Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 12-20-2013   #21
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109003 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Todd McShay Mocks 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You are wrong. If the RT is BPA and fills a high priority need and can play every position on the line and could be a franchise type player, I draft him in a minute. There is huge drop in quality of players in second round.
Same with QB, IMO.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013   #22
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 62893 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
You. Don't. Draft. A. Right. Tackle. Number. One. Ever.
NOW watching Billy Turner #77 OT North Dakota St ESPN 2. Turner is in my mock 4th RD. Also watching Marcus Williams also in my mock 5th RD.

AGREE NO RT #1 pick or 1st RD in the draft. Wasting a pick.
Texian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #23
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

2/6
Quote:
1Jadeveon Clowney*Houston Texans (2-14)
COLLEGE: South CarolinaAGE: 20HT: 6-5WT: 258POS: DE
Analysis: Passing up on a quarterback here, particularly in-state product Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, might be a public relations nightmare, but that would pale in comparison to the nightmares the combination of Clowney and J.J. Watt would create for opposing offenses. Clowney's production dipped this season and his motor ran hot and cold as the season went on, but he is the most talented player in this class and possesses a rare blend of size, strength and athleticism, and Watt could help him develop his technique and discipline.

If the Texans do end up taking a QB, don't be surprised if it's UCF's Blake Bortles over Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater. For starters, while Manziel is more dynamic and Bridgewater is more polished, Bortles has the sturdiest frame, outstanding mental makeup, good accuracy -- both in the pocket and on the move -- and the proven ability to deliver in the clutch. Plus, Bill O'Brien was an assistant under Bortles' college coach, George O'Leary, at Georgia Tech, so that could provide O'Brien with the confidence to take Bortles if O'Leary gives him the full stamp of approval.

2Greg RobinsonSt. Louis Rams (7-9) (From WAS)
COLLEGE: AuburnAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 320POS: OT

3Teddy Bridgewater*Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)
COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 198POS: QB

4Blake Bortles*Cleveland Browns (4-12)
COLLEGE: UCFAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 228POS: QB

5Johnny Manziel*Oakland Raiders (4-12)
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 200POS: QB

6Jake MatthewsAtlanta Falcons (4-12)
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 309POS: OT

7Khalil MackTampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
COLLEGE: BuffaloAGE: 22HT: 6-2WT: 245POS: OLB

8C.J. MosleyMinnesota Vikings (5-10-1)
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 228POS: OLB

9Sammy Watkins*Buffalo Bills (6-10)
COLLEGE: ClemsonAGE: 20HT: 6-0WT: 205POS: WR

10Mike Evans*Detroit Lions (7-9)
COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 20HT: 6-4WT: 220POS: WR

11Anthony BarrTennessee Titans (7-9)
COLLEGE: UCLAAGE: 21HT: 6-4WT: 244POS: DE/OLB

12Taylor LewanNew York Giants (7-9)
COLLEGE: MichiganAGE: 22HT: 6-7WT: 314POS: OT

13Marqise Lee*St. Louis Rams (7-9)
COLLEGE: USCAGE: 22HT: 6-0WT: 195POS: WR

14Timmy JerniganChicago Bears (8-8)
COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 20HT: 6-2WT: 298POS: DT

15Louis Nix IIIPittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 22HT: 6-3WT: 340POS: DT

16Eric Ebron*Baltimore Ravens (8-8) ^
COLLEGE: UNCAGE: 20HT: 6-4WT: 231POS: TE

17Ha Ha Clinton-Dix*Dallas Cowboys (8-8) ^
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 20HT: 6-1WT: 208POS: S

18Brandin Cooks*New York Jets (8-8)
COLLEGE: Oregon StateAGE: 20HT: 5-10WT: 185POS: WR

19Zack MartinMiami Dolphins (8-8)
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 23HT: 6-4WT: 308POS: OT

20Cyrus Kouandjio*Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
COLLEGE: AlabamaAGE: 20HT: 6-5WT: 310POS: OT

21Justin GilbertGreen Bay Packers (8-7-1)
COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateAGE: 22HT: 6-0WT: 200POS: CB

22Darqueze DennardPhiladelphia Eagles (10-6)
COLLEGE: Michigan StateAGE: 22HT: 5-11WT: 189POS: CB

