
matts290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #536
Texian
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts290 View Post
Except 2002 was our inaugural season as an expansion team, definitely quite a bit different than the situation we are in now.
The difference is in 2002 it was GIVEN, in 2014 it was EARNED.
Old 02-10-2014   #537
Texian
Hall of Fame

Former UCF QB Blake Bortles preparing to throw at NFL Scouting Combine

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...0,6335562.post
Old 02-10-2014   #538
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Texian all I'm going to say is I hope you're still around 3 years from now when Bortles turns out to be another Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert-like footnote of the draft. Like I said in a previous post, he's going to get a coach or GM fired for overrating him. Probably both.

Its always funny when we get to this time of the year and teams start falling in love with certain guys. If the Texans draft Bortles we'll be going through a whole new coaching search again in 2017 at the latest.
Old 02-10-2014   #539
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What does that even mean? Its pointless dribble. So what that they have the #1 pick again. That doesnt mean anything when everything has changed. Current roster, available free agents, rookie contracts, coaching staff. There is no David Carr and no Julius Peppers. Stop pretending like this is groundhog day and we are reliving the past. It doesnt work like that.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014   #540
jradMIT
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Texian all I'm going to say is I hope you're still around 3 years from now when Bortles turns out to be another Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert-like footnote of the draft. Like I said in a previous post, he's going to get a coach or GM fired for overrating him. Probably both.

Its always funny when we get to this time of the year and teams start falling in love with certain guys. If the Texans draft Bortles we'll be going through a whole new coaching search again in 2017 at the latest.
He definitely has the lowest floor of the three guys when health isn't concerned. This year a 1.1 pick might not make a franchise, but it could break one. I'm still of the mind you either take Bridgewater if you believe he can do it (highest floor) or you trade down and see what shakes out.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read