23Odell Beckham, Jr.*Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)
COLLEGE: LSUAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 193POS: WR

24Lamarcus JoynerCincinnati Bengals (11-5)
COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 23HT: 5-8WT: 187POS: CB

25Loucheiz Purifoy*San Diego Chargers (9-7)
COLLEGE: FloridaAGE: 20HT: 6-0WT: 185POS: CB

26Davante Adams*Cleveland Browns (4-12) (from IND)
COLLEGE: Fresno StateAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 212POS: WR

27Morgan MosesNew Orleans Saints (11-5)
COLLEGE: VirginiaAGE: 22HT: 6-6WT: 332POS: OT

28Kelvin Benjamin*Carolina Panthers (12-4)
COLLEGE: Florida StateAGE: 23HT: 6-4WT: 233POS: WR

29Stephon Tuitt*New England Patriots (12-4)
COLLEGE: Notre DameAGE: 20HT: 6-6WT: 303POS: DE

30Ra'Shede HagemanSan Francisco 49ers (12-4)
COLLEGE: MinnesotaAGE: 23HT: 6-5WT: 307POS: DT

31Jason VerrettDenver Broncos (13-3)
COLLEGE: TCUAGE: 22HT: 5-9WT: 174POS: CB

32Jace Amaro*Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
COLLEGE: Texas TechAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 255POS: TE
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #24
_King_
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 _King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected_King_ is a quality contributor and well respected

I think over the years I have less and less interest in mock drafts like that where someone is mocking entire rounds.

I find mocks that are team specific much more intriguing because they are usually don't by people who are more familiar with that specific team and it also gives me some good names to look at throughout the draft.
_King_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #25
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You are wrong. If the RT is BPA and fills a high priority need and can play every position on the line and could be a franchise type player, I draft him in a minute. There is huge drop in quality of players in second round.
I was disappointed in browns play last year. I would not hate it at all if we took the best OT at 1.1. But it wouldn't be Mathews. It would be Robinson.
Old 02-08-2014   #26
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

So the All Pro Duane Brown has a bad year, with nagging injuries and just like that kick him to the curb? Thank God some of you dont run the franchise.
Old 02-09-2014   #27
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
So the All Pro Duane Brown has a bad year, with nagging injuries and just like that kick him to the curb? Thank God some of you dont run the franchise.
Did I say anything about kicking him to the curb. You sure make a lot of assumptions. Usually far fetched ones.
Old 02-09-2014   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
You. Don't. Draft. A. Right. Tackle. Number. One. Ever.
Agree. Almost kinda.

I won't draft a RT ever. I'm drafting LTs. If I've got to play him at RT... if he plays better than my LT & I have to move Brown to the right side... then that's what I'm doing.

I'm not going to wait for a need to draft a LT, a #1WR, a #1 CB, a pass rusher, or a franchise QB. I'm drafting those guys as often as I can, I can always put them to use.
Old 02-09-2014   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 296677 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL..... Not for long.

Works the same for Foster, Schaub, OD, Jjo....... Ed Reed, even Andre (but that guy don't quit).

I can play two tackles, two RBs, two WRs, two safeties, two CBs, two DEs... why have one guy that dominates & another collecting a pay check?

I'm also always looking for a franchise QB if I ain't got one.

If we're always fighting fires..... filling needs, we'll always be fighting fires. I want to start setting a couple of fires every now & then.
Old 02-09-2014   #30
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Agree. Almost kinda.

I won't draft a RT ever. I'm drafting LTs. If I've got to play him at RT... if he plays better than my LT & I have to move Brown to the right side... then that's what I'm doing.

I'm not going to wait for a need to draft a LT, a #1WR, a #1 CB, a pass rusher, or a franchise QB. I'm drafting those guys as often as I can, I can always put them to use.
Yeah, just ignore different skill sets, pay scales, play responsibilities.
Old 02-09-2014   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yeah, just ignore different skill sets, pay scales, play responsibilities.
So you're saying Atlanta shouldn't have drafted Julio Jones (or moved up to get him) since they have Roddy White?

Or that KC shouldn't have drafted Eric Fisher because they have Brandon Albert?

I want the OLine to be better. Shooting for a RT & missing, I'm lucky to get a swing tackle out of the deal. Shooting for a LT & missing, I may still be lucky enough to get a RT, or a Swing tackle.

I understand the positions are different.... but I have no doubt in my mind that Duane Brown can play on the right side. I'm not saying he can't play the left side anymore... only that I'd rather have two LTs even if that means I don't have a RT.

4 years from now, 5 years from now I may have more pressing concerns than trying to pay them both. One of the two may have an injury of some kind preventing them from even playing at an acceptable RT level, in which case my decision is easy. Cut him & draft another LT prospect.
Old 02-09-2014   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 352273 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...I understand the positions are different.... but I have no doubt in my mind that Duane Brown can play on the right side. ...
Not always true -- it's player specific. Some Tackles are one sided to play their best. Eugene Monroe and Brandon Albert are two who would not switch last year. I have no idea how much dropoff Duane would have at RT.
Old 02-09-2014   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So you're saying Atlanta shouldn't have drafted Julio Jones (or moved up to get him) since they have Roddy White?
Actually I do think that was a mistake but not because he was a potential #1. In any event, Roddy White was 29 at the time so planning ahead is a valid consideration.

By your rule you wouldn't draft Anquan Boldin who does not fit the conventional #1 WR mold.

Quote:
Or that KC shouldn't have drafted Eric Fisher because they have Brandon Albert?
First off it is an absolute joke to compare having Duane Brown and having Brandon Albert as being in a similar position. Albert is a bust.

Circumstances can dictate moves. All the top options were LT's or DE's who would be OLB's for the Chiefs and they were set at OLB.

Quote:
I want the OLine to be better. Shooting for a RT & missing, I'm lucky to get a swing tackle out of the deal. Shooting for a LT & missing, I may still be lucky enough to get a RT, or a Swing tackle.
Different position AND sticking $1000 bet out there instead of $100.
Old 02-09-2014   #34
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Did I say anything about kicking him to the curb. You sure make a lot of assumptions. Usually far fetched ones.
How exactly is giving the benefit of the doubt to one of the league's best LT's over the last few years a far fetched assumption? I would say that thinking a rookie tackle is going to come into the league and play at a high level just because he is a high draft pick is silly.

Quote:
NFL..... Not for long.

Works the same for Foster, Schaub, OD, Jjo....... Ed Reed, even Andre (but that guy don't quit).

I can play two tackles, two RBs, two WRs, two safeties, two CBs, two DEs... why have one guy that dominates & another collecting a pay check?

I'm also always looking for a franchise QB if I ain't got one.

If we're always fighting fires..... filling needs, we'll always be fighting fires. I want to start setting a couple of fires every now & then.
Thats the difference between a fickle fan and a loyal fan. If you want to continually recycle players and never build any kind of longstanding relationship then there will always be a disconnect between players and fans. Its this little thing called loyalty. Some people have it, some people dont. So if Brown comes back next year and is an All Pro AGAIN, please dont act like you knew he would, or that somehow you had his back.
Old 02-09-2014   #35
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats the difference between a fickle fan and a loyal fan. If you want to continually recycle players and never build any kind of longstanding relationship then there will always be a disconnect between players and fans. Its this little thing called loyalty. Some people have it, some people dont. So if Brown comes back next year and is an All Pro AGAIN, please dont act like you knew he would, or that somehow you had his back.
Interesting take, I would say I am loyal to whoever wears the Jersey for as long as they wear the jersey and when they move on, oh well, on to supporting the next jersey wearer.

That is being a loyal fan to the team. There are plenty of fans, loyal to players who crap all over the team.

Players, generally aren't playing here out of loyalty, they are playing here for a paycheck and opportunity. The team is paying them out of loyalty, they are paying them because they believe they can help the organisation achieve its goals. When the mutual benefit expires, one side will move on.

Fans, are just people who commit to rooting for those business relationships to bring us entertainment.

I know there can be exceptions to that rule, AJ perhaps would be one, but really, a lot of us are rooting for laundry.
Old 02-09-2014   #36
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 79827 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Interesting take, I would say I am loyal to whoever wears the Jersey for as long as they wear the jersey and when they move on, oh well, on to supporting the next jersey wearer.

That is being a loyal fan to the team. There are plenty of fans, loyal to players who crap all over the team.

Players, generally aren't playing here out of loyalty, they are playing here for a paycheck and opportunity. The team is paying them out of loyalty, they are paying them because they believe they can help the organisation achieve its goals. When the mutual benefit expires, one side will move on.

Fans, are just people who commit to rooting for those business relationships to bring us entertainment.

I know there can be exceptions to that rule, AJ perhaps would be one, but really, a lot of us are rooting for laundry.
Some would call that routing for the laundry. In fact, that's what I called it when the Astros eliminated all players acquired under Purpora when Wade took over.

I called their utter failure the day they hired Wade (2006) and projected a ten year absence from being competitive. I'm right on track. Some people are just not right for the job. He was still trying to make the Phillies winners instead of making the Astros winners.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014   #37
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Thats the 'win at all cost' mentality. Houston fans are snakebit, and starved for a winner so much so that they will trash players and boo injured guys on the field, and forget that some of these guys are giving their all to bring that winner to this city at the expense of their physical well being and possible life long repercussions hence the amount of money they get paid. Shoot any one of us could have been pro ball players if we would have put in the work and built up our bodies, practiced the craft, ran fast, hit hard etc... You say they only play for a paycheck, but as a fan I would hope that they are playing to become a champion, isnt that what they all say? Fans sometimes get upset because these guys get paid so much and whenever they start to break down, or have a down year, they jump on them and forget all they have done. I cant speak for everyone, but I look at the body of work, and funny that you mention AJ because there were plenty of people here who would care less if he went on to another team to try and win a ring, gets hurt or retires a Texan .."what have you done for me lately" is such a ****ty way to go about life.
Old 02-09-2014   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
So if Brown comes back next year and is an All Pro AGAIN, please dont act like you knew he would, or that somehow you had his back.
What??

I'm not saying cut the man. I'm saying draft a potential LT. Let him compete with Duane for the LT spot. If he's better, he gets the job..... if he's not, he can compete for the right side. I'd expect a first/second rounder to beat whatever we've got at the right side right now.

I don't want to draft a guy & tell him.... that's the best it's going to get for you... RT. I want him to push the man playing LT, I want him to have a reason to want to get better. Whether it's us giving him his second contract, or another team.
Old 02-09-2014   #39
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thats the 'win at all cost' mentality. Houston fans are snakebit, and starved for a winner so much so that they will trash players and boo injured guys on the field, and forget that some of these guys are giving their all to bring that winner to this city at the expense of their physical well being and possible life long repercussions hence the amount of money they get paid.
Cheering for injuries, doesn't make you a bad fan, it makes you a bad human being.
Old 03-06-2014   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

3/06 Mock
Quote:
1Blake BortlesHouston Texans (2-14)COLLEGE: UCFAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
Analysis: This is just as hard a decision for this mock draft as it was for my first back in December. I still have Clowney as the No. 1 player and Bridgewater as the No. 1 QB on my board, but I consider Bortles to be the likeliest choice. He has the prototypical size and mental makeup that Houston is looking for, and my guess is that his weaknesses -- consistency and ball placement -- are things that Texans coach Bill O'Brien thinks he can fix. (The fact that O'Brien coached previously under UCF coach George O'Leary adds a layer of familiarity, provided O'Leary endorses Bortles.) I'm sure some Texans fans will be asking about Johnny Manziel, but I don't think he really fits what O'Brien and this new regime are looking for.

2Jadeveon ClowneySt. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: South CarolinaAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: If Clowney doesn't go No. 1 to the Texans, the Rams will be ecstatic for two reasons: One, it would drive up the trade value for the No. 2 pick (at No. 6, the Falcons are one potential trade partner); and two, if the Rams don't get a trade offer that makes sense, they'll have the opportunity to take the best player in this draft and transform a good, young defense into an exceptional one. Yes, I know that the Rams already have a very good defensive line (and O-line was an issue last season), but in today's NFL, when you're defending the pass as much as teams are, being able to rotate your D-linemen or move a guy like Robert Quinn inside to rush the quarterback on passing downs would be a huge asset. Second down is the new third down. Greg Robinson is the pick if Clowney goes first.

3Teddy BridgewaterJacksonville Jaguars (4-12)COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 214POS: QB
Analysis: I think that if Clowney drops to this spot, he could be Jacksonville's choice as a guy who could come in and be a difference-maker for that defense, playing something of a hybrid role. But unless Clowney is available, I think the Jaguars will take the best QB available at No. 3. I feel as though Bortles and Bridgewater are the two likeliest options, and with Bortles off the board in this scenario, that means Bridgewater. He is the most NFL-ready and naturally accurate quarterback in this class, and he remains the top QB in our rankings.

4Johnny ManzielCleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 207POS: QB
Analysis: The mantra for the Browns is the same as for the Jaguars: take the best available QB. They'll be pulling hard for Clowney and Robinson to be among the top three picks so they have some choices here, but in this scenario the only guy among our first round-worthy QBs is Manziel. I don't know if he's an ideal fit or if he'd be the Browns' first choice, but I'm not worried about his size or arm strength as it relates to playing in cold weather. If I had to rank the top three QBs in terms of arm strength, I'd go Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles, without much difference among the three. And Manziel's 9 7/8-inch hands are plenty big enough to grip the ball in cold weather.

5Sammy WatkinsOakland Raiders
6Greg RobinsonAtlanta Falcons
7Khalil MackTampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)COLLEGE: BuffaloAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 251POS: OLB
Analysis: I think that this choice would come down to Mack versus offensive tackle Jake Matthews. While in some respects Mack wouldn't fill a huge need area, as the "Sam" linebacker in Lovie Smith's defense isn't as important as some other positions, what drives up his value is his versatility. He could cover tight ends when they needed him to and he could also be an impact pass-rusher (something the Bucs lacked last season) when they turned him loose off the edge. Mack is one of the four elite players in this class, and teams need guys like him who can create turnovers.

8Justin GilbertMinnesota Vikings (5-10-1)COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB
Analysis: If I were to rank the two or three likeliest teams to trade out of their first-round pick, the Vikings would be right in the mix. I could see them trying to aggressively move up if one of the top QBs (say, Johnny Manziel) dropped to No. 5, and I could see them moving back if there isn't a QB available at No. 8 in an attempt to grab more picks and take a lower-rated quarterback like Jimmy Garoppolo later. But if they stay put, I think the Vikings take the best player available, either offensive tackle Jake Matthews or cornerback Justin Gilbert out of Oklahoma State. I'll go with Gilbert, the top corner prospect on our board who has excellent speed, size and playmaking ability.

9Jake MatthewsBuffalo Bills
10Mike EvansDetroit Lions
11Anthony BarrTennessee Titans
12Taylor LewanNew York Giants
13Calvin PryorSt. Louis Rams
14Aaron DonaldChicago Bears
15Ha Ha Clinton-DixPittsburgh Steelers
16Timmy JerniganDallas Cowboys

17C.J. MosleyBaltimore Ravens
18Marqise LeeNew York Jets
19Zack MartinMiami Dolphins
20Darqueze DennardArizona Cardinals
21Eric EbronGreen Bay Packers
22Bradley RobyPhiladelphia Eagles
23Odell Beckham Jr.Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)COLLEGE: LSUAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR
Analysis: The Chiefs need to upgrade at cornerback and safety and would also like to add some D-line help, but they could also use some new weapons on offense and Beckham is a good value pick here. He and Oregon State's Brandin Cooks are vying to be the fourth wide receiver in this class, but Beckham is a little bigger and stronger than Cooks, and he's a little more dynamic in terms of his playmaking ability even though Cooks ran a faster 40 time at the combine. He could also help the Chiefs in the return game.

24Kyle FullerCincinnati Bengals (11-5)COLLEGE: Virginia TechAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 190POS: CB
Analysis: The Bengals need a cornerback, and Fuller is a guy who turned some heads with his combine performance. The two big question marks on him had been speed and durability, but then he ran a 4.49 40 and, from what I heard, teams didn't come away with any concerns about his durability. He has good size (6-foot) and long arms and proved to be an explosive athlete based on his test results.

25Jason VerrettSan Diego Chargers
26Brandin CooksCleveland Browns
27Morgan MosesNew Orleans Saints
28Kelvin BenjaminCarolina Panthers
29Ra'Shede HagemanNew England Patriots
30Louis Nix IIISan Francisco 49ers
31Kony EalyDenver Broncos
32Xavier Su'a-FiloSeattle Seahawks

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read